Proposal: TOR - CBJ - CHI

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Understandable, what about an early NJD 5th apposed to an early CBJ 6th? That beats the VGK pick at #153. Probably would come in under pick #130 most likely.
When Toronto got a 5th in the Lehner trade, they paid $190,000.

Chicago isn't going to pay 7 times that amount, in a year with no revenue.

You're looking at a 3rd or late 2nd.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Cap hit not salary, I guess the prorated retention of 1.375m would be significantly impacted by the timing of a deal, I kind of assumed the TOR retention on Lehner had been more.
Foligno's salary this year is the same as his cap hit.

No idea how much will have been paid by the deadline though.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Honestly maybe CBJ just sends over LTIR Dubinsky to ease things up somehow because that's BIG money, along with other alterations to make it worthwhile for all 3 teams, with the third team Chicago receiving something better as well as the Leafs for eating Dubinsky's remaining LTIR salary.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Foligno's salary this year is the same as his cap hit.

No idea how much will have been paid by the deadline though.
I thought it was about a quarter of remaining base salary but with Lehner it would have been ($190,000/$1,100,000)*(4m/5m)=roughly 13.8% at the TDL. Maybe Dubinsky's LTIR contract could be involved (to Toronto) to further help Columbus money wise because that's a big one on their books, but where Chicago & Toronto would receive better draft pick compensation in the same deal. He's on his final year with a big base salary of 5.85m.

Edit: Or even Zach Smith on LTIR out of Chicago or a different third party doing the same if they had an LTIR contract, where the deal would actually help them cash wise

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Honestly maybe CBJ just sends over LTIR Dubinsky to ease things up somehow because that's BIG money, along with other alterations to make it worthwhile for all 3 teams, with the third team Chicago receiving something better as well as the Leafs for eating Dubinsky's remaining LTIR salary.
Yeah Chicago would eat Dubinsky's salary for a good return.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Yeah Chicago would eat Dubinsky's salary for a good return.
I think I edited it to Toronto but yea either way. Zach Smith is also on LTIR in Chicago and out for the season correct? Toronto could eat that cash while Chicago retains on Foligno, actually saving money but not receiving the draft pick, Toronto would get that small pick out of Columbus instead of Chicago receiving it. The Leafs would want to finalize their deals before doing so as they would be absolutely finished accumilating any cap space for the remainder of the season.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think I edited it to Toronto but yea either way. Zach Smith is also on LTIR in Chicago and out for the season correct? Toronto could eat that cash while Chicago retains on Foligno, actually saving money but not receiving the draft pick, Toronto would get that small pick out of Columbus. The Leafs would want to finalize their deals before doing so as they would be absolutely finished accumilating any cap space for the remainder of the season.
Chicago doesn't need to offload Smith. His contract expires this year.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i don't care about precedent, just because someone else did it that way once,
Hawks have no need to do this for so little return,
If CBJ and TML both want this deal, and need the Cap help to complete it, they should each toss the Hawks a 4th

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Chicago doesn't need to offload Smith. His contract expires this year.
I know but just cash wise. They could retain on Foligno while saving dollars in doing so by offloading Smith. No picks going in or out as they're just helping with the CBJ-TOR deal while saving money in the process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad