Proposal: TOR - CBJ - CHI

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Based in comparison to the Blake Coleman trade (and the Lehner retention trade between VGK-CHI-TOR) in which he had 2 years remaining at 1.8m. Was traded for a conditional 1st round pick which ended up being a #20 pick used in strong draft class of 2020, and prospect Nolan Foote. In the Lehner deal, Toronto retained 1.1m of Robin Lehner's contract after it had been retained 2.5m by Chicago, in exchange for VGK late 5th round pick, pick #153). I almost chose a team like Detroit or New Jersey but I figured circling back to Chicago made sense since they partly did both Vegas & Chicago a favor as the third party of the deal to make it work.

Foligno makes a lot of sense for the leafs given his character, style of play, penalty killing, versatility... he can play all 3 forward positions, any line, and adds to what they could ideally role on the 3rd line between Hyman, Engvall, Mikheyev, he & Kerfoot when Keefe puts the lines in a blender. He'd most likely slot on the line of JT and Willie, or he could free up Hyman from the 3rd line to play with either top line.

Columbus Blue Jackets
1st round pick 2021 (TOR)
C Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

OUT: LW Nick Foligno, 6th->5th, 2.75m in retention for remainder of season.

Toronto Maple Leafs
LW Nick Foligno (1.375m cap hit, 50% retained by CBJ, 50% retained by CHI)

OUT: 1st, C Semyon Der-Arguchintsev.

Chicago Blackhawks or whoever
6th->5th round pick 2021 (CBJ->NJD)

OUT: 1.375m in retention for remainder of season.

EDIT: Chicago retains on Foligno but saves cash by offloading Zach Smith's LTIR remaining deal with initial base salary of 3.25m. No draft pick Compensation their way. CBJ could do the same with Dubinsky's LTIR remaning deal with initial base salary of 5.85m to TOR but it would require some sort of draft pick compensation.
The Business Of Hockey

->
Columbus Blue Jackets

OUT: LW Nick Foligno, 5th, 2.75m in cap hit retention for remainder of season.

Toronto Maple Leafs
C Zach Smith (LTIR with 3.25m initial base salary)
5th round pick 2021 (CBJ)

OUT: C Zach Smith (LTIR), 1.375m in cap hit retention for remainder of season

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Toronto got a 5th for less salary retention on Lehner at last years deadline. The second rentention would probably cost a 4th and Toronto, not Columbus, would be the one on the hook for it.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Toronto got a 5th for less salary retention on Lehner at last years deadline. The second rentention would probably cost a 4th and Toronto, not Columbus, would be the one on the hook for it.
*CBJ send leafs an early 6th as part of their deal value wise, leafs send early 6th off to Chicago as part of that retention deal. 1.375m vs 1.1m, late 5th vs early 6th... maybe a slight change needs to happen but nothing significant.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Can’t see this happening, only because owners don’t want to shell out more money for nothing. I don’t think a 6th rounder gets it done.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Can’t see this happening, only because owners don’t want to shell out more money for nothing. I don’t think a 6th rounder gets it done.
I dont know about the value, but retaining 1.35m on Foligno and replacing him with a young guy (ELC) to see what you have still saves the team a pro-rated 350k.
For the other team retaining, I agree having someone eat salary for a pick will probably be a harder pill to swallow than normal. Maybe if your the third team, you trade someone to the Leafs to bury in the AHL? You save the actual cash, and the Leafs dont need to have it on the cap.
For Chicago someone like Pirri who makes 775k in the AHL?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I like the idea of using a second team to retain and get a more expensive player. I do not like the idea of trading a 1st for Foligno. The Lightning trading 1st rounders for bottom six guys does not mean that they are all worth 1st rounders from here on out. Coleman was on pace for 30g the day he was traded. Foligno is on pace for 12. If we were to go after Foligno, I think we'd be looking to pay a 2nd and a better prospect than Der-Arguchintsev, with us picking up the 3rd team retention tab as well.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like the idea of using a second team to retain and get a more expensive player. I do not like the idea of trading a 1st for Foligno. The Lightning trading 1st rounders for bottom six guys does not mean that they are all worth 1st rounders from here on out. Coleman was on pace for 30g the day he was traded. Foligno is on pace for 12. If we were to go after Foligno, I think we'd be looking to pay a 2nd and a better prospect than Der-Arguchintsev, with us picking up the 3rd team retention tab as well.

FWIW Columbus isn't going to move Foligno and risk him not returning if they can't get a 1st for renting him out. A late 1st is the opening bid. Maybe no one bites, c'est la vie.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I’d hope for more than a 6th tbh. It’s only 1 million but Chicago likely could use their free space a lot better than that. There are worse contracts Chicago could take that would get them a future first or 2nd-3rd round picks. Even past the 26 million in space this season they will have at worst 10 million or so in space with Seabrook and Shaw being done playing due to concussions/destroyed hips.

Reactions: Brightwing

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I’d hope for more than a 6th tbh. It’s only 1 million but Chicago likely could use their free space a lot better than that. There are worse contracts Chicago could take that would get them a future first or 2nd-3rd round picks. Even past the 26 million in space this season they will have at worst 10 million or so in space with Seabrook and Shaw being done playing due to concussions/destroyed hips.
I'd give more than a 6th.

I agree it's not enough.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
As others have said, even though Chicago can make it work no problem, buying a 6th round pick isn't enticing.

If Columbus is looking for centers, maybe Chicago can trade them one for a higher pick.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
If I read it correctly it's all pro-rated, so at the deadline it's more like $450k for a 6th rounder.
Was also referring to the OP bringing up CHI retaining 2.5M on Lehner. Either way a 5-6 rounder is chump change for retaining IMO.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Based in comparison to the Blake Coleman trade (and the Lehner retention trade between VGK-CHI-TOR) in which he had 2 years remaining at 1.8m. Was traded for a conditional 1st round pick which ended up being a #20 pick used in strong draft class of 2020, and prospect Nolan Foote. In the Lehner deal, Toronto retained 1.1m of Robin Lehner's contract after it had been retained 2.5m by Chicago, in exchange for VGK late 5th round pick, pick #153). I almost chose a team like Detroit or New Jersey but I figured circling back to Chicago made sense since they partly did both Vegas & Chicago a favor as the third party of the deal to make it work.

Foligno makes a lot of sense for the leafs given his character, style of play, penalty killing, versatility... he can play all 3 forward positions, any line, and adds to what they could ideally role on the 3rd line between Hyman, Engvall, Mikheyev, he & Kerfoot when Keefe puts the lines in a blender. He'd most likely slot on the line of JT and Willie, or he could free up Hyman from the 3rd line to play with either top line.

Columbus Blue Jackets

OUT: LW Nick Foligno, 6th, 2.75m in retention for remainder of season.

Toronto Maple Leafs

6th round pick 2021 (CBJ)

OUT: 1.375m in retention for remainder of season.
zero chance Chicago and rocky wirtz are going to eat a million dollars or whatever the retention calculates to be for a lowly 6th round pick. you need chicago to step in and be the good samaritan to eat real world money, you probably need to offer a third round pick minimum considering they are getting nothing else for this "favor"

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If I read it correctly it's all pro-rated, so at the deadline it's more like $450k for a 6th rounder.
Does the lack of cash flow due to world economics make retention for a late pick less likely? I know the NHL makes about 70% of their revenue through gate driven means (tickets, parking, concession, etc). Does being down 70% in revenues over the coarse of a year make this scenario less likely?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Does the lack of cash flow due to world economics make retention for a late pick less likely? I know the NHL makes about 70% of their revenue through gate driven means (tickets, parking, concession, etc). Does being down 70% in revenues over the coarse of a year make this scenario less likely?
100%. if you're an owner, are you ok paying half a million dollars out of your own pocket to acquire a teams second worst draft pick that has about a 98% chance of never hitting the NHL?

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Thought Chicago would be a market that wouldn't really be phased by retention somewhat like the Leafs, whoever that may be. But year wishful thinking on the early 6th mostly because they had done them a favor last year at the the last minute. Anywhere in the 5th round should be reasonable though, especially early. Maybe this deal would need to wait closer to the deadline, Columbus still has a small chance at playoffs, but I don't think the Leafs would be adding anything more to this deal going to the third party because their price is already a premium/steep, would come out of Columbus but the difference wouldn't be significantly more than an early 6th, maybe one full round earlier to a team that can easily manage eating pro-rated 1.375m or whatever I don't even know exactly how much it'll take to the dollar but it'd probably be close to that.

I was pretty happy when Dubas did it, free pick to a team that spends money left & right un-phased by it.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Thought Chicago would be a market that wouldn't really be phased by retention somewhat like the Leafs, whoever that may be. But year wishful thinking on the early 6th mostly because they had done them a favor last year at the the last minute. Anywhere in the 5th round should be reasonable though, especially early. Maybe this deal would need to wait closer to the deadline, Columbus still has a small chance at playoffs, but I don't think the Leafs would be adding anything more to this deal going to the third party because their price is already a premium/steep, would come out of Columbus but the difference wouldn't be significantly more than an early 6th, maybe one full round earlier to a team that can easily manage eating pro-rated 1.375m or whatever I don't even know exactly how much it'll take to the dollar but it'd probably be close to that.

I was pretty happy when Dubas did it, free pick to a team that spends money left & right un-phased by it.
Chicago has the money, but a 6th still isn't worth shelling out for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad