Proposal: Tor cap clearing trades

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Kap is a player, so returned fair value while clearing cap. Imo Kerfoot and Johnson have little trade value, especially if they are to be moved without cap coming back.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Kap is a player, so returned fair value while clearing cap. Imo Kerfoot and Johnson have little trade value, especially if they are to be moved without cap coming back.
Johnsson is the same type of winger as Kapanen. What's the difference?

Both 20-20 speedy and can pp and pk.

Johnsson is locked up longer too.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Johnsson is the same type of winger as Kapanen. What's the difference?

Both 20-20 speedy and can pp and pk.

Johnsson is locked up longer too.

I would think the injury and the potential amount of suitors could be a difference but we'll see. The Sharks could have interest in Johnsson but not for a 1st round pick unless Toronto is adding something or taking something else off our hands.

Reactions: qqaz

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
I would think the injury and the potential amount of suitors could be a difference but we'll see. The Sharks could have interest in Johnsson but not for a 1st round pick unless Toronto is adding something or taking something else off our hands.

He played in the playoffs so injury likely no concern.

I don't think Toronto taking any salary back.

They will probably get a late first or a 2nd and a sweetner.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Leafs aren't trading Kerfoot.

If Kapanen can fetch a 1st, Johnsson can fetch similar. They are both 20-20 speedy wingers who can pp and pk.
Johnsson is coming off a major injury that could affect his skating. Kapanen played the whole year. Not the same thing. I'd love to get a high pick for johnsson, but I doubt teams are going to pay for a 'maybe' this off-season.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Johnsson is coming off a major injury that could affect his skating. Kapanen played the whole year. Not the same thing. I'd love to get a high pick for johnsson, but I doubt teams are going to pay for a 'maybe' this off-season.

He looked fine in the playoffs. So no his skating is not affected.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He played in the playoffs so injury likely no concern.

I don't think Toronto taking any salary back.

They will probably get a late first or a 2nd and a sweetner.

He played one game for 10 minutes. Saying it's likely no concern is based on very little. I don't think Toronto is taking salary back either but they're probably not getting a 1st for Johnsson given the circumstances. 2nd and a prospect seems very realistic and I'm sure there's plenty of suitors at that sort of ask but there aren't a lot of GM's like JR who don't value picks all that much anymore. The ones later in the 1st round either have cap constraints, no positional need, or will value that pick more than Johnsson.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
He played one game for 10 minutes. Saying it's likely no concern is based on very little. I don't think Toronto is taking salary back either but they're probably not getting a 1st for Johnsson given the circumstances. 2nd and a prospect seems very realistic and I'm sure there's plenty of suitors at that sort of ask but there aren't a lot of GM's like JR who don't value picks all that much anymore. The ones later in the 1st round either have cap constraints, no positional need, or will value that pick more than Johnsson.

His skating looked great to me which was impressive coming in after not playing for so long.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
His skating looked great to me which was impressive coming in after not playing for so long.

But it's still one game for ten minutes where he didn't do anything of note. To say that invalidates the injury difference is a tremendous reach. Kapanen didn't have such an issue so it will likely impact Johnsson's trade value. He's not getting what Kapanen got.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
But it's still one game for ten minutes where he didn't do anything of note. To say that invalidates the injury difference is a tremendous reach. Kapanen didn't have such an issue so it will likely impact Johnsson's trade value. He's not getting what Kapanen got.
He was averaging 13 minutes anyways.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He was averaging 13 minutes anyways.

So he averaged less time in his one game back from injury and you think that's a point to say that his injury isn't going to be a concern for other teams? Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, there is a difference in risk trading for Johnsson that wasn't there with Kapanen. That impacts trade value.

Reactions: go4hockey

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
So he averaged less time in his one game back from injury and you think that's a point to say that his injury isn't going to be a concern for other teams? Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, there is a difference in risk trading for Johnsson that wasn't there with Kapanen. That impacts trade value.
Good first game back and skated well.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Can't see the Leafs trading away an entire 3rd line.

As a Leaf fan -- it's probably exactly what they should do.

They spent roughly $10m on that line last year, and really didn't get much out of them. They've got Mikheyev who's shown he can play in the top 9, and Robertson who should be able to as well.

Personally, I think they need to "redistribute the wealth" on that line -- try to replace Nazem Kadri as a premier 3rd line C, and downgrade the wingers to accomplish it.

Reactions: The Podium

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

I don't think Leafs fans are expecting that at all.

Kap got a mid 1st round pick, partially because the team that had it (Pittsburgh) really likes Kapanen, and because they're a much better team than your usual 15th-OA pick holder.

For Johnsson, I think most Leafs fans expectation is probably a 2nd, and maybe an additional pick or prospect if the 2nd is later in the round.... or to be used in a trade where a team wants to get some immediate help in return.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

With one of our 4th's for 34?

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
whats leafs cap situation ? do they need to move contracts and if so which contracts would be the toughest to move ? and would there be any chance it would cost them the 15th to move a contract because im sitting here in ' the pizza parlor ' (LCA) with all kinds of cap space to sell

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
whats leafs cap situation ? do they need to move contracts and if so which contracts would be the toughest to move ? and would there be any chance it would cost them the 15th to move a contract because im sitting here in ' the pizza parlor ' (LCA) with all kinds of cap space to sell
Only contract thats moving is Johnsson and thats not tough to move at all.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
As a Leaf fan -- it's probably exactly what they should do.

They spent roughly $10m on that line last year, and really didn't get much out of them. They've got Mikheyev who's shown he can play in the top 9, and Robertson who should be able to as well.

Personally, I think they need to "redistribute the wealth" on that line -- try to replace Nazem Kadri as a premier 3rd line C, and downgrade the wingers to accomplish it.
Yup

Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
Korshkov Matthews Marner
Robertson Kerfoot Hyman

Swap Hyman and Korshkov as needed.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
You and many others said Kapanen had little trade value before he was traded too. It's so funny how the little birds change their tunes once they cannot no longer troll Leaf fans. I was kinda hoping my Flyers would have traded for him but not for that price. Glad GMJR is managing the Penguins like he is back in Carolina.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I could see Detroit having interest in AJ and maybe even Kerfoot as place holders. Both can play up or down in the middle 6 forward spots. What about

To Detroit: AJ and Kerfoot
To Toronto: 2020 Washington 2nd, 2020 SJ 3rd, 2021 Oilers 2nd, Glendening

Detroit would still have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds and would improve their team. Neither contract is so big or long term that it will negatively impact Detroit's ability to re-sign their young guys. Detroit is early enough in the rebuild I don't think either AK or AJ would "block" any of Detroit's youth, at least not for a couple years. Toronto clears $5.1 million in cap space and adds a few picks.
lol no chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad