Proposal: Tor cap clearing trades

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Kerfoot doesn’t have a lot of value. Maybe 5-7. If that.
Johnsson I would rather give up Carolina third and Boston fourth. Not a second.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
To LA: Alex Kerfoot | To Toronto: LA 2020 2rd pick
To NJ: Andreas Johnsson | To Toronto: NYI 2021 2rd pick

both are easily replaceable middle 6 guys, and many similar will likely be available in off-season due to flat Cap

the window to get 2ds for them maybe closed with the 'pause'

but who knows? Leafs juts got a 1st for KK .....

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
both are easily replaceable middle 6 guys, and many similar will likely be available in off-season due to flat Cap

the window to get 2ds for them maybe closed with the 'pause'

but who knows? Leafs juts got a 1st for KK .....

Although I think it's aiming too high for Kerfoot (and no way is he needed in LA), Johnsson should be in and around that value. KK was worth a 1st but also to get a prospect like Hallander was a robbery.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd have interest in Johnsson for the Flames. I'd move a 2021 2nd rounder for him. That Kapanen deal was a great one for the Leafs!

Reactions: qqaz

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Trying to clear cap for Pietrangelo? That would mean 5 players get around $50 million. Really top heavy.

Go big or go home.

Reactions: go4hockey

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Ilya Mikheyev for Mikey Mcleod
I.M. is getting a raise from his $925K as a RFA, M.M. has one more year at $866K
Does IMs RFA status make this a no go?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I could see Detroit having interest in AJ and maybe even Kerfoot as place holders. Both can play up or down in the middle 6 forward spots. What about

To Detroit: AJ and Kerfoot
To Toronto: 2020 Washington 2nd, 2020 SJ 3rd, 2021 Oilers 2nd, Glendening

Detroit would still have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds and would improve their team. Neither contract is so big or long term that it will negatively impact Detroit's ability to re-sign their young guys. Detroit is early enough in the rebuild I don't think either AK or AJ would "block" any of Detroit's youth, at least not for a couple years. Toronto clears $5.1 million in cap space and adds a few picks.

Reactions: Hockey 4 Life

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I could see Detroit having interest in AJ and maybe even Kerfoot as place holders. Both can play up or down in the middle 6 forward spots. What about

To Detroit: AJ and Kerfoot
To Toronto: 2020 Washington 2nd, 2020 SJ 3rd, 2021 Oilers 2nd, Glendening

Detroit would still have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds and would improve their team. Neither contract is so big or long term that it will negatively impact Detroit's ability to re-sign their young guys. Detroit is early enough in the rebuild I don't think either AK or AJ would "block" any of Detroit's youth, at least not for a couple years. Toronto clears $5.1 million in cap space and adds a few picks.

Two 2nd round picks, a 3rd and Glendenning for that garbage...GTFO of here. Yzerman isn't Rutherford we fleece you not the other way around.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
kerfoot holds little value but johnsson actually holds decent value imo as a #6/7 forward. I would give up a 3rd + middle of the road prospect or late pick for him

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If guys like Goodrow can get 1sts at the deadline, I don't see why Johnsson can't especially if he spends the season on a bad team where he gets top-6 minutes + PP time. Buying him for a 2nd right now is a move with a pretty high floor, worst case you get a 2nd back if he tops out at 35-45 points again.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If guys like Goodrow can get 1sts at the deadline, I don't see why Johnsson can't especially if he spends the season on a bad team where he gets top-6 minutes + PP time. Buying him for a 2nd right now is a move with a pretty high floor, worst case you get a 2nd back if he tops out at 35-45 points again.

deadline prices =/= offseason prices

Johnsson has 3 more years left on his contract so doubtful he'd be sold off at the next trade deadline

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs aren't trading Kerfoot.

If Kapanen can fetch a 1st, Johnsson can fetch similar. They are both 20-20 speedy wingers who can pp and pk.

Reactions: Ciao

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
deadline prices =/= offseason prices

Johnsson has 3 more years left on his contract so doubtful he'd be sold off at the next trade deadline

I'm not expecting to get a 1st for him this offseason, I'm just saying he's a good investment even if he's not a long-term piece for your team. You'll probably get more than you paid for him in the long run on top of improving your middle-6 while he's playing for you.

Someone like Detroit can give him good offensive minutes and sell him for a profit when their kids start contesting his spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad