Proposal: Tor cap clearing trades

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Yup

Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
Korshkov Matthews Marner
Robertson Kerfoot Hyman

Swap Hyman and Korshkov as needed.

I'd be quite disappointed if that's what the Leafs top 9 looked like next year. They need to get a better 3rd line C than Kerfoot. They also realistically should be looking to add a gritty winger who can play up and down the lineup. Let Robertson, Korshkov & Mikheyev battle for 2 spots.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I'd be quite disappointed if that's what the Leafs top 9 looked like next year. They need to get a better 3rd line C than Kerfoot. They also realistically should be looking to add a gritty winger who can play up and down the lineup. Let Robertson, Korshkov & Mikheyev battle for 2 spots.
If we go younger on wing to improve the defence, I'll be good with that.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
It isnt easy to find a 3C better than Kerf around his price tag. Especially one that could be attained by the leafs.

Korshkov went back to Russia. Barabanov will be in that battle though.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
It isnt easy to find a 3C better than Kerf around his price tag. Especially one that could be attained by the leafs.

Korshkov went back to Russia. Barabanov will be in that battle though.

If they're clearing both Johnsson & Kerfoot, they should be able to spend $4-5m on a 3rd line C.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Johnsson is the same type of winger as Kapanen. What's the difference?

Both 20-20 speedy and can pp and pk.

Johnsson is locked up longer too.
age, size, track record, rhs and injury history are all in favor of kapanen.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
age, size, track record, rhs and injury history are all in favor of kapanen.

RHS only matters on defence not on wing and they both have the same track record. Johnsson is actually more productive.

24 vs. 25 is a thing? Ok...Also they both are the same size, but I think Kap is 2 in taller.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Kap is a player, so returned fair value while clearing cap. Imo Kerfoot and Johnson have little trade value, especially if they are to be moved without cap coming back.
How does a speedy LW that is good defensively and .50 PPG in his second season have little trade value? And he plays up and down the lines.

Reactions: qqaz

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
RHS only matters on defence not on wing and they both have the same track record. Johnsson is actually more productive.

24 vs. 25 is a thing? Ok...Also they both are the same size, but I think Kap is 2 in taller.
let's go over it end of november and i can say, the age difference is two years
johnson 5'10 125g 30/37/67 bd 21/11/94
kapanen 6'1 202g 41/49/90 bd 23/07/96

and just because dubas found a great dance partner for kapanen, doesn't mean, he can dictate the value in future trade talks. i wouldn't offer a 2nd for johnsson. each nhl team has one or more prospects, who could turn into a johnsson like wing given the opportunity. no need to waste a valuable asset and be bound for 3 more years @3.4m cap hit and 7.6m in real money. toronto fans want to trade him, because they are confident to be able to replace him cheaper. he is nothing special.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010

and just because dubas found a great dance partner for kapanen, doesn't mean, he can dictate the value in future trade talks. i wouldn't offer a 2nd for johnsson. each nhl team has one or more prospects, who could turn into a johnsson like wing given the opportunity. no need to waste a valuable asset and be bound for 3 more years @3.4m cap hit and 7.6m in real money. toronto fans want to trade him, because they are confident to be able to replace him cheaper. he is nothing special.

1.5 years age difference.

Dubas literally said we know now our players are attractive to other teams and he wasn't talking about the Core guys.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
1.5 years age difference.

Dubas literally said we know now our players are attractive to other teams and he wasn't talking about the Core guys.
1 year and 8 month is closer to two years than one year.

as i just wrote in the kapanen thread, i think dubas was doing the right thing to look out for cap space early. but if he plans to open more cap space and overvalues the trade value of his pieces from here on out, it could backfire. the available cap space in the league will evaporate quickly with the fa signings and the market condition could quickly turn against teams, who want to move contracts for cap space.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

A players value is what a GM is willing to pay for said player.

Well good thing there is 8 winger spots on a team, one or more prospects can fill those voids.

He doesn’t have to be a special player to get his value. He should have no problem getting a 2nd rounder.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I'm not expecting to get a 1st for him this offseason, I'm just saying he's a good investment even if he's not a long-term piece for your team. You'll probably get more than you paid for him in the long run on top of improving your middle-6 while he's playing for you.

Someone like Detroit can give him good offensive minutes and sell him for a profit when their kids start contesting his spot.

Where would he play on the top 2 lines?

We have Bertuzzi, Mantha, Fabbri and Zadina. He is not getting a spot on the wing over any of those guys.

Detroit is the worst team in the NHL but we are good in one area and that's on wing. Big pass on Johnsson.

Reactions: qqaz

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
whats leafs cap situation ? do they need to move contracts and if so which contracts would be the toughest to move ? and would there be any chance it would cost them the 15th to move a contract because im sitting here in ' the pizza parlor ' (LCA) with all kinds of cap space to sell

"need" is a funny word in the context of your question.

Outside of Matthews/Marner/Tavares (who it does not appear they are interested in moving), the Leafs don't really have a "bad" contract.

They just don't have much in the way of space to make an addition of any substance. Guys like Johnsson/Kerfoot would be the obvious candidates to be moved, but they're both on quite reasonable deals much like Kapanen is.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'd take a 3rd for Johnsson, but I'm not as big a fan as most other Leafs fans. I'd be happy just to get the cap space.

His value, on paper, should be close to Kapanen. That would put it somewhere arounda 2nd plus. But I don't think he'll land that.

I'm sure whatever team acquires Johnsson will be happy with him, though. He's got legit talent. And he meshed with star players better than Kapanen ever did.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Yup

Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
Korshkov Matthews Marner
Robertson Kerfoot Hyman

Swap Hyman and Korshkov as needed.

If Nick Robertson isn't in your top 6 then don't play him. His game is 100% offense. He's small too. Not suited for third line minutes. That would be a miscast of a very promising offense weapon for Toronto.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
If Nick Robertson isn't in your top 6 then don't play him. His game is 100% offense. He's small too. Not suited for third line minutes. That would be a miscast of a very promising offense weapon for Toronto.
Why can't him and Korshkov swap here and there?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

He just played well on the third line in the playoffs lol. He has a grinder mentality, he just happens to have a big shot and good instincts.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
As I mentioned in my post that you replied to and even quoted...

Once again this ain't a video game and wingers move up and down the line up all the time. Lol.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Where did I say they can't?

I said... that I feel Robertson would be more useful to the leafs in the top 6 than he would on the third line.
Do you want me to post potential forward groups for all 82 games? Some he will be in the top 6 and some Korshkov could get a shot too.

Why don't you get that?

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Robertson has a solid two way game for his age and mixes it up physically when he can. He would be more then fine starting on the third line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad