Confirmed Trade: [TOR/ARI] Ilya Lyubushkin, Ryan Dzingel to TOR for Nick Ritchie, conditional 2nd/3rd

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Then we are disagreeing on defense I guess. I agree with you Muzz is the more physical player obviously. Brodie though is more reliable, and by that I mean you can put him with literally anyone and they look good. Muzz - Holl was really good but then sucked this year. Holl has been bad with everyone he has played with but Brodie on his LD. Then he switches sides and plays RD and is the perfect partner for Rielly letting him do his thing and he is always in position back protecting the rush with his gap control.

But Muzz has issues defending off the rush. Unless they are giving him a line to hit, he simply can't pivot at this stage of his career if you force him to defend outside of a defined system, he looks bad. Brodie looks good both in chaos and structure.
How many goal from deflection or from rebound leafs allowed since muzzin is hurt? A LOT and thats was the biggest problem of toronto defensivly this season

Protect from the rush when you playing as a group is a lot easier of battling in front of the net and thats exactly where you win or lost in series. Deflecting shot, get rebound, get screen shot its how you score in playoff so you give me the choice between the guy who will protecting from the rush pretty good but not as good in front of the net or the net very solid in front of the net but as good against the rush, i choose the 2nd choice all the way.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Come on man stop being a homer, a "defensive D" getting 71% offensive zone starts and getting outscored and outpossesed in them is actually a sign that he's elite.
It’s all in the plan. He gets to cross check more because he’s always chasing the play.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
How many goal from deflection or from rebound leafs allowed since muzzin is hurt? A LOT and thats was the biggest problem of toronto defensivly this season

Protect from the rush when you playing as a group is a lot easier of battling in front of the net and thats exactly where you win or lost in series. Deflecting shot, get rebound, get screen shot its how you score in playoff so you give me the choice between the guy who will protecting from the rush pretty good but not as good in front of the net or the net very solid in front of the net but as good against the rush, i choose the 2nd choice all the way.

Ok but let's be fair, Mrazek and Kallgren both struggle with their rebounds and they have started most of the games over the past few months, even when Campbell was still healthy. That is to say, the problem has been goaltending for the Leafs defensively since the new year. If Campbell rebounds the defensive issues go away.

But as for your point, sure he might be better there but if every time Muzz is above the puck he gets turned inside out, it doesn't matter how many rebounds he clears.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Ok but let's be fair, Mrazek and Kallgren both struggle with their rebounds and they have started most of the games over the past few months, even when Campbell was still healthy. That is to say, the problem has been goaltending for the Leafs defensively since the new year. If Campbell rebounds the defensive issues go away.

But as for your point, sure he might be better there but if every time Muzz is above the puck he gets turned inside out, it doesn't matter how many rebounds he clears.
Like i said campbell before muzzin injury 0.931... without Muzzin in the line up hes at 0.850... why? Its just a lot easier for a goalie when he can see the puck, get direct shot unstead of deflected shot and get help on rebound.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
AZ writer Craig Morgan fairly certain AZ will be electing to defer the draft pick they acquired in this transaction to the 2nd rounder in 2025.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
AZ writer Craig Morgan fairly certain AZ will be electing to defer the draft pick they acquired in this transaction to the 2nd rounder in 2025.
That is probably the best choice, but it still depends who is left on the board when the pick is there in 22.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That is probably the best choice, but it still depends who is left on the board when the pick is there in 22.
No question. I just have found the tone of the commentary much more 90% chance to defer instead of a 50/50 split depending on who is on the board.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
A shame about Dzingel, he never played a bad game while he was with us.
I think the Sharks may have claimed him with short term intentions and then tried to give him back to Toronto on waivers where they could demote him and pay him in the minors, something I'm sure they didn't want to do. But, Toronto didn't reclaim him and now the Sharks are stuck with paying the bill on Dzingel. In a way it looks like a strategic move to stick it to a team for claiming a player, when so many are claimed from Toronto. It shows other teams that there are ways to lose by claiming a player on waivers.

In terms of the trade. The conditional pick for a Lyubushkin rental and Hutton and Dzingel for Ritchie, where immediately it became Hutton for Ritchie. Or essentially free, was a fair trade at the time. If Lyub re-signs for a limited cap hit this deal works out well for both teams.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think the Sharks may have claimed him with short term intentions and then tried to give him back to Toronto on waivers where they could demote him and pay him in the minors, something I'm sure they didn't want to do. But, Toronto didn't reclaim him and now the Sharks are stuck with paying the bill on Dzingel. In a way it looks like a strategic move to stick it to a team for claiming a player, when so many are claimed from Toronto. It shows other teams that there are ways to lose by claiming a player on waivers.

In terms of the trade. The conditional pick for a Lyubushkin rental and Hutton and Dzingel for Ritchie, where immediately it became Hutton for Ritchie. Or essentially free. If Lyub re-signs for a limited cap hit this deal works out well for both teams.
I think we expected to lose Dzingel but hoped we wouldn't. He was just there mainly for cap. We love Lyubushkin and will try to keep him and he seems pleased with the new environment and opportunity. I think it's a good chance we keep him. I'm very happy with the trade.

Reactions: Tarmore

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sounds like they're going to trade it, then.
They certainly have plenty of draft capital that they could turn into players or prospects who are closer to playing (like they did with McBain and Smith). With 7 picks in top 45 this year the thought process may be to spread some picks out as there is going to be a time where the 50 contract limit becomes an issue.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They certainly have plenty of draft capital that they could turn into players or prospects who are closer to playing (like they did with McBain and Smith). With 7 picks in top 45 this year the thought process may be to spread some picks out as there is going to be a time where the 50 contract limit becomes an issue.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Of course, they could draft a dman that's college bound with that pick. That's another prospect they won't have to sign for 4 years or so.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A shame about Dzingel, he never played a bad game while he was with us.

I always liked him with Ottawa.

His flaw I guess was not being sufficiently offensive to be a permanent top six player but his defence and physicality weren’t enough to be an energy line player.

He’s the type of guy you could see in the top five in scoring in any number of European leagues.

Reactions: BlueBaron

TheFamousFart

Dec 25, 2020
Really? This season? they are like edmonton and suck on def and been doing that for so long

Last edited by a moderator:

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Please don't do stupid things like bump last years trades, when that player is also likely to be traded this year as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad