Proposal: [TOR/ANA]

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Max Jones is exactly the type of player Toronto needs going forward. We really have no grit in our top nine. Jones is a bit of a cement head but he's big, tough and can score. Leafs aren't winning the Cup this year, i'm hoping they will make a couple of smart moves like this for their impending UFA's....similar to what St. Louis did with Shattenkirk.
I don't want Jones anywhere near this team. Plays die on his stick, and he's an idiot. I'd rather target Steel or Larsson, but Anaheim would be less likely to deal them.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
65 games of JVR + negotiating rights >>> prospect with 3rd line upside
Like spazkat said... the chances of us signing JVR with Kesler Getzlaf and perry on the books is basically slim to none... not to mention fowlers raise kicks in, and guys like Montour, cogliano , Ritchie, Kase etc will need contracts, and the year after silf and Gibson will be looking to get some more money. Jvr is going to get at least 5.5 id guess.... just no way were going to be able to afford it.

Reactions: Mallard

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Manson's raise will also kick in next year, just to remind people. The relief we get from Bieksa's contract will be immediately taken up.

I don't see how we can afford to extend JvR, so this deal's assumption is already kinda flawed.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't want Jones anywhere near this team. Plays die on his stick, and he's an idiot. I'd rather target Steel or Larsson, but Anaheim would be less likely to deal them.
Comtois seems like hed be more your preference in forward... similar to jones but Id say better hands and less dumb plays. Doubt Steel is moved unless were adding and getting a young top 6 center back. Larsson wont be moved for a rental, hes got too much upside as a 2way top 4. I think 1 of jones/Ritchie/comtois could be moved but id hope it was for a long term fix not a rental.

I do agree with the poster you responded too, that you guys could use a sandpaper top9 forward like a jones/Ritchie type. Jones is also a guy that seems like hes aware defensively and kills penalties which is something your forward core sordof lacks.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Manson's raise will also kick in next year, just to remind people. The relief we get from Bieksa's contract will be immediately taken up.

I don't see how we can afford to extend JvR, so this deal's assumption is already kinda flawed.
Yep forgot about mansons raise too... even if we don't resign cogliano/vermette(which I think well bring cogs back) were still going to be strapped for cash... I think ultimately we will be forced to move vatanen, and hopefully get a young forward in return for him, Larsson will jump into the top 6 with Montour manson lindholm and fowler... and I'm guessing well just roll with Megna/Holzer/Welinski/Pettersson as our 6th and 7th guys.

I do expect some of our young guys (kase already making the move) but guys like jones/steel/terry/kossila etc maybe dark horse in comtois to get legit nhl time to fill our roster.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Comtois seems like hed be more your preference in forward... similar to jones but Id say better hands and less dumb plays. Doubt Steel is moved unless were adding and getting a young top 6 center back. Larsson wont be moved for a rental, hes got too much upside as a 2way top 4. I think 1 of jones/Ritchie/comtois could be moved but id hope it was for a long term fix not a rental.

I do agree with the poster you responded too, that you guys could use a sandpaper top9 forward like a jones/Ritchie type. Jones is also a guy that seems like hes aware defensively and kills penalties which is something your forward core sordof lacks.
Comtois is interesting but nowhere near enough to move JVR right now. He still has 1st round value for this draft as a rental.

I've seen a lot of Jones over the years. I understand the need, but I don't think he's a solid bet to be a reliable NHLer. Takes way too many dumb penalties and simply isn't that aware offensively. Relies way too much on the rush game. I'd also say its a bit short sighted to say we have no grit in the top 9. One we have Komarov, Kadri, Hyman and Brown. Second, grit is fairly cheap to buy on the UFA or trade market. Outside of the rare high-end grit player (think Brad Marchand, Perry or Tkachuk) they are cheap to buy, and Jones simply isn't that player. The only think that gives me hope for Jones, is Anaheim, in my opinion, is the most consistent and best-drafting team in the league, but I would think he might be their rare first-round miss. And like their last one (Holland), they'd be selling him to Toronto at the perfect time.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Max Jones is exactly the type of player Toronto needs going forward. We really have no grit in our top nine. Jones is a bit of a cement head but he's big, tough and can score. Leafs aren't winning the Cup this year, i'm hoping they will make a couple of smart moves like this for their impending UFA's....similar to what St. Louis did with Shattenkirk.

you won't get what you need for JVR which is a top 4 D so ther is no point.

Unless it's rental for rental

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Don't think either team does this. Value aside, Ducks want to see what they have in Max Jones, and Toronto is better off keeping JVR for playoff run IMO.

If Ducks want something from the Leafs, I think Bozak would be the guy. I can see the Ducks going after a rental at TDL similar to Eaves last year. Hope we keep our 1st round pick though.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
OH boy, let's kickstart those JVR for Vatanen proposals again.

If we're trading JVR, we're looking more for futures. Most of us don't really want Vatanen, we don't need another small puckmover in our back-end. That's already one of our biggest weaknesses as a team.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Vatanen since post-ED, the only d-man on your team that we want aren't available, or if they were, wouldn't be realistic payment (i.e. Manson, Fowler, Lindholm).

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
No interest in this from my standpoint. I'd much rather just trade JVR for picks than this return to be honest. I'm not high on Jones at all and would value a 2018 1st round pick a lot higher than him. His numbers are very underwhelming and he hasn't progressed offensively at all.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
you won't get what you need for JVR which is a top 4 D so ther is no point.

Unless it's rental for rental

Completely agree. That's why I have the viewpoint that if they're trading him, it should either be for futures, part of a package for something big or simply don't trade him. Trading him for another mediocore d-man does nothing for the Leafs because they've got plenty of them. If they can't get the d-man they need, then just trade him for futures that at least have the potential to be a high end player in the future. Or just keep him and let him walk because he's a valuable player.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Max Jones is exactly the type of player Toronto needs going forward. We really have no grit in our top nine. Jones is a bit of a cement head but he's big, tough and can score.
We already have Kadri, Komarov, Brown, and Hyman as stated above and even if we lose Komarov we have Carl Grundstrom who could be ready as early as next year.

It'd be beyond foolish to trade one of our most offensive players for a gritty winger prospect, something we already have multiple of.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Completely agree. That's why I have the viewpoint that if they're trading him, it should either be for futures, part of a package for something big or simply don't trade him. Trading him for another mediocore d-man does nothing for the Leafs because they've got plenty of them. If they can't get the d-man they need, then just trade him for futures that at least have the potential to be a high end player in the future. Or just keep him and let him walk because he's a valuable player.

Trading him for futures is pointless, we don't need futures, we need a top 4 d man

all trading him for futures does is create a hole and then you need a top 4 D man AND a top 6 winger

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Trading him for futures is pointless, we don't need futures, we need a top 4 d man

all trading him for futures does is create a hole and then you need a top 4 D man AND a top 6 winger
I think the idea is you have people that supposedly can replace him in your system... you wont get a top 4 dmen for him(unless its another rental).... and then if you lose him in off season you end up with nothing + still needing a top 4 dmen and top 6 winger.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think the idea is you have people that supposedly can replace him in your system... you wont get a top 4 dmen for him(unless its another rental).... and then if you lose him in off season you end up with nothing + still needing a top 4 dmen and top 6 winger.

that is the idea but that is wrong, don't get me wrong there are some guys that are usually in the AHL that are NHL caliber guys.

Kapenan and Leivo who are now with the team, and Soshnikov who is still in the AHL are 3 guys of that top of my head that I believe are NHL caliber players, they are not replacing JVR though you simply don't replace a guy capable of 30 goals and 60+ points that easily, you just don't.

But some of our fanbase want JVR to win a damn Selke and he never will so he sucks.

Me? I just want him to do his job, which is to score

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
65 games of JVR + negotiating rights >>> prospect with 3rd line upside

Means nothing to the Ducks if we got JVR he would be a total rental because he wouldn't sign a new contract for a low enough amount to make him be anything but a total rental. Why is JVR to the Ducks being a total rental so hard for some people to understand?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
In all 47,248 "JVR to ANA" threads Ducks fans have said the team cannot afford to re-sign JVR. If you guys want value based on "negotiating rights" you should probably offer him to a team that has some intention of re-signing him instead of beating this same dead horse no?

where did i offer him to anybody?

maybe actually read what i said no?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No interest in this from my standpoint. I'd much rather just trade JVR for picks than this return to be honest. I'm not high on Jones at all and would value a 2018 1st round pick a lot higher than him. His numbers are very underwhelming and he hasn't progressed offensively at all.

agreed. would rather the mystery box 1st rd pick over a kid that projects as a 3rd liner that can chip in offensively

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Max Jones is Hyman/Komarov. I am really not excited about adding him.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Max Jones is Hyman/Komarov. I am really not excited about adding him.
Oh, man, if some of the obnoxious leaf fans don't ask for Jones or offer JVR.... that would be GREAT.
It's almost like some you guys do not understand cap space. Ducks CANNOT sign JVR to a deal he will ask, so it's basically worthless every single time he is offered.
Some team probably pays a 1st for him at deadline, Ducks won't especially after Eaves.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Oh, man, if some of the obnoxious leaf fans don't ask for Jones or offer JVR.... that would be GREAT.
It's almost like some you guys do not understand cap space. Ducks CANNOT sign JVR to a deal he will ask, so it's basically worthless every single time he is offered.
Some team probably pays a 1st for him at deadline, Ducks won't especially after Eaves.
Our disinterest in Max Jones, is not saying anything of the value of JVR or the needs of the Ducks.
Its ok for this deal to not make sense for either team, this constant fighting about which team it screws more is just pointless.

The majority of the Leaf fans in the room acknowledge the Ducks cant afford JVR, the majority of Ducks fans in the room can see why the Leafs wouldnt want the JVR return to be a prospect winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad