Proposal: Tor Ana and TB

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
The only way that Anaheim ships one of those defenseman off for futures is if they have to. You don't use trade chips like that to pick up assets with even more uncertainty built into them. If those players are dealt it will be to bring in a similarly valued or greater asset at a position of need(either one-for-one or in a package), barring someone throwing a top five pick at the Ducks for one of them.

I agree completely with what you're saying here. I think you might be misunderstanding what I'm saying a little bit so allow me to clarify my stance.

I'm just saying that the Ducks aren't in win-now mode (afaik) so they're not going to simply dismiss the value of futures in a trade. They probably can't be the main piece coming back but absolutely hold value as a sweetener.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I agree completely with what you're saying here. I think you might be misunderstanding what I'm saying a little bit so allow me to clarify my stance.

I'm just saying that the Ducks aren't in win-now mode (afaik) so they're not going to simply dismiss the value of futures in a trade. They probably can't be the main piece coming back but absolutely hold value as a sweetener.
Who says were not in win now mode... lets see how the team looks at christmas before we make claims.

Also not much futures available from toronto...wed get better deal elsewhere

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Jesus Henrietta Christ.

1. Anaheim probably doesn't see a whole lot of value in futures, with the Getzlaf window closing I feel like they'd rather not take away one of their best and most unique defencemen.

2. Toronto adds roughly 7.8 million in cap after signing JT to 11 and needing to resign Willy, Mitch and AM? Even though they sort of shaft both teams in this deal probably not a good call

3. I see you said Toronto gives up arguably the best forward in the deal... There is no way you can argue Brown is better than Johnson

Just way too many moving pieces in this

Also, Killorn actually is what Toronto fans think Brown is. Brown is the third best forward in this deal. He’s just cheap.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
Who says were not in win now mode... lets see how the team looks at christmas before we make claims.

Also not much futures available from toronto...wed get better deal elsewhere

We might be in win-now mode come Dec but I'd say that depends on what happens with Kes and how well Eaves and our young F do. Right now I think there's too many question marks to be in win-now mode, otherwise we would have been in on guys like Tavares/ROR/JVR. I could be wrong but the only people who are going to know for sure are our front office.

And I'd be okay with Brown/Kapanen + pick for one of our D (not top 4). We're incredibly deep at LHD right now anyway although I think they need RHD. Not super familiar with their D or prospects

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
So you think the best way to address that a 1C 'might' fall off in the future is to trade off your best RHD for a 50 point player? GG

Side note: good call to only list who ended up where and not who gives up what in an effort to obscure how little TOR gives up.

TLDR version: No you can't have Manson for TJ and a bag of pucks
my god did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed?
Its called a proposal its never going to be perfect :sarcasm:

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
We might be in win-now mode come Dec but I'd say that depends on what happens with Kes and how well Eaves and our young F do. Right now I think there's too many question marks to be in win-now mode, otherwise we would have been in on guys like Tavares/ROR/JVR. I could be wrong but the only people who are going to know for sure are our front office.

And I'd be okay with Brown/Kapanen + pick for one of our D (not top 4). We're incredibly deep at LHD right now anyway although I think they need RHD. Not super familiar with their D or prospects

JVR was a pipe dream. Ducks ownership clearly showed they dont want to spend the cash to get a quality forward to help Getzlaf and Perry. But this team is still a playoff contender, even with missing out on the above players you mentioned. Tyler Johnson fits the ducks budget and long term plans. And to the bolded. You cant have Getzlaf and Perry coast for 3 years and not call it "win now" mode. This team will always be in win now mode until the contracts are up or traded.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Third best currently yeah but I'd say second most valuable due to contract and age. I think the age gap is bigger than the skill gap

We could use Killorn as well as Johnson. It fits Anaheim Ducks budget due to contract, and brings in an automatic upgrade on our three scoring lines. That’s why I suggested we deal with Tampa directly and cut out Toronto all together.

Left Wing? Desperate need in Anaheim. Center? Desperate need due to a Kesler injury.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
JVR was a pipe dream. Ducks ownership clearly showed they dont want to spend the cash to get a quality forward to help Getzlaf and Perry. But this team is still a playoff contender, even with missing out on the above players you mentioned. Tyler Johnson fits the ducks budget and long term plans. And to the bolded. You cant have Getzlaf and Perry coast for 3 years and not call it "win now" mode. This team will always be in win now mode until the contracts are up or traded.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. Everybody is going to have their own opinion and reasons for it. There's a couple things going on so I'd like to address them individually.

Personally I don't think we're in win-now mode, at least not yet. Like I said before, too many questions unanswered to go all in right now. In Dec or next year, whenever those questions are cleared up, we very well could be. Just not right now, not to me.

As for Getz/Perry, they're absolutely incredible talents but to say that just because you have big names on big contracts you must be in win-now mode is silly. The Blackhawks have Toews/Kane but that doesn't mean they're in win-now mode. 2 players does not make a team unless they can carry the team. 4 years ago, they would have been but now Getzy is the only one I'd say that about.
For us, I see us being 2-3 pieces from being true contenders right now. We're definitely good enough to make the playoffs but I wouldn't bet on us winning the cup just by adding TyJo. When the kids are ready for the big club, then I think we'll have the depth to bring us within 1 piece away from being cup contenders again.

Lastly, I want to make it clear that I'm not against picking up TyJo. In fact if we get TyJo, I think that'd be a solid pickup. He fits what we need and is signed to a reasonable contract that lasts into when I think our window will re-open. Bit too long (he'll be 33 by the time it ends) and I'm not a fan of the NTC but otherwise fine. Pick+D Prospect would be my offer for him. Helps Tampa w/ cap and we get help at F.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There is nothing wrong with making out like bandits as long as it is your team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad