Top UFA Targets for the Habs

Mue

Oct 20, 2006
Concentrating on the obvious areas of need and excluding guys I feel the Habs just wouldn't have much of a shot of signing (Iginla, Gaborik, Cammalleri, Niskanen, etc.)

RW
Top 6
Hemsky
Vrbata

Bottom 6
Gionta
Kulemin
Moss
Downie
Comeau

RD
Stralman
Gilbert
Fayne
Weaver

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
If the Habs have the Cap space after their players are signed, then the best available player IMHO would be (C) Paul Stastny. Certainly would fit in with the relative age group of core players. He could take the 1st or 2nd line center, leaving Galchenyuk to apprentice without pressure(Optimus Prime IMO). Also alleviating the pressure on DD, Plekanec and Eller to produce, instead all sharing the centermen duties. This giving the Habs and their coach fresh, rested players each game at the most pivotal position in hockey, no pun intended.

After that possibly a Matt Greene type veteran Dman to play with some of the greenhorns coming up from the AHL, unless of course Mike Weaver is kept, in which case I'm happy!

Other than that, a full court press on scoring Aaron Ekblad would be a move that fans could applaud equally as loud as the playoff run, and might be a step towards building a Montreal Canadiens dynasty once more. If wishes were so easy to come by, I'd ask for another 30 yr. run like the 50's, 60's and 70's one.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009
Anyone take a chance Bene Pouiliette,(if he doesn't resign with the the Rags) ?
Big talented, edgy frenchman who falls a lot and does some stupid things but if your coaches could ever make him a 3rd line project…

You gotta wonder whether he was mishandled or was just stupid and messed up?

But I think back to his little run of goals when he first came to the Habs. He sure looked special.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
This team will not make wholesale changes, there is no way we pick up 3 FAs AND find room for 2 young Dmen. We just made the Eastern conference finals. If term and dollars work we will be extending Markov and Gionta, we may or may not pick up a winger to replace Vanek and we will go with Tinordi and Beaulieu on the backend along with Weaver. Parros Murray and Bouillon will not be returning.
That gives us 7 D with a spell for Pateryn if need be.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I'd like to get another dman who is not limited to just being a 3rd pairing guy. That list does not look too compelling though. I guess our best chance on having an improved d rests on whether tinordi and/or beaulieu take some steps next season.

A deeper, more versatile defence married with Carey price is the best route for immediate improvement IMO.

Saintpatrick*

I can bet you Bergy picks up a defenseman at least. I'd be surprised if he goes with two rookies in the back end next season.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
We don't need C and LW (Pac, Bourque, Bournival, Prust and maybe Galchenyuk). We do need RW. If Gionta is not back, then we have only Gallagher and Brière as RW. Weise is on the 4th line.

RW:
1. Gaborik
2. Iginla
3. Callahan
4. Hemsky
5. Vrbata

No C and LW, so no Stastny, Vanek, Moulson, Michalek, Raymond.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Montreal has Money we need more assets unfortunately I don't see any of these guy linning up to play in Montreal (Taxes, Media, not a contender, French) I'm not too scared signning player like Makov worst case put him on LTIR.
MB should sign anyone that is willing to sign in Montreal as long as they meet the following:
1) They improve the team
2) Not blocking any prospect from progressing
3) Done over paid to much making them untradable

We need a top 4 Dman and top 6 Fw, if were able to get 2 Perfect.
D
Niskanen (RD)
Markov
Nikitin
Fayne (RD)
Greene (RD)

LW
Michalek
Jiri Sekac
Moulson

C (Signning Stastny probably mean trading Plekanec)
Stastny
Boyle
Moore

RW
Gaborik
Hemsky
Vanek
Vrbata
Setoguchi
Kulemin
Iginla (isn't signning in Montreal since he is looking to get a cup)
Gionta

Last edited:

qwerty123

May 4, 2014
If the Habs don't sign Markov and Vanek, this may as well be the D lineup next season :

Beaulieu, Subban
Tinordi, Niskanen
Emelin/Gorges, Pateryn
Weaver

Cause the Habs won't be making the playoffs, so you may as well give the young guys as much experience as they can get.

I mean, just look at line-ups some people are posting in some other threads. They have Bournival on the second line and Weise on the third. If you don't see a problem there, I don't know what to tell you.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Niskanen is really overated. Remember, on a team that doesn't have Crosby and Malkin he's nothing more than a throw in in a trade.

Don't touch that guy !

qwerty123

May 4, 2014
I don't know much about Niskanen myself, but I added him there because some posters here would suck him if they could.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Don't get the hype for Stastny. He will undoubtedly get a RIDICULOUS contract (we're talking here of possibly 7M+), and we'd be paying that amount for a low-end first line center, high-end N.2. You know, quite similar to Plekanec, although he's more offensively oriented while Plekanec is more of a defense first guy.

He's a guy that produces slightly more than David Desharnais. And you guys want him to be our top priority this summer?

Niskanen is really overated. Remember, on a team that doesn't have Crosby and Malkin he's nothing more than a throw in in a trade.

Don't touch that guy !

Do tell me, how many times have you watched the Pens play this season?

Niskanen is a better player at this point in time than Andrei Markov.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Don't get the hype for Stastny. He will undoubtedly get a RIDICULOUS contract (we're talking here of possibly 7M+), and we'd be paying that amount for a low-end first line center, high-end N.2. You know, quite similar to Plekanec, although he's more offensively oriented while Plekanec is more of a defense first guy.

He's a guy that produces slightly more than David Desharnais. And you guys want him to be our top priority this summer?

Anything to get rid of DD.

Am I doing this right ?

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
DD, Plek, Eller, Briere, Galchenyuk, White...

if we add 1 more center i'm switching teams.

DD is #1 center by default due to his long chemistry with Patch since their AHL years. He wouldn't be #1 center in any other team. Plek and Eller are #3/borderline #2 centers. Galchenyuk needs to be sheltered if he's to play center. Lacks lower body strength/stamina to play center cuz center is a very grueling position. That's why the coaching staff hasn't played him at center in two years. Briere is washed up. White was a healthy scratch for most games last season....

Just becuz they have a lot of centers doesn't mean that they're strong at that position

SakuSauce

Drive for 25
Dec 2, 2006
Montréal
Great list. Except I lolwut'd at orpik.

Edit: And Klesla. Why is klesla on your list?

Haha I agree that Klesla might be random but I always liked his play. As for Orpik, didn't watch much Pens games but the ones I watched I found him pretty good on a Martin-Orpik pairing. Is he that bad?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Niskanen ain't coming to a big market, especially ours.

If we don't keep Vanek I'd like to go after Stastny. It'd be expensive though but it'd give us the leeway to deal one of our centers for our biggest need: a #2 or real good #3 defenseman.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Agree on Stastny. Can't see the Habs signing a center unless they have a trade lined up for Plekanec

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Iginla (68pts in 81 playoff games...and rarely injured)
OR
Moulson
OR
Gaborik (very injury prone?? huge risk?)

John Scott
OR
Konopka

Niskanen
OR
Greene

Re-sign:
Weaver (2 yrs)
Weise (3yrs+)
Tokarski (bring him up as backup...trade Budaj at draft)
Markov?? (1 or...2 yrs, max?).

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I see the Chicago/Prust connection landing us Bolland

Good character 3C guy coming off a couple of injury plagued seasons so may fly under the radar a bit, would let us free up Pleks in a deal for help on W

Bellemore or Fayne would be some good physical depth help on RHD

Really don't see a big splash given it's such a weak market

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad