Top ten players all time, going only on prime

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Oh yeah for sure, Howe is ahead of him in that regards. Also Jagr would probably lose out to Esposito and Lafleur. Players like Richard, Beliveau, Hull, Mikita etc. never had a distinct prime but rather were great for most if not all of their careers.

But Jagr is no doubt on the top 10 in prime for sure

Esposito did it in a easier era and had Orr.

Jagr won all his Art Ross trophies save one without Lemieux (and that 5th one was with Lemieux for just half a season).

Lafleur and Jagr had comparable primes.

In all honesty I only see Lemieux, Orr, Gretzy, Howe and Hasek having better primes than Jagr considering who they were and the eras they played in.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Top Primes

Except outside of Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux (who would have dominated any league) the rest of those players did it when hockey didn't feature great athletes like from the 80's on.

Jagr dominated in an era when scoring was much lower.

You know what though, you're just throwing any names into the mix to try and show Jagr is not top 10. The fact is Jagr is top 10 in prime and is a top 20 player on anyone's list. Even THN picked Jagr in its top 20.

Just give it up, you're just mad at the fact that Jagr was a European that dominated when Canadians were still suppose to be the best.

Jaromir Jagr dominated in an era when offensive skills were rather weak. He also won his Art Ross Trophies when the best offensive, Mario Lemieux, player was either injured or ill, prematurely retired.

Head to head, same number of games he could never match Mario Lemieux or win a scoring championship.

Jagr's Art Ross with Mario Lemieux has to take into account that Mario still outscored him on a PPG basis, Lemieux had a 1.76PPG to Jagr's 1.49PPG. When Jagr went to Washington, Mario Lemieux outscored him handily.

Players listed as having superior primes - Hull, Beliveau, Mikita etc won their awards and earned their honours competing against healthy contemporaries in head to head competition.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Jaromir Jagr dominated in an era when offensive skills were rather weak. He also won his Art Ross Trophies when the best offensive, Mario Lemieux, player was either injured or ill, prematurely retired.

Head to head, same number of games he could never match Mario Lemieux or win a scoring championship.

Jagr's Art Ross with Mario Lemieux has to take into account that Mario still outscored him on a PPG basis, Lemieux had a 1.76PPG to Jagr's 1.49PPG. When Jagr went to Washington, Mario Lemieux outscored him handily.

Players listed as having superior primes - Hull, Beliveau, Mikita etc won their awards and earned their honours competing against healthy contemporaries in head to head competition.

While you certainly have an excellent point, I do think that your method of comparison penalizes Jagr for playing during Lemieux's era. I understand what you say about these others competing against healthy comtemporaries, but Lemieux is pretty heavy competition for anyone. Offensively, anyone not named Wayne Gretzky fails in that comparison. I don't think anyone here, even Jagr 6868, is trying to claim Jagr was comparable to Lemieux.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Indirectly

While you certainly have an excellent point, I do think that your method of comparison penalizes Jagr for playing during Lemieux's era. I understand what you say about these others competing against healthy comtemporaries, but Lemieux is pretty heavy competition for anyone. Offensively, anyone not named Wayne Gretzky fails in that comparison. I don't think anyone here, even Jagr 6868, is trying to claim Jagr was comparable to Lemieux.

Just using the same approach as the Jagr backers who penalize other players in the same fashion.

Specifically, Esposito gets penalized for playing with Orr even though his numbers with the Bruins held when Orr was injured and during the 1972 Summit, while Bossy gets penalized for playing with Trottier / Potvin, Mikita and Hull get penalized because they played with each other, Beliveau, Lafleur, Richard get penalized for playing with stacked teams, just a short list.

Simple statistical fact is that Jagr's best season was 1995-96 where he was outpointed significantly by an injured / ill Lemieux playing 12 fewer games. Without Lemieux, Jagr's numbers did not hold.When Mario Lemieux returned, older and playing on a non-playoff team he cleaned Jagr in scoring.

Conversely players like Beliveau, Hull, Mikita, Esposito, Moore, Geoffrion and others were able to beat a healthy Gordie Howe, consensus top 4, All-Time(20 consecutive seasons top 5 in scoring) going head to head.Likewise Lemieux beat Gretzky.

Simple Jaromir Jagr was never able to beat a consensus top 4 player in scoring head to head, playing a comparable number of games.

Yes, Jaromir Jagr had an interesting prime and a significant career but he is a fair distance from top 10 prime or top 10 overall.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
After all of this Jagr talk I took a closer look at his prime. His real prime probably goes from about 94'-95' to 00'-01', where he was a Top 3 player in the league, and Top 2 forward, but he was probably only the best forward 3 times during that span, and the best player twice (in 98' Hasek was best).

Here's who I have for the best forward in the NHL each year during Jagr's prime...

95': Lindros
96': Lemieux
97': Lemieux
98': Jagr
99': Jagr
00': Jagr
01': Sakic

It should be said that in all of the years where Jagr is not #1, he was a pretty clear #2 (meaning he was well ahead of the #3 guy).

This is certainly very impressive, but doesn't seem to blow away the other guys who have been in the conversation for Top 10 primes like Esposito, Lafleur, Hull, Shore, Clarke, etc.

It seems that the two main arguments being presented are both a little extreme. Jagr is not an absolute lock for top 10 primes all-time like some are saying, but he also isn't far away from the Top 10 primes like others are saying. He has a similair resume/accolades to many of the others being considered for the bottom 5 spots (1-5 seem to be locked up with Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Lemieux, Hasek). The next step is a player by player comparison to see who is most deserving.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
After all of this Jagr talk I took a closer look at his prime. His real prime probably goes from about 94'-95' to 00'-01', where he was a Top 3 player in the league, and Top 2 forward, but he was probably only the best forward 3 times during that span, and the best player twice (in 98' Hasek was best).

Here's who I have for the best forward in the NHL each year during Jagr's prime...

95': Lindros
96': Lemieux
97': Lemieux
98': Jagr
99': Jagr
00': Jagr
01': Sakic

It should be said that in all of the years where Jagr is not #1, he was a pretty clear #2 (meaning he was well ahead of the #3 guy).

This is certainly very impressive, but doesn't seem to blow away the other guys who have been in the conversation for Top 10 primes like Esposito, Lafleur, Hull, Shore, Clarke, etc.

It seems that the two main arguments being presented are both a little extreme. Jagr is not an absolute lock for top 10 primes all-time like some are saying, but he also isn't far away from the Top 10 primes like others are saying. He has a similair resume/accolades to many of the others being considered for the bottom 5 spots (1-5 seem to be locked up with Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Lemieux, Hasek). The next step is a player by player comparison to see who is most deserving.

Effectively your point is that Jagr enters the debate about top 10 prime or best player when others depart for injury-Lindros or health reasons-Lemieux. Cannot be said for others in the debate who rose to top 10 prime levels based on merit.

Hasek is not a lock either - playing about 80% of the scheduled games as opposed to almost 100% of the games like Sawchuk, Hall, Durnan, Plante, Broda and others skews accomplishments.Take the top 80% of the games Harry Lumley played each year for the 1954-56 Leafs, a very pedestrian offensive team - Sid Smith, Tod Sloan - similar to the Sabres,with a young Tim Horton leading the defence and you replicate Hasek's top three seasons yet Lumley gets no consideration at all from the standpoint of prime or career.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Effectively your point is that Jagr enters the debate about top 10 prime or best player when others depart for injury-Lindros or health reasons-Lemieux. Cannot be said for others in the debate who rose to top 10 prime levels based on merit.

These are points to be argued when you get down to a more specific player by player comparison, because there are many different factors for each player, and they should all be considered. Sure, had Lemieux been healthier he would have won some/many/all of the Art Ross's Jagr won, but Lemieux probably would have stolen Hull's, Lafleur's, Esposito's, Trottier's, etc's Art Ross's as well. Lindros is another topic, who wasn't clearly ahead of Jagr ALL of the time he was healthy like Lemieux was. All I'm saying is that Jagr at least deserves a more detailed comparison before we write him out of the Top 10 primes.

Hasek is not a lock either - playing about 80% of the scheduled games as opposed to almost 100% of the games like Sawchuk, Hall, Durnan, Plante, Broda and others skews accomplishments.Take the top 80% of the games Harry Lumley played each year for the 1954-56 Leafs, a very pedestrian offensive team - Sid Smith, Tod Sloan - similar to the Sabres,with a young Tim Horton leading the defence and you replicate Hasek's top three seasons yet Lumley gets no consideration at all from the standpoint of prime or career.

I have Lumley playing 197 games over that 3-year span, 2nd to only Sawchuk by 6 games. Over Hasek's best 3 year period, he played 203 games, 4th place overall, only 7 games less than the goalie that played the most (Joseph). Those seem pretty similair to me. Hasek also has a lot of other things that put him above Lumley...2 Hart trophies, a 3-2 advantage in 1st Team All-Stars. I do not know if the estimated save percentage from the 50's has been done yet, but so far there has been no one close to Hasek's save percentage dominance. Over that 3-year period Hasek had a .932, Roy was 2nd place with .919. The difference between those two is 0.013. The difference between Roy and the 15th ranked goaltender is only 0.010. Hasek's prime is clearly the better of the two, and that's just the best 3 years. Hasek remained at that level for more than just 3 years (still not sure how length of prime is being handled in this thread)

Also, out of curiousity, who is on your list of Top 10 primes? I may be wrong, but I don't think I've seen it posted yet.

Last edited:

Infinite Vision*

I can't tell whether your ignorant, or just very biased towards older players...

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
I can't tell whether your ignorant, or just very biased towards older players...

He just thinks that no player from the 90's deserves a mention on the list.

It's funny how Jagr and Hasek were the two legitimate dominant players of the 90's but somehow even if the argument is weak Canadian guy will try and discredit anything they've accomplished.

Even if Jagr never beat out Lemieux or Gretzky straight up (actually Jagr beat Gretzky for 2 Art Ross trophies and a Hart even if Gretzky was getting old) he was the clear 2nd best player or better from 1994 and on.

He wants to put guys like Clarke and Esposito way ahead of him and yet they weren't even the best clear cut players of their era, Orr was.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Odds and Ends

These are points to be argued when you get down to a more specific player by player comparison, because there are many different factors for each player, and they should all be considered. Sure, had Lemieux been healthier he would have won some/many/all of the Art Ross's Jagr won, but Lemieux probably would have stolen Hull's, Lafleur's, Esposito's, Trottier's, etc's Art Ross's as well. Lindros is another topic, who wasn't clearly ahead of Jagr ALL of the time he was healthy like Lemieux was. All I'm saying is that Jagr at least deserves a more detailed comparison before we write him out of the Top 10 primes.

I have Lumley playing 197 games over that 3-year span, 2nd to only Sawchuk by 6 games. Over Hasek's best 3 year period, he played 203 games, 4th place overall, only 7 games less than the goalie that played the most (Joseph). Those seem pretty similair to me. Hasek also has a lot of other things that put him above Lumley...2 Hart trophies, a 3-2 advantage in 1st Team All-Stars. I do not know if the estimated save percentage from the 50's has been done yet, but so far there has been no one close to Hasek's save percentage dominance. Over that 3-year period Hasek had a .932, Roy was 2nd place with .919. The difference between those two is 0.013. The difference between Roy and the 15th ranked goaltender is only 0.010. Hasek's prime is clearly the better of the two, and that's just the best 3 years. Hasek remained at that level for more than just 3 years (still not sure how length of prime is being handled in this thread)

Also, out of curiousity, who is on your list of Top 10 primes? I may be wrong, but I don't think I've seen it posted yet.

My list of 16 candidates was posted in my post #309 of this thread. Must have snuck by you.

Lemieux was a bit too young or not yet born to steal Lafleur's Trottier's Hull's, Esposito's Art Ross Trophies.

The Hasek / Lumley comparison. Lumley played 197 / 210 of his teams games or 93.8 %. Hasek played 203 / 246 or 82.5 % of his teams games. Hasek never played 4 games in 5 nights as goalies in the O6 era would. Canadiens and Leafs would play each other back to back Wed/Thur then at home Sat / away Sun. Plus O6 goalies would play their way thru high scoring games and not throw hissy fits like Patrick Roy did.

Jagr has had a detailed comparison - issue is that his backers do not wish to go back in time in any detail.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Your Usual Misrepresentations

He just thinks that no player from the 90's deserves a mention on the list.

It's funny how Jagr and Hasek were the two legitimate dominant players of the 90's but somehow even if the argument is weak Canadian guy will try and discredit anything they've accomplished.

Even if Jagr never beat out Lemieux or Gretzky straight up (actually Jagr beat Gretzky for 2 Art Ross trophies and a Hart even if Gretzky was getting old) he was the clear 2nd best player or better from 1994 and on.

He wants to put guys like Clarke and Esposito way ahead of him and yet they weren't even the best clear cut players of their era, Orr was.

In post #309 of this thread I submitted a list of 16 players that I would consider to be candidates for a top 10 prime discussion. Of the 16, at least 4 or 25% were significant contributors to the 1990's.
In terms of hockey history this is actually a significant representation for a specific era.

Again when you cannot present a case on the merits of a player as defined by the topic you wander off topic trying to introduce best player or other irrelevant prattle. We are not discussing the best player of the 1970's.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
My list of 16 candidates was posted in my post #309 of this thread. Must have snuck by you.

Lemieux was a bit too young or not yet born to steal Lafleur's Trottier's Hull's, Esposito's Art Ross Trophies.

The Hasek / Lumley comparison. Lumley played 197 / 210 of his teams games or 93.8 %. Hasek played 203 / 246 or 82.5 % of his teams games. Hasek never played 4 games in 5 nights as goalies in the O6 era would. Canadiens and Leafs would play each other back to back Wed/Thur then at home Sat / away Sun. Plus O6 goalies would play their way thru high scoring games and not throw hissy fits like Patrick Roy did.

Jagr has had a detailed comparison - issue is that his backers do not wish to go back in time in any detail.

Yes I did see that list of candidates in post #309...I was just curious who your Top 10 were. (Also, just in case you go back and use that list to narrow down, you missed Bobby Orr, who I'm sure you meant to have on there)

My point with the Hasek comparison was not that he played as high of a percentage of games as Lumley, it's that he was at the same standing in the league as Lumley, compared to his peers. No goalie in Hasek's era played every game, that's just how it was. It doesn't mean he was incapable, his coach wouldn't let him do it no matter what. The strategy of the game changed. You giving Lumley credit over Hasek in this area is like giving a player from the very early days of the NHL credit for having a greater percentage of game time played than a present day player who is near the Top of the league in TOI/G. Those were the days when there were only 10 or so skaters on a team, and many players played almost the whole game. Surely you can see that it would not be fair to discredit the present day player. Hasek's games played during his prime was at a top level for his era, that is what matters.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Yes

Yes I did see that list of candidates in post #309...I was just curious who your Top 10 were. (Also, just in case you go back and use that list to narrow down, you missed Bobby Orr, who I'm sure you meant to have on there)

My point with the Hasek comparison was not that he played as high of a percentage of games as Lumley, it's that he was at the same standing in the league as Lumley, compared to his peers. No goalie in Hasek's era played every game, that's just how it was. It doesn't mean he was incapable, his coach wouldn't let him do it no matter what. The strategy of the game changed. You giving Lumley credit over Hasek in this area is like giving a player from the very early days of the NHL credit for having a greater percentage of game time played than a present day player who is near the Top of the league in TOI/G. Those were the days when there were only 10 or so skaters on a team, and many players played almost the whole game. Surely you can see that it would not be fair to discredit the present day player. Hasek's games played during his prime was at a top level for his era, that is what matters.

Yes - Orr should be included. Nice catch. I sometimes forget to type what I think.

The objective of the Hasek / Lumley comparison is the issue of how we compare goalies across eras. Lumley is viewed as a bottom 1/2 to 1/3 amongst his goalie contemporaries but was capable of stringing together a very interesting 3-4 season run with a borderline playoff team. Likewise how do we compare a goalie who plays 70% of his teams games today to one who plays 80%. Balancing by dropping games to bring the % to the same level is one alternative since we cannot create fictional games for the comparison. Perhaps not the perfect method but it does bring the coaching element into play to an extent.

The fifties were basically an era with 15 - 16 skaters plus a goalie.The extra players and second goalie today may be viewed as a plus and a minus. Definitely a plus for the goalies since they do not have to play 3 games in 4 nights or 4 games in 5 nights during a season that started later and would be finished by now. On the other hand the lack of talent in the 5 - 7 d slot or fourth line forwards does have a negative impact in terms of actual contribution.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yes - Orr should be included. Nice catch. I sometimes forget to type what I think.

The objective of the Hasek / Lumley comparison is the issue of how we compare goalies across eras. Lumley is viewed as a bottom 1/2 to 1/3 amongst his goalie contemporaries but was capable of stringing together a very interesting 3-4 season run with a borderline playoff team. Likewise how do we compare a goalie who plays 70% of his teams games today to one who plays 80%. Balancing by dropping games to bring the % to the same level is one alternative since we cannot create fictional games for the comparison. Perhaps not the perfect method but it does bring the coaching element into play to an extent.

The fifties were basically an era with 15 - 16 skaters plus a goalie.The extra players and second goalie today may be viewed as a plus and a minus. Definitely a plus for the goalies since they do not have to play 3 games in 4 nights or 4 games in 5 nights during a season that started later and would be finished by now. On the other hand the lack of talent in the 5 - 7 d slot or fourth line forwards does have a negative impact in terms of actual contribution.

Issues like these come up all the time when comparing players from different eras where the game has changed in some way from one player's era to another's. There's not really much we can do about it, because you never know how a player would do in another era. Who knows...maybe Hasek would not have been able to handle the rigors of the O6 era and he would look simply above average in history, OR maybe he would have thrived even more giving historians a consensus #1 goaltender of all-time??? We will never know how players would have performed under other circumstances. All you can do is evaluate how they performed given the conditions of the game in the era they were dealt.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Just using the same approach as the Jagr backers who penalize other players in the same fashion.

Specifically, Esposito gets penalized for playing with Orr even though his numbers with the Bruins held when Orr was injured and during the 1972 Summit, while Bossy gets penalized for playing with Trottier / Potvin, Mikita and Hull get penalized because they played with each other, Beliveau, Lafleur, Richard get penalized for playing with stacked teams, just a short list.

Espo is really a special case. He played his prime with a player who is considered by most to be among the top 3-5 all-time players in his prime. Unlike Jagr who only played a couple half seasons ('97 and '01) on the same line as Lemieux, Orr was often on the ice with Espo throughout his prime. Combined with expansion which doubled the number of teams and increased scoring significantly (despite expansion teams lowering the average) make Espo's prime one of the most difficult to evaluate of the top forwards.

As far as the Summit Series, that was one (albeit very memorable and historical) series of 8 games, which Canada may have lost if they didn't break the opponent's ankle (in which case would that indicate Espo's "shortcomings"?). He should get credit for playing well in an important international tournament, as any player should.

I don't know on what you are basing the statement that Espo's numbers held while Orr was injured (besides Summit Series, which isn't comparable). The only season in which Orr missed a substantial portion of the season while on Espo's team was '72-73. In '73, Espo's numbers "held" from '72, but were still his worst actual point total from '71-74 and about 10% less than his next worst season from '71-74 on an adjusted basis. What is apparent is how much his numbers jumped upon joining the Bruins (not all due to Orr and stacked team, but also from expansion and possibly more top line playing time), just as they immediately dropped by 1/3 when he was traded and stayed at or below that level for the remainder of his career.

As far as the other players, I don't penalize the Isles' or Habs' dynasties, but also don't give them nearly the "extra credit" for winning Cups that many others do. Team success is obviously important (but not black & white as Cup/no Cup), but the quality of each player's team must be factored in. It's one component, along with player performance in the playoffs, team/player performance in international competition, regular season stats/rankings and the voting of others for awards and all-star teams. People put emphasis on each component in varying amounts.

I don't penalize Hull and Mikita for playing together. In fact, they are the classic examples of players who excelled in the regular season, but whose teams often disappointed in the playoffs. I don't penalize them significantly for that, especially Hull who was generally very strong in the playoffs.

Simple statistical fact is that Jagr's best season was 1995-96 where he was outpointed significantly by an injured / ill Lemieux playing 12 fewer games. Without Lemieux, Jagr's numbers did not hold.When Mario Lemieux returned, older and playing on a non-playoff team he cleaned Jagr in scoring.

Yes, that was his best actual point season. He happened to set the all-time season records for points and assists by a Right Wing, and was 12 points behind Lemieux while 29 points ahead of second.
That season was behind '99 in terms of adjusted points/ppg and only 8% above his adjusted ppg for the rest of '94/95-'00/01, not a huge amount. That was a standout season for him, but he wasn't a Hart finalist in '96 (somehow) nor in '97, yet was the next three seasons from '98-00 without Lemieux, as he was in '95 and '06.

Conversely players like Beliveau, Hull, Mikita, Esposito, Moore, Geoffrion and others were able to beat a healthy Gordie Howe, consensus top 4, All-Time(20 consecutive seasons top 5 in scoring) going head to head.Likewise Lemieux beat Gretzky.

Not trying to say Jagr was better than Lemieux, Gretzky and Howe in his prime. IIRC, Jagr bested every player in the league in points. This included Gretzky, Sakic, Yzerman, Forsberg, Lindros, Messier, Selanne, Hull, etc. So he never beat Lemieux in ppg during their primes, is that surprising? He had more points than Lemieux as a rookie, does that make him better?

Simple Jaromir Jagr was never able to beat a consensus top 4 player in scoring head to head, playing a comparable number of games.

Jagr beat Gretzky each season in ppg from '95-99. That's five straight seasons. While Gretzky wasn't the goal scorer he was in earlier years, he still finished:

- 12th in points in '96, but 7th among non-Euros (behind Lemieux, Sakic, Lindros, etc.)
- 4th in points in '97, 3rd among non-Euros (behind Lemieux and Kariya)
- 3rd in points in '98, behind only Jagr and Forsberg.

So without the additional competiton of Euros, Gretzky finished 7th, 3rd and 1st in three consecutive seasons during that stretch. Take out Lemieux, and it's 6th, 2nd, and 1st, not too bad. Yet Jagr had a higher ppg each season and the only season he had fewer points was '97 (97-95) due to injury, but still had 1.51 ppg to 1.18 for Gretzky. Over the entire three years, Jagr had 1.63 ppg to 1.18 for Gretzky. It just goes to show how there are many misperceptions of strength of competition during the '90s, due to the lower scoring in the league and the influx of skilled Euro forwards.

Things are not as cut and dried as we might like. Some years a Moore or Iginla or St. Louis can win a Ross, other years Gretzky, Lemieux and Yzerman battle it out. It's very rare that most or all of the top players are going to be in their prime in the same seasons, but there was no lack of competition in the '90s.

The top 20 scorers in '96 included Lemieux, Jagr, Sakic, Forsberg, Lindros, Selanne, Kariya, Mogilny, Fedorov, Gretzky, Messier, and Yzerman. Talk about strong competition.

Yes, Jaromir Jagr had an interesting prime and a significant career but he is a fair distance from top 10 prime or top 10 overall.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
One could argue that if Jagr (like Forsberg and others) would have played in the 80's their point production would have been 10-20% better. I do not like comparison of players from different eras but Jagr is an all-time great and should be considered so.

/Cheers

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
...I don't penalize Hull and Mikita for playing together. In fact, they are the classic examples of players who excelled in the regular season, but whose teams often disappointed in the playoffs. I don't penalize them significantly for that, especially Hull who was generally very strong in the playoffs...

Nice post for the most part. However, Hull and Mikita played on different lines, except perhaps occasionally on the power play and at losing end of game situations.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Usual Misdirects

Espo is really a special case. He played his prime with a player who is considered by most to be among the top 3-5 all-time players in his prime. Unlike Jagr who only played a couple half seasons ('97 and '01) on the same line as Lemieux, Orr was often on the ice with Espo throughout his prime. Combined with expansion which doubled the number of teams and increased scoring significantly (despite expansion teams lowering the average) make Espo's prime one of the most difficult to evaluate of the top forwards.

As far as the Summit Series, that was one (albeit very memorable and historical) series of 8 games, which Canada may have lost if they didn't break the opponent's ankle (in which case would that indicate Espo's "shortcomings"?). He should get credit for playing well in an important international tournament, as any player should.

I don't know on what you are basing the statement that Espo's numbers held while Orr was injured (besides Summit Series, which isn't comparable). The only season in which Orr missed a substantial portion of the season while on Espo's team was '72-73. In '73, Espo's numbers "held" from '72, but were still his worst actual point total from '71-74 and about 10% less than his next worst season from '71-74 on an adjusted basis. What is apparent is how much his numbers jumped upon joining the Bruins (not all due to Orr and stacked team, but also from expansion and possibly more top line playing time), just as they immediately dropped by 1/3 when he was traded and stayed at or below that level for the remainder of his career.

As far as the other players, I don't penalize the Isles' or Habs' dynasties, but also don't give them nearly the "extra credit" for winning Cups that many others do. Team success is obviously important (but not black & white as Cup/no Cup), but the quality of each player's team must be factored in. It's one component, along with player performance in the playoffs, team/player performance in international competition, regular season stats/rankings and the voting of others for awards and all-star teams. People put emphasis on each component in varying amounts.

I don't penalize Hull and Mikita for playing together. In fact, they are the classic examples of players who excelled in the regular season, but whose teams often disappointed in the playoffs. I don't penalize them significantly for that, especially Hull who was generally very strong in the playoffs.

Yes, that was his best actual point season. He happened to set the all-time season records for points and assists by a Right Wing, and was 12 points behind Lemieux while 29 points ahead of second.
That season was behind '99 in terms of adjusted points/ppg and only 8% above his adjusted ppg for the rest of '94/95-'00/01, not a huge amount. That was a standout season for him, but he wasn't a Hart finalist in '96 (somehow) nor in '97, yet was the next three seasons from '98-00 without Lemieux, as he was in '95 and '06.

Not trying to say Jagr was better than Lemieux, Gretzky and Howe in his prime. IIRC, Jagr bested every player in the league in points. This included Gretzky, Sakic, Yzerman, Forsberg, Lindros, Messier, Selanne, Hull, etc. So he never beat Lemieux in ppg during their primes, is that surprising? He had more points than Lemieux as a rookie, does that make him better?

Jagr beat Gretzky each season in ppg from '95-99. That's five straight seasons. While Gretzky wasn't the goal scorer he was in earlier years, he still finished:

- 12th in points in '96, but 7th among non-Euros (behind Lemieux, Sakic, Lindros, etc.)
- 4th in points in '97, 3rd among non-Euros (behind Lemieux and Kariya)
- 3rd in points in '98, behind only Jagr and Forsberg.

So without the additional competiton of Euros, Gretzky finished 7th, 3rd and 1st in three consecutive seasons during that stretch. Take out Lemieux, and it's 6th, 2nd, and 1st, not too bad. Yet Jagr had a higher ppg each season and the only season he had fewer points was '97 (97-95) due to injury, but still had 1.51 ppg to 1.18 for Gretzky. Over the entire three years, Jagr had 1.63 ppg to 1.18 for Gretzky. It just goes to show how there are many misperceptions of strength of competition during the '90s, due to the lower scoring in the league and the influx of skilled Euro forwards.

Things are not as cut and dried as we might like. Some years a Moore or Iginla or St. Louis can win a Ross, other years Gretzky, Lemieux and Yzerman battle it out. It's very rare that most or all of the top players are going to be in their prime in the same seasons, but there was no lack of competition in the '90s.

The top 20 scorers in '96 included Lemieux, Jagr, Sakic, Forsberg, Lindros, Selanne, Kariya, Mogilny, Fedorov, Gretzky, Messier, and Yzerman. Talk about strong competition.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Jagr's numbers without Lemieux dropped more than 10% so you have effectively demonstrated that Jagr was alot more dependent on Lemieux than Esposito was on Orr. Post trade Jagr numbers in Washington dropped more than the 1/3 that Esposito's did with the Rangers after the trade from the Bruins.Again Jagr was more dependant on Lemieux than Esposito was on Orr. Post lockout with limits on obstruction there was a bounce back followed by a drop downwards again.

Interesting smoke and mirrors in your Jagr and Lemieux comparisons. When it suits your purpose of making Jagr look better you use raw totals otherwise you use PPG or adjusted numbers 1990-91 Lemieux only played 26 games while Jagr played 80.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/PIT/1991.html

Adjusted on a PPG bases Lemieux seriously outperformed Jagr. Compare Jagr's rookie year to Lemieux's rookie year and Lemieux is much more impressive.

1995-96 adjusted on a PPG basis Lemieux's margin of victory would be app 35 points which would have produced greater separation than the gap between Jagr and 3rd place.

Moore won the Art Ross two years in a row beating Howe by 7 and 16 points. St. Louis and Iginla did not win the Art Ross two years in a row.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Jagr's numbers without Lemieux dropped more than 10% so you have effectively demonstrated that Jagr was alot more dependent on Lemieux than Esposito was on Orr. Post trade Jagr numbers in Washington dropped more than the 1/3 that Esposito's did with the Rangers after the trade from the Bruins.Again Jagr was more dependant on Lemieux than Esposito was on Orr. Post lockout with limits on obstruction there was a bounce back followed by a drop downwards again.

If his numbers dropped 10% while league scoring dropped 15%, I'd say he fared well without Lemieux. How is his 10% drop in a 15% lower scoring league more than a 1/3 drop in a league where scoring stayed the same? The difference is that without Orr, Espo never came close to his production with Orr... while without Lemieux, Jagr won 4 Rosses and was second at age 34, was a 5 time 1st Team All-Star, and was a Hart finalist 5 times. He had a jump in production once he got back to a team that didn't follow your hockey philosophy of asking the most skilled player in the game to concentrate on defense. His drop in production following major shoulder surgery included a top 10 finish in points, with linemate Nylander first in playoff ppg the first year, and Jagr first in playoff ppg the second year.

Interesting smoke and mirrors in your Jagr and Lemieux comparisons. When it suits your purpose of making Jagr look better you use raw totals otherwise you use PPG or adjusted numbers 1990-91 Lemieux only played 26 games while Jagr played 80.

You are the one using smoke and mirrors. If everyone accepted adjusted numbers, I would stick with those exclusively. When there isn't a large change in scoring, I often use actual data in an attempt to keep it simple.

Yes, I was seriously trying to say that Jagr was better than Lemieux in 1990-91.

Adjusted on a PPG bases Lemieux seriously outperformed Jagr. Compare Jagr's rookie year to Lemieux's rookie year and Lemieux is much more impressive.

I wasn't comparing there rookie years. I was comparing them in '91 to show how beating Gordie Howe a season or two is not reason to put a player above a player who dominated his era (for instance, leading the NHL in goals and assists over the last 20 years).

1995-96 adjusted on a PPG basis Lemieux's margin of victory would be app 35 points which would have produced greater separation than the gap between Jagr and 3rd place.

Does Pavel Bure's 13 goals in 11 games make him the best goal scorer in his prime? Jagr led the NHL in gpg in '97, but never got his Richard trophy. PPG is useful to establish a talent/production level when healthy, but does not determine actual value, especially in the case of players who never stay healthy (Lemieux, Lindros).

Moore won the Art Ross two years in a row beating Howe by 7 and 16 points. St. Louis and Iginla did not win the Art Ross two years in a row.

I was not comparing the players, they were mentioned together as examples of players who won the Ross at times when it was easier than normal to do so.

Here's the select list of players who beat Gordie Howe in points at least one season, from '49/50 to '68/69:

Ted Lindsay
Sid Abel
Bernie Geoffrion
Maurice Richard
Jean Beliveau
Dutch Reibel
Dickie Moore
Henri Richard
Andy Bathgate
Bobby Hull
Bronco Horvath
Frank Mahovlich
Stan Mikita
Norm Ullman
Bobby Rousseau
Phil Esposito

That's at least 16 players who beat a top 4 player, so they are all top 4 players? I always knew Bronco Horvath was better than Guy Lafleur.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
If................

If his numbers dropped 10% while league scoring dropped 15%, I'd say he fared well without Lemieux. How is his 10% drop in a 15% lower scoring league more than a 1/3 drop in a league where scoring stayed the same? The difference is that without Orr, Espo never came close to his production with Orr... while without Lemieux, Jagr won 4 Rosses and was second at age 34, was a 5 time 1st Team All-Star, and was a Hart finalist 5 times. His drop in production following major shoulder surgery included a top 10 finish in points, with linemate Nylander first in playoff ppg the first year, and Jagr first in playoff ppg the second year.

You are the one using smoke and mirrors. If everyone accepted adjusted numbers, I would stick with those exclusively. When there isn't a large change in scoring, I often use actual data in an attempt to keep it simple.

Yes, I was seriously trying to say that Jagr was better than Lemieux in 1990-91.

I wasn't comparing there rookie years. I was comparing them in '91 to show how beating Gordie Howe a season or two is not reason to put a player above a player who dominated his era (for instance, leading the NHL in goals and assists over the last 20 years).

Does Pavel Bure's 13 goals in 11 games make him the best goal scorer in his prime? Jagr led the NHL in gpg in '97, but never got his Richard trophy. PPG is useful to establish a talent/production level when healthy, but does not determine actual value, especially in the case of players who never stay healthy (Lemieux, Lindros).

I was not comparing the players, they were mentioned together as examples of players who won the Ross at times when it was easier than normal to do so.

Here's the select list of players who beat Gordie Howe in points at least one season, from '49/50 to '68/69:

Ted Lindsay
Sid Abel
Bernie Geoffrion
Maurice Richard
Jean Beliveau
Dutch Reibel
Dickie Moore
Henri Richard
Andy Bathgate
Bobby Hull
Bronco Horvath
Frank Mahovlich
Stan Mikita
Norm Ullman
Bobby Rousseau
Phil Esposito

That's at least 16 players who beat a top 4 player, so they are all top 4 players? I always knew Bronco Horvath was better than Guy Lafleur.

Always the if - biggest word in the dictionary.

1997-98 without Lemieux, after adjustments for games played Jagr's numbers dropped app 12.5% somewhat more than your claimed 10% for Esposito's drop without Orr. The ultimate test is that every team that Phil Esposito played on made the Stanley Cup finals. Chicago and New York did so without Orr. Same cannot be said for Jaromir Jagr since Washington and New York did not leaving you grasping for straws and introducing the Michael Nylander achievement factor into the discussion.

With Lemieux,Jagr winning the Art Ross numerous times and other awards would be even more impressive but that did not happen.Which is why Jagr's achievements have to be viewed with a critical eye.

Concentrating on defense. Interesting comment. So you can paper the discussion with stats spinning numbers whichever way suits your fancy but you do not actually understand hockey. Offense skills combined with on ice awareness mirror defensive skills with on ice awareness. The two go together. Just as each leg is equally important when skating. Having skills with the puck and on ice awareness offensively translates very easily into knowing what to do when the other team has the puck and a player has to play defense.

Specifically getting the puck to the best scoring areas with the best body position to score is no different skill wise and awareness wise than getting into the same positions defensively to prevent scoring opportunities while getting the puck back for your team. Likewise the ability to see how the play is developing offensively and evaluate the best scoring opportunities is no different from the ability to see how the risks to your team defensively and re-act accordingly.

This is evident even at the pre-teen level. When offensive strategies are show to young hockey players, the one's with a bit of hockey sophistication will pick-up the proper defensive counters by default. Likewise further to defensive strategies the same youngsters pick-up the resulting offensive opportunities by default.The game is very simple.

The biggest difference is the willingness to do so - to make the effort defensively. Not all players are willing to make the effort defensively yet the nature of the game is such that making the defensive effort reduces overall effort while creating more offensive opportunities.

So what is the point of comparing the results of a healthy player to one that is not? Going the other way, showing that an injured player managed more while playing fewer games puts talent in perspective.

The Howe list covering 20 seasons is interesting from the standpoint of what is does not say. 13 of the 16 players are HHOF caliber players and you had to cover 20 season to come up with 16.

How many players who are not HHOF caliber would make a similar list if the methodology were applied to Jaromir Jagr's NHL career which did not cover twenty years or even if we look at just his post Pittsburgh career?

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Always the if - biggest word in the dictionary.

1997-98 without Lemieux, after adjustments for games played Jagr's numbers dropped app 12.5% somewhat more than your claimed 10% for Esposito's drop without Orr. The ultimate test is that every team that Phil Esposito played on made the Stanley Cup finals. Chicago and New York did so without Orr. Same cannot be said for Jaromir Jagr since Washington and New York did not leaving you grasping for straws and introducing the Michael Nylander achievement factor into the discussion.

With Lemieux,Jagr winning the Art Ross numerous times and other awards would be even more impressive but that did not happen.Which is why Jagr's achievements have to be viewed with a critical eye.

Concentrating on defense. Interesting comment. So you can paper the discussion with stats spinning numbers whichever way suits your fancy but you do not actually understand hockey. Offense skills combined with on ice awareness mirror defensive skills with on ice awareness. The two go together. Just as each leg is equally important when skating. Having skills with the puck and on ice awareness offensively translates very easily into knowing what to do when the other team has the puck and a player has to play defense.

Specifically getting the puck to the best scoring areas with the best body position to score is no different skill wise and awareness wise than getting into the same positions defensively to prevent scoring opportunities while getting the puck back for your team. Likewise the ability to see how the play is developing offensively and evaluate the best scoring opportunities is no different from the ability to see how the risks to your team defensively and re-act accordingly.

This is evident even at the pre-teen level. When offensive strategies are show to young hockey players, the one's with a bit of hockey sophistication will pick-up the proper defensive counters by default. Likewise further to defensive strategies the same youngsters pick-up the resulting offensive opportunities by default.The game is very simple.

The biggest difference is the willingness to do so - to make the effort defensively. Not all players are willing to make the effort defensively yet the nature of the game is such that making the defensive effort reduces overall effort while creating more offensive opportunities.

So what is the point of comparing the results of a healthy player to one that is not? Going the other way, showing that an injured player managed more while playing fewer games puts talent in perspective.

The Howe list covering 20 seasons is interesting from the standpoint of what is does not say. 13 of the 16 players are HHOF caliber players and you had to cover 20 season to come up with 16.

How many players who are not HHOF caliber would make a similar list if the methodology were applied to Jaromir Jagr's NHL career which did not cover twenty years or even if we look at just his post Pittsburgh career?

It is very apparent that you have a dislike for Jagr.

You talk about Esposito, and you fail to realize that Esposito outside of Boston was never a dominant force. He played with arguably the greatest player in the history of the game, the only defenseman that ever won an Art Ross, don't you think his numbers were a tad bit inflated playing with him?

Then you mention Jagr's statistical high in 1995-96 but you do not point out the historial context of it. 1995-96's GPG (goals per game) was only 6.29, in the 1970's only twice was the GPG lower and that was in 1970-71 and 1971-72. Yes Esposito put up his career high of 152 Pts in that time frame but he benefited from playing with Orr more than Jagr benefited from playing with Lemieux, since Lemieux and Jagr played on two different lines while Esposito and Orr shared both powerplay and evenstrength time together. Also what's not being mentioned is the disparity in game play from the 70's and 90's.

The reason why the 90's and beyond didn't feature as many dominant players as decades past is because the overall game play had become a lot more equal between superstars, stars and average hockey players.

Goalies were also bigger, and had bigger equipment in the 90's, the 70's featuring matchstick men who often times used those (Jason Voorhees masks).

In Esposito's time he was one of the biggest (stature sized) hockey players and could just park himself in front of the net.

In the 90's Esposito would have been a rather averaged sized hockey player since even Jagr himself was bigger and stronger than Esposito.

Jagr's 149 Pts in 1995-96 (Lemieux or not) was achieved while not playing with Lemieux eventrength (Jagr was the significant leader in eventrength scoring that year), achieved in a much more equal NHL (disparity between weak players and teams and better players and teams), he also did it when goalies were better overall (Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Cujo, Belfour all say hello) and he had a 29 Pts lead over the NHL's 3rd leading scoring.

Put in any other context and he would win the Art Ross with a runaway.

It's not like Esposito scored 152 Pts and was the runaway dominant leader, he benefited a lot from playing with Orr.

In fact Esposito only won the Art Ross by 13 Pts over Orr (who in turn won the Hart and not Esposito) and considering Orr was a defenseman it basically takes away from Esposito's dominance. How can a defenseman even come close in scoring to the NHL's Art Ross winner? Well that year Orr did.

Then you also fail to mention that eventhough 149 Pts is Jagr's career high statistically, his play in 1998-99 (127 Pts) is his best year in terms of pure dominance and overall play.

I would put up Jagr's 127 Pts in 1998-99 (when the GPG was only 5.27) anyday of the weak against any season by a player not named Lemieux and Gretzky and I think Jagr would come out on top.

Why is it that Esposito could barely break 90 Pts when he played for Chicago or New York but was suddenly a 130 Pts player with Boston? Might it have something to do with Orr? I think so.

Jagr put up 100 Pts seasons even without Lemieux.

Also Jagr's 149 Pts in 1995-96 wasn't the first time he was dominant. He did it the previous year and won his first Art Ross without Lemieux.

Esposito never ever won a Hart or Art Ross without Orr.

Jagr won 4 Art Ross trophies and 1 Hart without Lemieux. Not to mention 2 Lester B. Pearson awards (I'm only mentioning his so-called prime years since his 2005-06 would have to rank up there in terms of dominance even at age 34).

Just stop your baseless Jagr bashing. Lafleur, Esposito, Bossy, Clarke, guys you are so ready and willing to place ahead of Jagr all scored when scoring was much easier and were never the dominant presences that Jagr was without Lemieux.

BTW Jagr's 1998-99 season adjusted is 167 Pts (that's not very much less than his 1995-96 adjusted season and he did it without Lemieux flat out), what have you to say to that? When did Esposito ever do anything without Orr, the best straight up player of the 70's?

No one in the history of the game (not even Orr himself) could beat out Gretzky or Lemieux in their primes for the Art Ross, so why does Jagr get penalized for failing to do so himself?

His adjusted points would be basically the clear 2nd or 3rd highest (depending on when Lemieux was healthy) in the NHL, year after year during the run and gun 80's.

When Gretzky and Lemieux were putting up over 160 Pts consistently, Jagr would have been putting up 140 + Pts consistently, when even guys like Lafontaine, Yzerman, Statsny, Lafleur, Dionne, Bossy were not doing that.

Jagr's 1.26 PPG (7th highest all time and 4th highest with players having played over 900 games) means he was one heck of a dominant player since the majority of his career was played in the "dead puck era".

Jagr was also the games best playming winger of all time. He was putting consistent 60-80 assists seasons as a winger, that's got to say something about his dominance, he was also a consistent 40-50 goal scorer in those years.

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Selective

It is very apparent that you have a dislike for Jagr.

You talk about Esposito, and you fail to realize that Esposito outside of Boston was never a dominant force. He played with arguably the greatest player in the history of the game, the only defenseman that ever won an Art Ross, don't you think his numbers were a tad bit inflated playing with him?

Then you mention Jagr's statistical high in 1995-96 but you do not point out the historial context of it. 1995-96's GPG (goals per game) was only 6.29, in the 1970's only twice was the GPG lower and that was in 1970-71 and 1971-72. Yes Esposito put up his career high of 152 Pts in that time frame but he benefited from playing with Orr more than Jagr benefited from playing with Lemieux, since Lemieux and Jagr played on two different lines while Esposito and Orr shared both powerplay and evenstrength time together. Also what's not being mentioned is the disparity in game play from the 70's and 90's.

The reason why the 90's and beyond didn't feature as many dominant players as decades past is because the overall game play had become a lot more equal between superstars, stars and average hockey players.

Goalies were also bigger, and had bigger equipment in the 90's, the 70's featuring matchstick men who often times used those (Jason Voorhees masks).

In Esposito's time he was one of the biggest (stature sized) hockey players and could just park himself in front of the net.

In the 90's Esposito would have been a rather averaged sized hockey player since even Jagr himself was bigger and stronger than Esposito.

Jagr's 149 Pts in 1995-96 (Lemieux or not) was achieved while not playing with Lemieux eventrength (Jagr was the significant leader in eventrength scoring that year), achieved in a much more equal NHL (disparity between weak players and teams and better players and teams), he also did it when goalies were better overall (Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Cujo, Belfour all say hello) and he had a 29 Pts lead over the NHL's 3rd leading scoring.

Put in any other context and he would win the Art Ross with a runaway.

It's not like Esposito scored 152 Pts and was the runaway dominant leader, he benefited a lot from playing with Orr.

In fact Esposito only won the Art Ross by 13 Pts over Orr (who in turn won the Hart and not Esposito) and considering Orr was a defenseman it basically takes away from Esposito's dominance. How can a defenseman even come close in scoring to the NHL's Art Ross winner? Well that year Orr did.

Then you also fail to mention that eventhough 149 Pts is Jagr's career high statistically, his play in 1998-99 (127 Pts) is his best year in terms of pure dominance and overall play.

I would put up Jagr's 127 Pts in 1998-99 (when the GPG was only 5.27) anyday of the weak against any season by a player not named Lemieux and Gretzky and I think Jagr would come out on top.

Why is it that Esposito could barely break 90 Pts when he played for Chicago or New York but was suddenly a 130 Pts player with Boston? Might it have something to do with Orr? I think so.

Jagr put up 100 Pts seasons even without Lemieux.

Also Jagr's 149 Pts in 1995-96 wasn't the first time he was dominant. He did it the previous year and won his first Art Ross without Lemieux.

Esposito never ever won a Hart or Art Ross without Orr.

Jagr won 4 Art Ross trophies and 1 Hart without Lemieux. Not to mention 2 Lester B. Pearson awards (I'm only mentioning his so-called prime years since his 2005-06 would have to rank up there in terms of dominance even at age 34).

Just stop your baseless Jagr bashing. Lafleur, Esposito, Bossy, Clarke, guys you are so ready and willing to place ahead of Jagr all scored when scoring was much easier and were never the dominant presences that Jagr was without Lemieux.

BTW Jagr's 1998-99 season adjusted is 167 Pts (that's not very much less than his 1995-96 adjusted season and he did it without Lemieux flat out), what have you to say to that? When did Esposito ever do anything without Orr, the best straight up player of the 70's?

No one in the history of the game (not even Orr himself) could beat out Gretzky or Lemieux in their primes for the Art Ross, so why does Jagr get penalized for failing to do so himself?

His adjusted points would be basically the clear 2nd or 3rd highest (depending on when Lemieux was healthy) in the NHL, year after year during the run and gun 80's.

When Gretzky and Lemieux were putting up over 160 Pts consistently, Jagr would have been putting up 140 + Pts consistently, when even guys like Lafontaine, Yzerman, Statsny, Lafleur, Dionne, Bossy were not doing that.

Jagr's 1.26 PPG (7th highest all time and 4th highest with players having played over 900 games) means he was one heck of a dominant player since the majority of his career was played in the "dead puck era".

Jagr was also the games best playming winger of all time. He was putting consistent 60-80 assists seasons as a winger, that's got to say something about his dominance, he was also a consistent 40-50 goal scorer in those years.

Again you are being selective with your data.

Goaltenders. I'll spot you Grant Fuhr but beyond that Jagr faced Roy, Brodeur, Hasek who are definite HHOFers and two strong possibilities Belfour and Joseph. Prime or career the names do not change.

Phil Esposito faced almost twice as many, including the possibles, recognized HHOFers - Giacomin, Parent, Plante, T.Esposito,Bower,Hall, Worsley,Dryden, Sawchuk, Smith, Cheevers.

Now let's compare responsible defensive left wingers that Jagr faced to responsible defensive centers that Esposito faced.

During Jaromir Jagr's entire career not one left winger won the Selke Trophy.Previously you had Bob Gainey and Craig Ramsey. During Phil Esposito's career he had to face the following elite defensive centers - just a short list, no particular order Jean Beliveau, Henri Richard, Doug Jarvis, Dave Keon, Red Kelly,Darryl Sittler,Stan Mikita, Walt Tkaczuk,Don Luce,Bobby Clarke,Alex Delvecchio, Bryan Trottier, amongst others.

Tougher to score against HHOF level opponents. Esposito faced such opponents in greater numbers and more often head to head.

Not a question of liking or disliking Jagr just not seeing top 10 prime credentials or top 10 career credentials while being bombarded with data that is very easy to overturn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad