Speculation: Top remaining UFAs - do any not get signed?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Not sure how much of an effect a LW or RHD has on Gardiner who is a LHD. Besides, that is like saying "I'm not sure how you expect NYR to dump Marc Staal when there are players like Vatanen or Hoffman without contracts". Cap dumps happen every offseason.

Presumably the Canes move Gardiner by adding an asset to a team that either 1) doesn't want Vatanen/Hoffman or 2) can't sign Vatanen/Hoffman because they don't want to sign there.

Cap dumps might happen every off-season, but the cap also goes up every off-season and teams generally start the season with the expectation of fans paying to see their team. Marc Staal was traded before free agency and the full reality of the cap reality became clear. Staal also has 1 year left with a salary below his cap hit. Gardiner has 3 years left with his actual salary going up every year (not to mention a m-ntc).

Any team willing to take on a cap dump would be farther ahead to just one of the remaining good players and flip them at the deadline for a better asset. What are you willing to attach to Gardiner? Is it better than the return on Hoffman at 50%? If the choice for Hoffman is 1M to a good team or 5M+ to start on a bad team then get traded to a good team I think I know what he'll choose.

Reactions: Morrison
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Nobody said he had no talent. I said he wasn't REALLY talented. Really talented players are guys like McDavid, Mackinnon, Ovechkin, Crosby. AA has one really good talent and that's his skating.

I mean technically speaking, there is no exact definition of what "really talented" means, as it is semantics. What if I think Junior B players are "really talented"?

So in my opinion AA is "really talented" and you can't really tell me otherwise because it's a matter of opinion. I've watched 97% of his games, and he is a talented hockey player. If we are talking pure skills and talent, then to me he is "really talented".

Also, show me where I put him in the same category as McDavid, or Mackinnon, or Ovechkin. You can't because I never made these claims, so I'm not entirely sure why you are putting words in my mouth.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Hoffman scares people because he's going to want significant money and be worth it in terms of goal-scoring, but i'm sure he's narrowed an already shallow list of teams with cap space, down to very few...with his "reputation" re: the whole Karlsson situation.
you can count the number of teams that are worried about the so called "reputation" re: karlsson on one finger.

he wants to get paid and play in a situation that helps him score goals. any team that can offer both currently would need to make trades to do it.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
you can count the number of teams that are worried about the so called "reputation" re: karlsson on one finger.

he wants to get paid and play in a situation that helps him score goals. any team that can offer both currently would need to make trades to do it.
Have there been UFAs to sign this far after day one, who signed for big money? Aren’t the big dollar contracts at the beginning, and then guys gets less the longer they wait? I’m thinking Hoffman is going to get a lot less than he’s expecting, and signs a one year deal.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I think more teams are worried about Hoffman now, especially after the cyberbullying his wife did to the Karlssons and given the recent bullying conversations we've had regarding Mitchell Miller. And then the first game Hoffman and Karlsson play against each other, Hoffman grabs him and tries to fight him. Very bad look on Hoffman's part.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Come again?

Quoting myself

Tweener in the sense of getting a contract or a PTO, not in hockey ability. I also said I would not be surprised if he did sign before camp. My opinion is that he asked for too much considering the flat cap and that teams may have gone for cheaper options. That may lead to him having to steal the spot in a full 23 roster.

What made him stay UFA is his contract demands, not his hockey abilities. He either has to lower the money or go to a team he might not want to go to. Same thing with everyone else on the list.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
There are some pretty talented UFAs left.

Forwards:
  • Hoffman
  • Mikael Granlund
  • Duclair
  • Kovy
  • Haula
  • Brassard
Dmen:
  • Chara
  • Vatanen
  • Hamonic
However, teams are way more cap constrained than normal this year ... maybe some of these guys get a better offers overseas than in the NHL? Or older guys, like Chara/Kovy, decide it’s not worth it, and retire?

Do you think any of the above players DON’T end up in the NHL next year, and if so who?

I will say that Hamonic may just stay home and not sign any deal . Just my take .
No need to announce any retirement because what he does is his own business

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Word in Boston is that the B's want to move him to a front office job but Chara is intent on playing again. Doubt he opts out.

Would love if Holland could convince Chara to sign when Klefbom goes on LTIR. I get he’s slowing down but what a great mentor for a very young D core

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I will say that Hamonic may just stay home and not sign any deal . Just my take .
No need to announce any retirement because what he does is his own business
Yeah, I think that’s moderately likely. He opted out of the bubble, and COVID is way worse now than it was then.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah, I think that’s moderately likely. He opted out of the bubble, and COVID is way worse now than it was then.
not to mention that cap space is so valuable now, and if you sign someone you need to count on them actually showing up. It's a bit cruel but also true. But ultimately, if Hamonic wants a deal I think he will get one. But perhaps the owners might want an answer about whether they will be expected to pay him if he opts out (not sure what the accepted rule on that is)

But even if they would be off the hook, if you miss out on the player, other players you could have signed might be gone by then

Reactions: Morrison and ponder

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Dallas needs to find a way to sign Haula to help replace Seguin until he’s back. I think Dallas has looked into Haula if I’m not mistaken

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'm about 99% certain everyone on this list gets an offer once players start going on LTIR. Hamonic I could see in Winnipeg if he doesn't decide to opt out of the season.

It's a smart move to wait it out at this point. There will be more available money and a clearer picture on team cap once LTIR kicks in. No clubs want to be handcuffed by going into the allowed 10% overage in the off season as it would only cripple bargaining power.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Why you bringing up his OHL stats? Haha. Jonathan Cheechoo scored 50 goals once upon a time. Then what happened? Where did all AA talent go in Edmonton? Hes a fast player who cant/doesnt want to play defense.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with his two-way game.

The fact that would fabricate this certainly looks like you are trying to find a way to criticize a player you (obviously) don't know much about.

Reactions: RedWingzz

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Wish Rangers kept him instead of that year and half of Yandle, but if they extended Yandle then i would not mind it so much. Yandle was a good Ranger.
Ngl that last sentence makes it seem like you're talking about a dog hahah.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
There is another factor here that people are not considering.

What about all the teams currently over the cap, that may want to pay someone assets to cap dump.

If TB assets are up for grabs, I'm not wasting that cap space on a Granlund right now.

Also bad teams don't sign veteran players at all anymore on good deals. They go with the kids or offer playing time and show me deals.
There is no team contender or rebuilder that is offering these guys "good" contracts.

P.S. in regard to the Athanasiou debate. Those highlights that were shown... don't involve anyone other than AA going on a solo deke the whole team skate. AA isn't a very good team player. I don't want him back in Detroit because we know he can't help us win hockey games. He can sell tickets , but he won't help us win. I think everyone knows this. He will get a league minimum deal... or if he's stubborn, NO deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad