Speculation: Top remaining UFAs - do any not get signed?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
There are some pretty talented UFAs left.

Forwards:
  • Hoffman
  • Mikael Granlund
  • Duclair
  • Kovy
  • Haula
  • Brassard
Dmen:
  • Chara
  • Vatanen
  • Hamonic
However, teams are way more cap constrained than normal this year ... maybe some of these guys get a better offers overseas than in the NHL? Or older guys, like Chara/Kovy, decide it’s not worth it, and retire?

Do you think any of the above players DON’T end up in the NHL next year, and if so who?

Last edited:

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Feel like Hoffman and Nashville would be a good match. There's cap space for them. Nashville adds a winger to a thin set of wingers beyond their top line, they get a shoot first player rather than a pass first guy like they had in Granlund, and they have a good weapon on what has been a horrendous powerplay.

However, I feel like if it was gonna happen it would've happened by now.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Chara may opt out if he's not happy with the way the season looks this year (Bubble? Scheduling? Travel? etc).

I have a funny feeling that Hamonic may not play either. Given his reputation around the league (Which doesn't always agree with his perceived Advanced Statistical value), the fact that he's not signed yet means he is either waiting for the perfect scenario or not interested in playing. With him opting out of last year's playoffs for family reasons, I just have the funny feeling he might not come back this year, maybe even retire completely.

With the way things are going Covid-wise, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see any or all of Haula, Granlund and/or Kovalchuk play a season in Europe and see what the lay of the land looks like for 2021-22.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Probably no chance Hamonic plays. The guy opted out of the "bubble playoffs" because of Covid and his fears and liabilities there. He's rich as heck. He can afford to just take the year off and see what happens.

Hoffman scares people because he's going to want significant money and be worth it in terms of goal-scoring, but i'm sure he's narrowed an already shallow list of teams with cap space, down to very few...with his "reputation" re: the whole Karlsson situation.

Granlund will find a gig for sure. It's just a matter of how little he's willing to take, to find the right fit to rehabilitate his reputation after failing pretty miserably in Nashville due to a poor fit. Someone will toss him some cheddar to come in and score a few points though.

Haula will also find a role. Worst case, there'd be a line out the door of teams looking to sign him up as a versatile middle-6 piece with speed. Just a matter of waiting to see what the best offer is, which might take a while for teams to get desperate.

Brassard is a similar case to Haula, but lesser. Which should make it easier for him to find a deal somewhere. He's already coming off a 1-year "prove it" bargain bin deal...which means he's willing to go there. It's just a question of whether he's willing to go there twice in a row...and what sort of "team fit" he can find, to put himself in the right situation to succeed like he did in NYI.

Vatanen will land somewhere...but he's probably asking Top-4D money, when he played the last year like a #5ish bottom-pairing guy for the most part. He'll definitely find a solid landing spot though. Teams will always spend a little bit on a #4/5ish RHD with a history of being a lot better than that. It's just a matter of teams trying to sort out where to get the cap, and Vatanen realizing that he's either going to get kinda okay money...or be on a decent team. Not both.

Kovalchuk and Duclair, both probably on their way to Russia. Kovy is old and barely anybody wanted to sign him in better cap times for basically minimum dollar. He's one of those players who is great if you're a bad team, but terrible and useless if you're a good one. Nobody is going to offer him more than "filler" minimum price, and he'll be way better off just going back to Russia where he's a star. Duclair is a pretty similar player at this point. He can score goals on a bad team, but he's gonna be useless on a good team that already has better Top-6 forwards.

Chara is a huge wildcard. I kinda feel like he's gonna find a place to play. And i wouldn't be surprised if it's Vancouver based on the Benning connection. On some sort of 1-year heavily bonus-laden deal that pushes cap to the future.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Chara may opt out if he's not happy with the way the season looks this year (Bubble? Scheduling? Travel? etc).

I have a funny feeling that Hamonic may not play either. Given his reputation around the league (Which doesn't always agree with his perceived Advanced Statistical value), the fact that he's not signed yet means he is either waiting for the perfect scenario or not interested in playing. With him opting out of last year's playoffs for family reasons, I just have the funny feeling he might not come back this year, maybe even retire completely.

With the way things are going Covid-wise, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see any or all of Haula, Granlund and/or Kovalchuk play a season in Europe and see what the lay of the land looks like for 2021-22.
Word in Boston is that the B's want to move him to a front office job but Chara is intent on playing again. Doubt he opts out.

Reactions: Morrison

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I've read in other threads that some of these players may get signed after teams are able to put their players on LTIR. When would this happen for eligible players? Thx.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Wish Rangers kept him instead of that year and half of Yandle, but if they extended Yandle then i would not mind it so much. Yandle was a good Ranger.

Duclair has bounced around a lot since we traded him. Even if we didn't trade him for Yandle, it's very likely he would have been traded at some other point. Regarding Yandle, he's 34 and had 3 years left on his contract at 6.35 mi. That number probably would have been higher in NY. Do you really want that contract?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Contracts
Hoffman
Mikael Granlund
Vatanen
Hamonic

PTO
Haula
Brassard

Europe
Chara
Kovy

Gets an agent to repair his f*** up
Duclair

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The only one I can see making more than 4 million per on a longer deal than 2 years is Hoffman.

This is the COIVD-19 2020 UFA victim list.
Maybe Hoffman doesn’t get signed for much, if at all? The guy can score, but maybe teams are avoiding him, and not necessarily because of money?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad