Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

Spencer's a good kid on and off the ice. Very talented, gets called small which I don't quite understand...he's listed at 5'10 175 which I would say is accurate.

Rely's on his skill and head as he's not exactly the quickest guy out there. QB'ed the point for the BBears for the last few years. Wicked wrister.

Now I'm never saying another nice thing about that damn franchise or its players again.

Dec 2, 2010
CBJ sign U of M goalie Shawn Hunwick to an amateur tryout agreement after Steve Mason was injured in practice. Hunwick will back up former RPI goalie Allen York tonight against Detroit.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2012/03/mason-out-hunwick-in.html

Hunwick seems a little smallish. Mason and York are the only 2 goalies the Jackets have under contract that aren't injured, so it's an emergency situation.
Hunwick is definitely small, but he's shown incredible things in the NCAA. Great signing for the Jackets. He'll need some time to adjust to the pros though and he shouldn't be in the NHL next year.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
@TBLightning: Lightning sign Minnesota-Duluth forward JT Brown this evening. He looks to play for the Bolts later this week or early next.

Awesome. Very excited about this guy. Good start to the offseason for TB IMO.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He's from the bay area, right?

I stated that because of how he attended their rookie camp last year and seemed like a player on their radar. they obviously liked what they saw and signed him.

he was born in Cali, but I believe he spent the majority of his time in the midwest/Minnesota area IIRC.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Well I was wrong about Brown. Getting a chance to play this year in NHL can do that I guess.

Also what happened to Andrej Sustr? Wasnt he gaining some pretty strong interest at one point?

Last edited:

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Also what happened to Andrej Sustr? Wasnt he gaining some pretty strong interest at one point?

I don't know, but I very hope that the Leafs will try to sign him.

Having a 21 years old 6'8" defenseman with a decent skill set in the system would be a nice additon if developed well.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Who is left that will sign? I think it is safe to say that Sustr will be going back to school since his season ended a while ago. Besides Jeremy Welsh of Union, any talented free agents that are projected to sign out there?

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Who is left that will sign? I think it is safe to say that Sustr will be going back to school since his season ended a while ago. Besides Jeremy Welsh of Union, any talented free agents that are projected to sign out there?

jack connolly (minnesota-duluth)
ludwig karlsson (northeastern - but i doubt he leaves after one year)
matt mangene (maine - only a junior though, so he doesnt have to leave)
kelly zajac (union - they're still playing though)
troy grosenick (see zajac)
nate schmidt (minnesota - still playing)

for goalies i don't see much outside of grosenick. people may say Cody Reichard but I don't think he's worth anything, but I do like some underclassmen such as michigan state's Will Yanakeff and denver's Juho Olkinuora.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
jack connolly (minnesota-duluth)
ludwig karlsson (northeastern - but i doubt he leaves after one year)
matt mangene (maine - only a junior though, so he doesnt have to leave)
kelly zajac (union - they're still playing though)
troy grosenick (see zajac)
nate schmidt (minnesota - still playing)

for goalies i don't see much outside of grosenick. people may say Cody Reichard but I don't think he's worth anything, but I do like some underclassmen such as michigan state's Will Yanakeff and denver's Juho Olkinuora.

Karlsson is coming back for another year.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I hope Kelly Zajac signs with his hometown team. He seems like a pretty good prospect.

Plus maybe he can lure Travis here next year :naughty:

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
I'm also hearing that Chris Rawlings may be coming back too. He's considered one of the top (undrafted) goalies available.

cyred: IMO, Sustr just didn't have a very good year. Sure, he has the size but didn't do anything that was really noteworthy with UNO.

Yes Chris Rawlings is pretty much definitely returning, which meant Jon Gillies decommitting. This is Rawlings' chance to have a big rebound year and show some consistency. No one knows how long Karlsson is going to stay, but it appears he's one of the great college athletes that actually value an education.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Yes Chris Rawlings is pretty much definitely returning, which meant Jon Gillies decommitting. This is Rawlings' chance to have a big rebound year and show consistency. No one knows how long Karlsson is going to stay, but it appears he's one of the great college athletes that actually value an education.

Like you, I've seen the Huskies numerous times this season. And I think the one thing we can both agree on is that if Karlsson continues to develop at the pace he did this season, he'll almost be a guaranteed top UFA (even more than right now) at this time next year.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
I'm also hearing that Chris Rawlings may be coming back too. He's considered one of the top (undrafted) goalies available.

cyred: IMO, Sustr just didn't have a very good year. Sure, he has the size but didn't do anything that was really noteworthy with UNO.

I haven't seen him play, and I know that stats aren't everything, but a 6'8" defenseman with 17 points in 33 games is worth the developing I think?

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
Like you, I've seen the Huskies numerous times this season. And I think the one thing we can both agree on is that if Karlsson continues to develop at the pace he did this season, he'll almost be a guaranteed top UFA (even more than right now) at this time next year.

I thought the same thing- I saw NU at Minnesota this year and came away thinking that Karlsson's time at the NCAA level will be short-lived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad