Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Elliotte Friedman with a handful of names in his column today: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-decision-galchenyuk-looms-canadiens/

23. There isn’t one particular jewel. But, there are some who intrigue, although most will need AHL seasoning. There’s a wide variety of opinion; players some teams really liked and others didn’t. Union College gets scouted a bit, because the Dutchmen have at least three on the radar.

Their top two scorers are Michael Vecchione and Spencer Foo. Vecchione is a senior, so he’s ready to come out. Foo, from Edmonton, has another year, and his younger brother Parker is committed to join. So teams wonder if he wants to wait. Union has a defenceman named Nick DiSimone a few teams grudgingly admitted they were watching, but he also has another year remaining and the school wants him to stay. He may need a year or two in the AHL, but there is definitely interest.

24. One of the first to go pro is expected to be New Hampshire’s Tyler Kelleher. He’s five-foot-six, but a talented player, and, barring upsets, the Wildcats are not going far in the post-season. He’s similar to several of the other forwards NHL teams are watching. They put up good numbers but aren’t physically imposing. Others to watch: Zach Aston-Reese (Northeastern); Alex Iafallo (Minnesota-Duluth); Griffen Molino (Western Michigan); Nicholas Schilkey (Ohio State); C.J. Smith (Lowell); John Stevens (Northeastern). He is the son of Los Angeles associate coach John Stevens. Brother Nolan, a St. Louis pick, is also on the team.

25. On defence, in addition to DiSimone, there’s Daniel Brickley of Minnesota State. (Every time I hear “Minnesota State” I think of Hayden Fox coaching them in the Pineapple Bowl.) Brinkley got hurt early in the year, but has 24 points in 22 games. He doesn’t have to come out, but teams will try to get him to do it.

Add: Kristofers Bindulis (a Latvian who plays at Lake Superior State); Josh Healey (Ohio State); Michael Kapla (Lowell).

Not a great year for goalies, but tortured scouts for some names. A couple suggested Cam Johnson of North Dakota, simply because that school tends to develop potential pros. Also: Brampton’s Hayden Lavigne (Michigan); Montreal’s Brett Magnus (Sacred Heart).

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Will Tyler Kelleher get sign before the end of his semester ? his hockey season is already over

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Will Tyler Kelleher get sign before the end of his semester ? his hockey season is already over

They still have the Hockey East Tournament: http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/tourney/index.php

2017 Hockey East Men's Tournament Friday - Sunday, March 3-5: Best-of-Three Opening Round

(#5 hosts #12, #6 hosts #11, #7 hosts #10, #8 hosts #9) Friday - Sunday, March 10-12: Best-of-Three Quarterfinal Round

(Schools #1 - #4 host four opening round winners, highest vs. lowest, etc.) Friday, March 17

Championship at TD Garden: Semifinal Games Saturday, March 18

UNH could be out by this time next week, but could also stick around for a couple weeks.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Looks like Caps closing in on Bindulis.

They had him in development camp IIRC. Interesting to see, Friedman reported that he is raw but certainly talanted.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Jake Bischoff and Doyle Somerby are NYI draft picks who may get lost in the shuffle.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Teams are going to be steadily eliminated in the coming weeks, so we'll start to hear some signings shortly.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Ferris State senior, Gerald Mayhew, must have signed an ATO contract with the Iowa Wild as he is now listed on the Wild roster.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Zach Aston-Reese is by far the most promising and sought-after NCAA UFA this year. Will have an immediately effect for the NHL, if not, the AHL.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
@LastWordArmy

I read your alphabetical college prospect lists (very well done I might add) but was just wondering if you guys had a ranking as to who the best guys were available this year

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
@LastWordArmy

I read your alphabetical college prospect lists (very well done I might add) but was just wondering if you guys had a ranking as to who the best guys were available this year

We hadn't done a ranking, but I'll guys who really stand out (not in order)

Three forwards are Aston-Reese, Vecchione, Sheehy
Pionk, Brickley, and Bayreuther at the back,
Gahegan as the best goalie

Ranking I'd probably go 1) Aston-Reese, 2) Vecchione 3) Pionk 4) Brickley overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln