Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Are you being fatalistic? Or is there some specific fact that makes you believe he won't sign in Nashville?

some people choose to believe this cause he was best buds with Vesey during their time there and that obviously means he thinks and acts just like him

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Vecchione signed with Philly. Hexy said they were looking at a couple guys, wonder who else?

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Vecchione signed with Philly. Hexy said they were looking at a couple guys, wonder who else?
They were apparently looking at Spencer Foo as well (Mike Vecchione's teammate). This is according to an insider who first indicated that they were courting Vecchione. Foo announced shortly after that he wouldn't be signing with anyone until the Summer, though.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Hello Rangers!!!
And it continues another kid want to be a free agent. Why do these organizations waste their time with college kids?

He's a 5th round pick that kinda sucks.

Sometimes that happens with CHL kids and Euro kids too. Not all draft picks are signed.

This sounds like the Isles don't want to use one of their 50 contract spots on a kid who didn't develop.

gramatanboy

Aug 2, 2005
Westport
Apparently Doyle Somerby is going to become a UFA in August. Kinda surprised to see that.

As an Islanders fan, I'm curious as to where you heard that Somerby wants to head to UFA in Mid August. Not disagreeing with you, just haven't heard that from what Somerby has said in the in the past about his relationship with the Isles.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
As an Islanders fan, I'm curious as to where you heard that Somerby wants to head to UFA in Mid August. Not disagreeing with you, just haven't heard that from what Somerby has said in the in the past about his relationship with the Isles.

I can never imbed tweets properly, but here;

"@JonathanSigal
Doyle Somerby, @TerrierHockey's captain, will wait until Aug. 15 to pursue his options, per source. He was drafted by NY Islanders in 2012."

Sigal ran the Boston Hockey Blog this year, which covers the BU men's hockey team for BU's student newspaper, so he's pretty credible. Also does a lot of writing for the New England Hockey Journal.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
He's a 5th round pick that kinda sucks.

Sometimes that happens with CHL kids and Euro kids too. Not all draft picks are signed.

This sounds like the Isles don't want to use one of their 50 contract spots on a kid who didn't develop.

I'll disagree with you here; sure, he had very little offensive output throughout his college career, but he was probably one of the most reliable D-men we had, and that's saying a lot.

Last edited:

pled

Sep 7, 2009
any chance Tanner Jaillet leave college for a nhl contract ?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hello Rangers!!!
And it continues another kid want to be a free agent. Why do these organizations waste their time with college kids?

Islanders drafted alot of defensemen since 2011 so I think it's a case for us we have to decide which to keep and which not to. Personally (assuming he was willing to sign) I would have taken a chance with Somerby because we don't have many guys with his size. That being said the Islanders did sign Jake Bischoff who they took in the same draft. it should be noted both Somerby and Bischoff were part of that 7 defenseman draft from 2012 that many people ragged all over the Islanders when they did it.

It should be noted the Islanders lost Robbie Russo a couple years ago because of this. Time will tell if they should have tried harder to sign him(they did sign Kyle Burroughs that year and I personally would have tried to sign Russo given the choice of both). In terms of other guys who got lost in the shuffle, we didn't sign Brendan Kitchon and hindsight says that isn't that huge a deal(it seems like he is getting progressively worse as each AHL season goes by). While we did sign Andrey Pedan he sort of got lost in the shuffle because we traded him because we really didn't have the room to fit him and the Canucks gave us a sweet deal(basically our 3rd round pick back). I still think Pedan can be a good #6 enforcer type defenseman although Canuck fans might better explain his progress.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sakic said the other day that when Butcher's season is over they will be offering him a contract.

Of course it's up to him to sign where he wants since he becomes a UFA August 15th. He's from Wisconsin, but did go to school in the Denver area and just won the Hobey Baker Trophy.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I am hoping 10 to 15 drafted kids go UFA and the league finally looks at this loophole. It was intended for undrafted players not drafted ones.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
any chance Tanner Jaillet leave college for a nhl contract ?

For sure

He turns 24 in the summer. So who ever signs him will only have to sign him to a 1 year ELC because of his age.

Its the perfect ELC because you get 1 year to look at him and if doesn't work out you let him walk after only 1 year on your books.

Similar to Michael Garteig for the canucks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->