Speculation: Top player targets for the 2024 NHL Trade Deadline

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Curious because I've been busy being too much of an adult. But as it looks this might the most boring trade deadline in years.
I disagree, Calgary has a lot of high end pieces and look cooked.

Centers like Lindholm aren’t available as rentals often, and he only makes 4.85m, so he can be ridiculously cheap with retention.

The pile-up in Metro makes things more complicated though, it’s unclear who will be a seller there outside of Columbus.

For example, Walker and Seeler are great trade bait for the Flyers but if they stay in a playoff spot who knows what happens there.

Reactions: Mike Jones

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sellers for sure:
SJ, Chi, Ana, Ott, CBS, Mon,

Matter of time:
Buf, Cal, Min, AZ

Bubble teams:
Sea, Det, Pitt, Wash, TB, etc. who are fighting it out in the East for the final WC spots. Likely to be too close to sell. I look at it as TB and Pitt are pot committed. Adding picks does nothing for 3-4 years at the earliest. Now are never for Pitt and TB, they weathered the storm without Vasi and need him to get back to form. Neither owns their own first rounder anyways.

Reactions: RogerRoger

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Sellers for sure:
SJ, Chi, Ana, Ott, CBS, Mon,

Matter of time:
Buf, Cal, Min, AZ

Bubble teams:
Sea, Det, Pitt, Wash, TB, etc. who are fighting it out in the East for the final WC spots. Likely to be too close to sell. I look at it as TB and Pitt are pot committed. Adding picks does nothing for 3-4 years at the earliest. Now are never for Pitt and TB, they weathered the storm without Vasi and need him to get back to form. Neither owns their own first rounder anyways.
I'd add the Flyers to that list. I can't see how ownership possibly thinks they can do anything in the playoffs. I keep waiting for the bottom to fall out of them, but doesn't look like it's happening. I wouldn't let the miracle work by Torts trick them into thinking they are contenders.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd add the Flyers to that list. I can't see how ownership possibly thinks they can do anything in the playoffs. I keep waiting for the bottom to fall out of them, but doesn't look like it's happening. I wouldn't let the miracle work by Torts trick them into thinking they are contenders.
I doubt Philly buys but if they can make the PO they will.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
If Tampa keeps sliding out of a playoff spot.... Might see a certain someone be available
He could probably pot a few playing with McDavid &/or Draisaitl... he would add some depth to our PP2 too! 😁

Even at 50%, he's probably out of the Oilers cap availability, unless Holland has some blackmail pics of the GMs with (a) cap space and (b) an appetite for an ECHL level goalie at $5m per (for a few more years). I realize it's obviously not the first position of need for the Oilers but it's fun to think of what a healthy Stamkos could do playing on the same line with 97 & 29... I mean Zach Hyman is on pace for 50. They could probably allow 5 and still outscore their opponents most nights. Dare to dream! Dare to dream!

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerRoger

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Calgary holds most the chips for this deadline. Could move 3 decent players. Tanev, Lindholm and Hanifin.

Losing back-to-back games this weekend likely open up odds of that happening

Bond

May 10, 2012
Flames will need to start trading some of their UFAs. My guess is they start with Hanifin, then Lindholm, and hope someone gets desperate at the deadline and overpays for Tanev

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I disagree, Calgary has a lot of high end pieces and look cooked.
They have 7 pending UFAs and should be able to trade them all. They also have an extra goalie (Darth Vladar) who could get a pick.

Calgary holds most the chips for this deadline. Could move 3 decent players. Tanev, Lindholm and Hanifin.

Losing back-to-back games this weekend likely open up odds of that happening
Calgary has the opportunity to make a large haul for sure.

Which means they'll sign all seven UFAs to 8 year extensions.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

The Flyers are 4-3-3 in their last 10, but a better indicator of their play falling off is that they only have 5 regulation wins in their last 20 games. The bottom is falling out. They were simply outworking teams early in the season, but the rest of the league is getting up to speed now so they can't just Torts their way into consistent wins anymore. The lack of depth is starting to catch up to them.

Briere also publicly stated a few weeks ago that this is still a rebuild. I think they will be Sellers. Nowhere major, but I think we see Nick Seeler, Sean Walker, and possibly Scott Laughton traded.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Curious because I've been busy being too much of an adult. But as it looks this might the most boring trade deadline in years.
Completley disagree...

I don't think we've seen as many good players possibly available, and from just one team, as we likely will from Calgary...

They could move
Lindholm
Markstrom
Hanifin
Tanev

That's impressive and could set the rebuild up so well

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
Blues:

Krug
Scandella
Kappy
Vrana, only if he goes on a terror
Sundquist
Blais

Still think there is an outside chance we see Binnington and Buchnecich dealt. Then we talk decent return.

Nor a whole lot, bot could net us some 2nd, 3rd or 4th’s.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Completley disagree...

I don't think we've seen as many good players possibly available, and from just one team, as we likely will from Calgary...

They could move
Lindholm
Markstrom
Hanifin
Tanev

That's impressive and could set the rebuild up so well
I can't see the Flames moving Markstrom. Vladar is probably more likely. Flames ownership refuses to rebuild (he doesn't prioritize winning the cup over income, and is afraid that losing might mean fewer sales), so their starting goalie is likely not on the move, even if they feel they have the future knocking on the door. I'm curious if they re-sign any UFA's. I'm sure the direction to Conroy is to try to re-sign but I'm interested to see what happens if he can't.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I can't wait to see what is decided for Guentzel. Would suck to lose Jake but the return could be huge for the Pens going forward.
Pittsburgh won't sell this year; they'll make a push.
2 points out of the playoffs with an aging superstar roster and positive goal differential.
More likely they re-sign Guentzel anyway.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Pittsburgh won't sell this year; they'll make a push.
2 points out of the playoffs with an aging superstar roster and positive goal differential.
A push for what? 10th in the East... there is no point, it's was obvious already 2 years ago, this team cannot compete anymore on a full season, blow it up already

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Okposo, Girgensons, Olofsson, Johnson will be available from Buffalo for sure.

A push for what? 10th in the East... there is no point, it's was obvious already 2 years ago, this team cannot compete anymore on a full season, blow it up already
Doesn't matter, they won't sell.

Reactions: Homesick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad