Top Goalie Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
He's not on my coast...AHL is like in football and baseball, they don't all play each other. I see mostly east coast. I talked to some other guys on this form and they're basicaly calling eddie belfour comparisons so that sounds good. I think i'd like to see more consistency and how he does in the playoffs.

Isn't Lowell in the East? or is my geography worse than I thought?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
bruins4777 said:
Interesting. I like auld too, but i feel like his ceiling isn't very high. He should be on my list though.

Dubielewicz had one great season in the AHL and has been horrid this season.

Leighton is good, but too high compared to other people.

Dannis is having outstanding season on a HORRID hamilton season.

Bruckler?

I think different than you. I feel Auld has great potential and he shows us Canuck fans every night we see him play.

Edit- Krahn is being very underrated here.

bruins4777*

looooob said:
Isn't Lowell in the East? or is my geography worse than I thought?
Its in the east, but they just haven't journeyed here yet, thats what i mean. The conferences and divisions are f'd up in the AHL.

"I think different than you. I feel Auld has great potential and he shows us Canuck fans every night we see him play."

I'm somewhat of a nucks fan and i've seen him play a good deal, but he just doesn't have the speed and reflexes that other top prospects do. He will go far and be a great no.1 goalie due to outstanding poise and positioning, but i don't think he'll ever be a franchiser or a guy with the talent of the likes of lehtonen, toivenen, fleury, niitymaki, miller, etc.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
bruins4777 said:
Its in the east, but they just haven't journeyed here yet, thats what i mean. The conferences and divisions are f'd up in the AHL.

"I think different than you. I feel Auld has great potential and he shows us Canuck fans every night we see him play."

I'm somewhat of a nucks fan and i've seen him play a good deal, but he just doesn't have the speed and reflexes that other top prospects do. He will go far and be a great no.1 goalie due to outstanding poise and positioning, but i don't think he'll ever be a franchiser or a guy with the talent of the likes of lehtonen, toivenen, fleury, niitymaki, miller, etc.

He has really improved almost every aspect of his game this year and he's showing it in the Spengler Cup this year. For what he lacks he brings in confidence(The kid so far has yet to get rattled after allowing a goal). His reflexes are turning out to be pretty good for a goalie of his size, and because he's so tall he can go into the butterfly and be very effective. What makes Miller so much better than Auld? I'm not sure and I'm willing to bet that Auld will have a better NHL career than Miller.

dw2927

Feb 13, 2004
Paavola, Mich.
bruins4777 said:
Interesting. I like auld too, but i feel like his ceiling isn't very high. He should be on my list though.

Dubielewicz had one great season in the AHL and has been horrid this season.

Leighton is good, but too high compared to other people.

Dannis is having outstanding season on a HORRID hamilton season.

Bruckler?

My last trip to the ahl website (today) showed D-Wicz with a better GAA and Sv % than Danis...Granted Hamilton may be worse than Bridgeport, but his season has hardly been horrid for him with a .91 Sv %.

I think Leighton is a wild card and his stats are tough to judge because of the teams he has been on.

Bernd Brueckler is the goalie for the Univ. of Wisconsin.

--As far the WHL's ability to crank out high end keepers, it seems to be a pattern, not one that Ward and Harding should be judged by, but a goalie posting comperable stats out of the Q will always get more attention, right or wrong...

I really have not done any extensive research, but the Q, Euro-systems, the NCAA and the OHL, each have arguably been more sucessful at producing top end goalies. Perhaps that perception alone has hurt guys like Ward and Harding..

If I had to do a country by country review of these prospects, Canada and Finland would look to be the leaders. The USA will probably be fine, but Sweden really looks like it may be hurting in the future. There's not much beyond Lundqvist, save Liv, to fall back on.

bruins4777*

Russian_fanatic said:
He has really improved almost every aspect of his game this year and he's showing it in the Spengler Cup this year. For what he lacks he brings in confidence(The kid so far has yet to get rattled after allowing a goal). His reflexes are turning out to be pretty good for a goalie of his size, and because he's so tall he can go into the butterfly and be very effective. What makes Miller so much better than Auld? I'm not sure and I'm willing to bet that Auld will have a better NHL career than Miller.
I know he's improving, but compared to some of the other guy's on the list he's not as good. As for miller, look what miller's done and look what Auld's done. Don't get me wrong i'm a big auld fan and as soon as clouts went down I was saying screw the "swedish sieve" and go with auld!!!! But I just want to see more from Auld. I just don't feel like his celing is all that high. If you want my honest assesement on Auld its this.
Potential: No.1 Goalkeeper. He will never dominate a game with pure skill and he will never be confused talent wise with the likes of lehtonen, fleury, toivenen, or even lesser prospects like miller. However when playoff time comes he'll be a great goaltender. Marty Brodeur may not have the talent of luongo or others, but he gets ahead because of presicion reflexes, perfect positioning, and the most poise in the NHL. Brodeur dominates games and playoff series mentaly, thats what Auld will do.
In short, he'll be the type who is somewhat noticable in the regular season, but will never win a vezina or being incredibly noteworthy. However once the postseason kicks in whatever team he's on they know they got a guy who won't break down and a guy who will step his game up.

I like Auld a lot, and he'll do great in vancouver. A city where goalies are always under fire, he'll always keep his cool and be a stalwart for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

bruins4777*

dw2927 said:
My last trip to the ahl website (today) showed D-Wicz with a better GAA and Sv % than Danis...Granted Hamilton may be worse than Bridgeport, but his season has hardly been horrid for him with a .91 Sv %.

I think Leighton is a wild card and his stats are tough to judge because of the teams he has been on.

Bernd Brueckler is the goalie for the Univ. of Wisconsin.

--As far the WHL's ability to crank out high end keepers, it seems to be a pattern, not one that Ward and Harding should be judged by, but a goalie posting comperable stats out of the Q will always get more attention, right or wrong...

I really have not done any extensive research, but the Q, Euro-systems, the NCAA and the OHL, each have arguably been more sucessful at producing top end goalies. Perhaps that perception alone has hurt guys like Ward and Harding..

If I had to do a country by country review of these prospects, Canada and Finland would look to be the leaders. The USA will probably be fine, but Sweden really looks like it may be hurting in the future. There's not much beyond Lundqvist, save Liv, to fall back on.
I'm not a big fan of stats honestly, but for the sake of comparison
Danis-92.5 save % 2.22 gaa
Dubielewicz- 91.5 save% 2.42 gaa
Factor in dubielewicz's height of 5'10 to Dannis's height of 6 foot. And Dannis gains another edge.
Danis has a winning record on one of the crappiest teams in the AHL.

I've been a fan of leights since his call up to chi-town last year. He's a nice goalie, I think he'll be a quality 1b or 1a goalie in the future.

A big reason Q goalies get more attention, is because of the style of play. Q is more geared towards run and gun, the "dub" is more defense oriented. I tend to like the Dub more. Just because towards history their goalies haven't been great doesn't mean anything, they're showing people now they have great tenders. We'll see.

However i do agree canada and finland would lead by a far amount. I'm a huge finland fan. I love their goalies. If you didn't notice my top 2 tenders are both finnish. I think finland cranks out some of the most interesting goalies and fun to watch ones. Canada just cranks out boring butterfly guys. Finland cranks out butterfly-fusion guys, i like them better. I think in the future finland will surpass canada as the "goalie factory". I'm a big fan of czech netminders as well with vokoun and cechmanek, however i hate hasek grrr.

dw2927

Feb 13, 2004
Paavola, Mich.
bruins4777 said:
I'm not a big fan of stats honestly, but for the sake of comparison
Danis-92.5 save % 2.22 gaa
Dubielewicz- 91.5 save% 2.42 gaa
Factor in dubielewicz's height of 5'10 to Dannis's height of 6 foot. And Dannis gains another edge.
Danis has a winning record on one of the crappiest teams in the AHL.

I've been a fan of leights since his call up to chi-town last year. He's a nice goalie, I think he'll be a quality 1b or 1a goalie in the future.

A big reason Q goalies get more attention, is because of the style of play. Q is more geared towards run and gun, the "dub" is more defense oriented. I tend to like the Dub more. Just because towards history their goalies haven't been great doesn't mean anything, they're showing people now they have great tenders. We'll see.

However i do agree canada and finland would lead by a far amount. I'm a huge finland fan. I love their goalies. If you didn't notice my top 2 tenders are both finnish. I think finland cranks out some of the most interesting goalies and fun to watch ones. Canada just cranks out boring butterfly guys. Finland cranks out butterfly-fusion guys, i like them better. I think in the future finland will surpass canada as the "goalie factory". I'm a big fan of czech netminders as well with vokoun and cechmanek, however i hate hasek grrr.

I think that recently the major juniors have tended to lose those old traditional offensive vs. defensive stereotypes, maybe that will help to break down the perceptions out there

I also despise Hasek..I've never thought he had a coherant style..Its hard to argue with his accomplishments, but at the very least he is a poor role model for actual goalies to follow. As a goalie myself, I know it is damn near impossible to pull off the things he can...So many guys want to be like him and they don't realize that what he does is so oddball and hard to replicate, that if a more average athletic type tries it, they will look like a floundering seal in the crease. Plus, I hold it as a cardinal rule to hold onto your stick at all times, as it is your best weapon. When Hasek would drop his stick to grab a puck with his blocker hand, it would just befuddle me.

Vokoun and Cechmanek are more conventional obviously and will be the backbone for the Czechs for years to come..

The Finns are set for some time, with Kipper and Toskala for the
present and Toivonen, Niittymaki and Lehtonen coming up. Its amazing that even if guys like Noronen and Ahonen turn out to be busts that Suomi still is stacked

Slovakia has Budaj and Halak coming up for them. Even Stana is still looking to work his way up. I hope Lasak comes back to the NHL

Russia is sort of a mystery with Bryzgalov a sure thing, but not much beyond that..It hurts to lose Nabokov for IIHF events. It seems like all of the recent Russian WJC keepers have been sort of no-namers.

Montoya's recent gaffes notwithstanding, him Jimmy Howard and Ryan Miller will be the American backbone for the future.

I wonder if the current rise of the Finnish fusion goalies means the end of the the "butterfly revolution" that really swept hockey a few years back. Brodeur has made a hybrid style work, I wonder if a neo-standup style will take over soon. As more of an old schooler myself, I hope so..

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm definately not a Flyers fan, but you people better watch out for Bernd Brueckler in a few years. He'll be a top 10 goaltending prospect. He's not at that level now due to lack of exposure, but anyone who has seen him has come away damn impressed.

Here's my list:

1. Lehtonen
2a. Fleury
2b. Toivonen
4a. Bryzgalov
4b. Lundquivist
6. Emery
7. Niitymaki
8. Lenevu
9. Miller
10. Montoya
11. Schwarz
12. Ahonen
13. Leclaire
14. Brueckler
15. Oulett

Sum

Nov 16, 2003
St Etienne, France
Visit site
1. Lehtonen
2a. Fleury
2b. Toivonen
4a. Bryzgalov
4b. Lundquivist
6. Emery
7. Niitymaki
8. Lenevu
9. Miller
10. Montoya
11. Schwarz
12. Ahonen
13. Leclaire
14. Brueckler
15. Oulett

I like this list. I'd just interfere Montoya with Ahonen. I didn't see Brueckler play though, so I can't tell about him, and I'd put Ouellet higher, but otherwise it's a solid list IMO.

bruins4777*

dw2927 said:
I think that recently the major juniors have tended to lose those old traditional offensive vs. defensive stereotypes, maybe that will help to break down the perceptions out there

I also despise Hasek..I've never thought he had a coherant style..Its hard to argue with his accomplishments, but at the very least he is a poor role model for actual goalies to follow. As a goalie myself, I know it is damn near impossible to pull off the things he can...So many guys want to be like him and they don't realize that what he does is so oddball and hard to replicate, that if a more average athletic type tries it, they will look like a floundering seal in the crease. Plus, I hold it as a cardinal rule to hold onto your stick at all times, as it is your best weapon. When Hasek would drop his stick to grab a puck with his blocker hand, it would just befuddle me.

Vokoun and Cechmanek are more conventional obviously and will be the backbone for the Czechs for years to come..

The Finns are set for some time, with Kipper and Toskala for the
present and Toivonen, Niittymaki and Lehtonen coming up. Its amazing that even if guys like Noronen and Ahonen turn out to be busts that Suomi still is stacked

Slovakia has Budaj and Halak coming up for them. Even Stana is still looking to work his way up. I hope Lasak comes back to the NHL

Russia is sort of a mystery with Bryzgalov a sure thing, but not much beyond that..It hurts to lose Nabokov for IIHF events. It seems like all of the recent Russian WJC keepers have been sort of no-namers.

Montoya's recent gaffes notwithstanding, him Jimmy Howard and Ryan Miller will be the American backbone for the future.

I wonder if the current rise of the Finnish fusion goalies means the end of the the "butterfly revolution" that really swept hockey a few years back. Brodeur has made a hybrid style work, I wonder if a neo-standup style will take over soon. As more of an old schooler myself, I hope so..

I mostly despite hasek as a person, and i've tried to mock his style....not succesfully. I'm flexible and quick reflex wise, but hasek is just...hard to explain. Personally i'm quite alone in this opinion, but i think if you REALLY sit down and think about what i'm about to say you might agree with me.

As unconvential, random flopping, and stupid hasek looks in net. He is, to me, one of the most techinical goalies around. Roy was techinical because he responded to situations in certain ways, so did hasek. He reacted to them differently. The way he played his reflexes were SO fast he would purposesly look stupid and make it seem like you had the whole net, but then rob you. The way he dropped into the snow angel was very techinical. He knew exactly how and when to use it. The way he came out and challenged and flopped into certain random positions, weren't random at all, he fit certain moves for certain situations. I mean think about it, while he may look like he's random, its not random at all, its just HIS OWN way of doing things, just like standups stand up and butterfly guys butterfly he flops in his own SPECIAL way. Its hard to mock, because it requires perfect timing, reflexes, and "special" positioning. I've seen a lot of hasek games so this is the way i think about it....just my personal opinion.

Regardless though, my distaste for him is only matched by my distaste for montoya.

Cechmanek is wonderful. He's inconsistent, stupid looking, but i mean he's so fun to watch and i just can't stop laughing when watching him. He's great. I'm a big cechmanek fan. I saw every flyers game he ever played.

Vokoun is one of my fav goalies as well. Vokoun is probably the most techinical czech netminder. I modeled parts of my standup style after him. I play a standup/tretiak/vokoun/richter/brodeur mix...yeah lots of fusions, but it works at times...

As for the finns, this is quite interesting. Lehtonen beat out toskala for the backup job. It was obvious kipprusoft was given the starting job no matter what, but the backup job was up for grabs and lehtonen won it OVER a pretty accomplished toskala.That speaks volumes about lehtonen. The finns are going to be deadly net wise.

I'm a big budaj fan, i see him play a lot. He's kinda boring to watch cause he's all traditional butterfly and such, but i really like him and his demeanor. He is one HELL of a breakaway goalie. The bears suck as a team, but in terms of shootouts they usually win because of a strong offense and a GREAT shootout goalie in budaj. Budaj's lateral movement is sick.

Russian goalies are so fun to watch. They're all unconventional. Czechs are more unconvential in the sense of interesting flopping ways, but russians don't neccesarily dive as much as they just reflex. Its quite fun to watch, stupid NHL doesn't trust them grrrr. Meh, brzygalov is still quite good. He has the potential to be an all-star. I think khubobin or however you spell it has a solid chance of making it as weird as his style is...

American's future, to me, lies in their defense. Their goaltending will be good, but i think suter and stuart are going to be the guys who mold the U.S. defense and give it the name as tough hardworking gritty hard hitters...

God i hope the butterfly revolution is over. Butterfly goalies bore the hell out of me. I'm a big fan of standup, and if more guys start to adopt what brodeur's done god that would be amazing. I like butterfly fusions, but pure butterflys like giguere bore the hell out of me. The only reason i'm a big luongo fan is because of how much luongo stacks the pads and how many shots he faces and how he stops them. Raycroft can be boring....but he's the first competent and great netminder we've had in boston for a while so i'm inclined to like him. Plus my respect for raycroft is through the roof with the amount of padding razor wears. I sometimes doubt razor is wearing any chest padding at all. Outside of that though, raycroft's mastery of paddle down and full leg extensions are what draw me to him most. I'm a big fan of paddledown goalies and i use the techinque myself a large amount, so when i see a goalie like brodeur and raycroft who use it as smoothly as they do i automaticallly love them...

ok big rant, but i think you get the picture. A standup revolution or even hybrid is WELL welcomed by me.

bruins4777*

tallpenguin said:
No love for Andy Chiodo?

ha interesting....I saw chiodo in the AHL and NHL. I'm a chiodo fan, but personally he just has to show me more. I don't know how he'll fair in the pitts, but I dunno, i've only seen him like 5 times. I've come away impressed 3 or 4 times. He's impressed me reflex wise, but he seems kinda bleh like techinical at times and he can have random brain lapses, however his speed is something quite nice. He made this beautiful save once. I forget exactly how the play occured but a guy shot it and he dropped into the butterfly and one guy got a rebound and was at the side of the net and tried to shove it, but chiodo reached back and denied him big time with the glove it was beautiful. I jumped out of my seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce