Top Goalie Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch Mediocrity

May 8, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
www.4thegame.com
dw2927 said:
I'm high on Emery because he will get a chance earlier than many others on this list. Ottawa will not have Hasek for too long, and if they can't match the fire of other teams up front, Emery will do just fine from the crease. He seems like the next Ron Hextall.

Yeah, a bigger, more atheltic Hextall seems to be his ceiling. He's still too aggressive though. If he's like that in the AHL just imagine what NHL super pests could do.....

bruins4777*

dw2927 said:
I'd switch things around a little, or maybe alot...Oulette and LeNeveu are a little high here IMO. Ahonen hasn't been consistent since his arrival in Albany, Schwarz seems a little overrated and Danis needs stats from something other than the ECACHL to really show his worth.

I put in Auld because of his size and remarkable coolness in his playoff appearance (although i'm not totally sure he can be still considered a prospect),
Leighton is a bit of a dark horse here, as because he toils in semi-obscurity in Chicago, his stats aren't too gaudy.
Dubielewicz has been stellar for Bridgeport after a great college career at Denver.
Howard will be better than Montoya (this hurts coming from a UM grad) and may well be the USA's next Richter.
Bruckler has great numbers and its tough to leave out the heir apparent to the UWisconsin pipeline.

I'm high on Emery because he will get a chance earlier than many others on this list. Ottawa will not have Hasek for too long, and if they can't match the fire of other teams up front, Emery will do just fine from the crease. He seems like the next Ron Hextall.

1) Lehtonen
2) Fleury
3) Toivonen
4) Niittymaki
5) Bryzgalov
6) Auld
7) Emery
8) Lundqvist
9) Leighton
10)Dubielewicz
11)Leclaire
12)Miller
13)Howard
14)Montoya
15)Bruckler

Interesting. I like auld too, but i feel like his ceiling isn't very high. He should be on my list though.

Dubielewicz had one great season in the AHL and has been horrid this season.

Leighton is good, but too high compared to other people.

Dannis is having outstanding season on a HORRID hamilton season.

Bruckler?

bruins4777*

As for emery being the next hextall? No i don't think so. He'll be a great gritty butterfly, but what made hextall special was his puckhandling. Emery isn't anything like that. Emery will be a cloutier, without the mental and playoff troubles.

Clutch Mediocrity

May 8, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
www.4thegame.com
dw2927 said:

Yeah, more atheltic Hextall seems to be his ceiling. He's still too aggressive though. Intensity is what makes him so successful but he's gotta stop the constant fighting. If he's like that in the AHL just imagine what NHL super pests could do.....

My List:

1. Lehtonen
2. Fleury
3. Toivenen
4. Bryzgalov (underrated IMO)
5. Emery (probably bias)
6. Niittymaki
7. Leclaire
8. Lundquivist
9. Oulett
10. Miller
11. Ahonen
12. Lenevu
13. Schwarz
14. Montoya
15. Ward

bruins4777*

^I think emery will calm down. I mean clouts went through a similar thing where he literally fought everybody. So i think Emery can do the same.

Anyways, nice list...similar to mine...

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Harding should be in the top 15. Most people say the best goalies come out of the QMJHL, and I'll agree. But Harding has seen as many or even more shots per season as JDD, who is always ranked ahead of him. Harding also has taken over (or did) the top slot for Houston, while JDD is a backup. That boggles the mind. Harding will be a fan favorite for sure, not a huge star in the NHL but I like that he goes under the radar now because he'll surprise people. He has seen success every place he has gone (not material success but playing success) and should slide right into the NHL well.

bruins4777*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
Harding should be in the top 15. Most people say the best goalies come out of the QMJHL, and I'll agree. But Harding has seen as many or even more shots per season as JDD, who is always ranked ahead of him. Harding also has taken over (or did) the top slot for Houston, while JDD is a backup. That boggles the mind. Harding will be a fan favorite for sure, not a huge star in the NHL but I like that he goes under the radar now because he'll surprise people. He has seen success every place he has gone (not material success but playing success) and should slide right into the NHL well.

Harding is rated behind JDD to me, because he doesn't seem as talented, also he plays on a team where he was the only real legitamte goalie. JDD played behind vet AHL goalie tyler moss. However, you are correct in that Harding's season has been better than JDD. We'll see down the road.

I don't really care where the goalie comes from, but I think JDD's talent is whats putting him over harding in most people's books. Also add in harding's recent injury, which raises a big question mark.

dw2927

Feb 13, 2004
Paavola, Mich.
I think that Harding and Ward will be good, but there seems to be something about WHL goalies...or maybe something about the WHL. It seems like the league just does not produce star goalies...

that is not to say that solid NHL guys don't come out of the WHL, it just seems that some of the talent that would've gone to the WHL went the US college route (Belfour)..

When I think of WHL grads in the NHL I guess guys like Osgood and Kidd come to mind..obviously starters and pretty good at times, but never really stars..not that Ward or Harding can be judged by the production of past WHL goalies either..

--The earlier point about Emery is well taken...after his first encounter with Mr. Ville Nieminen, one or both of them may be in jail :)
It just seems like there has been some recent hand-wringing about toughness and grit in Ottawa, espcially vis-a-vis the Leafs and having a guy like Emery, if he stays reasonably sane, would give the team some attitude...plus he would seem to have an unobstructed path to the top job if he wants it.

So much of what a prospect can become is judged by who is in front of him... Guys like Bryzgalov and Ahonen can attest to that. I guess it could be said that cream does rise to the top, but if you can't get a trade, you might never get that break.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
sjb3599 said:
Happens when you dominate the best league in Europe and, arguably, the world.

:lol

Ok, now, serious. I'd say Russia is stronger, but it's a matter of opinion.
To me it looks more like my fellow Finn Fredrik Norrena is dominating the league. Considering he's on top of both GAA and SVS% lists. My other fellow Finn Miikka Kiprusoff doesn't seem to be that far behind either.

1. Fredrik Norrena GP 32, GAA 1.83, SVS% 93.39, 3 SO

2. Henrik Lundqvist GP 29, GAA 1.91, SVS% 93.03, 4 SO

3. Miikka Kiprusoff GP 29, GAA 2.00, SVS% 91.84, 3 SO

Lundqvist is doing very well for himself, but lets face it, it's not like he's doing something absolutely mindblowing.

bruins4777*

Diaboli said:
:lol

Ok, now, serious. I'd say Russia is stronger, but it's a matter of opinion.
To me it looks more like my fellow Finn Fredrik Norrena is dominating the league. Considering he's on top of both GAA and SVS% lists. My other fellow Finn Miikka Kiprusoff doesn't seem to be that far behind either.

1. Fredrik Norrena GP 32, GAA 1.83, SVS% 93.39, 3 SO

2. Henrik Lundqvist GP 29, GAA 1.91, SVS% 93.03, 4 SO

3. Miikka Kiprusoff GP 29, GAA 2.00, SVS% 91.84, 3 SO

Lundqvist is doing very well for himself, but lets face it, it's not like he's doing something absolutely mindblowing.

So his previous years when he was the best goalie in the swedish league is nothing? Come on now.

bruins4777*

dw2927 said:
I think that Harding and Ward will be good, but there seems to be something about WHL goalies...or maybe something about the WHL. It seems like the league just does not produce star goalies...

that is not to say that solid NHL guys don't come out of the WHL, it just seems that some of the talent that would've gone to the WHL went the US college route (Belfour)..

When I think of WHL grads in the NHL I guess guys like Osgood and Kidd come to mind..obviously starters and pretty good at times, but never really stars..not that Ward or Harding can be judged by the production of past WHL goalies either..

--The earlier point about Emery is well taken...after his first encounter with Mr. Ville Nieminen, one or both of them may be in jail :)
It just seems like there has been some recent hand-wringing about toughness and grit in Ottawa, espcially vis-a-vis the Leafs and having a guy like Emery, if he stays reasonably sane, would give the team some attitude...plus he would seem to have an unobstructed path to the top job if he wants it.

So much of what a prospect can become is judged by who is in front of him... Guys like Bryzgalov and Ahonen can attest to that. I guess it could be said that cream does rise to the top, but if you can't get a trade, you might never get that break.

Personally I think your weighing WAY TOO MUCH on where the goalies are coming from.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
I feel sorry for Ari Ahonen

Here was his defense last game:

Phil Cole
Steve Spencer
Ray Shultze (sp)
Alex Brooks
Krisjanis Redlihs

Luckily, the real Rats defense should be on the way back soon. Hale, Allen, Kesa, and DeMarchi should be back in a few weeks. Then we'll see what Ahonen can do.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
bruins4777 said:
So his previous years when he was the best goalie in the swedish league is nothing? Come on now.

I didn't say that now did I?

But in all fairness, Norrena was the best goalie in the league last year too. In fairness to Lundqvist I also have to say, that in 2002-2003 he totally owned the league, so it's not like I'm putting him down. I myself see Lundqvist closer to #7 than #4, but it's all a matter of opinion.

The smiley was justified though IMO, you did point at it mostly, right?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
isn't norrena like 10 years older than lundqvist?

i remember looking at the goalie stats for the SEL last year and lundqvist was second in the league behind some guy in his 30's, was that norrena? i don't remember the name

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Levitate said:
isn't norrena like 10 years older than lundqvist?

i remember looking at the goalie stats for the SEL last year and lundqvist was second in the league behind some guy in his 30's, was that norrena? i don't remember the name

Correct.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
bruins4777 said:
Interesting. I like auld too, but i feel like his ceiling isn't very high. He should be on my list though.

Dubielewicz had one great season in the AHL and has been horrid this season.

Leighton is good, but too high compared to other people.

Dannis is having outstanding season on a HORRID hamilton season.

Bruckler?

Love the list. And it is a great post - because you have done more then look at stats.... It is good to hear from people who see the players play the game and can comment from 1st hand experience.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
bruins4777 said:
This is my list.
1. Kari Lehtonen
2. Hannu Toivenen
3. Marc-Andre Fleury
4. Pascal Leclaire
5. Maxim Oulett
6. Anterro Niitymaki
7. Henrik Lundquivist
8. David Lenevu
9. Ray Emery
10. Ilya Bryzgalov
11. Ari Ahonen
12. Ryan Miller
13. Marek Schwarz
14. Al Montoya
15. Yann Danis, Cam Ward, Alex Auld

As you can tell I like AHL goalies and i've seen a lot of AHL action.

As you'll note i don't like Montoya.

4-10 are interchangable. Each could arguably be on top, but personally i'd take bryzgalov and emery as the highest.
for 4-10, as personal preference
4. bryzgalov
5. emery
6. lundquivist
7. niitymaki
8. leclaire
9. lenevu
10. oulett
Although, like i said, they are interchangable.

Maxime Ouellet over Niittymaki? your kidding right? Ouellet is no longer a top prospect. his stock in my view has dropped dramiticly. he used to be able to carry teams on his back. now hes getting lit up on a nightly basis in the AHL.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
ClarkeMustGoDotCom said:
Maxime Ouellet over Niittymaki? your kidding right? Ouellet is no longer a top prospect. his stock in my view has dropped dramiticly. he used to be able to carry teams on his back. now hes getting lit up on a nightly basis in the AHL.
I put Ouellet only behind Fleury and Lehtonen, personally.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
l
l​
<----------------------------------------

Hasn't been brought up in this thread (can't say I'm surprised), but he absolutely deserves at least a mention. So underrated and unknown it's not even funny.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Actually that's incorrect. If Minnesota didn't think Harding was good enough, they would have brought in another goaltender or they might have let Smith try to play it out. They have a ton of confidence with Harding, which shows. They also are a pretty young team that runs hot or cold.

I usually don't like saying who is better, because we really don't know. Scouts are paid to watch these guys and coaches are paid to see how they develop. For some reason, the WJC coach for Canada, liked Harding over JDD.

I also don't mind that people think Harding isn't a top 15 goaltender. He'll be the steady tender between the pipes for a while for Minnesota.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
Edited list.
This is my list.
1. Kari Lehtonen
2. Hannu Toivenen
3. Marc-Andre Fleury
4. Pascal Leclaire
5. Maxim Oulett
6. Anterro Niitymaki
7. Henrik Lundquivist
8. David Lenevu
9. Ray Emery
10. Ilya Bryzgalov
11. Ari Ahonen
12. Ryan Miller
13. Marek Schwarz
14. Al Montoya
15. Yann Danis, Cam Ward

As you can tell I like AHL goalies and i've seen a lot of AHL action.

As you'll note i don't like Montoya.

4-10 are interchangable. Each could arguably be on top, but personally i'd take bryzgalov and emery as the highest.
for 4-10, as personal preference
4. bryzgalov
5. emery
6. lundquivist
7. niitymaki
8. leclaire
9. lenevu
10. oulett
Although, like i said, they are interchangable.

seeing as you follow the AHL, what is your take on Krahn? has he re-established himself as a legit prospect? (I'm not saying he deserves to be on your list, moreso just wondering where you would slot him)

bruins4777*

looooob said:
seeing as you follow the AHL, what is your take on Krahn? has he re-established himself as a legit prospect? (I'm not saying he deserves to be on your list, moreso just wondering where you would slot him)

He's not on my coast...AHL is like in football and baseball, they don't all play each other. I see mostly east coast. I talked to some other guys on this form and they're basicaly calling eddie belfour comparisons so that sounds good. I think i'd like to see more consistency and how he does in the playoffs.

bruins4777*

ClarkeMustGoDotCom said:
Maybe if you read more. You would have seen that i said 4-10 are interchangeable. However oulett no longer a top prospect? Come on now. Niity is great, but oulett is long established in the AHL he has never been given a jump to the NHL because of iron man olaf kolzig, a incredible goalie who won't go anywhere unless traded for at least 5 more years.

"rethink ur list... danis is better then half these guys..."

Dannis had a great college career and is playing great for ONE SEASON in the AHL. If he shows me more and keeps up this type of play for a while I'll believe what you say.

"Hasn't been brought up in this thread (can't say I'm surprised), but he absolutely deserves at least a mention. So underrated and unknown it's not even funny."

Just wondering, but who is that?

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Vicious Vic said:
l
l​
<----------------------------------------

Hasn't been brought up in this thread (can't say I'm surprised), but he absolutely deserves at least a mention. So underrated and unknown it's not even funny.

Why? Been talking to Handsome B. Wonderful on the other thread a bit about him. Why does he even deserve a mention? He hasn't really done a lot in mens league...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->