8. David Lenevu
9. Ray Emery
10. Ilya Bryzgalov
11. Ari Ahonen
12. Ryan Miller
13. Marek Schwarz
14. Al Montoya
15. Yann Danis, Cam Ward, Alex Auld

As you can tell I like AHL goalies and i've seen a lot of AHL action.

As you'll note i don't like Montoya.

4-10 are interchangable. Each could arguably be on top, but personally i'd take bryzgalov and emery as the highest.
for 4-10, as personal preference
4. bryzgalov
5. emery
6. lundquivist
7. niitymaki
8. leclaire
9. lenevu
10. oulett
Although, like i said, they are interchangable.

Last edited by a moderator:

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
bruins4777 said:
This is my list.
1. Kari Lehtonen
2. Marc-Andre Fleury
3. Hannu Toivenen
4. Pascal Leclaire
5. Maxim Oulett
6. Anterro Niitymaki
7. Henrik Lundquivist
8. David Lenevu
9. Ray Emery
10. Ari Ahonen
11. Ryan Miller
12. Ilya Bryzgalov
13. Marek Schwarz
14. Al Montoya
15. Yann Danis

Lundqvist should be 4th.

bruins4777*

Man.Utd said:
Good list. I may be a bias Sens fan but I'd take Emery over David Lenevu and if his recently amazing form is a sign he's taken that next step than over Henrik Lundquivist (I find him very overrated) and maybe Niitymaki aswell.

Honestly nos. 4-9 can pretty much be alternated. I like them all the same. Out of all of them Emery is my favorite, but it will be interesting to see how his anger develops. All have all-star potential, but each has a question lingering over their head.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not long ago you stated that you felt Toivonen was better than Fleury. What's changed?

bruins4777*

Jacobv2 said:
Not long ago you stated that you felt Toivonen was better than Fleury. What's changed?

I'd take toivonen over fleury everyday...so i don't know why i wrote fleury higher than toivenen.....let me edit that

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You hate Fleury because of Penguins fans as I recall, isn't that right?

I'll quote you:
First time i started disliking him was when pens fans went mouthing off that fleury was the best goalie in the league other than brodeur.

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
bruins4777 said:
This is my list.
1. Kari Lehtonen
2. Marc-Andre Fleury
3. Hannu Toivenen
4. Pascal Leclaire
5. Maxim Oulett
6. Anterro Niitymaki
7. Henrik Lundquivist
8. David Lenevu
9. Ray Emery
10. Ari Ahonen
11. Ryan Miller
12. Ilya Bryzgalov
13. Marek Schwarz
14. Al Montoya
15. Yann Danis

Don't like Montoya? Really? I couldn't tell . . . ;)

But honestly, I'm tired of arguing about Montoya vs. Schwarz. It's silly and I've said my piece here and on Bird's boards many times over.

I will however ask why you are such a huge fan of Oulette, Miller, Ahonen, and Pascal LeClaire? All were very hyped prospects a few years ago... but to my knowledge all have struggled mightily in the consistency department in the pros.

Heck, Oulette and Ahonen are only a year older than Jason Labarberra and Jason's been a heck of alot better in the AHL than either. And most people think Labarberra won't even make it as an NHL back-up....

bruins4777*

Kubera55 said:
Don't like Montoya? Really? I couldn't tell . . . ;)

But honestly, I'm tired of arguing about Montoya vs. Schwarz. It's silly and I've said my piece here and on Bird's boards many times over.

I will however ask why you are such a huge fan of Oulette, Miller, Ahonen, and Pascal LeClaire? All were very hyped prospects a few years ago... but to my knowledge all have struggled mightily in the consistency department in the pros.

Heck, Oulette and Ahonen are only a year older than Jason Labarberra and Jason's been a heck of alot better in the AHL than either. And most people think Labarberra won't even make it as an NHL back-up....

We've had the montoya debate before. ;)

Anyways. Oulett, i think he's great personally. He's struggling this year, but so is the team around him. He, like auld, hasn't been given much of a chance at the NHL cause of the guy in front. Considering oulett has a great guy like ollie kolzig in front? His chances go down even more. I love kolzig, but i really wanted him to be traded last year so he could win a cup and oulett would finally get a welldeserved starting job.

Leclaire, his potential is outstanding, wicked speed and glove. He had a scary first year, but he's rebounded beautifully. Similar story as niity. I've seen niity play a lot as well, and i like him a lot. To me he's a safe pick. Not as high potential as others, but safest. Wonderful poise.

Miller is very established and although he has had trouble at the NHL level, i think he still has potential. His rochester team isn't all that great. Personally i think he should be given more of a chance. I rated him pretty low, but higher than montoya, because he's done much more than montoya. I honestly don't like the kid much, horrid poise.

Ahonen plays on the 3rd or 2nd worst team in the AHL. A team that somehow is inable to stay out of the penalty box. Yet he remains strong, despite being behind the best goalie in the league. He deserves a trade. FANTASTIC goaltender.

Labarberra, see here in lies a problem. EVERYTIME the pack plays and i see them. Valiquette plays. So i have yet to see this guy play. I don't feel right rating him. I'm not going to only listen to the stats. I've heard he isn't all that talented. So i'm not making any judgements on him. the other guys i've seen. Out of all of the big goalie prospects, labarberra and dubiwelizc(sp?), if you consider him one, are the two i haven't seen at all.

bruins4777*

Jacobv2 said:
You hate Fleury because of Penguins fans as I recall, isn't that right?

I'll quote you:

Nice digging. Yep thats me.

I've actually watched the kid quite a bit. Sadly i have yet to see him this year. I plan too soon though.

Another reason is, i'm a big fan of poise, and this kid simply doesn't have it.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
bruins4777 said:

What did you think of Craig Anderson before he went down to injury? Would he make your list playing the way he was? Im not sure if he is still considered a prospect by you, but he is by HF standards. Its really disappointing as he was doing great.

bruins4777*

theBob said:
What did you think of Craig Anderson before he went down to injury? Would he make your list playing the way he was? Im not sure if he is still considered a prospect by you, but he is by HF standards. Its really disappointing as he was doing great.

Sorry, i didn't get a chance to see him. I saw leighton, i like the guy, nice glove, fairly poised pretty good style.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I'm not sure if he fits in the top 15, but I think COREY CRAWFORD (Chicago, current Moncton Wildcat) is vastly under-appreciated. Everyone looks at that team's (Moncton) "big four" - that is Steve Bernier, Bruce Graham, Adam Pineault, and Martin Karsums as the cause for their enormous success, but anyone within the organization points the finger to Corey first, then the offence.

bruins4777*

Hercules Rockefeller said:
Toivonen lower, Bryzgalov higher, Leclaire lower, Montoya higher, Harding/Ward on the list, Danis off the list.

Those are the changes I'd make.

Any reason why?

I'm not sure if he fits in the top 15, but I think COREY CRAWFORD (Chicago, current Moncton Wildcat) is vastly under-appreciated. Everyone looks at that team's (Moncton) "big four" - that is Steve Bernier, Bruce Graham, Adam Pineault, and Martin Karsums as the cause for their enormous success, but anyone within the organization points the finger to Corey first, then the offence.

Never heard of the guy outside of his name...What kinda style does he play?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
Any reason why?

Toivonen is most certainly not the 2nd best goalie prospect, and is not better than MAF. I don't even think he's top 10. Bryzgalov IMO is top 10, and IMO will be better than Toivonen. Leclaire was hyped when he was drafted, but has done little to make people think he'll be a top NHL goalie, and he is most certainly not a top 5 goalie prospect, Montoya is obviously a very good goalie prospect, but you just don't like him(shouldn't let that influence your rankings), one of Harding or Ward is a top 15 goalie prospect, while Danis IMO is not. Notice the two from the Dub(Ward and Harding) were drafted, while Danis was not. Maybe that doesn't tell the whole story, but I think it tells enough.

bruins4777*

Hercules Rockefeller said:
Toivonen is most certainly not the 2nd best goalie prospect, and is not better than MAF. I don't even think he's top 10. Bryzgalov IMO is top 10, and IMO will be better than Toivonen. Leclaire was hyped when he was drafted, but has done little to make people think he'll be a top NHL goalie, and he is most certainly not a top 5 goalie prospect, Montoya is obviously a very good goalie prospect, but you just don't like him(shouldn't let that influence your rankings), one of Harding or Ward is a top 15 goalie prospect, while Danis IMO is not. Notice the two from the Dub(Ward and Harding) were drafted, while Danis was not. Maybe that doesn't tell the whole story, but I think it tells enough.

How not? He is much more poised than Fleury, took a unheralded finnish team to bronze last year in his WJC chance as starter. Has had better stats than fleury and obviously better play than fleury at the AHL level and is great. Fleury has more talent, but fleury also has more questions. I take toivenen ahead because of his poise and his composure, something that fleury has yet to demonstrate.

Toivenen will be better than Bryzgalov, and i will admit he is too low, i'll move him up to ahead of ahonen and bump everybody else lower. My bad on that case. Bryzgalov is an easy top ten, bad placement by me. I don't understand how toivenen isn't a top 10 prospect?

Leclaire had a horrible first season, but rebounded beauitfully the next season and is strong this season as well, which shows poise. I said in an earlier post that 4-9 can be alternated.

As for Montoya, i don't like him, but honestly even if i was unbiased the highest i would put him is on level or maybe past schwarz. What has he done? Honestly one tournament and not much else. He is showing that he had one magical tourney this year. His career is the NHL equivalent of j.s. gigantic. Montoya NO DOUBT has great NHL potential, but right now he isn't showing he can live up to it.

Harding and Ward, you could make a case ok. I haven't seen harding play, but i've heard nothing but good things. Although this concussion, i think i heard its serious, could cause great problems.

Danis wasn't drafted? So what, look at what he's doing now. Playign on a HORRID hamilton team and playing better than both ward and harding.

bruins4777*

Edited list.
This is my list.
1. Kari Lehtonen
2. Hannu Toivenen
3. Marc-Andre Fleury
4. Pascal Leclaire
5. Maxim Oulett
6. Anterro Niitymaki
7. Henrik Lundquivist
8. David Lenevu
9. Ray Emery
10. Ilya Bryzgalov
11. Ari Ahonen
12. Ryan Miller
13. Marek Schwarz
14. Al Montoya
15. Yann Danis, Cam Ward

4-10 are interchangable. Each could arguably be on top, but personally i'd take bryzgalov and emery as the highest.
for 4-10, as personal preference
4. bryzgalov
5. emery
6. lundquivist
7. niitymaki
8. leclaire
9. lenevu
10. oulett
Although, like i said, they are interchangable.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
bruins4777 said:
Nice digging. Yep thats me.

I've actually watched the kid quite a bit. Sadly i have yet to see him this year. I plan too soon though.

Another reason is, i'm a big fan of poise, and this kid simply doesn't have it.

Doesn't have poise? Watch him some this year and get back to me.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
As for Montoya, i don't like him, but honestly even if i was unbiased the highest i would put him is on level or maybe past schwarz. What has he done? Honestly one tournament and not much else. He is showing that he had one magical tourney this year. His career is the NHL equivalent of j.s. gigantic. Montoya NO DOUBT has great NHL potential, but right now he isn't showing he can live up to it.

montoya has had a very nice college career...it's not just one tournament (though i'm sure that helped...no team is gonna draft a goalie or player just because they happened to look good in one tournament...they'll look over all the games they can get and decide if it's worth drafting them)

he's got work to do obviously but he's young, eh?

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
Interesting topic. Would be interested to read about your scouting methodology to add weight to these opinions.

As a Canuck fan, I see practically no AHL hockey. What is y'alls opinion of Alexander Auld? He was picked to start for Canada in the Spengler, if that means anything, which I would assume it does.

bruins4777*

Vicious Vic said:
Doesn't have poise? Watch him some this year and get back to me.

Alright, but from what i've seen i've seen nothing but poor poise outside of one tournament.

montoya has had a very nice college career...it's not just one tournament (though i'm sure that helped...no team is gonna draft a goalie or player just because they happened to look good in one tournament...they'll look over all the games they can get and decide if it's worth drafting them)

he's got work to do obviously but he's young, eh?

He got beat out by jordan sigalet, a much lesser prospect of the boston bruins, for first team all-star last year for college. He's had a nice college career, but nothign outstanding outside of one tourney. Guys like david lenevu and ryan miller had better college careers. Montoya's season thus far has been pretty poor.

Interesting topic. Would be interested to read about your scouting methodology to add weight to these opinions.

As a Canuck fan, I see practically no AHL hockey. What is y'alls opinion of Alexander Auld? He was picked to start for Canada in the Spengler, if that means anything, which I would assume it does.

Typically when i watch, i watch FOR goalies. I like to watch them, breakdown their style their strengths and such. I love finding out their superstitions. Like toivenen he always throws his water bottle at the end of the period, he does this certain butterfly stretch during periods and stuff. I like watching that kind of stuff...i'm a goalie myself. I watch defensemen a lot do. But goalies are my fav things to watch. Usually i don't care much about saves or anything during a game. I like to see how goalies react from crappy goals and mental situations. Thats a BIG thing i look for.

Alex auld is great, not a high talent level, but he'll be a starter one day. I like the kid.

dw2927

Feb 13, 2004
Paavola, Mich.
bruins4777 said:
This is my list.
1. Kari Lehtonen
2. Hannu Toivenen
3. Marc-Andre Fleury
4. Pascal Leclaire
5. Maxim Oulett
6. Anterro Niitymaki
7. Henrik Lundquivist
8. David Lenevu
9. Ray Emery
10. Ari Ahonen
11. Ryan Miller
12. Ilya Bryzgalov
13. Marek Schwarz
14. Al Montoya
15. Yann Danis

I'd switch things around a little, or maybe alot...Oulette and LeNeveu are a little high here IMO. Ahonen hasn't been consistent since his arrival in Albany, Schwarz seems a little overrated and Danis needs stats from something other than the ECACHL to really show his worth.

I put in Auld because of his size and remarkable coolness in his playoff appearance (although i'm not totally sure he can be still considered a prospect),
Leighton is a bit of a dark horse here, as because he toils in semi-obscurity in Chicago, his stats aren't too gaudy.
Dubielewicz has been stellar for Bridgeport after a great college career at Denver.
Howard will be better than Montoya (this hurts coming from a UM grad) and may well be the USA's next Richter.
Bruckler has great numbers and its tough to leave out the heir apparent to the UWisconsin pipeline.

I'm high on Emery because he will get a chance earlier than many others on this list. Ottawa will not have Hasek for too long, and if they can't match the fire of other teams up front, Emery will do just fine from the crease. He seems like the next Ron Hextall.

1) Lehtonen
2) Fleury
3) Toivonen
4) Niittymaki
5) Bryzgalov
6) Auld
7) Emery
8) Lundqvist
9) Leighton
10)Dubielewicz
11)Leclaire
12)Miller