Top GM Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
The problem with even comparing those guys is that Lowe made a lot of trades that he was forced to by cheap ownership. PC was never forced to make any trade because of ownership. He might've been forced to make corrections because of his past mistakes though
I feel like people never take this into account anymore. Were spoiled by Katz's willingness to spend. If this is EIG times Chia is trading Mcdavid not extending him for 100 million, exactly what happened with the Weight, Guerin etc. And we dont have an AHL team.

Granted the record with the extra spending isnt there. But Chia never had the restrictions Lowe had

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Every GM that’s been here has thought he drafted well. It’s easy to say when it takes years to be proven right or wrong. Right now I’d still consider Chiarelli’s picks to be suspects. Puljijarvi and Yamamoto don’t look anything like sure things. As far as drafting goes, you’d kind of have to say Mactavish did the best. He didn’t have a first overall but still got us Nurse and Draisatl. Pains me to say that because I thought he was a terrible GM who never should have been given the job but he made more from those top picks than any of the other guys made from theirs. He doesn’t have a first round flop attached to him.
MacTavish had 13 picks in the 2013 draft. We got nurse 7th debatable I’d rather still have risto. The other 12 picks amounted to a bit of slepyshev that’s it. Disaster. Look at Bakersfield today. It’s night and day.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Even if you ignore his other disasters, the fact he turned one of the greatest defense man to ever play the game in to Ladislav Smid is all one has to know.
Ladislav Smid (top 10 draft pick), Joffrey Lupul (coming off an awesome season), 2 firsr rounders (one of which was Eberle) and a 2nd rounder.

Not a fan of the trade but no reason to cut off 90% of the return to make it look worse then it was

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Isnt 3 busts better then 1 bust? Id rather the return Lowe got for Smyth then a season of Strome and having to buy out Spooner
I mean you can maybe say we should've never taking Nilsson and O'Marra that they weren't the right players, but we did get that 1st as well. Something that had value and was screwed up by our scouts.

Reactions: Cloned

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not ready to anoint the drafting as better now than it was under Lowe.

Lowe drafted Hemsky, Stoll, Eberle, Petry, Dubnyk ... I have serious doubts guys like Puljujarvi, Benson, Yamamoto, Jones, Bear are necessarily better.

Reactions: redgrant

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Ladislav Smid (top 10 draft pick), Joffrey Lupul (coming off an awesome season), 2 firsr rounders (one of which was Eberle) and a 2nd rounder.

Not a fan of the trade but no reason to cut off 90% of the return to make it look worse then it was

That was a very good trade. Oilers came close to signing Chara in that offseason and if that happened the team would be signifcantly better with Chara and that bunch than with pronger and without it.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Smid was a bust. Lupul was a soft floater, and Eberle was a meh.

So he was traded for a bust, a floater and a one dimensional second line winger.

Yeah. All that for one of the best Dmen of all time.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
That was a very good trade. Oilers came close to signing Chara in that offseason and if that happened the team would be signifcantly better with Chara and that bunch than with pronger and without it.
no it wasn't

he traded a Conn Smyth trophy candidate and best d-man in the league for bit parts and "maybes" which killed the team in 2006-07

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
no, 3 failures isn't better than 1 failure
Disagree.

Nilsson, O' Marra and whoever they wasted the pick on is a better return then Spooner.

Got a 40 point season out of Nilsson which equals Maroon's best year here but Nilsson wasnt playing with Mcdavid.

Lowe made his mistakes but to compare him to Chia is an insult. Chia might be the worst GM in modern history

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Disagree.

Nilsson, O' Marra and whoever they wasted the pick on is a better return then Spooner.

Got a 40 point season out of Nilsson which equals Maroon's best year here but Nilsson wasnt playing with Mcdavid.

Lowe made his mistakes but to compare him to Chia is an insult. Chia might be the worst GM in modern history

cool, they gave up a 36-goal player in the process...not to mention the heart of soul of the team
Oilers went 2-16-1 after that trade

and Lowe made tons of mistakes....with hiring Tambo and MacT near the top of the list

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
no it wasn't

he traded a Conn Smyth trophy candidate and best d-man in the league for bit parts and "maybes" which killed the team in 2006-07

Everyone knew Pronger wanted out. Team had no leverage and he managed to turn it into whats still left in Eberle years later. Like I said if they got Chara who was much better than Pronger 2010 onward that it would have been a clear upgrade.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I feel like people never take this into account anymore. Were spoiled by Katz's willingness to spend. If this is EIG times Chia is trading Mcdavid not extending him for 100 million, exactly what happened with the Weight, Guerin etc. And we dont have an AHL team.

Granted the record with the extra spending isnt there. But Chia never had the restrictions Lowe had
Mind boggling that some people degrade Katz and actually want him gone lol.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Everyone knew Pronger wanted out. Team had no leverage and he managed to turn it into whats still left in Eberle years later. Like I said if they got Chara who was much better than Pronger 2010 onward that it would have been a clear upgrade.
so? he couldn't wait for the best deal like Sakic did for Duchene?

the Oilers weren't supposed to be in "re-build" mode, they were in a "win now" mode...the trade for futur assets signaled the start of the decade+ rebuild we are in now

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
so? he couldn't wait for the best deal like Sakic did for Duchene?

the Oilers weren't supposed to be in "re-build" mode, they were in a "win now" mode...the trade for futur assets signaled the start of the decade+ rebuild we are in now

Chia would have traded Pronger for Lupul one for one.

Reactions: Little Fury

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Except the Oilers only sent proposals to 5 teams and didn't bother negotiating....

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lowe's an idiot, but even he would have a solid team here by McDavid's 4th year given McDavid + Draisaitl + Hall + RNH + Klefbom + Nurse + 16th/33rd overall to start with.

They'd be likely a 4/5/6 seed playoff team by now without much fuss.

Aside from one year of Doug Weight and one year of Pronger, he never had anywhere near that level of talent.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
no kidding but not sure why some posters want to prop up Kevin Lowe though....the guys literally started the perpetual re-build with bad trades, bad signings and hiring bad GMs

All I’m arguing is that Lowe was better than Chia.

Reactions: Jamin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad