Value of: Top 6 LW to the Leafs.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It should also be noted that you guys want Marleau out, not the opposite.

The spins get more and more shameless. Sheesh.
Marleau appears to want to leave as well (to be closer to his family who wants to go back to California), he's also put his house up for sale in Toronto recently

Doesn't sound like a guy who wants to stay imo

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think Hyman and Johnsson are perfect in the Leafs top 6 and keep both lines under 24M. In Hyman’s absence the Leafs will use Moore and maybe Mikheyev.

Johnsson might not even be back it's entirely possible that Johnsson is put in a package for a D man.

Hyman is going to miss some time so yes they need some LW depth

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Johnsson might not even be back it's entirely possible that Johnsson is put in a package for a D man.

Hyman is going to miss some time so yes they need some LW depth

I believe Kapanen will go first. Kapanen is a RW which the Leafs have plenty of and he is the better asset and thus will fetch a better return. There’s no sense in spending money on the wings with the C depth the Leafs have and Hyman returning eventually.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I believe Kapanen will go first. Kapanen is a RW which the Leafs have plenty of and he is the better asset and thus will fetch a better return. There’s no sense in spending money on the wings with the C depth the Leafs have and Hyman returning eventually.

That's great but nobody knows when that "eventually" actually is.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Kapanen plays both sides, and I think Johnsson is viewed as the better asset at this point despite the draft capital, his 5v5 production was impressive for around Christmas onwards this year and is a hell of a possession player. If I have to choose one of those guys to lose, I'll chose Kapanen

But, if the Leafs can move on either of Marleau or Zaitsev, you'll probably see both of those guys back for another 2-6 years

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Kapanen plays both sides, and I think Johnsson is viewed as the better asset at this point despite the draft capital, his 5v5 production was impressive for around Christmas onwards this year and is a hell of a possession player. If I have to choose one of those guys to lose, I'll chose Kapanen

But, if the Leafs can move on either of Marleau or Zaitsev, you'll probably see both of those guys back for another 2-6 years

I don't think it's an "if" at this point

Marleau and Zaitsev are as good as gone

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
What? Marleau requested the trade from the Leafs. Before that came out there were no rumors on the leafs trying to deal Marleau.

Reading is hard, eh?

That actually appears to be mutual you could say Toronto wants Marleau out and you may not be wrong but it also not wrong to say Marleau wants out because it appears he does

Marleau appears to want to leave as well (to be closer to his family who wants to go back to California), he's also put his house up for sale in Toronto recently

Doesn't sound like a guy who wants to stay imo

Yikes - that is completely on me. You guys are correct.

If you can swing a deal to move Marleau, that’ll help your situation a lot. You’ll still need to shuffle around some money, and may need to move another body out, but ditching Marleau’s final year is a great start.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yikes - that is completely on me. You guys are correct.

If you can swing a deal to move Marleau, that’ll help your situation a lot. You’ll still need to shuffle around some money, and may need to move another body out, but ditching Marleau’s final year is a great start.

That other body is Zaitsev, and very, VERY likely Brown also

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Nylander actually prefers the LW. So I'm not sure why he's playing RW with our logjam on that side
Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen

I like

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson
Moore
Micheyev
Marchement
Engvall

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't think it's an "if" at this point

Marleau and Zaitsev are as good as gone
I think that's premature, but I think the odds of at least one of them being gone are pretty good, and only one of them needs to go for there to be cap space for everyone else to stay (Connor Brown may have to go as well if it's Zaitsev, but with the Marlies forwards who are ready I think that's lateral)

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
That other body is Zaitsev, and very, VERY likely Brown also

Brown, sure.

You guys lose me at Zaitsev. I think it’ll be very difficult to move a contract like that without a) adding a significant sweetener or b) taking back a dump or two, a la Clarkson/Phaneuf.

Your situation won’t allow for the latter, so it’ll have to be the former. If I’m Dubas, I say **** it and attach one of Johnsson/Kapanen just to get out from underneath the commitment.

I don’t think picks or Bracco (or a combination of the two) will cut it, given how long Zaitsev’s contract is. That deal is ****ing heinous... reminiscent of Lou giving Ryane Clowe 5 years coming off a year with 3 concussions. Oy vey.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Brown, sure.

You guys lose me at Zaitsev. I think it’ll be very difficult to move a contract like that without a) adding a significant sweetener or b) taking back a dump or two, a la Clarkson/Phaneuf.

Your situation won’t allow for the latter, so it’ll have to be the former. If I’m Dubas, I say **** it and attach one of Johnsson/Kapanen just to get out from underneath the commitment.

I don’t think picks or Bracco (or a combination of the two) will cut it, given how long Zaitsev’s contract is. That deal is ****ing heinous... reminiscent of Lou giving Ryane Clowe 5 years coming off a year with 3 concussions. Oy vey.

Well that would know like Freidman, Bobby Mack etc are saying there is a lot of interest in Zaitsev , Vancouver has been specifically named

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think that's premature, but I think the odds of at least one of them being gone are pretty good, and only one of them needs to go for there to be cap space for everyone else to stay (Connor Brown may have to go as well if it's Zaitsev, but with the Marlies forwards who are ready I think that's lateral)

Marleau is not coming back I think that's clear.
Zaitsev has also asked out and he has some value, they are gone.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Ehlers for Nylander...
Nylander gets to Play center with Laine on 2.line and Ehlers gets away from Maurice... win/win

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Marleau is not coming back I think that's clear.
Zaitsev has also asked out and he has some value, they are gone.
From your lips to Gods ears man, I hope you're right. I just don't want to count on it until something actually happens. Both guys seemed like soft requests to me, like both are willing to stay

Reactions: Kiwi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad