Speculation: Top 6 level RWs available?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Which position does he tend to prefer or play better at?
Of each of his best seasons, one was at RW and one at C. One with Monahan and Gaudreau, the other with Tkachuk and Gaudreau. So I'm not sure he's better at one or the other.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He can play RW but shoots left, it’s clear the fit just isn’t here in Winnipeg. I’d be inclined to move him for an equivalent RW in a swap if the option is there.

What makes the fit not work? I admit I only watch the Jets when they play the Bruins. My impression of Ehlers is that he is fast and big and has some good skills and plays mostly north south. His puck transport seemed like his strongest skill. What did I get wrong, as I am sure I have gotten a lot wrong!

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
What makes the fit not work? I admit I only watch the Jets when they play the Bruins. My impression of Ehlers is that he is fast and big and has some good skills and plays mostly north south. His puck transport seemed like his strongest skill. What did I get wrong, as I am sure I have gotten a lot wrong!
It just seems that he doesn't have any chemistry with our forward group or systems and hasn't for a while. They didn't know what to do with him when Laine was here, when Dubois was here, and seemingly with Perfetti here and Scheifele as a center this whole time. Maurice and now Bowness' coaching don't mesh well with his skillset.

If I were to trade him it'd be for a RW/RH shooting forward of similar age and production in a swap, or an RD in a package of sorts. He still has one more year of this season on his contract but will be looking for a raise and idk if we can provide what he will demand, with Connor's contract expiring the year after, and an overflow of LHS forwards & prospects. Scheifele and Vilardi (currently injured) are the only real RHS forward options in the top 6.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He isn't near big...

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Flyers are loaded with top 6 RWs. You could likely pry Atkinson at a minimum, but their RW depth chart is pretty darn good.

Konecny, Atkinson, TIppett, Foerster, Brink.

TK will be expensive, Atkinson fairly cheap, Brink probably untouchable along with Foerster. Tippett, IMO can be pried as well if a good D prospect comes back.

All contracts are very reasonable, and Flyers can retain if needed as well.
Tk is going to cost a lot. Top prospect and probably two firsts.
Atkinson could go anywhere from a 2nd to a first and b prospect . He's playing well so far

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
Kubalik is a top6 RW buried in Ottawa and they don't know how to use him there. Probably the best bet for a "buy low" strategy.

Other than this, Debrusk is a question mark in Boston (as he has always been) and I can imagine the Bruins won't mind moving his contract for a cheaper alternative.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Just curious, why are Brink and Foerster untouchable and Tippett is not?
No one is untouchable, but Tippett is older, due for a raise, and has more demonstrated NHL experience, so if one of those three were to be traded it would probably be him.

Atkinson at 50% ($2,937,500) would be the most obvious choice for a rebuilding team to move, but the Flyers might have to hold on to as the veteran who can be a buffer for Torts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad