Top 50 players in the league #4

who is the 4th best player in the league?

• Mikko Rantanen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mitch Marner

• Jonathan Huberdeau

• Mark Stone

• Sebastion Aho

• Ryan O'Reilly

• Alex Ovechkin

• Patrice Bergeron

• Sean Couturier

• Anze Kopitar

• Alex Pietrangelo

• Roman Josi

• Connor Hellebuyck

• Mark Scheifele

• Evgeni Malkin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
1) McDavid
2) Kucherov
3) MacKinnon

comment who to add next
add:
Charlie McAvoy x3
Miro Heiskanen x3
Kirill Kaprizov
Thomas Chabot
Jakob Chychrun
Steven Stamkos x2

Last edited:

Phillybean

Aug 2, 2008
Kelowna
how? all the players have gone where they should have so far IMO

I think most ranking can have a bit of a spread to them. I'm sure most people can agree with McDavid #1.

I think 2-4 can be Kuch, MacK or Drai, in any order really. Where it gets interesting is the 5-10 spots.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I will go with Hedman here. Vasilevsky is also a good one to vote for.

Add Jakob Chychrun.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If Kucherov has jumped up to 2nd place based on this year's playoff performance, how come he's not #1 ahead of McDavid? Until now no one had Kucherov even top 3. If he's ahead of MacKinnon based on playoffs, he should be ahead of McDavid too. McDavid was worse than MacKinnon and Kucherov in this playoffs. I don't get the logic

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If Kucherov has jumped up to 2nd place based on this year's playoff performance, how come he's not #1 ahead of McDavid? Until now no one had Kucherov even top 3. If he's ahead of MacKinnon based on playoffs, he should be ahead of McDavid too. McDavid was worse than MacKinnon and Kucherov in this playoffs. I don't get the logic

How? He swept the awards with 128 points 2 years ago, highest point total since Mario Lemieux.
And led the playoffs in scoring last year

I think any of Drai/Kuch/Mack could have an argument for #2 - Kuch has the strongest one though. And yes - recency bias with these playoffs doesn't hurt him, nor should it.

Reactions: PULSATING and Dache

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
How? He swept the awards with 128 points 2 years ago, highest point total since Mario Lemieux.
And led the playoffs in scoring last year

I think any of Drai/Kuch/Mack could have an argument for #2 - Kuch has the strongest one though. And yes - recency bias with these playoffs doesn't hurt him, nor should it.
I mean this year before the playoffs, no one's list of best players had Kucherov top 3 or even top 5. It was McDavid, MacKinnon, Draisaitl top 3 in that order on everyone's list, now suddenly Kucherov is the 2nd best player in the NHL based on this playoffs. In that case he should be #1 because he was also better than McDavid in this playoffs

Last edited:
Reactions: SillyRabbit

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

You're making a lot of poor assumptions here.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

You're assuming that no one had Kucherov that high before this playoffs, that his ranking is solely because of the playoffs and that if his ranking is because of the playoffs, it means he has to be above everyone he's had a better playoffs than. These are all flawed assumptions.

Kucherov was widely viewed as 2nd to McDavid after his 18-19 season, and while some had him fall lower after 19-20, his 30+ point playoffs last year still had him near the very best. If he wasn't considered in that group of top 3/4 before this playoffs, it was either because people were worried about how he'd bounce back from surgery and/or they forgot about him because he missed the season. This playoffs may have reminded everyone how good he can be, but the guy has a 128 point, award- sweeping season, could have won the Conn Smythe last year, and was 2nd in the league by a large margin in points and points per game to McDavid over the three seasons before this year.

And just because this playoffs might have a significant effect on the voting, that doesn't mean it's the sole factor anyone is using. If people are putting Kucherov over MacKinnon when they wouldn't have before the playoffs started, it means they likely considered them close before and this is just pushing Kucherov slightly ahead. This doesn't mean Kucherov therefore should be ahead of McDavid because he also had a better playoffs than him, because the gap between them for most people prior to the playoffs would have been much larger. Putting numbers to it, if before the playoffs, McDavid was seen as a 100, MacKinnon a 95 and Kucherov a 94, and after these playoffs McDavid falls to a 98, MacKinnon stays a 95 and Kucherov becomes a 96, it means the weight of the playoffs can push him ahead of MacKinnon but not McDavid.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You're assuming that no one had Kucherov that high before this playoffs, that his ranking is solely because of the playoffs and that if his ranking is because of the playoffs, it means he has to be above everyone he's had a better playoffs than. These are all flawed assumptions.

Kucherov was widely viewed as 2nd to McDavid after his 18-19 season, and while some had him fall lower after 19-20, his 30+ point playoffs last year still had him near the very best. If he wasn't considered in that group of top 3/4 before this playoffs, it was either because people were worried about how he'd bounce back from surgery and/or they forgot about him because he missed the season. This playoffs may have reminded everyone how good he can be, but the guy has a 128 point, award- sweeping season, could have won the Conn Smythe last year, and was 2nd in the league by a large margin in points and points per game to McDavid over the three seasons before this year.

And just because this playoffs might have a significant effect on the voting, that doesn't mean it's the sole factor anyone is using. If people are putting Kucherov over MacKinnon when they wouldn't have before the playoffs started, it means they likely considered them close before and this is just pushing Kucherov slightly ahead. This doesn't mean Kucherov therefore should be ahead of McDavid because he also had a better playoffs than him, because the gap between them for most people prior to the playoffs would have been much larger. Putting numbers to it, if before the playoffs, McDavid was seen as a 100, MacKinnon a 95 and Kucherov a 94, and after these playoffs McDavid falls to a 98, MacKinnon stays a 95 and Kucherov becomes a 96, it means the weight of the playoffs can push him ahead of MacKinnon but not McDavid.
Kucherov is scoring at 1.45 PPG this far in the playoffs, MacKinnon was scoring at 1.5, it's just that his team didn't go far. Like I said, I'm not sure why Kucherov is suddenly ahead of MacKinnon in the 2nd place

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Kucherov is scoring at 1.42 PPG this far in the playoffs, MacKinnon was scoring at 1.5, it's just that his team didn't go far. Like I said, I'm not sure why Kucherov is suddenly ahead of MacKinnon in the 2nd place

That's a little different than how your first post sounded. Personally I still have MacKinnon ahead, but Kucherov definitely deserves more credit for this playoffs. MacKinnon didn't go as far partly because he once again came up short late in a 2nd round series after a hot start to the playoffs. It's also generally harder to score the further you go in the playoffs as well as over a larger sample size.

Reactions: the_fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad