Top 50 NHL Prospects: Oilers, Sabres, and Leafs each place duo in Fall Top 10

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
So players dont develop if they arent drafted? Larkin was younger than Vanek therefore had less time in life to develop his hockey skills. Does a guy like Tyler Johnson have 0 years of development because he was never drafted?

Seriously... That's not what I said.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
My gods, are some of you defensive when people don't think Marner is the best, behind McDangles and Eichel.

So what, if he's 6-7, behind a couple others? Ehlers is a hell of a player.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I think another problem with the leafs is that there is nobody between 9th and 50th

I think that's more of a problem with the way the list is made than anything.

Each team needs to have some representation, even if their prospect pool sucks.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Kapanen, Brown and or Johnsson in the Honorable Mentions, once the full article is published.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
Seriously... That's not what I said.

"So based on your list, with proper facts, the most comparable players to Larkin are Schwartz and Cammalleri. Did you really help his argument?"

I just dont see how 2014-2015 Larkin is not comparable to 2002-2003 Vanek. Very similar point production, playing college hockey and roughly the same age. I just dont see how when they were drafted would even be relevant when looking at Larkin as a prospect in 2015.

Last edited:

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
He did have an extra year of development though. He did it in his draft+1 year, the others did it in their draft year. I'm not talking about age here, I'm taking about development years.

Extra development years? They're the same age.. How could there be extra years? Were they doing these "extra development years" before they were born?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
That was my thought.

Two top 10 players, then nothing? Oilers 3 in top 20, and then look at their other under 24's.

Maybe next year one or two of the Leafs' reaches will make the list?

It would be nice if it was a list and not a PP.

Oilers have completely bottomed out for a while longer than us.

Connor Brown was 49th in the spring edition and only got pushed out of the top 50 because of the 2015 picks being added to the list. Kapanen is just as good if not better of a prospect.

2015 draft picks outside the very top didn't make the list but the early signs on our two best in Dermott and Bracco are very encouraging.

After we add a top prospect with our 1st this upcoming draft and another quality prospect with the Pens 1st and picks in other rounds (already 3rd rounder, 5th, 6th + more to come after the deadline) I expect us to likely have the best prospect pool in the league.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
After we add a top prospect with our 1st this upcoming draft and another quality prospect with the Pens 1st and picks in other rounds (already 3rd rounder, 5th, 6th + more to come after the deadline) I expect us to likely have the best prospect pool in the league.

I don't know about "best in the league" but after next summer.......top five, for sure.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
I don't know about "best in the league" but after next summer.......top five, for sure.

I dont think it'd be unreasonable to suggest it'd be tops in the league.

Teams like Edmonton, Arizona, Buffalo, Winnipeg who have great prospect pools now will have quite a few graduating prospects.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Teams like Edmonton, Arizona, Buffalo, Winnipeg who have great prospect pools now will have quite a few graduating prospects.

Heading into this season I'd say only Edmonton and Buffalo were clear ahead of us.

Then you could make the argument for the Leafs, Yotes or Jets having the 3rd best.

We're also currently last in the league so I like our chances at a very top pick.

We've also got the Pens 1st.

champs*

Heading into this season I'd say only Edmonton and Buffalo were clear ahead of us.

Then you could make the argument for the Leafs, Yotes or Jets having the 3rd best.

We're also currently last in the league so I like our chances at a very top pick.

We've also got the Pens 1st.

Arizona is pretty stacked also with prospects still...

1 #13 Boston Bruins Jakub Zboril (D)
1 #14 Boston Bruins Jake DeBrusk (LW)
1 #15 Boston Bruins Zachary Senyshyn (RW)
2 #37 Boston Bruins Brandon Carlo (D)
2 #45 Boston Bruins Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (C)
2 #52 Boston Bruins Jérémy Lauzon (D)
3 #75 Boston Bruins Daniel Vladar (G)
4 #105 Boston Bruins Jesse Gabrielle (LW)
6 #165 Boston Bruins Cameron Hughes (C/LW)
7 #195 Boston Bruins Jack Becker (C)

1 #8 Columbus Blue Jackets Zach Werenski (D)
1 #29 Columbus Blue Jackets Gabriel Carlsson (D)
2 #38 Columbus Blue Jackets Paul Bittner (LW)
2 #58 Columbus Blue Jackets Kevin Stenlund (C)
1 #16 Columbus Blue Jackets Sonny Milano (LW)
2 #47 Columbus Blue Jackets Ryan Collins (D)
1 #14 Columbus Blue Jackets Alexander Wennberg (C/LW)
1 #19 Columbus Blue Jackets Kerby Rychel (LW)
2 #50 Columbus Blue Jackets Dillon Heatherington (D)

Last edited by a moderator:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Oilers have completely bottomed out for a while longer than us.

Connor Brown was 49th in the spring edition and only got pushed out of the top 50 because of the 2015 picks being added to the list. Kapanen is just as good if not better of a prospect.

2015 draft picks outside the very top didn't make the list but the early signs on our two best in Dermott and Bracco are very encouraging.

Most outlet would already peg the Leafs as having a top 5 system.

All we have to hope is none of the Leafs picks are good enough to make the NHL and then we're set!!!

Wait?

Such a conundrum!

Okay, I'm going to bite the bullet and hope the Leafs never have the best prospect pool, but rather have the best young players in the NHL. :popcorn:

Sorry guys!

:naughty:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

1 #27 Columbus Blue Jackets Marko Dano (C/W)

Dano is in the NHL with the Hawks though.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Arizona is graduating Domi + Duclair this year.

Bruins don't have the top end talent in their prospect pool to match us.

Blue Jackets could be ahead of us if they get the 1st overall (Matthews).

The top 6 prospects on the HF list are currently in the NHL. Then the #7 and 8 prospects are Nylander + Marner. Then add in a top pick this draft and an additional 1st from the Pens.

If Nylander graduates to the big club this year then we might not end up with the top prospect pool but that's not a bad thing because then that means Nylander is on track.

Either way this team is adding lots of top end talent by bottoming out and lots of extra depth with extra picks. I also like the early signs on almost all of Hunters picks. This team is still in for a few rough years but the overall direction which largely starts with the prospect pool is headed in the right direction.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
That was my thought.

Two top 10 players, then nothing? Oilers 3 in top 20, and then look at their other under 24's.

Maybe next year one or two of the Leafs' reaches will make the list?

It would be nice if it was a list and not a PP.

I think that might be part of the problem, since we did go off the board a little for some of our picks this year, while others are boom or bust types. Maybe guys like Dermott and Dzierkals could potentially make the list next year. And the way they're playing now, they will at least be more highly regarded prospects around the league than they are now.

And of course our stockpile of picks this year will help. Baby steps, but we're on our way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad