Top 50 NHL Prospects: Oilers, Sabres, and Leafs each place duo in Fall Top 10

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
connor_mcdavid_edmonton_102515.jpg
Photo: Edmonton Oilers rookie forward Connor McDavid has begun to produce after a quiet start to his 2015-16 season, netting five goals and 12 points in 11 games (courtesy of Chris LaFrance/Icon Sportswire)

</p>The final section of the Hockey’s Future ranking of the Top 50 NHL prospects features the least controversial 1-2 ranking in memory. Connor McDavid of the Edmonton Oilers and Jack Eichel of the Buffalo Sabres are two of the most dynamic young players to arrive on the NHL scene since Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin debuted a decade ago.

After those two, we presented 48 excellent young hockey players.… read more

The post Top 50 NHL Prospects: Oilers, Sabres, and Leafs each place duo in Fall Top 10 appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

BeleafInShanaplan

Oct 4, 2015
I actually have nylander above marner for now. But nice to see 2 on the top 10. That's gotta be the first in awhile.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I actually have nylander above marner for now. But nice to see 2 on the top 10. That's gotta be the first in awhile.

we could probably have 3 in the top 10-12 next year as well. We are going to be loaded by end of next year's draft, we have a ton of picks already with even more on the way after the TDL.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I know I shouldn't bother complaining, but this always annoys me.

Marner is a year younger than Ehlers and outplayed him in the CHL last season. Yet Ehlers is somehow ranked higher...

Solid logic Hf

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario

Marner is a year younger than Ehlers and outplayed him in the CHL last season. Yet Ehlers is somehow ranked higher...

Solid logic Hf

Marner did not outplay Ehlers last year. The Knights averaged nearly a goal per game more than the Mooseheads. It is very debatable which prospect is better.

91Kadri91*

Marner did not outplay Ehlers last year. The Knights averaged nearly a goal per game more than the Mooseheads. It is very debatable which prospect is better.

He most certainly did.

Marner

4.69 eP/60
3.61 ePrP/60
13.07 %TGC
3.26 ESP/60
0.98 ES IPP
23.0 Rel ESGF%
0.5147 QoT

Ehlers

3.66 eP/60
2.90 ePrP/60
14.19 %TGC
2.28 ESP/60
0.90 ES IPP
20.0 Rel ESGF%
0.5126 QoT

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Reinhart a top 10 prospect is LOL worthy. Nice to see Willie get the love he deserves, though. Marner, on the back of his top-10 all-time best OHL seasons, would be more obvious to some.

I hope we get Alex (Nylander)!

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

This:

He most certainly did.

Marner

4.69 eP/60
3.61 ePrP/60
13.07 %TGC
3.26 ESP/60
0.98 ES IPP
23.0 Rel ESGF%
0.5147 QoT

Ehlers

3.66 eP/60
2.90 ePrP/60
14.19 %TGC
2.28 ESP/60
0.90 ES IPP
20.0 Rel ESGF%
0.5126 QoT

And I'm too lazy to find the stats right now, but I'm 99% sure Marner made up a greater percentage of his teams offence.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
This:

And I'm too lazy to find the stats right now, but I'm 99% sure Marner made up a greater percentage of his teams offence.

Halifax goals/game= 3.34
Ehlers pts/game= 1.98

Ehlers 59% of teams offense.

London goals/game=4.25
Marner pts/game= 2.00

Marner 47% of teams offense.

They are both phenomenal talents and it should not be taken as a slight to be one spot behind Ehlers.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Halifax goals/game= 3.34
Ehlers pts/game= 1.98

London goals/game=4.25
Marner pts/game= 2.00

They are both phenomenal talents and it should not be taken as a slight to be one spot behind Ehlers.

If you don't mind, could you post a link for the source of those numbers? Thanks.

If they're right, I was wrong. It's still important to remember that Ehlers was a year older than Marner last year. So even if who had the better season is debatable, Marner has the clear edge in terms of being the better prospect.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Solid logic Hf

Did you watch Hockey Central yesterday? I think it was HC?

Anyway they were talking about how good Ehlers has been in the NHL.

One of the analysts said that he's probably going to offend several ____ fanbases/people/franchises whatever, but he said Ehlers could be the 2nd. best player to come out of that draft, behind only Ekblad.

That wasn't HF's!

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Reinhart a top 10 prospect is LOL worthy. Nice to see Willie get the love he deserves, though. Marner, on the back of his top-10 all-time best OHL seasons, would be more obvious to some.

I hope we get Alex (Nylander)!

Whats wrong with that? Despite his skating ability, he still pretty skilled and there was a reason why he was drafted 2nd overall a years ago.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge

One of the analysts said that he's probably going to offend several ____ fanbases/people/franchises whatever, but he said Ehlers could be the 2nd. best player to come out of that draft, behind only Ekblad.

That wasn't HF's!

That is the opinion of one analyst on one tv show and all of a sudden people are quoting this like it's gospel. The numbers back up Marner being a better prospect.

91Kadri91*

Halifax goals/game= 3.34
Ehlers pts/game= 1.98

London goals/game=4.25
Marner pts/game= 2.00

Ehlers had a TmPt% of 57.39; Marner had a TmPt% of 46.84. Ehlers had a higher TmPt% than McDavid (as did Sonny Milano). Marner had a higher percentage of team goals created than McDavid. I think we can all agree that McDavid was much more productive than any (and every) player in the CHL last season.

Ehlers may have produced more of his teams offense, but he produced significantly less offense. He also played 7 more minutes per game, with roughly equivalent quality of linemates.

That's not to say that Ehlers will be a lesser player when all is said and done, but Marner was more productive than Ehlers last season.

CaperLeaf

Apr 19, 2012
Saint John, NB
1. Connor McDavid, C, Edmonton Oilers
2. Jack Eichel, C, Buffalo Sabres
3. Sam Bennett, C, Calgary Flames
4. Sam Reinhart, C, Buffalo Sabres
5. Dylan Larkin, C, Detroit Red Wings
6. Nikolaj Ehlers, LW, Winnipeg Jets
7. Mitch Marner, C, Toronto Maple Leafs
8. William Nylander, C, Toronto Maple Leafs
9. Dylan Strome, C, Arizona Coyotes
10. Leon Draisaitl, C, Edmonton Oilers

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

That wasn't HF's!

Hockey Central as in Sportsnet?

Sorry man, but Sportsnet knows absolutely nothing about prospects. And their "analysts" are a joke.

I'll agree that Ehlers has been good this year, but it's been 10 games. Let's see how he plays over the course of the full season. Lots of rookies start out hot and then cool off.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Whats wrong with that? Despite his skating ability, he still pretty skilled and there was a reason why he was drafted 2nd overall a years ago.

He's a Brayden Schenn clone. If that's top-10 prospect worthy, the future of the NHL sucks. But I don't think that's the case.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Ehlers had a TmPt% of 57.39; Marner had a TmPt% of 46.84. Ehlers had a higher TmPt% than McDavid (as did Sonny Milano). Marner had a higher percentage of team goals created than McDavid. I think we can all agree that McDavid was much more productive than any (and every) player in the CHL last season.

Ehlers may have produced more of his teams offense, but he produced significantly less offense. He also played 7 more minutes per game, with roughly equivalent quality of linemates.

That's not to say that Ehlers will be a lesser player when all is said and done, but Marner was more productive than Ehlers last season.

Marner put up 2.0 PPG, Ehlers put up 1.96.. I wouldn't call that significant. Also those toi numbers are estimates.

Equal linemates? Didn't Marner play with Domi and Dvorak? I don't think Ehlers had two guys like that.

91Kadri91*

Marner put up 2.0 PPG, Ehlers put up 1.96.. I wouldn't call that significant. Also those toi numbers are estimates.

Equal linemates? Didn't Marner play with Domi and Dvorak? I don't think Ehlers had two guys like that.

They're estimates, yes, but they're not unsubstantiated. Marner's estimated P/60 was more than a full point higher than Ehlers, which is significant.

Marner played primarily with Dvorak and Rupert, actually. Ehlers played with Meier and Moynihan.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

Domi actually brought down Marner and Dvorak. They played better without him and produced much better. Without Domi in the lineup, Marner had 2.78 ppg.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Completely disagree with Larkin and Ehlers being above Marner. I actually disagree with them being above Nylander as well, but I can at least understand that one. Marner is a better prospect then them, he should be #3. Far too much stock is put into who makes the NHL first.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Not that it matters much, but if I made a list I'd have the same names, but in different order:

1) McDavid
2) Eichel
3) Bennett
4) Marner
5) Larkin
6) Strome
7) Ehlers
8) Nylander
9) Reinhart
10) Draisatl

But I'd probably group it like this:
1 > 2 >> 3-4 > 5-10

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Completely disagree with Larkin and Ehlers being above Marner. I actually disagree with them being above Nylander as well, but I can at least understand that one. Marner is a better prospect then them, he should be #3. Far too much stock is put into who makes the NHL first.

Exactly. Prospect rankings are supposed to be about who will be the best NHL player. There's no possible reason to suggest Larkin and Ehlers are going to be better than Marner.

Sure they've made the NHL, but they're a year older than Marner. Marner's draft year put both of them to shame and it was one of the best draft years in recent memory.

This also applies to Strome. Both of them should rank in the top 5. Their draft seasons are practically unheard off and are usually #1 overall caliber years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad