Top 50 Flames of the Last 25 Years - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
My issue with Kipper is that you remove Darryl as coach and the game opens up and he got roasted like a Christmas Turkey. Fleury was a star no matter what. Kipper was propped up by one of the best defensive groups in the league and when that went away he came crashing back to earth.

This is so wrong. Kipper turned that season around when he came over, instantly winning and getting us into the PO's for the first time in forever. If it was all the D or the system the other goalies that year would have done well too, nevermind that during Kipper's reign no other Flame goalie could come close to his success.
He also was the best goalie at the last World Cup in 2004 for Finland. Having a lockout in 2005 hurt us more than any other team IMO, as during this time Kipper was the hottest goalie on the planet.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
This is so wrong. Kipper turned that season around when he came over, instantly winning and getting us into the PO's for the first time in forever. If it was all the D or the system the other goalies that year would have done well too, nevermind that during Kipper's reign no other Flame goalie could come close to his success.
He also was the best goalie at the last World Cup in 2004 for Finland. Having a lockout in 2005 hurt us more than any other team IMO, as during this time Kipper was the hottest goalie on the planet.

It was Darryl Sutter, and the defensive system he implemented that turned it around actually. Both Roman Turek and Jamie McLennan looked quite good under Sutter as well. Kipper was definitely better than those guys, but Sutter's (both) systems made him a Vezina candidate.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It was Darryl Sutter, and the defensive system he implemented that turned it around actually. Both Roman Turek and Jamie McLennan looked quite good under Sutter as well. Kipper was definitely better than those guys, but Sutter's (both) systems made him a Vezina candidate.
Exactly this. Simply put his numbers under any coach not named Sutter was terrible.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

What was the record before Kipper showed up, and where did we end up? Giving Sutter's system all the credit is just wrong - they both needed each other.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
What was the record before Kipper showed up, and where did we end up? Giving Sutter's system all the credit is just wrong - they both needed each other.

Agreed. 100TG has a valid point regarding Sutter(s) systems, but when Kipper came in that year it completely changed the dynamic of the entire team. The team played like they had a world class goalie in net, because they did.

Turek looked strong that year, but he didn't even approach the level of Kipper.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So 1 year makes him #2? He had nearly as many average years as good years.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
What was the record before Darryl Sutter showed up and what was the record after? See what I did there? :popcorn:

Under Darryl Sutter, with basically the same teammates, Roman Turek's GAA went from 2.57 to 2.33 and SV% went from 0.902 to 0.914, while Jamie McLennan went from GAA of 2.99 to 2.20 and SV% from 0.892 to 0.910.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
What was the record before Darryl Sutter showed up and what was the record after? See what I did there? :popcorn:

Under Darryl Sutter, with basically the same teammates, Roman Turek's GAA went from 2.57 to 2.33 and SV% went from 0.902 to 0.914, while Jamie McLennan went from GAA of 2.99 to 2.20 and SV% from 0.892 to 0.910.

Then why were they a sub .500 team before Kipper, if Sutter's system was the reason for success? He needed a world class goalie, and Kipper was that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Then why were they a sub .500 team before Kipper, if Sutter's system was the reason for success? He needed a world class goalie, and Kipper was that.
the team also continued to win when Kipper was hurt. What is your explanation for that?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Glad I could entertain you.

How else should you judge players?

He was by far the best goalie we had during the time period stated, and was IMO the best goalie in the world for a span. That is why he is #2.
Best goalie in the world for what 2 years? because he was average the 3rd-5th years in Calgary. And being the best in Calgary doesn't mean much when his competition is a couple years of Turek, Bratherwaite and a year of Hiller/Ramo

I would judge them based on their ENTIRE time here in the past 25 years.

By your absolutely impeccable Gaudreau should be #3 because he helped lead the Flames to the playoffs after a long drought.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Except they weren't a sub-.500 team without Kipper. They won more games than they lost after hiring Sutter, in 2002-03. In 03/04 they were what, one or two games under .500 when they acquired Kipper - with Turek and McLennan both playing injured no less. Kiprusoff was also injured during 2003/04, yet the team continued to win without him.
He was by far the best goalie we had during the time period stated, and was IMO the best goalie in the world for a span. That is why he is #2.
I don't think anyone is arguing against that.

Last edited:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Best goalie in the world for what 2 years? because he was average the 3rd-5th years in Calgary. And being the best in Calgary doesn't mean much when his competition is a couple years of Turek, Bratherwaite and a year of Hiller/Ramo

I would judge them based on their ENTIRE time here in the past 25 years.

By your absolutely impeccable Gaudreau should be #3 because he helped lead the Flames to the playoffs after a long drought.

If Gaudreau had been the talk of the town for 5/6 seasons and got us to the Cup, you bet he'd be in conversation. You are totally down playing the impact Kipper had on this team, and the vast majority disagree with you.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Record during injury?
Prior to acquiring Kipper we were 7 games under .500 (after 19 games)
We finished 14 games over .500
So the team was 21 games over .500 after Kipper was acquired.
Kipper was 12 games over .500 (in 38 games)

Thus Turek/McLennan were a combined 9 games over .500 in the remaining 25 games after the acquisition of Kipper.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Prior to acquiring Kipper we were 7 games under .500 (after 19 games)
We finished 14 games over .500
So the team was 21 games over .500 after Kipper was acquired.
Kipper was 12 games over .500 (in 38 games)

Thus Turek/McLennan were a combined 9 games over .500 in the remaining 25 games after the acquisition of Kipper.

And then Kipper went on to have one of the greatest post seasons in Flames history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad