Top 50: Alex Galchenyuk takes over as the top NHL prospect

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Don't know what you weighed at 19 but if you were 200+ pounds then, you'd be considered big.

Indeed.

Personnally I think he looks quite big when he's on the ice. I know he's not the biggest guy ever, but he seems quite big out there... Good for us I guess!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
While I think Alex is a future top line player, I am not sure he should even be in the top 5. He still needs more explosiveness. McKinnon has it, Yakupov has it. Time will tell. One thing is for sure, he needs to be playing center.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
While I think Alex is a future top line player, I am not sure he should even be in the top 5. He still needs more explosiveness. McKinnon has it, Yakupov has it. Time will tell. One thing is for sure, he needs to be playing center.

While Yakupov is more explosive, Galchenyuk is and will be the more complete player.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
Tbh, if Beaulieu made the list Tinordi should be somewhere ahead of him on it.

Right now, Tinordi is a better player for Montreal in the sense that he meets a need but in terms of skill and overall hockey play, Beaulieu is a better prospect. He will be able to do more for a team than Jarred Tinordi.

I think Beaulieu could play in the NHL right now. The problem is lack of space. He's a PK Subban type. I say he will ultimately replace Markov.

I've mentioned this before but in his draft year, Beaulieu was ranked top 5 in most scouting reports and mock drafts, but fell to 18th. I predict there maybe would have been attitude or maturity issues and a good case can be made with what has happened over the summer.

He's kept his mouth shut about playing in Hamilton and there's been no arguments with coaches or anything. Should be interesting.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Right now, Tinordi is a better player for Montreal in the sense that he meets a need but in terms of skill and overall hockey play, Beaulieu is a better prospect. He will be able to do more for a team than Jarred Tinordi.

I think Beaulieu could play in the NHL right now. The problem is lack of space. He's a PK Subban type. I say he will ultimately replace Markov.

I've mentioned this before but in his draft year, Beaulieu was ranked top 5 in most scouting reports and mock drafts, but fell to 18th. I predict there maybe would have been attitude or maturity issues and a good case can be made with what has happened over the summer.

He's kept his mouth shut about playing in Hamilton and there's been no arguments with coaches or anything. Should be interesting.

I agree with the notion that Tinordi is more of a 'type' we need at the moment and that Beaulieu has more potential. But right now Tinordi is well ahead in the development curve if we go by potential to realized potential ratio, especially considering that he has made the NHL.

But to play my own devil's advocate, there was an audition between Tinordi, Pateyrn and Beaulieu last season and tinner won the sweepstakes because our team is soft. Had we lacked a PMD we'd be talking about Beaulieu instead. Such is the luck of the draw. They are both similar prospects in terms of impact, imo.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

Good post.

Beaulieu's ceiling is PK Subban, #1 offensive defenceman.
Tinordi's projected ceiling would be a top-4 shutdown defenceman, Josh Gorges with size.

In terms of potential impact, it's not really close. Tinordi fills a need and is more NHL-ready at this point but Beaulieu has a much higher ceiling.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Yakupov and Kuznetzov are ranked lower than their play merits. I think, if the list makers docked them because of their decision/potential decision to not play in the NHL, that should've been explicitly stated in the article, rather than taking vague swipes at their Russian-ness.

Then again, Tarasenko is ranked above Kuznetsov, which is strange to anyone who saw them play together. Weird list.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Good post.

Beaulieu's ceiling is PK Subban, #1 offensive defenceman.
Tinordi's projected ceiling would be a top-4 shutdown defenceman, Josh Gorges with size.

In terms of potential impact, it's not really close. Tinordi fills a need and is more NHL-ready at this point but Beaulieu has a much higher ceiling.

Subban is a star defensemen, our true franchise player. You really believe Beaulieu has that potential?

Also an intimidating, 6 foot 7 josh gorges is a monster of a defensemen.

Your potential estimates are pretty arbitrary anyway, one could claim Tinordi is a future Scott Stevens or Chara while beaulieu is a bigger Marc Andre Bergeron! (which wouldb equally silly)

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC
True, but i think there are a lot of other things that Galchenyuk needs to improve before his skating, which has come a long way in the past year alone. Not to mention the write adds physicality and defensive positioning as the other two aspects of his game that need improvement. What about being more assertive? Not rushing his passes? Finding space to unleash his shot? If you are going to prepare a list of the best prospects for website called "hockeysfuture" you should probably offer something a little more introspective than that cookie cutter stuff when writing about the number 1 prospect on your list.

As much as i love me some Gally, I find it VERY hard to justify his spot atop the prospect list, which is pretty bad overall.

Unfortunately, we have only so much space for each write-up so it has to be generalized not specific. We try and pick the more important aspects that need improvement. More assertive, not rushing his passes or find the right space to unleash a shot will all come with experience and maturity as an NHL player as he showed that kind of play at the junior level early last season. The others like more explosive acceleration, more physicality and improving his defensive game could make Chucky a superstar. People tend to forget that he missed all but eight games in his draft year. This slowed his overall development compared MacKinnon and Yakupov while they haven't yet had to deal with this kind of setback but Galchenyuk is there with them and in fact a slightly better player. Just imagine what he's going to become if he can improve his explosiveness to Pacioretty's level, more physicality on the forecheck instead of the skate-by (He's showing more physicality going to the opposition's net) and if his defensive game could be modeled after Plecky's. Galchenyuk has that potential where MacKinnon and Yakupov don't. I am not sold on MacKinnon being able to play his game at the NHL level and he will have to adjust his overall game to avoid injuries where Chucky didn't need to make as big a change. Yakupov has a tendency to disappear at times and really needs a good centerman to make things happen where Galchenyuk can make things happen on his own and has been creating chances this season on most of his shifts. Time will tell and should the other two have a year lost to injury like Galchenyuk but at the NHL level and he doesn't, where are their games compare to him then. It's going to be interesting to watch but we have the right prospect for the Habs in Galchenyuk.

King Niinimaa*

To me it's actually pretty clear why Galchenyuk is on top of the list. He may not bloom as early as some other to-become-superstars on the list, but he has all the weapons needed to become a dominate NHL player. It's not just "something that Bergevin saw in his eyes", he has already shown glimpses of greatness. Galchenyuk's wrist shot is one accurate mother****ing laser-beam. Something most players on the list could only pray for.

The thing is, he doesn't have remarkable limitations, Gally can go as far as he's willing to. And what I've seen this far - we have a future of the franchise. Guess it's just a hunch, but something in Galchenyuk just gives me the permission to guarantee he will succeed.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Galchenyuk will be a star in this league. Not just as a one dimensional player, but as a complete player. You win championships with these kinds of players. Very excited that we scored this kid. He's already showing signs of things to come and he's only 19 years old!

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Unfortunately, we have only so much space for each write-up so it has to be generalized not specific. We try and pick the more important aspects that need improvement. More assertive, not rushing his passes or find the right space to unleash a shot will all come with experience and maturity as an NHL player as he showed that kind of play at the junior level early last season. The others like more explosive acceleration, more physicality and improving his defensive game could make Chucky a superstar. People tend to forget that he missed all but eight games in his draft year. This slowed his overall development compared MacKinnon and Yakupov while they haven't yet had to deal with this kind of setback but Galchenyuk is there with them and in fact a slightly better player. Just imagine what he's going to become if he can improve his explosiveness to Pacioretty's level, more physicality on the forecheck instead of the skate-by (He's showing more physicality going to the opposition's net) and if his defensive game could be modeled after Plecky's. Galchenyuk has that potential where MacKinnon and Yakupov don't. I am not sold on MacKinnon being able to play his game at the NHL level and he will have to adjust his overall game to avoid injuries where Chucky didn't need to make as big a change. Yakupov has a tendency to disappear at times and really needs a good centerman to make things happen where Galchenyuk can make things happen on his own and has been creating chances this season on most of his shifts. Time will tell and should the other two have a year lost to injury like Galchenyuk but at the NHL level and he doesn't, where are their games compare to him then. It's going to be interesting to watch but we have the right prospect for the Habs in Galchenyuk.

This post warms my heart. Gaclchenyuk is getting his share of points at the moment and it seems like he's barely trying. Defensively he was "meh" but he ranges from that to Eller-lite which is good in my book for now.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
This post warms my heart. Gaclchenyuk is getting his share of points at the moment and it seems like he's barely trying. Defensively he was "meh" but he ranges from that to Eller-lite which is good in my book for now.

We also have to remember that he is playing wing at the moment. This takes away some defensive responsibilities.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
Maybe this has been mentioned but one thing that sets him apart is his attitude and the fact that not a lot has been asked of him to date.

He stays out of trouble, he's grounded, noone really has bad stuff to say about him, he's not a pr!ck to his teammates or on the ice, he's not a dirty player, when he scores he doesn't dance and throw his gloves in the air ala Yakupov.

Also, he's on the third line hidden away from the scrutiny of the top 6 and producing beyond what is expected of that role. Which is how it should be at this stage. Granted, it's only 2 games but that 3rd line is producing like a 2nd line and teams are overlooking them cause they are simply 'a bunch of 3rd line rookies'.

He's gaining the confidence players normally get in the AHL, right here with the Montreal Canadiens and it's not going to his head.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Subban is a star defensemen, our true franchise player. You really believe Beaulieu has that potential?

Also an intimidating, 6 foot 7 josh gorges is a monster of a defensemen.

Your potential estimates are pretty arbitrary anyway, one could claim Tinordi is a future Scott Stevens or Chara while beaulieu is a bigger Marc Andre Bergeron! (which wouldb equally silly)

Beaulieu has all the tools to be as good as Subban, that's what potential is.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Beaulieu has all the tools to be as good as Subban, that's what potential is.

Just about every offensive minded Dman picked in the first round has the tools to be as good as Subban.

But almost none of them we'll ever be near Subban.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
16 points in last 15 regular season games. 19 points in last 20 games including playoffs. Pretty good...but the amazing part is so far he's only shown small amounts of his offensive upside. All we've really seen is flashes of his high hockey sense and crisp passing skill. Has yet to develop his puck skill and amazing release yet to produce at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad