Top 50: Alex Galchenyuk takes over as the top NHL prospect

Pegasus

Jul 20, 2006
Vancouver
Yes I was surprised too but as many mentioned on HF Boards as well as the Habs management, Galchenyuk could have gone first overall if he was not injured the entire year before the draft ...

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Every time I look at these lists I get more confused about the term 'prospect' .

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't really know why he's still on the prospect list...

I think he his, I wouldn't trade him against anyone of the others short of maybe Mackinnon.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Every time I look at these lists I get more confused about the term 'prospect' .
I don't really know why he's still on the prospect list...

I think he his, I wouldn't trade him against anyone of the others short of maybe Mackinnon.
The lockout-shortened 2012-13 season led to a bevy of talented players maintaining prospect eligibility. With an unprecedented amount of experienced NHL players in the mix, the top of the ranking was especially difficult. All of these players have promising NHL careers, and with no clear-cut favorite, it came down to a matter of Galchenyuk having the better overall game.

If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL.

I like it better then Galchenyuk is underrated :p

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Pretty incredible that he is rated higher than the past two 1st overall picks, and the 3rd overall pick from 3 years ago.

I'd go as far as saying that he is the best 3rd overall pick since Toews himself

What is truly amazing about him is that despite his reputation as a high end play maker with elite vision, he tends to play like a power forward. Most of his goals last season were earned by going hard to the net. And in the season opener, he looked quite a bit bigger / stronger than last year, making him even more effective.

This will make him extremely difficult to defend against. He can make the impossible pass, snipe it, deke you, or simply skate through you lol.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
35. Gallagher
36. Beaulieu

We just won the Internet!

I noticed that too.

I don't think it's a stretch either, all 3 of these guys should have good, long careers.

Just watched Galchenyuk at the beginning of this year it's clear how much more comfortable he is playing amongst men, he isn't scared to take up more space. He's really exciting to watch. Give him a year or two and he'll be a PPG player who's always a threat on the ice.

hogtownhabsfan*

I'd take Mackinnon and Jones over Galchenyuk myself, guess Galchenyuk gets the edge for having a year int he league.

I know Galchenyuk is going to be good, but he really needs to get quicker if he wants to be elite.

Mackinnon is going to be a 90 points a year guy pretty soon, not sure Galchenyuk has that in him.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I'm surprised and don't think it makes a bit of sense tbh. I find gally looks lost in the big leagues more often than not, he's going to be special, but he's not the best prospect atm imo.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
#1? I'm surprised. But that's very cool. Nice to see Gallagher on there too. Beaulieu looks like he slipped a bit in the rankings... is this 'cause he's not in the NHL yet or just because of the great draft that just happened? I expect it's the latter.

Halifaxhab*

So, does this mean oiler fans will stop offering yakupov....but only for galch + + because he was picked 3rd not 1st

:laugh:

beaverBFP

Dec 24, 2008
Winnipeg
To those wondering:

"Prospect is a term usually given to players who aren't necessarily in the NHL, but prospect website Hockey's Future defines anyone who's played fewer than 65 games before the age of 24 as a prospect."

Credit to Berkshire

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He needs to improve his first step acceleration, physicality, and defensive zone positioning to be an absolutely dominant type of player

Honest to god, I want this answered immediately. Where do they come up with these horrendous hockey statements and cliches? Is there a hockey thesaurus just for 'expert bloggers' to rehash this garbage from?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I'm surprised and don't think it makes a bit of sense tbh. I find gally looks lost in the big leagues more often than not, he's going to be special, but he's not the best prospect atm imo.

Interesting take, personally I can't recall a Hab ever having such a great handle on the NHL game at the age of 18. Totally at home in this league.

Halifaxhab*

Honest to god, I want this answered immediately. Where do they come up with these horrendous hockey statements and cliches? Is there a hockey thesaurus just for 'expert bloggers' to rehash this garbage from?

So he's already dominant? Really, it's a fair assesment. He is only 19 afterall. He's already a good player, but to become dominant he does have work to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad