top 5 junior leagues in ontario

KL14

Oct 25, 2011
Eastern Ontario Junior B Hockey League....three divisons, Ottawa Valley, Metro (basically City of Ottawa and communities close to the City including two teams from Gatineau) and Rideau....full of good, hard working kids and it is very good hockey.

Rangersfan21

Sep 17, 2011
Eastern Ontario Junior B Hockey League....three divisons, Ottawa Valley, Metro (basically City of Ottawa and communities close to the City including two teams from Gatineau) and Rideau....full of good, hard working kids and it is very good hockey.

theyre are actually 4 divisions.....st/lawrence as well.

It is divided into basically 2 conferences
Metro/Valley
Ridea/St.Lawrence

AUShockeyfan

Jan 31, 2009
London, ON
Hockeyadvisor - up until he was traded by the London Knights, Chase Hatcher was being "developed" with the London Nationals (Nats) of the GOJHL. Brett Welychka, now a regular w/ London Knights, played for Nats earlier this season. Taylor Edwards, Goalie for the Nats has moved up to play with the Miss. Majors. There are a number of players in the GOJHL who are or have been sought by OHL teams in the past and the present. The GOJHL is certainly not an "awful" league. Look at the Stratford Cullitons of the mid-90's who had the likes of Jeff Halpern, Boyd Devereaux, and a slew of others who earned D1 schollys - and St. Thomas who featured Joe Thornton, Brian Willsie, Jim Midgely and a couple others. I recall hearing that Michigan State had some sort of affiliation with Stratford, if that makes any sense.

However, Hockeyadvisor, I agree with you in that Jr. B, today, is not as heavily scouted as Jr. A/TierII and does not compare with USHL and CHL. These are not only my own observations, but spoke with a coach of an OJHL team who corroborated the aforementioned points, stating OJHL is more heavily scouted, and an overall faster league - which I completely agree with. Conversley, this coach also said some GOJHL could handle a few OJHL teams, too.

As for the Ontario Jr. Hockey Leagues (not OJHL) rankings that were posted earlier, I would place the GOJHL ahead of the SIJHL, and is an equivalent to the NOJHL.

lewis94

May 6, 2009
The GOJHL is a Jr. B league which is a very strong Jr. B league and much stronger than that of the Eastern Jr. B (Ottawa and Quebec) but is still below the OJHL, with teams ranging from Niagara Falls all the way to Sarnia!

Awww, the league stretches THREE WHOLE HOURS from one end to the other... poor muffins... try throwing them in any other league outside Ontario

gmoney11

Jun 13, 2012
Americans in Canada

I have a couple of boys with aspitrations to play college hockey. Juniors is a necessary step in there developemnt and exposure. how do the Canadian junior leagues take to Americans? Are certain communities more USA friendly than other teams? We are looking at 3 leagues, GOJHL, OJHL and CCHL. If anyone cans hare any insight that would be great. Thanks in advance

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
:amazed:

Jr.B is a great level to develop and prepare for Major Junior, Jr.A, and NCAA hockey.

Yes Riley Sheahan did not get drafted out of the GOJHL to the NHL, however he did get SCOUTED by the University of Notre Dame while playing in the GOJHL and then was drafted the following season in the first round.

Guess what happened in 2008? A Jr.B player from the GOJHL was drafted 29th overall (1st round); Daultan Leveille. He too was scouted by a NCAA D1 school, Michigan State University.

This year a former GOJHL Jr.B player was drafted 7th overall by the Winnipeg Jets, Mark Scheifele.

Where did Shea Weber play? Oh that's right, Jr.B with the Sicamous Eagles. Where did Ray Emery play? Jr.B in Ontario. I could go on and on about so many more more players that have gone on to pro careers after starting in Jr.B

There were 7 Canadian Jr.A players selected in the 2011 NHL Draft.

NCAA schools scout the Canadian Jr.A leagues religiously (and yes they do scout the Ontario Jr.B leagues as well). Click HERE for an example. You'll find that the BCHL had 80+ NCAA Division 1 commitments from last season. Here is the list of college commitments for the CCHL.

Also, Major Junior teams follow Jr.B leagues just as much as other leagues.

You might want to check facts before making statements like that.

Eric O'Dell and Paul Byron both played Jr. B at 16 years old for the ottawa west golden knights in the EOJHL. John Matsumoto and Benoit Pouliot also played for the Clarence Creek Beavers at 16 years old in the EOJHL. But seeing how all 4 of these players were drafted to the NHL there were probably no scouts at those games.... Wait a minute....

Last edited by a moderator:

everett331

May 10, 2011
Ontario
I have a couple of boys with aspitrations to play college hockey. Juniors is a necessary step in there developemnt and exposure. how do the Canadian junior leagues take to Americans? Are certain communities more USA friendly than other teams? We are looking at 3 leagues, GOJHL, OJHL and CCHL. If anyone cans hare any insight that would be great. Thanks in advance

the Pembroke Lumber Kings of CCHL usually have 4-6 american's on there team each year with a high sucess rate of those players at the end of there careers getting committed to US colleges, one to Lake Superior State Univ. and tthe other to Lake Superior State Univ., this year and have 4 returning players

gmoney11

Jun 13, 2012
Thanks

Everett,
Thanks fo the reply. My one son is a 17 year old and want to look at leagues where he can get soem time, I am looking at this as a 2 year program before we see if he iscapable to play at thecollege level. CCHL seems like an older league

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
I think the CCHL is one of the younger leagues as they made a move a couple years ago to become more of a developmental league. The Brockville Braves will be a young team this year and they have always had good success at getting kids to the next level ie. NCAA,OHL etc.

KL14

Oct 25, 2011
Development League

I do agree that the CCHL is great for moving kids to the NCAA but it seems some (one or two) of the current crop of coaches are telling their 16 year olds that if they want to go to the OHL, go play Jr.B....I hope this is because they will get more playing time in Jr. B

everett331

May 10, 2011
Ontario
Everett,
Thanks fo the reply. My one son is a 17 year old and want to look at leagues where he can get soem time, I am looking at this as a 2 year program before we see if he iscapable to play at thecollege level. CCHL seems like an older league

The Kings had 1 - 16 yrs and 2 - 18 yrs Americans last year. This teams is very well supported thru there billets and community. The league as a whole is very good at developing young player to go on to committes in US colleges. I have yet to see any american player in the past six years not leave the Kings without a comittment to a US college

gmoney11

Jun 13, 2012
GOJHL vs NA3HL vs NAHL

Looking for some information with someone well versed on the above 3 leagues, how do they compare with respect oto talent and quality of play, I have a few kids they are examining optons ad I am not so well versed with the Canadan Juniors world. Thaks

gmoney11

Jun 13, 2012
GOJHL vs NA3HL

I have a neew who is stewing over playing in the GOJHL vs the NA3HL. He sees the chance to play in Canada as a pretty big oppty, but knows what he is getting in the NA3HL. Can anyone help with comparisons of style and quality of hockey between the 2 leagues? Thanks in advance

Hawks19

Mar 2, 2012
The tough part for many 16 yr olds is that when/if they get drafted, their options are so limited by the restrictions put on Jr teams with how many 16 yr olds they can take. Then what you see are 30 - 40 kids at a Jr. B tryout trying to get 1 or 2 spots. In some cases, it's their only option if the OHL team that drafted them doesn't give them a spot. Then you have the kids that didn't get drafted fighting for a spot on those same teams, trying to be seen by scouts.

Rangersfan21

Sep 17, 2011
I have a neew who is stewing over playing in the GOJHL vs the NA3HL. He sees the chance to play in Canada as a pretty big oppty, but knows what he is getting in the NA3HL. Can anyone help with comparisons of style and quality of hockey between the 2 leagues? Thanks in advance

The GOJHL is the possibly the strongest Jr.B league in Canada and often act as an 'affiliate' team to some OHL teams. There is no Jr.A in the area so it helps strengthen the league. Whether or not people will admit it, a lot of the top players in that league make 400$ a week.

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
To realize analyze should look at # of scholarships per team, CCHL only has 12 teams. OJHL and GOJHL have twice as many.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What's your issue with Eliteprospects? Joel Ward, uh, thanks? What is your point? Also, you can hyperlink names, like this; Joel Ward

Regardless, scouts are still at the game. They might be at the game with a player(s) they have in their sights, but they are still AT the game, watching the game. And if an NCAA D1 coach/recruiter is watching the one prospect, he will most likely evaluate everyone on the ice, because he just used up one of his allotted NCAA evaluations for all those players.

I didn't say they rigorously scout Jr.B, but they will watch select games.

A lot of players have had their starts in Jr.B and were scouted by Major Junior, Jr.A, NCAA, and yes even NHL teams.
Here are some more players who played Jr.B and managed to move up despite what you said:

Chuck Kobasew
Justin Pogge
Barret Jackman
Cody Franson
Kevin Koopman - Drafted by Ottawa out of Jr.B, scholarship to Brown, but decided to be a doctor.
Alex Nikiforuk
Kyle Hood - Played for Osoyoos Heat (KIJHL)
Jamie Benn
Torrie Jung
Derek Mathers
Ryan Jones - Scholarship to Miami (Ohio) out of Jr.B
Brett Westgarth - Scholarship to Princeton out of Jr.B
Wes O'Neill - committed to Notre Dame while playing Jr.B, played season in USHL, Drafted by NY Islanders
Tyler Roeszler - committed to Cornell while playing Jr.B
Max Campbell - committed to Western Michigan while playing Jr.B, Drafted by NY Rangers

Is that enough?

What is your point? I pointed that out to you because you said:

How many Jr.B games have you ACTUALLY seen in Canada? When you are comparing Jr.B to CHL/NCAA, then yes, the hockey is not nearly the same level. Doesn't take away the fact that there are good hockey players who move up to the higher levels of hockey after playing Jr.B. It is entertaining hockey and a good stepping stone for players. Some move up to CHL/NCAA and pro; and yes there are a lucky few who get to skate in the NHL.

Why do you hate Jr.B so much?

And what Jr.A are you talking about that is awful? I know the SIJHL is not the best, but it certainly isn't awful.

Not enough!!!! Im sure players like Benoit Pouliot, Paul Byron or Eric O'Dell weren't scouted out of Jr B..... Oh wait.

hockeyfan2014

Feb 17, 2013
Originally Posted by TheHockeyAgent View Post

There are no scouts at Jr. B & Jr. C games - not from the OHL, not from Div 1 schools, not from the NHL

Well, I can tell that you are not from the Ottawa Valley or you do not follow hockey there. Scouts from all levels, EVEN the NHL and the US, come up to the Valley several times a year to scout the Ottawa 67’s, the CCHL and occasionally the EOJHL. There are several players in the EOJHL, yes Junior B, that are affiliated with the OHL every year and the OHL teams do know about young talent in their area from about 13-14 years old and up. Many 16-17 year old EOJHL players are affiliated with the CCHL every year as well. A good scout finds the good players at an early stage regardless where they are playing and regardless of what level. Names get passed around all the times. The right people know.

Futurehockeyscout98

Feb 25, 2014
I'm not sure how to respond to your post since you're all over the map. Since you have so many eliteprospect sources. Wanna see a cool path? Eliteprospects.com - Joel Ward.

So here I go...

No - you're wrong. Scouts follow players, not teams. They are informed by coaches and word of mouth and this is only when they will go watch specific players. Unless your team has a Logan Couture on it at age 15, why would a scout be there?

So lets take your Mark example...just because I don't know anything about hockey.

Mark was drafted from his Kitchener Minor Midget team in the 2009 OHL Priority Selection Draft (7th round, 134th overall). From here, Mark refused to play for the Saginaw Spirit, saw Cornell as an opportunity (received letters) and opt'd to play Jr. B in Kitchener (his home town).

During his tenture there, Mark led his team in scoring and grew about 3-4 inches to become 6'2-6'3 without skates, 170lbs roughly. From here, Saginaw decided to trade his rights to the Barrie Colts. Because of their recent NHL'er hiring, Mark was talked into attending camp. Within their 48 hour window at camp Dale realised Barrie had a REAL LIFE prospect. The staff talked Mark out of the NCAA route, and into being taught by Dale - excellent choice for someone who is fast-tracked to the NHL.

Now just to continue, because I know nothing about hockey. Scouts would watch MARK play Jr. B - OHL scouts, Cornell scouts - sure, why wouldn't they? Mark was already on their radar, and a '93 leading his Jr. B team in scoring with such size.. is a magnificient thing.

To continue, I know the committment rates for all leagues across both boarders. Jr. B does not get scouted rigorously by NCAA D1 scouts. I highly doubt any scouts would ever watch a random game. They are there to see a player. But they're scouts, who can really trust anything they say. Isn't every player the next Gretzky in their eyes? Jr. A - BC, OJ, CC etc..is a bit different. Top BCHL teams are almost on par with the USHL. These top teams attract scouts - Pentiction Vees, because they have a history of attracting talent, because they have a system that works to produce NCAA'ers/NHL'ers.

Please continue your list though of Jr. B players who got "sighted". But what do I know?..I'm just an unknowledgable hockey advisor. Oh, and the 7 Jr. A players selected in the NHL draft are committed to NCAA Div1 schools, same with all those players selected from the USHL & USNDP.

OH AND, Jr. B/Jr.A is awful hockey. Not even comparable to the USHL, CHL, NCAA. Players play in these leagues because they're forced to - no where else to go, or they want to stay in Canada, or they are set on the NCAA route.

Well Now guys like Brandon Montour(RD 2 Anaheim Ducks) who plyed Jr.B from 16-18) was noticed and moved up. Sarnia Legionnares Josh Kestner invited to a camp straight from Jr.B. Jr.B is starting to become faster, better, stronger hockey with a lot of kids from the O being drafted going to develop or OHlers being relesed go. GOJHL is by far better then the OJHL. In the OJHL rich kids play there making more talent drop to Jr.B. THis summer in the GOJHL 15 players have commited to Jr A programs across Canada.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
I'm not sure how to respond to your post since you're all over the map. Since you have so many eliteprospect sources. Wanna see a cool path? Eliteprospects.com - Joel Ward.

So here I go...

No - you're wrong. Scouts follow players, not teams. They are informed by coaches and word of mouth and this is only when they will go watch specific players. Unless your team has a Logan Couture on it at age 15, why would a scout be there?

So lets take your Mark example...just because I don't know anything about hockey.

Mark was drafted from his Kitchener Minor Midget team in the 2009 OHL Priority Selection Draft (7th round, 134th overall). From here, Mark refused to play for the Saginaw Spirit, saw Cornell as an opportunity (received letters) and opt'd to play Jr. B in Kitchener (his home town).

During his tenture there, Mark led his team in scoring and grew about 3-4 inches to become 6'2-6'3 without skates, 170lbs roughly. From here, Saginaw decided to trade his rights to the Barrie Colts. Because of their recent NHL'er hiring, Mark was talked into attending camp. Within their 48 hour window at camp Dale realised Barrie had a REAL LIFE prospect. The staff talked Mark out of the NCAA route, and into being taught by Dale - excellent choice for someone who is fast-tracked to the NHL.

Now just to continue, because I know nothing about hockey. Scouts would watch MARK play Jr. B - OHL scouts, Cornell scouts - sure, why wouldn't they? Mark was already on their radar, and a '93 leading his Jr. B team in scoring with such size.. is a magnificient thing.

To continue, I know the committment rates for all leagues across both boarders. Jr. B does not get scouted rigorously by NCAA D1 scouts. I highly doubt any scouts would ever watch a random game. They are there to see a player. But they're scouts, who can really trust anything they say. Isn't every player the next Gretzky in their eyes? Jr. A - BC, OJ, CC etc..is a bit different. Top BCHL teams are almost on par with the USHL. These top teams attract scouts - Pentiction Vees, because they have a history of attracting talent, because they have a system that works to produce NCAA'ers/NHL'ers.

Please continue your list though of Jr. B players who got "sighted". But what do I know?..I'm just an unknowledgable hockey advisor. Oh, and the 7 Jr. A players selected in the NHL draft are committed to NCAA Div1 schools, same with all those players selected from the USHL & USNDP.

OH AND, Jr. B/Jr.A is awful hockey. Not even comparable to the USHL, CHL, NCAA. Players play in these leagues because they're forced to - no where else to go, or they want to stay in Canada, or they are set on the NCAA route.

Dont want to argue as im 16 and I started later than everyone else so im trying to see which leagues would best my development and get me a d1 scholarship. But isnt the USHL Jr. A? You said Jr A isnt comparable to the USHL so im just trying to figure this out. And since you are a hockey advisor, Where would you rank the CIJHL(if you know anything about it) I have an offer to play in it this year and I would like to go but I dont know if im wasting money. Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad