top 5 junior leagues in ontario

TheHockeyAdvisor*

The CJHL is the Canadian Junior Hockey League, which is an amalgamation of 10 Jr. A hockey leagues throughout Canada. In Ontario it's broken down into the Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL), Central Canada Hockey League (CCHL), the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League (NOJHL) & lastly the Superior International Junior Hockey League.

This information is fairly simple to find. It's broken down for your convenience by picture-province reference at the top of the CJHL website. http://www.cjhlhockey.com/

There is also the "Greater Metro Jr. A Hockey League" - an outlaw league without affiliation to the CJHL or the support of Hockey Canada. An OHL Team would not develop a player in this league nor have affiliation with this league.

Hope this was helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:

GoalieGuru

May 3, 2009
The CCHL is the strongest Jr A in Ontario because the of the lower number of teams and close proximity to parts of the USA and the very active scouting that goes on with the teams in that league. The OJHL has too many teams and is a a drop off below the CCHL, but are making steps in teh right direction.

The NOJHL and SIJHL are below those two leagues.

The GOJHL is a Jr. B league which is a very strong Jr. B league and much stronger than that of the Eastern Jr. B (Ottawa and Quebec) but is still below the OJHL, with teams ranging from Niagara Falls all the way to Sarnia!

These are the main leagues OHL teams will have there talent develop!

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Loads of scouts are at the local junior B games. I'm from Windsor and there are so many pros./div. 1 players that started their junior careers here through the junior B/C system. Including guys like Matt Martin(played C), Brett Bellmore, Eric/Kyle Wellwood, the late Mickey Renaud ect... There are many, many more. Div. 1 school scouts and OHL scouts are at these games for sure.

TheHockeyAdvisor*

loads of scouts are at the local junior b games. I'm from windsor and there are so many pros./div. 1 players that started their junior careers here through the junior b/c system. Including guys like matt martin(played c), brett bellmore, eric/kyle wellwood, the late mickey renaud ect... There are many, many more. Div. 1 school scouts and ohl scouts are at these games for sure.

GoalieGuru

May 3, 2009
No there are NO SCOUTS watching Jr. B hockey, Riley Sheehan was a 1st RD NHL (2009)draft pick out of ST. Catharines Jr. B by pure accident???

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
No there are NO SCOUTS watching Jr. B hockey, Riley Sheehan was a 1st RD NHL (2009)draft pick out of ST. Catharines Jr. B by pure accident???

What? I have no idea what anything in this post is supposed to mean.

-Sheahan played at Notre Dame when he was chosen in the 1st round of the NHL Draft, but that was in 2010.

-Sheahan was not picked in the OHL Priority Selection until the fourth round, so you couldn't have meant that either.

-Even if you somehow typed 'Sheehan' (sic) but meant Daultan Leveille, Leveille was a first round pick in 2008, not 2009.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
There's definitely Div 1 scouts at Jr A games all the time. My friend this year is going to Princeton and my dad played for RPI. Also my grandpa coached in Jr A and he has lots of Michigan and Boston U alumni.

billycanuck

Stop putting hopes into kids minds, where there shouldn't be. I'm glad you're from Windsor and everything, but stop.

There are no scouts at Jr. B & Jr. C games - not from the OHL, not from Div 1 schools, not from the NHL. Players like Eric/Kyle Wellwood, Jimmy Howard, Logan Couture played Jr. B at an extremely young age (14), so yes, SOME scouts went to see these players. Jr.A can barely wheel OHL scouts, why waste your time in a non-producing league, watching players who are older when you can simply watch a MM game and look at the future instead of the past.

But I can tell you a Div 1 scout is not watching Jr. B, not Jr. C and barely Jr. A in Canada.
:amazed:

Jr.B is a great level to develop and prepare for Major Junior, Jr.A, and NCAA hockey.

Yes Riley Sheahan did not get drafted out of the GOJHL to the NHL, however he did get SCOUTED by the University of Notre Dame while playing in the GOJHL and then was drafted the following season in the first round.

Guess what happened in 2008? A Jr.B player from the GOJHL was drafted 29th overall (1st round); Daultan Leveille. He too was scouted by a NCAA D1 school, Michigan State University.

This year a former GOJHL Jr.B player was drafted 7th overall by the Winnipeg Jets, Mark Scheifele.

Where did Shea Weber play? Oh that's right, Jr.B with the Sicamous Eagles. Where did Ray Emery play? Jr.B in Ontario. I could go on and on about so many more more players that have gone on to pro careers after starting in Jr.B

There were 7 Canadian Jr.A players selected in the 2011 NHL Draft.

NCAA schools scout the Canadian Jr.A leagues religiously (and yes they do scout the Ontario Jr.B leagues as well). Click HERE for an example. You'll find that the BCHL had 80+ NCAA Division 1 commitments from last season. Here is the list of college commitments for the CCHL.

Also, Major Junior teams follow Jr.B leagues just as much as other leagues.

You might want to check facts before making statements like that.

TheHockeyAdvisor*

:amazed:

Jr.B is a great level to develop and prepare for Major Junior, Jr.A, and NCAA hockey.

Yes Riley Sheahan did not get drafted out of the GOJHL to the NHL, however he did get SCOUTED by the University of Notre Dame while playing in the GOJHL and then was drafted the following season in the first round.

Guess what happened in 2008? A Jr.B player from the GOJHL was drafted 29th overall (1st round); Daultan Leveille. He too was scouted by a NCAA D1 school, Michigan State University.

This year a former GOJHL Jr.B player was drafted 7th overall by the Winnipeg Jets, Mark Scheifele.

Where did Shea Weber play? Oh that's right, Jr.B with the Sicamous Eagles. Where did Ray Emery play? Jr.B in Ontario. I could go on and on about so many more more players that have gone on to pro careers after starting in Jr.B

There were 7 Canadian Jr.A players selected in the 2011 NHL Draft.

NCAA schools scout the Canadian Jr.A leagues religiously (and yes they do scout the Ontario Jr.B leagues as well). Click HERE for an example. You'll find that the BCHL had 80+ NCAA Division 1 commitments from last season. Here is the list of college commitments for the CCHL.

Also, Major Junior teams follow Jr.B leagues just as much as other leagues.

You might want to check facts before making statements like that.

I'm not sure how to respond to your post since you're all over the map. Since you have so many eliteprospect sources. Wanna see a cool path? Eliteprospects.com - Joel Ward.

So here I go...

No - you're wrong. Scouts follow players, not teams. They are informed by coaches and word of mouth and this is only when they will go watch specific players. Unless your team has a Logan Couture on it at age 15, why would a scout be there?

So lets take your Mark example...just because I don't know anything about hockey.

Mark was drafted from his Kitchener Minor Midget team in the 2009 OHL Priority Selection Draft (7th round, 134th overall). From here, Mark refused to play for the Saginaw Spirit, saw Cornell as an opportunity (received letters) and opt'd to play Jr. B in Kitchener (his home town).

During his tenture there, Mark led his team in scoring and grew about 3-4 inches to become 6'2-6'3 without skates, 170lbs roughly. From here, Saginaw decided to trade his rights to the Barrie Colts. Because of their recent NHL'er hiring, Mark was talked into attending camp. Within their 48 hour window at camp Dale realised Barrie had a REAL LIFE prospect. The staff talked Mark out of the NCAA route, and into being taught by Dale - excellent choice for someone who is fast-tracked to the NHL.

Now just to continue, because I know nothing about hockey. Scouts would watch MARK play Jr. B - OHL scouts, Cornell scouts - sure, why wouldn't they? Mark was already on their radar, and a '93 leading his Jr. B team in scoring with such size.. is a magnificient thing.

To continue, I know the committment rates for all leagues across both boarders. Jr. B does not get scouted rigorously by NCAA D1 scouts. I highly doubt any scouts would ever watch a random game. They are there to see a player. But they're scouts, who can really trust anything they say. Isn't every player the next Gretzky in their eyes? Jr. A - BC, OJ, CC etc..is a bit different. Top BCHL teams are almost on par with the USHL. These top teams attract scouts - Pentiction Vees, because they have a history of attracting talent, because they have a system that works to produce NCAA'ers/NHL'ers.

Please continue your list though of Jr. B players who got "sighted". But what do I know?..I'm just an unknowledgable hockey advisor. Oh, and the 7 Jr. A players selected in the NHL draft are committed to NCAA Div1 schools, same with all those players selected from the USHL & USNDP.

OH AND, Jr. B/Jr.A is awful hockey. Not even comparable to the USHL, CHL, NCAA. Players play in these leagues because they're forced to - no where else to go, or they want to stay in Canada, or they are set on the NCAA route.

billycanuck

I'm not sure how to respond to your post since you're all over the map. Since you have so many eliteprospect sources. Wanna see a cool path? Eliteprospects.com - Joel Ward.

What's your issue with Eliteprospects? Joel Ward, uh, thanks? What is your point? Also, you can hyperlink names, like this; Joel Ward

No - you're wrong. Scouts follow players, not teams. They are informed by coaches and word of mouth and this is only when they will go watch specific players. Unless your team has a Logan Couture on it at age 15, why would a scout be there?

So lets take your Mark example...just because I don't know anything about hockey.

Mark was drafted from his Kitchener Minor Midget.....

Regardless, scouts are still at the game. They might be at the game with a player(s) they have in their sights, but they are still AT the game, watching the game. And if an NCAA D1 coach/recruiter is watching the one prospect, he will most likely evaluate everyone on the ice, because he just used up one of his allotted NCAA evaluations for all those players.

To continue, I know the committment rates for all leagues across both boarders. Jr. B does not get scouted rigorously by NCAA D1 scouts.
I didn't say they rigorously scout Jr.B, but they will watch select games.

Please continue your list though of Jr. B players who got "sighted".
A lot of players have had their starts in Jr.B and were scouted by Major Junior, Jr.A, NCAA, and yes even NHL teams.
Here are some more players who played Jr.B and managed to move up despite what you said:
There are no scouts at Jr. B & Jr. C games - not from the OHL, not from Div 1 schools, not from the NHL

Chuck Kobasew
Justin Pogge
Barret Jackman
Cody Franson
Kevin Koopman - Drafted by Ottawa out of Jr.B, scholarship to Brown, but decided to be a doctor.
Alex Nikiforuk
Kyle Hood - Played for Osoyoos Heat (KIJHL)
Jamie Benn
Torrie Jung
Derek Mathers
Ryan Jones - Scholarship to Miami (Ohio) out of Jr.B
Brett Westgarth - Scholarship to Princeton out of Jr.B
Wes O'Neill - committed to Notre Dame while playing Jr.B, played season in USHL, Drafted by NY Islanders
Tyler Roeszler - committed to Cornell while playing Jr.B
Max Campbell - committed to Western Michigan while playing Jr.B, Drafted by NY Rangers

Is that enough?

Oh, and the 7 Jr. A players selected in the NHL draft are committed to NCAA Div1 schools, same with all those players selected from the USHL & USNDP.

What is your point? I pointed that out to you because you said:
But I can tell you a Div 1 scout is not watching Jr. B, not Jr. C and barely Jr. A in Canada.

OH AND, Jr. B/Jr.A is awful hockey. Not even comparable to the USHL, CHL, NCAA. Players play in these leagues because they're forced to - no where else to go, or they want to stay in Canada, or they are set on the NCAA route.

How many Jr.B games have you ACTUALLY seen in Canada? When you are comparing Jr.B to CHL/NCAA, then yes, the hockey is not nearly the same level. Doesn't take away the fact that there are good hockey players who move up to the higher levels of hockey after playing Jr.B. It is entertaining hockey and a good stepping stone for players. Some move up to CHL/NCAA and pro; and yes there are a lucky few who get to skate in the NHL.

Why do you hate Jr.B so much?

And what Jr.A are you talking about that is awful? I know the SIJHL is not the best, but it certainly isn't awful.

Last edited:

TheHockeyAdvisor*

You're all over the map, and incorrectly reading and understanding information.

Many players do play Jr. B/Jr. A as a stepping stone as it's necessary/the highest level of hockey avalible/personal reasons etc.

Now when it comes to scouting, please do not assume that there are just scouts at games watching all players - there's not, as I mentioned previous. I gave you the reasoning behind scouts being at games, sure, they'll see other players in the process, but unless someone stands out, they're solely there to watch a certain prospect. This is all repetition.

Please stop typing about players like you know their career paths. You don't. As for Jr. B, I've watched my fair share..I played it when I was 15. It was a garbage league then and still the same.

You can add Jimmy Howard to your list - played Jr. B as well, when he was 14. No scouts went to see him though. Not even 1 - and he won that team a championship.

Enjoy.

billycanuck

Since you responded on here and THEN sent me a private PM, I guess I will do the same with what I sent you;

How did I write like I knew their career paths personally? I wrote what I saw.

I think you're the one that needs to settle down as you were the one that started to critique Jr.B like it was the plague for players. I was just pointing out that Jr.B is not.

Can't agree with you that getting drafted is meaningless when it means something. NHL teams will not just draft somebody for the hell of it. They will use their resources to help develop that player over others they did not draft.

But hey, you have your opinions and I have mine and the world keeps spinning right?

TheHockeyAdvisor*

BobMcKenzie-TheHockeyInsider, it is blantly obvious that you have never worked in this industry, or have even begun to comprehend its functionality.

A scout can like the smallest thing about a player - relay it to his DPP who may relay it to a GM in passing and on Draft day - 7th round, guess who they pick -- the smallest thing.

As aforementioned -- there is more to a players development than just eliteprospects.com. "Oh he played Jr. B and got scouted and drafted." Here's a hint - take a step back and ask yourself Why? - Why did he play Jr. B when he did?, Was the system good?, Was the team a winning team? Was this his quickest route to exposure?, Did his advisor know the head coach? Did his brother previously play there (Eric Wellwood)? This list goes on and on.

In stead of stepping back, understanding what a person is telling you about the industry you - rather form these bogus opinions and act like you're a knowledgable source. I know you aspire to be Pierre Mcguire, but the difference is he actually knows what he's talking about.

This set-up is too opinionated and severely lacks industry based knowledge. Enjoy wasting your time on here. Maybe it's my cockiness, but my time can be better spent elsewhere.

You win, congrats.

For the record - your comment --Brett Westgarth - Scholarship to Princeton out of Jr.B. Princeton nor does any Ivy League school offer scholarships based on athletic performance. You can be Sid the Kid - it doesn't matter.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Dude I'm friends with people who play in the OJHL and I can tell you there are scouts there every single game. One of my friends actually just got drafted to the show from jr.a this year, and I know about 7 others from a single team that have been offered scholarships to division 1/3 schools. It's not horrible hockey, sure there are kids playing that aren't going anywhere but there are quite a few who we're all going to be watching play one day.

For the record, people don't always pan out the way you'd think. You might think you know everything, but I'm thinking a scout might even see something nobody else does.

(Dallas scout was at one of our games last year and I play in a league lower than Jr.A)

GoalieGuru

May 3, 2009
Also, Doug MAclean has told they story of Steve Mason many times. Played Jr. C as a 15 year old in Grimsby,the moved to Jr. B n the GOJHL. Petrolia I think. Maclean noticed him at a Jr. B practice and was blown away! He kept his eye on him all year and drafted him to Columbus after Mason moved up to the London Knights!

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
You're all over the map, and incorrectly reading and understanding information.

Many players do play Jr. B/Jr. A as a stepping stone as it's necessary/the highest level of hockey avalible/personal reasons etc.

Now when it comes to scouting, please do not assume that there are just scouts at games watching all players - there's not, as I mentioned previous. I gave you the reasoning behind scouts being at games, sure, they'll see other players in the process, but unless someone stands out, they're solely there to watch a certain prospect. This is all repetition.

Please stop typing about players like you know their career paths. You don't. As for Jr. B, I've watched my fair share..I played it when I was 15. It was a garbage league then and still the same.

You can add Jimmy Howard to your list - played Jr. B as well, when he was 14. No scouts went to see him though. Not even 1 - and he won that team a championship.

Enjoy.

When I said before that my grandpa coached jr A, he actually coached Jimmy Howard the next year in for the Kanata Valley Lazers!

parker0994

Dec 26, 2011
here boys ill put it to you this way, i play in the league, i know riley, and daults they were getting drafted before even join to ncaa. last year i played for the canucks, 2 guys went to the o, and 3 went CIS, don't look at it as a bad league, we are just as comparable to the tier 2 jr a there are just to many teams in oj for this league to be considered tier 2, I'm join NCAA as well and so are many guys i play/played with there is the answers to your questions

parker0994

Dec 26, 2011
eh and "the hockey scout" your wrong sorry to say but its not a brutal league, its getting better and better every year, scouts do come watch, like i said I'm get in scouted right now, but your right on how they come they have to be contacted about you but you can't be saying its an awful league when there are guys who come play from the OHL, and tier 2 yes its cuz they are usually getting paid but they still come

Rangersfan21

Sep 17, 2011
Ranking is as follows:
CCHL
OJHL
NOJHL
SIJHL
GOJHL
EOJHL

the outlaw league is probably ahead of or equivalent to EOJHL

Ad

Upcoming events