Movies: Top 5 Horror Franchises to Binge

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched the 3 Conjuring movies last week, first time seeing any of them. Would recommend

You should now watch the three Annabelle movies (which are spinoffs of The Conjuring). The first is not that good, but the next two are solid.

Reactions: Martinez

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Good to know. Only saw the first and thought it was rather poor.

Yeah, it was panned (29%/35% at RT), but Annabelle: Creation (71%/67%) and Annabelle Comes Home (65%/70%) are a lot better. It's a weird case in which the original is easily the worst of the series.
No one mentioned Ringu yet?

I binged most of them (both Japanese and American) a few years ago and wouldn't recommend it. They get pretty tedious and similar, IMO.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Outside of their original films (plus if I’m being generous... maybe a sequel or two depending on the film), most horror franchises f***ing suck.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Outside of their original films (plus if I’m being generous... maybe a sequel or two depending on the film), most horror franchises f***ing suck.
I find Dawn of the Dead to be the best horror movie of all time and Day is also better than Night.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Nobody keeps you from starting a thread about Bergman's trilogy or the Dekalog!

I find Dawn of the Dead to be the best horror movie of all time and Day is also better than Night.

Night is my favourite of the original Romero trilogy.

Can't agree with either of you.

- Dawn
- Night
-
-
-
- Day

Reactions: Richard

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Nobody keeps you from starting a thread about Bergman's trilogy or the Dekalog!

Can't agree with either of you.

- Dawn
- Night
-
-
-
- Day
When I first watched Day I hated it--- but now its really grown on me. The atmosphere, the finality.

Really really good.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
When I first watched Day I hated it--- but now its really grown on me. The atmosphere, the finality.

Really really good.

Oh I like it a lot, and it's not as dumb as it might look like, but it's really far from the other two. The gap between Day and what followed is even wider.

Last edited:

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Oh I like it a lot, and it's not as dumb as it might look like, but it's really far from the other two. The gab between Day and what followed is even wider.
I'll say Night, despite being black and white, has a lot more "scares" for me. The scene where he stabs the zombie in the head (actually Russo ha) and then says don't look at it as it opens its eyes is still, to this day, horribly creepy.

The atmosphere in Night is also the best of the bunch-these walking ghouls get up and kill and even if shot in the head... get up and kill until you burn them. I enjoyed that.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The thing about Night of the Living Dead is that any genuine, honest conversation about film history — even beyond straight horror — needs to include it. It's not just a highly influential horror film (legitimately birthed something* that's still relevant today) but it's also one of the landmark examples of independent DYI filmmaking.

*Yes,zombies predate Romero, but he created the modern day conception of it.

That it's been consistently left off toney lists like AFI and Sight & Sound has always been a big pet peeve of mine.

All that said Dawn of the Dead rules. :D

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada

Really really good.

I need to rewatch my blu-ray version I guess.

Aside from Bub the Zombie being awesome/saluting, and a death scene or two, I remember little of it. Aside from thinking it was boring as f*** when compared to “Night” or even to other zombie flicks like Lucio Fulci’s “Zombie Flesh Eaters”, or “Living Dead At Manchester Morgue”, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2