Movies: Top 5 Horror Franchises to Binge

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Polling anyone and everyone out of curiosity. Which are your top 5 favorite or do you believe most worthy horror franchise movies to binge? And why or how you came to your ranking if you could please?

It can be off of personal preference, variance/changes of movies, 'murders', style, writing/storyline, dialogue, etc.

Thanks.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Nightmare on Elm Street would be my top choice. Two legit good movies (1, 7). One very entertaining one (3). Even the two biggest failures (2, 6) are at least interesting in different ways. 4 & 5 are fine.

Not quite sure off hand how I'd fill out the rest of the list. Trying to think of options more interesting than the Friday the 13th and Halloween both of which (IMO) suffer pretty greatly from repetition as the series drrrrrraaaaaag on.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The first three Omens are great. The fourth is OK, and the remake of #1 stands up pretty well.

My Best-Carey

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I'd say the Alien franchise but I wouldn't classify the two more recent films in the series as horror.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The Child's Play/Chucky franchise might be a good binge. After it runs out of steam with the 3rd, it reinvents itself as horror comedy for a couple of installments. After that gets a little tiring, it switches back to horror with 'Curse', but with an updated, fresh feel. Also, there isn't a really huge stinker in the bunch. The 3rd is the worst, but even that isn't Halloween: Resurrection or Jason X bad. Because of the humorous elements, it's also a franchise that might be more fun to watch with other people.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I can think of some interesting non-franchise/series binges like the horror films of John Carpenter particularly his loose "Apocalypse trilogy" or Stuart Gordon's HP Lovecraft adaptations.

The Hammer/Christopher Lee Dracula films. Certainly a bit formulaic but I dig them.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
That's a really tough (and interesting) question. I'll go with:

1) Hellraiser
The first two films are pretty good, and then it goes to trash quickly, but the films are still kind of fun b-movies.

2) Phantasm
There's really no good film in this franchise, but 1 through 4 are all crazy enough to be fun on rewatch. 5 must be avoided.

3) A Nightmare on Elm Street
Can't agree with @KallioWeHardlyKnewYe trashing part 2, as I think 4 and 5 are worse, and 6 is absolute trash, but otherwise he's right, 2 very good films in this type of franchise is pretty good.

4) Evil Dead
It's only 3 films and a remake, but they're all a lot of fun. In terms of quality, should be top-3 behind the Argento and Romero films.

5) Fulci's Gates of Hell trilogy
Not for everyone. The second film is pretty good, the other two are fun.

6) Halloween / Friday the 13th
I'm not a big fan of the first Halloween, but I really like parts 2 and 3. After that it goes nowhere fast, and the mixed timelines starting with H20 (trash, especially its sequel) and the 2018 rebooth (better) don't help much. I like the Zombie remakes. Toss up here with the F13 franchise, where most of the films are more fun (except the terrible remake), but it's just so dumb.

7) The Romero living dead films
In terms of quality, put that on top of the list. You might want to limit yourself to the original trilogy, as the drop is steep after that, but these three first films rank individually very highly here.

8) Argento's The Three Mothers
These films are rarely seen together, but they should. Suspiria is a rare mix of beautiful aesthetics and horror efficiency (and the remake is great as well), and Inferno is too a very interesting film, even if lesser known. The third entry is a weaker link, but these first two are must-watch. Like the Romero films, they're very good, and super fun to rewatch too, but more demanding so maybe less appropriate for a binge.

edit: 9) Re-Animator
Just read @KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 's suggestion for the Gordon films (and yes, if it counts, that's #1!), and I'm adding this here at nine - first 2 films are great fun, third one is terrible.

10) Amityville
I think part 1 is an ok film, and part 3 has only one great scene, but I adore part 2. The problem is that everything that comes after that is unwatchable. Any film can put "Amityville" in their title, and some of the latest entries will only make you wish for a quick death - even a painful one would be better than some of these turds. Just stop at 3 and it's a fun franchise.

11) The Exorcist
Just watched them all again recently. The films really don't work well together. 1 and 3 are very good, and should be considered a pair. The others can all be forgotten, it's like they didn't understand the first film.

I wish I could put some of the more recent franchises, but none of them really hooked me up. I'll see what others recommend and might give one another shot. I'm sure I'm forgetting something real fun too... almost put The Toxic Avenger, but nah.... :)

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I like Nightmare 2! Super interesting for many reasons but I've always gotten the impression it's not widely liked by the fans.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Boris Karloff's Universal Frankenstein trilogy
Christopher Lee's Hammer Dracula series
Alien franchise
Nightmare on Elm Street franchise
Lon Chaney's Universal Wolf Man series

Nightwatch/Daywatch (Russian) is fun, but only two films

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There aren't really a ton of horror franchises. More actors associated with those kinds of roles. Christopher Lee was mentioned. Vincent Price is another good one.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
For sure, if you're into binging and purging. After you binge that trilogy, you'll want to purge it from your memory. ;)

:laugh:

While it’s not without it’s flaws, I’ll take Fulci’s trilogy all day everyday (and twice on Sunday) over any of today’s uninspired horror garbage. ;)

I’m probably biased though as I’ve owned multiple copies of each of the three films throughout the years. :laugh:

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
That's a really tough (and interesting) question. I'll go with:

4) Evil Dead
It's only 3 films and a remake, but they're all a lot of fun. In terms of quality, should be top-3 behind the Argento and Romero films.

How could I forget about the Evil Dead series?! That's #1 for me. Three great movies, and even the remake was serviceable.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
For sure, if you're into binging and purging. After you binge that trilogy, you'll want to purge it from your memory. ;)
c681f74fe8c99a42676285b3bf1a75a9.gif

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

It's funny because I don't actually think of the series in that way ... as a series, I guess. But it does make sense.

Silence of the Lambs' greatness is generally unquestioned. I personally love Manhunter as well and the Hannibal TV series, if someone REALLY wants to commit, is fantastic.

The other three movies don't do much for me though I've been tempted on occasion to revisit Hannibal.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Pretty interesting stuff. I wonder if I renamed this which horror franchise has the best sequels and see if the answers would be drastically different. I wonder if there were any uncovered bases yet here either.

Phantasm is an interesting movie franchise I've never been sure how to look at or categorize or even rank on a quality scale after seeing the first one. They are kind of different types of horror movies.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
It's funny because I don't actually think of the series in that way ... as a series, I guess. But it does make sense.

Silence of the Lambs' greatness is generally unquestioned. I personally love Manhunter as well and the Hannibal TV series, if someone REALLY wants to commit, is fantastic.

The other three movies don't do much for me though I've been tempted on occasion to revisit Hannibal.

I liked Manhunter when I saw it (so long ago), but I must admit I've never seen any of the films/series that came after Silence of the Lambs.

Pretty interesting stuff. I wonder if I renamed this which horror franchise has the best sequels and see if the answers would be drastically different. I wonder if there were any uncovered bases yet here either.

Phantasm is an interesting movie franchise I've never been sure how to look at or categorize or even rank on a quality scale after seeing the first one. They are kind of different types of horror movies.

If you're looking for the best sequel (as in just #2 of the series), it's certainly Dawn of the Dead, followed for me by Amityville II: The Possession. Halloween II and Hellbound: Hellraiser II are also great sequels. If you're looking for something that never goes to trash... Evil Dead is probably the only suitable answer. The Gates of Hell films are up there too. I think that in terms of consistency, the more recent series do a lot better than the classic ones.

edit: the second Saw film was crapped on by everyone but I thought it was a pretty good sequel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad