Top 5 coaches in Leafs' history

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
It was sad seeing Pat Quinn fired after the 06 season, that Leaf team wasn't bad, they missed the playoffs by 1 point and the new shoot out rule was the sole reason for missing.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
I don't think people give Pat Quinn the credit he deserves. Being coach and GM and bringing in the right mix of players holding the core together for the most part of 6 seasons was pretty amazing in its self.

I guess when you die you suddenly are worth something, like a Picasso or a Michelangelo. He got the most out of his players year after year, it was probably the last great era for me as being a leaf fan, they gave you something weather that be hope or something else who knows, but for me it hasn't been the same.

It was really sad the way they pushed Quinn out the door, Gutted his team so he would fail so they had an excuse to fire him so they could bring in the next great gm. The only reason he wasn't fired a year earlier was because of the Olympic gold.

That Maple Leaf team and the team in general over the next 5-7 years or so was put into rune because of Richard Peddie and his strive to bring in a New GM and how he could make the team as un successful as possible to make Quinn fail, so the team could fire him.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
It was sad seeing Pat Quinn fired after the 06 season, that Leaf team wasn't bad, they missed the playoffs by 1 point and the new shoot out rule was the sole reason for missing.

Up until his death in November, I wanted Pat Quinn to return as our Leafs head coach, all the while it was unknown to me he was very sick!

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Wilson and Carlyle just make you appreciate what Quinn did all the more. It's just ridiculous that he got removed after missing the playoffs by such a small margin.

Certainly the best Leaf coach that I watched. I'm sure we've had amazing ones over the team's history, but Quinn deserves all the praise he gets.

I thought the same before he passed away and even now.

hockeyfanz*

Wilson and Carlyle just make you appreciate what Quinn did all the more. It's just ridiculous that he got removed after missing the playoffs by such a small margin.

Certainly the best Leaf coach that I watched. I'm sure we've had amazing ones over the team's history, but Quinn deserves all the praise he gets.

Great coach...loved him. Also Burns and Roger Neilson for me. All great coaches and classy individuals. Carried themselves well.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

And yet, Wilson and Carlyle are kept on, and on, and on, never making the playoffs (except in a lock out shortened season). Not to mention with contract extensions for both to boot!

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Maple Lodge Farms, MLSE, Richard Peddie, Cliff Fletcher all hurt this team significantly and for years and years.

Dave Morrison hasn't helped very much either. Our drafting is awful. Problem is I don't have much faith that the MLSE board will keep the right people here long term.

Best Leafs coaches:

Pat Burns
Pat Quinn
Roger Nielsen
Red Kelly (Love the pyramid power under the benches during the 1976 playoff series against the Flyers)
Punch

silentbob37*

Quinn shouldn't even be on the list. Replace him with Nielson

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Given what he did with a team in a league that has 24 more teams than when the last team won the cup, I gave him number one and I'm sure many will agree.

Probably true. Many will probably agree with you. But lots of us won't. The Leafs have had two dynasties, not just single years with cups, but an era of repeated dominance. They have had two coaches inducted into the Hall of Fame for what they accomplished specifically as Leafs. At their peaks, they were number one, the most successful coaches in their profession. That far, far outstretches a Leafs stint without even a finals appearance. Hap Day and Punch Imlach are one and two.

CalgaryLeaf*

Hap Day has got to be #1 because he won 5 Cups...Quinn didn't win a Cup so he'd be down the list somewhat...Imlach would be #2 because he won 4 Cups.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATBLeafsTyler

Dec 15, 2014
Newmarket, Ontario
Probably could have put Burns higher.

I thought about Neilson and yeah I know he was a great, innovative coach and did some good things for the Leafs like taking them to the conference finals in his first year, but he was only there for a couple years. I'm sure if he coached more (which he should have) he would easily have made the list. Stupid Ballard.

silentbob37*

Quinn shouldn't even be on the list. Replace him with Nielson

Did Nielsen win a Cup in Toronto?

Is that all that goes into being a good coach

The thing is, Quinn wasn't a good coach here. He played guys like Lumme instead of giving young players like colaiacovo ice time. One year in the playoffs he refused to line match and very predicable roled 4 lines, the flyers took him apart for it, the next year he tried line matching and again they out coached him by forcing unfavourable match ups and he wouldn't react etc....

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

As great as Quinn was, not only was the team in a decline but the Leafs had no real prospects that he could bring up . The team was starting getting old at that point , Sundin was already 35 and we had Belfour as our goalie with no replacements in sight . The team didn't have a great defensive core , Kaberle , McCabe then a huge drop in Klee , Khavanov , Berg, Belak , and Richardson. The NHL would pass Quinn by anyways , rule changes , gamestyle became significantly quicker . There can't be a coincidence that Quinn didn't really get much of a chance at coaching once he was let go from the Leafs, despite his good numbers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad