Top 5 centers in the NHL?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Not unreasonable to rank Matthews as a top 5 C, though debatable.

9th in scoring for centers, Draisatl is ahead but he played on McDavids wing most of the year so really 8th. He's better defensively than a few guys ahead of him, 2nd in goals, and in the top 5 in takeaways.

It is unreasonable. He ranked 14th among centers in p/gp.

Scholarships

10 Piece
Apr 3, 2016
Crosby
McDavid
Malkin
Backstrom
Seguin

Tavares Backstrom Seguin are all pretty much ranked the same on my list

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I would rank the top 4 as follows, but in no particular order: Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, and Matthews. I really don't think there should be any debate as to these four players being in the top 4. I say this as a non-Penguins, Toronto, and Oilers fan.

After that, I think there is a second tier of centers who are established no. 1 centers for one reason or another, whether its possession, scoring, winning cups, defensive play etc., such as Toews, Kopitar, Tavares, Bergeron, Thornton.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Haha what kind of cherry picking is this. You picked one thing and that's it? Nevermind the other stats?

How many centers played with rookies or a Hyman level player all year? No one above Matthews in points.

I mean, p/gp is pretty damn significant and telling of a player's offensive ability. 14th is not even close to top five.

You can put him up there if you want, but it's a reach.

Next year might be a different story.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Crosby
McDavid
Malkin
Getzlaf
Bergeron

HM:
Seguin, Tavares, Scheifele, Stamkos, Eichel, Kopitar, Backstrom, Matthews

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
Not unreasonable to rank Matthews as a top 5 C, though debatable.

9th in scoring for centers, Draisatl is ahead but he played on McDavids wing most of the year so really 8th. He's better defensively than a few guys ahead of him, 2nd in goals, and in the top 5 in takeaways.

Everyone ahead of him also played against 1st line competition.

Matthews has played against garbage competition along with some of the easiest zone starts in the NHL.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Crosby, McDavid, and Malkin are the three locks. After that, you've probably got a half dozen or so that have arguments for taking up spots #4 and #5 on the list.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I would rank the top 4 as follows, but in no particular order: Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, and Matthews. I really don't think there should be any debate as to these four players being in the top 4. I say this as a non-Penguins, Toronto, and Oilers fan.

After that, I think there is a second tier of centers who are established no. 1 centers for one reason or another, whether its possession, scoring, winning cups, defensive play etc., such as Toews, Kopitar, Tavares, Bergeron, Thornton.

How is Matthews in that category? He might be one day but he definitely isnt there yet and saying its not debatable is ridiculous.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I see a few of you have Scheifele listed at least with honorable mentions, which I can get behind. I know he's not quite a top five yet. But those that left him off the HM lists, did you forget about him or are you not convinced yet? I'm honestly just curious.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Tavares, Getzlaf.

6-10 (Interchangeable)
Backstrom, Eichel, Seguin, Kopitar, Stamkos

Hm:
Schiefele, Johansen, Barkov, Giroux, Zetterberg, Bergeron, Toews

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad