Top 5 centers in the NHL?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Eichel is better than Matthews right now, so why would it be crazy for Eichel to be in the conversation next year?

Well other than Matthews currently being better, he's is going to improve a lot for next year. I don't see the same immediate improvement from Eichel, although I do see it eventually

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Mother****ers act like they forgot about Kopitar. The guy has a bad season on a pretty crappy team and he's not even an honorable mention? He won the Selke last year. He'll be back next year.

Thats the main boards for you. Kopitar is a top10 C in my book. I don't know about top 5, but I sure wouldn't be so naive to rank a few sophomore players over him. I mesn, who would? Oh wait.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Crosby
McDavid
Malkin
Tavares
Bergeron
Seguin
Getzlaf
Stamkos
Scheifele
Matthews
Backstrom
Kopitar
Eichel
Barkov
Toews

I have Matthews at 10 and he really could be anywhere from 4-15 reasonably. People arguing that a rookie who finished 2nd in goals scored (first in EV goals) while playing on a line with 2 other rookies and lead his team from last place to a playoff spot does not warrant being in the conversation are making complete fools out of themselves in this thread

Thank you. I don't understand why some people get so offended by seeing Matthews name. His play definitely warrants it.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Tavares should be top 5 consider who have been his wingers over the years. Does not have a true 1st line winger on his side so far in his career. You only have to interview coaches around the league who always talk highly of him and put their top 2 D & top 2 checking forwards to play against him every single game. They frequently ignore his wingers and just check him to death each shift. If Isles had more natural snipers at R point and up front, his stat will be a lot higher than you have seen on the scoreboard. His defensive plays also improved much last 2 seasons and is an effective PK guy for the Isles last season.

No OV, Benn, Marchand, Perry, Laine on his line. He is definitely not as good as McDavid, Crosby, and Malkin but otherwise should be rated above the other centers for now (maybe below Getzlaf but close). Of course, this may change over the next 3 years with Matthews and Eichel likely passing him in the rating.

Last edited:

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Crosby
McDavid
Malkin
Getzlaf
Tavares

Seguin
Backstrom
Schiefele
Matthews