Top 40 Canucks - Round 2 Discussion/Vote

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
IMPORTANT NOTE: Post 2 of each thread will contain the players eligible for the round, as well as the time period of which voting will be open.

Rules and Procedures:

• The top 10-14 ranked players from the aggregate list will be posted in a thread
  • Players will be listed in alphabetical order to avoid creating bias
  • Player merits and rankings will be open for discussion and debate for a period of at least five (5) days. Administrators may extend the discussion period if it remains active
  • Final voting will occur for two (2) days, via PM. Everyone ranks their top 10 players.
  • Top 5 players will be added to the list
  • Final results will be posted and the process repeated until a list of 60 wingers is obtained. 5 Players per round, 1 round per week, should be an 8-week process.
  • If there are major breaks in the voting totals, we may add more or less than the targeted 5 players in certain rounds
  • The number of players available for discussion at once will depend on natural breaks in the aggregate list.

Additionally, there are a couple guidelines we'd ask that everyone agree to abide by:
  • Please try to stay on-topic in the thread
  • Please remember that this is a debate on opinions and there is no right or wrong. Please try to avoid words like "stupid" "dumb" "wrong" "sophistry" etc. when debating.
  • Please treat other debaters with respect
  • Please don't be a wallflower. All eligible voters are VERY HIGHLY encouraged to be active participants in the debate.
  • Please maintain an open mind. The purpose of the debate is to convince others that your views are more valid. If nobody is willing to accept their opinions as flexible there really is no point in debating.

Eliglible Voters (8):
Alan Jackson, Art of Sedinery, Barney Gumble, Hardyvan123, kmad, MS, Regal, vadim sharifijanov

With only a handful of eligible voters, it is crucial that at very least everyone votes in each round.

All posters are encouraged to participate in the debates and discussions, but only those listed above will be eligible for the final votes.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Round 1 will begin now and debates are scheduled to run through Sunday, February 1st at 6PM PST. You may PM votes to myself starting on Saturday, January 31st.

You will rank your Top 10 players.

I will be sending out confirmations when we receive ballots from the voters. Any voter who does not get a confirmation within 24 hours of submitting a ballot should assume I never received it and should resubmit it and post in this thread saying they did so.

Here are the candidates, listed alphabetically:

Alex Burrows
Andre Boudrias
Cliff Ronning
Greg Adams
Harold Snepsts
Jyrki Lumme
Kirk McLean
Mattias Ohlund
Ryan Kesler
Stan Smyl
Thomas Gradin
Todd Bertuzzi
Tony Tanti

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Interesting to have Adams and Ronning but not Courtnall, most people have them almost inseparable

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I'm guessing part of it has to do with time spent as a Canuck.

Well yeah, that's the whole point of the list, right?

Courtnall wasn't around as long as the other two but I would say the seasons he was here for were more productive on average.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Round 1 will begin now and debates are scheduled to run through Sunday, February 1st at 6PM PST. You may PM votes to myself starting on Saturday, January 31st.

You will rank your Top 10 players.

I will be sending out confirmations when we receive ballots from the voters. Any voter who does not get a confirmation within 24 hours of submitting a ballot should assume I never received it and should resubmit it and post in this thread saying they did so.

Here are the candidates, listed alphabetically:

Alex Burrows
Andre Boudrias
Cliff Ronning
Greg Adams
Harold Snepsts
Jyrki Lumme
Kirk McLean
Mattias Ohlund
Ryan Kesler
Stan Smyl
Thomas Gradin
Todd Bertuzzi
Tony Tanti

I'm a little surprised to see Snepsts here already and ahead of Lidster and Bieska as well.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'm a little surprised to see Snepsts here already and ahead of Lidster and Bieska as well.

What was your view of Snepsts when he was with the team Hardy? His longevity is impressive and he seemed to be quite important in '82. I've heard various reports on his actual skill level from defensive-fighter type #4-5 to very solid defensive #2-3 type. I'm surprised you mentioned Bieksa as a guy you'd put in front though. I think he's been too up and down in his career to be that high. I had all of Jovo, Hamhuis and Salo easily higher, with Edler one spot above.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Well yeah, that's the whole point of the list, right?

Courtnall wasn't around as long as the other two but I would say the seasons he was here for were more productive on average.

I think that's what he meant.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah.....for example, Paul Reinhart was arguably one of the best D ever to suit up as a Canuck; but his limited time as a Canuck will really impact his ranking (some might not even have him in the top 60)

Agreed on Reinhart. I have Willie Mitchell on the list as well, pretty close to Reinhart.

I originally thought I was going to have Reinhart pretty high despite only having two seasons, but I decided I was going to put a heavy emphasis on the team's success during the player's tenure.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What was your view of Snepsts when he was with the team Hardy? His longevity is impressive and he seemed to be quite important in '82. I've heard various reports on his actual skill level from defensive-fighter type #4-5 to very solid defensive #2-3 type. I'm surprised you mentioned Bieksa as a guy you'd put in front though. I think he's been too up and down in his career to be that high. I had all of Jovo, Hamhuis and Salo easily higher, with Edler one spot above.

Post 1983 or so he was a gritty #5 type.

Through his early career, he was pretty clearly at worst a high-end #2 defensive defender. Played in 2 All-Star games. Was unquestionably the #1 defender on the 1982 Finals team with McCarthy injured.

I posted this video in the preliminary discussion, but for some perspective on how good 1977-82 Snepsts was, this 1982 Finals game is a pretty good starting place :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0_fpubPL10

Must play close to 30 minutes in regulation and is all over the ice.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
curious: did anybody have courtnall ahead of either adams or ronning? my assumption would be that most would have courtnall a slight, but definite, third.

that said, i think on a per game basis, courtnall was easily the most impactful of the three. and maybe the clutchest goal scorer i've ever seen in a canucks uniform.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
curious: did anybody have courtnall ahead of either adams or ronning? my assumption would be that most would have courtnall a slight, but definite, third.

that said, i think on a per game basis, courtnall was easily the most impactful of the three. and maybe the clutchest goal scorer i've ever seen in a canucks uniform.

I had Courtnall 3rd due to games played, but I could see him being higher. I agree on him being the best of the three on a per game basis, and while his total games played looks rather small, he still had had what was really 4 good years with the team if we count the shortened season as a full year, plus the tail end of another. Ronning only actually played one more season, and while Adams played almost twice the time, he takes a hit in my mind for missing so many games each year.

Speaking of clutch goals though, I was wondering where people had Morrison on their lists. I included him in the mix with this trio, and think he compares pretty favourably to Ronning. He had 6 good years with the team, 3 of which were higher adjusted scoring years than any of Ronning's with the team. Unlike Adams, he was an iron man who played more games and scored more points than the other three. While playing with Naslund and Bertuzzi obviously helped, I don't think he gave up much to Ronning or Courtnall offensively, and was better defensively. He also seemed to come up with a number of big goals, especially compared to his flashier linemates. I guess it shouldn't matter since he's not up to vote yet, but perhaps it should be a consideration on how the other three are voted this round

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

I actually liked him alot, but let's face it the Canucks were a bad team back then and he was a defensive guy on a team that often didn't play well defensively.

Lidster should be higher, Lumme, Bieska too I think.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

I didn't, Geoff was a clutch scorer but his line isn't really that much better than ronning who was hear longer and that's what has him in front.

Playoffs

Courtnall 65-26-35-61
Ronning 72-24-34-58

Regualr season

Ronning 366-112-216-328 .90 PPG
courtnall 292-102-144-246 . 84 PPG

Adams might be in the middle or 2nd not sure yet.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I'd like to hear people's thoughts on Tanti and Boudrias

While I was around to see Boudrias in action as a Canuck - I wasn't even a teenager then so it's tough for me to evaluate him. I have Tanti below Gradin (but not that far off). All Tanti could do is score goals (granted he was very good at that) but he didn't have to same responsibilties as a centerman like Gradin.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
While I was around to see Boudrias in action as a Canuck - I wasn't even a teenager then so it's tough for me to evaluate him. I have Tanti below Gradin (but not that far off). All Tanti could do is score goals (granted he was very good at that) but he didn't have to same responsibilties as a centerman like Gradin.

I echo those thoughts on Tanti, a very skilled goal scorer, basically a tip in guy around the net and Gradin had a more complete game.

I was even younger for Boudrias but he was our first star and was a good 2 way player.

He is 13th all time in Canuck scoring and probably played with worse surrounding talent than most of the guys above him in scoring.

Boudrias will be behind Gradin though and is in the Tanti range (probably slightly above him)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
in the alphabetical first name order that AoS posted them in the OP:

kirk mclean: held all the franchise records until luongo broke them. still the best, or at worst 1a, playoff goalie in franchise history. one elite season, one very very good but let's be real sub-elite season (that '89 vezina nom is a joke; he finished 6th in AST voting), bunch of very good seasons. one ridiculous playoff run. pretty sure he was the first canuck to seriously factor in hart voting, in '92.

matthias ohlund: as i said in the last thread--

i think he has a three year peak as a fringe top ten d-man in the game, and a top five defensive guy in a very defensive era. i don't think lumme was ever close to top ten or top five in any category for d-men. ohlund is the one guy where he's not getting penalized for his team's playoff failures; naslund, bertuzzi, cooke, jovanovski, i look at all those guys and ask: "what the hell did you ever do that was worth remembering?" i'm not sure why ohlund gets a pass from me, but my gut says he deserves that pass, relative to lumme's and hamhuis's contributions to finals runs.

to that i'll add: of all players from that era, including old man linden, artem chubarov, and the three all-stars, seeing that viking patrolling the blue line and just manhandling guys like clockwork is by far what i miss most. i loved peak ohlund so much that i even stopped hoping he'd re-find the offensive game that we saw glimpses of pre-eye injury; it no longer even mattered to me he was so good at what he did.

ryan kesler: incredible defender, borderline elite scorer given his place in the lineup, fringe top ten player at his position at his peak, many years of service, pushed the play, singlehandedly won a playoff round. despite how he left, unquestionably a heart and soul player who bled much blood for this uniform.

stan smyl: almost certainly #1 for me, though i reserve the right for arguments to change my mind. length of tenure, importance of contributions, intangibles; arguably all four other guys here were more elite than him, but other than ohlund none of them contributed for as long. add to that his contributions to team culture, ties to the community, etc., and he gets the boost from me that linden did in round 1.

thomas gradin: very good, steady contributor but never elite; led the team in scoring when they made it to the finals; peak years were probably miscast as a 1st line center when he would have been an elite 2nd line center; starting to think i've overrated him: i always thought of him as our thomas steen, but steen was probably significantly better defensively and had much greater longevity (more on gradin reevaluation below)

the only guy i can see with any possible outside shot at cracking that top five is burrows, but realistically he's #6 at best.

it's a tough round. as i said, i'm coming into this with steamer as the heavy favourite for #1. a lot of that is probably sentimental, but (i'm only speaking for myself here) i think a lot of this project rests on sentimentality and rightfully so.

but there are very good arguments for these five guys to go in almost any order. at their best, no one was better than captain kirk. with all due respect to beast mode kesler, if we count '92 regular season and/or '94 playoffs mclean as his peaks, mclean > kesler, ainec.

objectively, ohlund and smyl have similar length tenures as very good players, probably ridiculously underrated outside of vancouver, and for mostly undercompetitive teams. steamer has the obvious intangibles, but matty was a rock. but that said, it seems like we have adjust for era when we determine players' longevity. my gut tells me there's a huge difference between smyl's 13 seasons (10 good ones) and ohlund's 11 seasons (all good ones). it's not just the 100 extra games smyl played, which is basically just his rookie season and post-prime games anyway; it's that 800 games in the 80s is way more impressive than 800 games in the 2000s. in the same way that hitting 1,000 games was a huge accomplishment until the early 90s, but now it's a gold watch. so even if we can eyeball their resumes and say "roughly equal years of quality service," i don't think smyl's and ohlund's tenures are roughly equal at all.

and on that note, the toughest thing in this round is kesler vs. gradin. check this out:

name | games | total goals |total assists | total points
Thomas Gradin | 613 | 197 | 353 | 550
Ryan Kesler | 655 | 182 | 211 | 393

name | games | adjusted goals | adjusted assists | adjusted points
Thomas Gradin | 613 | 155 | 280 | 435
Ryan Kesler | 655 | 201 | 229 | 430

it surprises me that kesler played half a season more than gradin did, but looking at their adjusted stats (an inexact science, obviously, but still), you'd have to think that kesler's all-world defensive game puts him easily ahead of gradin right? but then the sticky wicket of are gradin's 600 1980s games more impressive or do they constitute a longer tenure here than kesler's 600 millennial games?

and then furthermore, as i brought up last time, we have the difficulty of looking at their records objectively and wondering whether gradin and smyl should really be equals.

which is all to say, again, that those five guys could go in any order.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
re-posting my steamer post from last round. (if anyone has objections to me quoting my own previous comments -- as in, "c'mon vadim, we've already read that" -- just say the word.)

on my original list, i had him between daniel and naslund, with luongo ahead of both. smyl is maybe the toughest guy for me this round, because my brain says he should be below all of quinn-era and later guys, but at the same time it's pretty hard to square seven guys from the second half of this franchise's existence going before anyone from the first half.

at the same time, smyl certainly passes the "did something in the playoffs test."

but here's my memory of stan smyl: i remember him at the very end as the captain of the team, but an old guy who didn't really do anything. so one day my dad comes home from a game, this is back when a small business owner could buy a pair of good seats and take an out of town client to a game for a business meeting and get a couple of beers for under $100 total. he gives me the program from the game, which his client bought to send back as a gift for me and my brother. and we're going through that program, which in the back lists the canucks all-time leaders and of course smyl has all the records. so i ask dad: "whoa, tell me about stan smyl. he was good?" because to us he was just this old guy who looked like paul simon.

to this day, i imagine smyl as our version of shane doan, though a much smaller guy obviously. maybe shane doan's ability and inspirational workmanlike leadership in matt cooke's body, with mike keane's pound for pound toughness. the things people say about how hard he played, about him going at much bigger guys and winning those physical battles, how the team fed off him, i take those seriously. how he would fight anyone and hold his own, how he would kill anyone in his own weight class. i know there are a lot of people on this board who look at smyl and are embarrassed by his legacy, embarrassed that we remember him, to them it's a sign of how bad this franchise was until pat quinn took over. but those same people are impressed by markus naslund winning the pearson trophy so i think they and i have a fundamental difference of philosophy about what is memorable and what is shameful.

i didn't see '82 and i'm not that old, but i wasn't born yesterday either. and i think some of my fondness for smyl here is nostalgia for the days of the old coliseum where a small business owner could reasonably take his clients from the island to games for business meetings. but i think those times are important; and insofar as stan smyl was the beating heart of that team back then, what he did on the ice also maybe was representative of the beating heart of a scrappier vancouver that is now long long gone. i don't value that over pavel or henrik, but i also can't put every single "objectively elite" post-'88 canuck ahead of it.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
For me, I think McLean & Smyl have to be 1-2, in whichever order.

After that, I have Ohlund, Kesler, Gradin, Lumme & Snepsts in that next tier, and can be convinced on the order.

As of now, Adams, Bertuzzi and Ronning would round out my top 10 for this group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad