Top 4 pick in 2015 Draft?

2 12 oz Drinks

Or Less
Nov 1, 2011
United States
That would be great in the fantasyland of no salary caps.

Let's be realistic here guys, even if we do land the #1 pick, he's not going to sign.

Any particular reason why that is? In general these people want to play hockey somewhere they''ll get time. Barring a Jack Johnson or Frederik Andersen situation I see no reason why this would happen

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Any particular reason why that is? In general these people want to play hockey somewhere they''ll get time. Barring a Jack Johnson or Frederik Andersen situation I see no reason why this would happen

Nope, just forgot the :sarcasm: at the end of the post.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
we wont be much better than buffalol if staal's out on tuesday

carlolina vs buffalol, this will be the greatest hockey game nbcsn has ever broadcasted

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I still think the only way we'll finish badly enough to guarantee one of the top prospects is either a massive sell off or continued crazy injuries. I don't think either is impossible, but I wouldn't put all your eggs in the elite prospect basket. But worst case, if we suck, we'll get another really good prospect in a really good top ten, and hopefully some other good pieces in a total roster annihilation.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
We're focused on Buffalo in the race to the bottom, but with the free Center Ice preview on TWC, I've seen some really, really bad teams this week. Edmonton is the worst defensive team I've ever seen (including the 2014-15 Canes) and may give up 400 goals this season. Florida is rudderless, again, even moreso than us. And Winnipeg has Maurice behind the bench, so you can never count them out. On the plus side, I think Calgary is much improved, and I think the Rangers and Flyers are better than their early-season records and will compete for playoff spots.

Look, I know the Canes are injured. And I know a lot of people think they will get better as players get healthy. But I just don't think so. I think our core is rotten, and I'm convinced we're in for a bottom five season, no matter who dresses on game nights.

JClaus33

Sep 18, 2013
NC/SC
This is the 1st draft where I am older than all of the guys being drafted, and that scares me very much

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The worst is when you have a player around your age break into the NHL at 18 and stick as a pretty decent player. Jordan Staal is that guy for me.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I got you all beat. I have a son who is older than most everyone drafted this past season.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
alex galchenyuk is 4 months younger than me. all im doing is getting an average gpa at a decent engineering school. everything sux.

Don't worry. That degree will turn into a great job, which depending on the dicipline, will likely be in China, India or Mexico. Look at all the world travel you will get.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Don't worry. That degree will turn into a great job, which depending on the dicipline, will likely be in China, India or Mexico. Look at all the world travel you will get.

Hopefully that degree with turn into a great job, where I go to work everyday doing work I can tolerate, and makes enough that I can put 2 to 4 kids through college.

Travel is for leisure.

I sort of have a "both worlds" situation at home, both my parents have engineering degrees. My dad works from his office at home everyday, and only travels when he HAS to meet a customer. My mom works at RTP and used to travel to Asia and Europe about 2 weeks out of the month (since reduced to around 1 week which she's hugely relieved about). I'd like to be somewhere in between, since I don't want to be so involved that I'm gone all the time, but I don't have the incredible work ethic that my dad does to not be distracted by working at home. I'd love to go to the office in the morning, come home some point at night, and essentially "leave work at work." Not going to put too many constraints on it, because honestly I'd love a job that pays me money, but if there's no travel at all I'd totally be fine.

/offtopicpersonalrant

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Hopefully that degree with turn into a great job, where I go to work everyday doing work I can tolerate, and makes enough that I can put 2 to 4 kids through college.

Travel is for leisure.

No, I meant the JOBS will be in China, India, Mexico..not travel for leisure. :laugh:

I was being somewhat facetious. (only somewhat).

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
You guys are set. Engineering degrees will take you places. I have multiple pre and post grad degrees in both math and physics. Which is why I currently hold down a job as a bartender :D

Life as a grad school nerd isn't as easy as, nor as glamorous as "The Big Bang Theory" would have you believe :sarcasm:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Travis Konecny. Don't forget that name. I think this draft is 10 deep in players that project to be first line talents. Zero joke. He's not having the explosive type of year you would expect from a Top 5 pick, but he's that kind of talent for sure. There are a *lot* of really interesting prospects this draft.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Travis Konecny. Don't forget that name. I think this draft is 10 deep in players that project to be first line talents. Zero joke. He's not having the explosive type of year you would expect from a Top 5 pick, but he's that kind of talent for sure. There are a *lot* of really interesting prospects this draft.

Really not a fan of Konecny. He's slipping in a lot of places. I'd much prefer Barzal or Connor.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
3-7 is a reasonable expectation this year. If that's the goal we really need to keep piling on the losses now. Once everyone is healthy and the ball starts rolling, were probably at .500 or slightly better.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
No, I meant the JOBS will be in China, India, Mexico..not travel for leisure. :laugh:

I was being somewhat facetious. (only somewhat).

(Responding to a thread from a month ago, heh.)

I'm an executive for a US-based software company. We're looking for multiple Python/Javascript programmers right now. So is everyone I know at every software company I know.

This meme that all the jobs are going overseas is about as wrong as it gets. The ****** jobs are, sure -- but if you've got talent and drive (and mostly drive), you can get a great job in the US. If you've got a lot of talent and drive, you can go to the Bay Area and make 2-3x what you can make here.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
(Responding to a thread from a month ago, heh.)

I'm an executive for a US-based software company. We're looking for multiple Python/Javascript programmers right now. So is everyone I know at every software company I know.

This meme that all the jobs are going overseas is about as wrong as it gets. The ****** jobs are, sure -- but if you've got talent and drive (and mostly drive), you can get a great job in the US. If you've got a lot of talent and drive, you can go to the Bay Area and make 2-3x what you can make here.

I know, I was stating that "somewhat" in jest, as I stated, since it also depends on the field. There will always be a demand for certain high tech jobs in the US (such as software, design, etc...). There are also a lot of jobs going overseas (hardware development and mfg., support, even some design, etc...) Certainly if one has talent and drive, they won't have an issue getting a job in the US.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad