Top 4 pick in 2015 Draft?

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Corey Pronman did his Top 30 prospects list for the 2015 draft and it looks to me that -- similar to 2013 -- there is a clear drop-off after No. 4. Which of course means we'll be picking fifth. I honestly don't think we can finish higher than 28th overall and slip one spot losing the lottery, so we should get one of these guys.

Linky (ESPN Insider required)

1. Connor McDavid, C, Erie (OHL)
Date of birth: 01/13/97
2013-14 stats: 56 games played | 28 goals | 71 assists

To restate the important section of my scouting report, McDavid is special and the clear No. 1. Jack Eichel would be a good candidate to go first overall in a standard draft, as he's an elite prospect, but McDavid is a level above elite.

2. Jack Eichel, C, Boston University (NCAA, Hockey East)
DOB: 10/28/96
2013-14 stats: 24 GP | 20 G | 25 A

Eichel's pure skill level with the puck is elite, and he can make defensemen look silly on a regular basis. At 6-foot-2 and nearly 200 pounds, Eichel also uses his body well to evade pressure and make the tough offensive plays that some smaller players aren't able to handle. He isn't a blazing skater, but his skating is commonly described as "deceptive" in terms of speed and agility.

3. Oliver Kylington, D, Farjestad (SHL)
DOB: 05/19/97
2013-14 stats: 32 GP | 2 G | 4 A

Kylington is the youngest goal scorer in SHL history and one of the best 16-year-old defensemen that league has seen in the modern era. His skating ability is off the charts, and he's a regular threat to lead the offensive attack into the opposing zone. He also has the IQ to be effective at both ends of the rink. He's very advanced for his age, but continued adjustments to the faster pace of pro hockey could elevate him to a higher level of prospect status.

4. Noah Hanifin, D, Boston College (NCAA, Hockey East)
DOB: 01/25/97
2013-14 stats: 31 GP | 6 G | 14 A

The Massachusetts native has an aggressive nature to his game. When the puck is on his stick, he has the confidence that he can make something happen, and often does. His tremendous skating and offensive creativity allow him to be a threat on the rush, and he is adept at bringing the puck out of the zone. When you couple that with a very developed frame for his age and a commitment to get on back on D, it makes Hanifin an elite prospect.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Of course he has Hanifin below Kylington. Just ESPN being ESPN.

-Said the guy who knows next to nothing about this draft beyond Eichel and McDavid.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
We'll be one of the bottom two teams for half the season, then when the pressure is off, and when teams consistently throw their back-up goalies at the Canes, they'll win enough to pick 5th-8th. Rinse and repeat.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
We should probably be discussing ways of moving up in the draft, since we're already guaranteed 5-7.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
At 5th. Strome would be my pick.

But I think we have what it takes for McDavid

Strome, Zacha, or Barzal here, but don't sleep on White either. He put up huge numbers with the US juniors last year and if he can keep producing without Eichel he'll skyrocket in the draft rankings.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Strome, Zacha, or Barzal here, but don't sleep on White either. He put up huge numbers with the US juniors last year and if he can keep producing without Eichel he'll skyrocket in the draft rankings.

Zacha is my 2nd pick if we fall out of the top 4. White could be a dark horse of the draft.

But we really need Eichel or McDavid, though Hanifin / Fluery on D going forward would put us in Nashville territory for D.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
If they got McDavid this year, I wonder if a selloff would even be a necessity. Come 15-16, the roster would look pretty amazing as is.

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Skinner-McDavid-Lindholm
Gerbe-Staal-???
???-Rask/Nash-???

Faulk-Sekera
???-???
Fleury-Murphy

Eric and Alex would be the only guys in their 30's I think. Would be something like what Tampa did, as they rebuilt with Hedman/Stamkos while keeping St. Louis and Lecavlier.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If we do draft McDavid, we should get rid of most of the "core" group and build around McDavid. The last thing this team needs is for their #1 overall draft pick to be getting pointers from Eric Staal or Jay Harrison.

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL

Keep on producing without Eichel? They never played together ... They were on different teams lol.

2 12 oz Drinks

Or Less
Nov 1, 2011
United States
I really don't see a way that we're gonna get McDavid or Eichel. I get that we're bad and injured, but I seriously don't see how we will be worse than Buffalo considering the fact that this team isn't going to tank anywhere near the level they are now. I could see us picking at 3 or 4 though.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
If we keep the players that have clearly adjusted to the losing culture of the last five years, yeah, we'll become the Oilers.

Losing culture is nonsense talk. What the Oiler's "Losing Culture" is, is a bunch of one way forwards, below average defense, and below average goaltending. They lose because they aren't icing a team that can win.

The Canes lose, because every year, we trot out at most 2 or 3 top 4 dmen, and a 3-6 guys in our top 9 who can't score 10 goals.

I really don't see a way that we're gonna get McDavid or Eichel. I get that we're bad and injured, but I seriously don't see how we will be worse than Buffalo considering the fact that this team isn't going to tank anywhere near the level they are now. I could see us picking at 3 or 4 though.

Let's wait and see what the story is with Eric and Hainsey. They'll be icing a bottom 3 lineup on Tuesday. A couple more guys go down, and they'll easily be in frontrunner status for McDavid.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net

Well, they don't have to be worse than Buffalo to get one of the two. If these injuries persist I think the Canes can certainly give any of the other bottom feeders a good run.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Call me crazy, but if we miss on Eichel and McDavid yet are able to pick up Hanifin, that may work out for the team better in the long run. With Hanifin, Faulk, Fleury and Murphy (perhaps Sekera and Hainsey) we'd finally have the building blocks for a sustainably good blueline.

With a competent, young defensive corps our fwd group of E Staal, J Staal, Semin, Skinner and Lindholm ought to be able to make a little bit of noise...if they stay healthy...even if they don't...look at NAS, they're fwd lines were horrible, but in the age of Weber and Suter, they consistently made the playoffs...

P.S.-if you have the opportunity to draft either of Eichel or McDavid...you do it, no questions asked...

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Losing culture is nonsense talk. What the Oiler's "Losing Culture" is, is a bunch of one way forwards, below average defense, and below average goaltending. They lose because they aren't icing a team that can win.

The Canes lose, because every year, we trot out at most 2 or 3 top 4 dmen, and a 3-6 guys in our top 9 who can't score 10 goals.

There's enough evidence from players, coaches, general managers, whathaveyou from various teams across all sports that says a losing culture is a very real thing.

If a team loses a lot over a good period of time, losses become "the norm" and are almost seen as an inevitable outcome. And since it's seen as inevitable, it becomes almost acceptable in the minds of the players. Obviously, they'll still play to win, but if they lose, it doesn't affect them as much as it would a team that's used to winning.

And obviously, that's the wrong mindset to have. Losing should never become acceptable to a professional athlete. As soon as it is, they're essentially damaged goods until they can get out of that mindset.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Call me crazy, but if we miss on Eichel and McDavid yet are able to pick up Hanifin, that may work out for the team better in the long run. With Hanifin, Faulk, Fleury and Murphy (perhaps Sekera and Hainsey) we'd finally have the building blocks for a sustainably good blueline.

With a competent, young defensive corps our fwd group of E Staal, J Staal, Semin, Skinner and Lindholm ought to be able to make a little bit of noise...if they stay healthy...even if they don't...look at NAS, they're fwd lines were horrible, but in the age of Weber and Suter, they consistently made the playoffs...

P.S.-if you have the opportunity to draft either of Eichel or McDavid...you do it, no questions asked...

That would be great in the fantasyland of no salary caps.

Let's be realistic here guys, even if we do land the #1 pick, he's not going to sign.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I realize the rules have changed, but in the last 5 drafts, the lottery was only won by the worst team 1 time. The 2nd worst team won 3 of them.

2014: FLA (#2) won
2013: COL (#2) won
2012: EDM (#2) won
2011: NJD (#8) won
2010: EDM (#1) won

The odds for for 2015? Worst team: 20%; 2nd Worst team: 13.5%

So there is a 66.5% chance that a team other than the worst or 2nd worst teams will pick 1st. And in 2016, the lottery is being used to decide the 1st, 2nd and 3rd pick in the draft, so the "worst" team has a chance to pick 4th, which I think is pretty ridiculous.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I realize the rules have changed, but in the last 5 drafts, the lottery was only won by the worst team 1 time. The 2nd worst team won 3 of them.

2014: FLA (#2) won
2013: COL (#2) won
2012: EDM (#2) won
2011: NJD (#8) won
2010: EDM (#1) won

The odds for for 2015? Worst team: 20%; 2nd Worst team: 13.5%

So there is a 66.5% chance that a team other than the worst or 2nd worst teams will pick 1st. And in 2016, the lottery is being used to decide the 1st, 2nd and 3rd pick in the draft, so the "worst" team has a chance to pick 4th, which I think is pretty ridiculous.

The worst team should be guaranteed a top 3 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad