Value of: Top 4 LHD to New Jersey

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Our RHDs are Manson, Montour and Welinski. I'm a fan of Severson but I don't think RHD is a pressing need.

I think our biggest need is skilled forwards. I'm surprised to see Zacha and McLeod on the list; have they fallen from grace?

No. Including them on the list is just us being realistic, considering the caliber of defenseman we’re looking for.

As I said on the last page, I think Zacha would be moved before McLeod. I’d be very, very intrigued by a Zacha+ for Fowler trade.

Since a RHD like Severson is not a need, is there anything more from Ana. fans on Zacha + for Fowler?

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Since a RHD like Severson is not a need, is there anything more from Ana. fans on Zacha + for Fowler?

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that ANA trade Fowler, but discussing value is always interesting.

ANA does have quite a few promising LHDs in the pipeline (Pettersson, Larsson and Mahura) but when/if they'll ever be ready for top 4 minutes is anybody's guess. Until then, ANA can't really part ways with Fowler if they wish to contend/make the playoffs.

Based on previous posts, I assume asking for one of Zacha/McLeod and your first this year (17th) is too much?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that ANA trade Fowler, but discussing value is always interesting.

ANA does have quite a few promising LHDs in the pipeline (Pettersson, Larsson and Mahura) but when/if they'll ever be ready for top 4 minutes is anybody's guess. Until then, ANA can't really part ways with Fowler if they wish to contend/make the playoffs.

Based on previous posts, I assume asking for one of Zacha/McLeod and your first this year (17th) is too much?

I would do Zacha+17OA for Fowler in a nanosecond.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think hitting on Bratt, Hall, and Hischier has also made you brave, and has you questioning Zacha in contrast to them. It's been a long time since NJ has had that type of offensive punch, or at least that type of potential.

I would consider moving Brodin for Zacha+1st, but only after Suter's health is OK'ed. Don't think the trade would move the needle for the Wild, though. Zacha would be just another MOR player for MN to complain about.

I don’t compare Zacha to those three at all. There’s just no reason to. I certainly don’t “question” Zacha or his upside either... this is simply a value for value deal.

I expected the inevitable “uhhh if he’s so good then why move a former top-10 pick?”... my answer is, our need for a reliable top-4 LHD has gotten that dire. Don’t let that distract you from the fact that Zacha is bluechip as ****.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I would do either of them and our first for Fowler instantly. Would prefer to send McLeod but would send Zacha if need be.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don’t compare Zacha to those three at all. There’s just no reason to. I certainly don’t “question” Zacha or his upside either... this is simply a value for value deal.

I expected the inevitable “uhhh if he’s so good then why move a former top-10 pick?”... my answer is, our need for a reliable top-4 LHD has gotten that dire. Don’t let that distract you from the fact that Zacha is bluechip as ****.
Sorry, but there is no proof of that. That you don't question his upside says more about you than it does Zacha. He has been, clearly, unimpressive so far in the NHL. Whether he figures it out or not is completely open to question.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Sorry, but there is no proof of that. That you don't question his upside says more about you than it does Zacha. He has been, clearly, unimpressive so far in the NHL. Whether he figures it out or not is completely open to question.

thats fair, but he has improved pretty significantly each season. This year, he improved his defensive play/PK ability and his ES scoring nearly doubled.

I doubt he'll ever be a top line player, but I think he will be a good middle 6 forward for a long time

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND

What about a trade for Pettersson?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Your previous statement implied that I question Zacha in comparison to the Nico/Bratt/Butcher group, which is what I was referring to. I don’t do that, because I know different players with different play styles develop on different timelines.

His stat sheet has been unimpressive, and it doesn’t help his case that he posted nearly identical numbers this year compared to last. But as someone who watches every game, he is visibly turning a corner. I’d love to keep him and see this through, but our organizational needs are now elsewhere.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I would do Zacha+17OA for Fowler in a nanosecond.

I would do either of them and our first for Fowler instantly. Would prefer to send McLeod but would send Zacha if need be.

Interesting. That would mean the asking price is too low. :laugh:

What about a trade for Pettersson?

ANA desperately needs cheap and capable depth. We have 23.75M tied up in Perry, Getzlaf and Kesler for 3-4 more years. Gibson, Henrique and Silfverberg have one more year left on their deals. Ritchie, Grant, Kase, Montour and Welinski need new contracts for next season (assuming they all return).

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I really don't know what to make of Zacha at this point. Like, I'd give up Brodin for the Platonic ideal of Pavel Zacha, but the shadow-Zacha that plays in the actual NHL is hard for me to figure out.

I can't agree more. The guy came into the pre-season and camp looking like Anze Kopitar. Assertive, dominant along the boards, skates well, sees the ice very well and makes excellent passes. He then got nicked up or something and just lost his edge -

He was valuable as a 20 year old #2 C focusing on his defensive side of the game could possibly be, and their are those one-in-every-10-game glimpses of excellence, but it just hasn't come together for him yet.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
mcleod isn't untouchable, but he's the closest thing to it. but zacha can **** off for the right price

Zacha just turned 21, is a big body guy and has actually played in the league, but McLeod is untouchable? Talk about 'bird in the bush worth two in the hand" backwards sort of thinking...

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
What would devils fans offer for TJ Brodie?

Tough question. I like his game but every time I seem to turn the Flames game on TV he's giving the puck away - Where do you think he is in development?

My fellow Devils fans probably like the idea of offensive defensemen; but right now we're looking for stability and replacing Andy Greene - not adding another Vatanan/Severson/Moore clusterf*** of mayhem and instability - so although I like Brodie, I'm not sure if he's really the exact fit. I am impressed with all of the suggestions so far on this thread... Martinez/Fowler might be closer to the 'steadiness'.

What are the Flames looking for?

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Hanafan for Nico. Canes get a low end up and coming 1C. NJ gets a top 4 dman with potential star status. A win/win for both teams. Going to have to anti up if you guys truly want a top 4 LHD that is worthwhile.
Shouldn't you know how to spell Hanifin's name at the very least for people to take you seriously?

This trade does offset the abysmal one offered on the first page though.

Change of scenery might be good.

Zacha
2018 first round pick (17th overall)
2019 second round pick

for

Hanifin

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Interesting. That would mean the asking price is too low. :laugh:

ANA desperately needs cheap and capable depth. We have 23.75M tied up in Perry, Getzlaf and Kesler for 3-4 more years. Gibson, Henrique and Silfverberg have one more year left on their deals. Ritchie, Grant, Kase, Montour and Welinski need new contracts for next season (assuming they all return).

Moreso how to do with how badly the Devils need someone to take the top minutes away from Greene.

He's still a good defender, but he's getting to the point where he can't handle the top minutes and we have no one else to play there.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Shouldn't you know how to spell Hanifin's name at the very least for people to take you seriously?

This trade does offset the abysmal one offered on the first page though.

Change of scenery might be good.

Zacha
2018 first round pick (17th overall)
2019 second round pick

for

Hanifin

Not a bad offer. The canes really need a 1C though. I don't think Zacha is there..... yet.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Tough question. I like his game but every time I seem to turn the Flames game on TV he's giving the puck away - Where do you think he is in development?

My fellow Devils fans probably like the idea of offensive defensemen; but right now we're looking for stability and replacing Andy Greene - not adding another Vatanan/Severson/Moore cluster**** of mayhem and instability - so although I like Brodie, I'm not sure if he's really the exact fit. I am impressed with all of the suggestions so far on this thread... Martinez/Fowler might be closer to the 'steadiness'.

I'd pass on Brodie for the price it'll take

I'd look to add someone with some size and muscle. Not necessarily a brute force defender but even just a defender who can use his body effectively.

As it is right now, Devils defense is easy to gameplan for because they're all smaller or more positional/stickwork type defenders. No one who is really intimidating or can't be easily outmuscled.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I really like Leddy - John Moore++. The worry is that he'll be John Moore--. Love his skating though.
I don't know why I got crap for suggesting him. He is a quality defender on a good contract. I would discount the defensive numbers for him based on the team he was with last year. He really would be a perfect fit for us.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I REALLY don't want to trade Brodin, but a package of Zacha+1st 2018 would get me to think long and hard. Especially if it means getting Bokk+Kupari.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

My fellow Devils fans probably like the idea of offensive defensemen; but right now we're looking for stability and replacing Andy Greene - not adding another Vatanan/Severson/Moore cluster**** of mayhem and instability - so although I like Brodie, I'm not sure if he's really the exact fit. I am impressed with all of the suggestions so far on this thread... Martinez/Fowler might be closer to the 'steadiness'.

Need forward help in the worst of ways.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I'd pass on Brodie for the price it'll take

I'd look to add someone with some size and muscle. Not necessarily a brute force defender but even just a defender who can use his body effectively.

As it is right now, Devils defense is easy to gameplan for because they're all smaller or more positional/stickwork type defenders. No one who is really intimidating or can't be easily outmuscled.

Yeah, I wish Pieterangelo would drop in our lap too... but there aren't tons of guys out there like that except the aforementioned Muzzin. I think everyone else (Brodin, Martinez, Brodie, deHaan, Leddy) mentioned in this thread is in that 6'1 190 range.

Need forward help in the worst of ways.

We've suddenly got some of that, for sure. I think no one outside of Nico/Hall are untouchable but they're out of Brodie's league anyway...

Zacha+ a small piece is a pretty good value match as far as upside goes...

I mean, we could probably put together a raft of 2-3 high ceiling prospects like McLeod, Quenneville and a dman and hope things work out but like others said, the cost might be high for us and Brodie really doesn't completely fit our need as a blue-line anchor... at least not right now (? Is that right, I mean I only saw maybe 4 Flames games so I'm really ignorant as to where Brodie is at other than just the reputation ??)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Yeah, I wish Pieterangelo would drop in our lap too... but there aren't tons of guys out there like that except the aforementioned Muzzin. I think everyone else (Brodin, Martinez, Brodie, deHaan, Leddy) mentioned in this thread is in that 6'1 190 range.

In all honesty, I don't foresee the LHD being addressed this off-season unless there's a deal Shero can't refuse. Every trade option at fair value seems like it opens up another hole somewhere else.

I think the plan will be to attempt to sign Carlson + add another scoring winger (or keep Maroon) + add a depth forward. I think Santini is still waiver-eligible, which helps this plan. Hypothetically in that case:

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri
Johansson - Zacha - (scoring winger)
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen
Wood - Boyle - xxxxx
Depth forward

Greene - 1RD
Mueller - Vantanen
Butcher - Severson
Lovejoy

If you go into next year with that, then look to make a Henrique-like trade if guys earn spots and someone is deemed expendable. Let the young kids (Bratt, McLeod, JQ, Anderson) battle to push guys down a peg and make them trade chips.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I hear Gardiner is now available from Leafs fans.

Not a fan of either team, but just throwing it out there. I have a feeling I've made a grave mistake in posting this, however. But I would hope for a rational discussion, if there's one to be had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad