Top 30 NHL Players #20

20th Best Player?

• Total voters

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is between Point and Couturier.

I don't get why Stamkos is even a poll option. Third best forward on his team and very one dimensional. Stamkos is not a top 30 player.

Pietrangelo had a monster season but I would never have thought of him as a top 30 player based on the previous couple seasons.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Draisaitl just won the Ross - is likely going to sweep the awards - and very possibly would have won the Ross with the best point output in the past....i don't even know, 25 years, since 1996 probably?

Everyone knows how good Crosby is - but there's nothing wrong with giving a guy like Drai his due after his absolutely fabulous season - which comes on the heels of another great season last year where he scored 50+50, so no reason to claim it's a "one hit wonder" either.

As to EP - you should go back to the first few threads. Some people were arguing he should be top 3-5. I agree with you on that point.
Crosby is really good defensively, Drai is really bad.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Stone at 19 and Couturier looking like he'll end up 27thish.....

Something does not compute here.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
This kind of list is a popularity contest

Yeah sure, Draisaitl is better than Crosby lmfao

Next well hear how Pettersson is better than half the list without ever having gone PPG
Are you saying Draisaitl is more popular than Crosby??

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
This kind of list is a popularity contest

Yeah sure, Draisaitl is better than Crosby lmfao

Next well hear how Pettersson is better than half the list without ever having gone PPG
[mod] Draisaitl being 3rd, Ovi being 7th and Kane being 9th stick out like sore thumbs. None are top 10. Malkin is a bit high for my liking as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
[mod] Draisaitl being 3rd, Ovi being 7th and Kane being 9th stick out like sore thumbs. None are top 10. Malkin is a bit high for my liking as well.

Draisaitl just won the Art Ross and Ovi just won the Richard and they are "not top 10" - and they would have ran away with them had the season not been shortened. Brilliant hot take.
I'm sure in your eyes Matthews and Tavares are more deserving :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I went Doughty. Just because he's been on a bottom feeding team over the years, he's still an effective player.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Draisaitl just won the Art Ross and Ovi just won the Richard and they are "not top 10" - and they would have ran away with them had the season not been shortened. Brilliant hot take.
I'm sure in your eyes Matthews and Tavares are more deserving :rolleyes:
Nope. I have no idea where you got that idea. Cant make one post as a leaf fan without some numbskull assuming i'm biased.

Draisaitl you could make a case for, he just isnt in my top 10. Ovi is nowhere close, this is 2020 not 2010.

Bet you are one of those casual stat watching fans. There is more to hockey than goals and points, I hate to break it to you.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I went Doughty. Just because he's been on a bottom feeding team over the years, he's still an effective player.
... Over Pietrangelo?

Doughty hasnt been very good for a couple years now. There is a reason you are his only vote.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Put Doughty in Pietrangelo's spot, and you'd get great results, if not better.
What, do you have access to alternate universes or something where Pietrangelo went 2nd and Doughty went 4th?

You cant slight Pietrangelo like that, he was the #1D on a cup winning team. To be fair, Doughty was too, back like 5 years ago. But right now, Pietrangelo is the better player.

Also while we're at it, put Nylander in Pastrnaks spot, you'd get great results, if not better :sarcasm:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
McDavid
Crosby
Mackinnon
Panarin
Hedman
Kucherov
Josi
Pietrangelo
Eichel
Matthews

I cant see why youd be that high on Panarin but not Draisaitl after the 2 seasons he just had. He was just as good when McDavid was out too.

I definitely have Kane over Josi or Pietrangelo. Malkin too possibly.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I cant see why youd be that high on Panarin but not Draisaitl after the 2 seasons he just had. He was just as good when McDavid was out too.

I definitely have Kane over Josi or Pietrangelo. Malkin too possibly.
Panarin carried a pretty meh NYR team, playing on a line with Ryan Strome and Jesper Fast (I believe)?

We saw huge increases in production by Mika Zibanejad and Ryan Strome. I was very impressed how he produced so well, while not having a ton of offensive talent to work with. IMO he should be a top choice for the Hart this season, with how that award works.

Draisaitl has the best player in the world to work with. Not Ryan Strome.

A elite #1D like Josi and Pietrangelo are much, much more valuable than #1W like Kane, who is very bad defensively. Malkin is great too, but someone like Josi or Piet are more valuable IMO.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
What, do you have access to alternate universes or something where Pietrangelo went 2nd and Doughty went 4th?

You cant slight Pietrangelo like that, he was the #1D on a cup winning team. To be fair, Doughty was too, back like 5 years ago. But right now, Pietrangelo is the better player.

Also while we're at it, put Nylander in Pastrnaks spot, you'd get great results, if not better :sarcasm:

And you can't slight Doughty for being on a King's team who hasn't been the same for a long time now. Without Doughty on the backend, the Kings would be the worst team each and every season.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
And you can't slight Doughty for being on a King's team who hasn't been the same for a long time now. Without Doughty on the backend, the Kings would be the worst team each and every season.
Doughty was not very good the last 2 years. You can blame it on the team around him not being very good, but I would like to point out he was still very good in other years the Kings made the playoffs, 2008-09 which was his rookie year, and as recent as 2014-15 and 2016-17. Its not unusual for a defenceman to decline at 29-30 years old. Doughty had a good career but by the looks of it he is on a downward slope.

Drew Doughty NHL Advanced Statistics (All) | Hockey-Reference.com

Take a look at NHL Rate Metrics (ALL), the 3rd chart from the top. It showcases his significant drop in major metrics such as C/60 (Corsi), F/60 (Fenwick), as well as his oiGF (on ice Goals For) dropping below his oiGA (on ice Goals Against).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad