Top 3 prospects not to be traded that are not yet wearing the blue and gold?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Levi is the only one I can say with 100 percent certainty absolutely won’t be moved in the next while. Would make no sense. Even if this is the real, full time UPL going forward…that’s more reason not to move Levi. Because if he becomes what most think…you can get a crap ton for one of them when that decision needs to be made many years away. And you can give yourself a real chance to win against anyone every night until that far off day.

All reports sure sound like they value Kulich ahead of the rest so he feels safe.

The third is harder to pick. Maybe Ostlund has the edge because he projects as a center. But I don’t think any of the three other first round forwards would be roadblocks to completing a big move if they wanted to make a big move. I don’t believe at all that someone asking for Ostlund over Savoie or vice versa would torpedo a deal they wanted.

If I had to pick a third prospect not in Buffalo yet that I thought was safest I might actually pick someone outside of the Savoie/Ostlund/Rosen trio. Because guys like Wahlberg (who we know they had a first round grade on) and Novikov both provide profiles they don’t have in the system.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm higher on Kulich than Savoie for now, but man I really hope Savoie can turn out to be a speedy two-way playmaker from the RW.

BTW, if Kulich isn't a C in the NHL (likely) does he slot better at LW or RW?

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Levi and Kulich

I assume we're not considering Benson a prospect anymore...

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Levi.

That’s it. That’s the list.
Yep. I'm 100% confident that Levi will not be traded. The other 2 that I have the most confidence in would be Ostlund followed by Strbak and then real closely by Wahlberg.

But outside of Levi, I think anyone could be had.

And hell, if Nashville wanted to give us Askarov.....I'd drive Levi to Milwaukee for them.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'd trade any of the prospects we have for the right player. Heck I'd trade almost anyone.

A top pairing rhd, 1C or elite goalie could get me to trade anyone not named Dahlin (it would make little sense to trade UPL though).

Reactions: Jacob582

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'd trade any of the prospects we have for the right player. Heck I'd trade almost anyone.

A top pairing rhd, 1C or elite goalie could get me to trade anyone not named Dahlin (it would make little sense to trade UPL though).
This. I'd trade any and all for the right player(s).

But if I had to guess my list would be in this order

1- Levi
2- Kulich
3-Ostlund
4- Novikov
5- Savoie
6- Wahlberg
7- Strbak
8- Rosen

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Kinda love seeing people getting on board the Ostlund trade. Feels like it wasn't that long ago I had a few people attack me for saying Ostlund is the one guy in that first round class I would hold onto the hardest.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'd rather they don't but there are deals to be made and there is very little I wouldn't put into a deal I think makes the team sufficiently better, thus no list of three. And it's only Levi for me because they don't have a 2nd quality pro tender right now.
Blasphemy

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Levi.

That’s it. That’s the list.
Came here to say this. Any of the forward prospects has to be on the table for something that helps.

This needed to be the case last year too, although it seems like Adams (and many posters) didn't want to give any of them up.

I still think we should have paid the price for Chychrun and if we had, we might be in much better shape in the standings right now.

Reactions: Jacob582

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Levi is the only one I can say with 100 percent certainty absolutely won’t be moved in the next while. Would make no sense. Even if this is the real, full time UPL going forward…that’s more reason not to move Levi. Because if he becomes what most think…you can get a crap ton for one of them when that decision needs to be made many years away. And you can give yourself a real chance to win against anyone every night until that far off day.

All reports sure sound like they value Kulich ahead of the rest so he feels safe.

The third is harder to pick. Maybe Ostlund has the edge because he projects as a center. But I don’t think any of the three other first round forwards would be roadblocks to completing a big move if they wanted to make a big move. I don’t believe at all that someone asking for Ostlund over Savoie or vice versa would torpedo a deal they wanted.

If I had to pick a third prospect not in Buffalo yet that I thought was safest I might actually pick someone outside of the Savoie/Ostlund/Rosen trio. Because guys like Wahlberg (who we know they had a first round grade on) and Novikov both provide profiles they don’t have in the system.
Good post! Agree top to bottom

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
If I had to rank the top forward prospects for trade value and organizational value:

trade rankplayertrade valuevalue to Sabres
1Rosenmidmid low
2Kulichhighmid high
3Savoiemid highmid high
4Wahlbergmid lowmid
5Ostlundmidmid high

All have potential to be good nhl players. All are tradeable, IMO.

Levi can't be traded because his value to the Sabres is very high, being the main goalie prospect anywhere near being nhl starter caliber.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If I had to rank the top forward prospects for trade value and organizational value:

trade rankplayertrade valuevalue to Sabres
1Rosenmidmid low
2Kulichhighmid high
3Savoiemid highmid high
4Wahlbergmid lowmid high
5Ostlundmid highmid high

All have potential to be good nhl players. All are tradeable, IMO.

Levi can't be traded because his value to the Sabres is very high, being the main goalie prospect anywhere near being nhl starter caliber.

Pretty much nailed it, and this is a good way to look at it. I'd just make the above changes.

Re: Wahlberg, the Sabres have to be higher on his than most other prospects since the player type is probably the biggest need in the system, and fills a glaring hole in the pool.

Re: Ostlund, I think he is valued high by the league and team. Certainly higher than Savoie. I think TSN just ranked Ostlund higher than any other prospect.

Re: Savoie, I don't think he has all that much value to the team (redundant, size/weight, injury history) or league (size/weight, injury history, low-value position).

I'd rather they don't but there are deals to be made and there is very little I wouldn't put into a deal I think makes the team sufficiently better, thus no list of three. And it's only Levi for me because they don't have a 2nd quality pro tender right now.
Agreed. The idea of having an untouchable prospect should be dismissed out of hand at this point.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Pretty much nailed it, and this is a good way to look at it. I'd just make the above changes.

Re: Wahlberg, the Sabres have to be higher on his than most other prospects since the player type is probably the biggest need in the system, and fills a glaring hole in the pool.

Re: Ostlund, I think he is valued high by the league and team. Certainly higher than Savoie. I think TSN just ranked Ostlund higher than any other prospect.

Re: Savoie, I don't think he has all that much value to the team (redundant, size/weight, injury history) or league (size/weight, injury history, low-value position).
Where I see Savoie's value to the Sabres is his speed and two way play. They have some fast players, but could use another, and Savoie also has short area quickness that some of our other fast guys don't have.

I also thought about bumping up Wahlberg's value to the team. I think if he was producing a little bit more, it'd be easier to project a higher ceiling, so I left him at mid. More value than Rosen due to size/play style.

Ostlund I love, and has value as a natural center, but if we sign Mitts that's 3 capable C's already on the roster, plus Krebs potential. So I left his value to the Sabres as mid high, same as Savoie and Kuli.

All arguable though. I appreciate your response.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad