Top 3 picks from your favourite teams

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Really, can you show me a scouting report that says he is good without the puck?

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Nugent+Hopkins+looks+like+real+deal/4776093/story.html

"1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (centre) Red Deer Rebels, six-footone, 164 pounds, 31-75-106 points. He needs another 20 pounds on his frame, but he has great vision, ultracompetitive work habits, sneaky defensive game. "Reminds me of Pavel Datsyuk," said Team Canada coach Ken Hitchcock."

You don't get a Datsyuk comparison if you aren't good defensively. I've seen it written elsewhere that his point production would have been that much greater if she just focused on offense, but his top priority this year was always his own end. He has the ability (like Datsyuk) to sneak up behind a guy and strip him of the puck.

I agree with most that for the Oilers it is RNH.............. Larsson.... Couturier. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will be the first player selected this year, just too much evidence towards it.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Nugent+Hopkins+looks+like+real+deal/4776093/story.html

"1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (centre) Red Deer Rebels, six-footone, 164 pounds, 31-75-106 points. He needs another 20 pounds on his frame, but he has great vision, ultracompetitive work habits, sneaky defensive game. "Reminds me of Pavel Datsyuk," said Team Canada coach Ken Hitchcock."

You don't get a Datsyuk comparison if you aren't good defensively. I've seen it written elsewhere that his point production would have been that much greater if she just focused on offense, but his top priority this year was always his own end. He has the ability (like Datsyuk) to sneak up behind a guy and strip him of the puck.

I agree with most that for the Oilers it is RNH.............. Larsson.... Couturier. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will be the first player selected this year, just too much evidence towards it.

Ok, glad to hear it, but isn't Couturier better in the D zone though.

So Oiler fans would rather have a smaller slick centre than a big dominant one, I thought they wanted to get bigger?

Madic

May 21, 2008
:leafs

1) Puempel
2) Phillips
3) Klefbom

With any luck we'll end up with all three
:laugh: You mean with the best luck ever recorded? Puempel won't be around at 25. The other two will be, probably with 5 or 10 picks to spare, but not Puempel.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Ok, if you say so.

Well what? I don't have to rely on what other people say on here or in some scouting report by somebody I don't know or might not have any type of credentials.

Have you not taken the time to watch RNH play at all? Whether it be live or on TV?

Last edited:

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Well what? I don't have to rely on what other people say on here or in some scouting report by somebody I don't know or might not have any type of credentials.

Have you not taken the time to watch RNH play at all? Whether it be live or on TV?

Yes I have, just not for awhile, Red Deer games aren't on every week on Friday on Shaw you know, and I don't really remember his defensive play, for most people it's his offensive play that they remember.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Yes I have, just not for awhile, Red Deer games aren't on every week on Friday on Shaw you know, and I don't really remember his defensive play, for most people it's his offensive play that they remember.

Well I just figured that if you were going to say he was "weak" defensively, then you would have seen or read somewhere that that's the case....

R S

Sep 18, 2006
And to be honest, I've never heard/read/seen RNH be exposed defensively. He might lose a battle or two in the corners against a bigger, stronger and older player, but once again that goes back to his size more than anything. He plays fine defensively, is very smart in regards to staying on the right side of the puck, he backchecks hard and is a committed player that actually plays with an edge despite being a tad light at the moment.

The biggest thing about his play defensively to me is his stick. Very quick. Can pick someone's pocket in a moment's notice. That, to me, is the biggest thing he has in common with Datsyuk. Even more so than his shiftiness and vision.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

So Oiler fans would rather have a smaller slick centre than a big dominant one, I thought they wanted to get bigger?

The Oilers will be getting bigger. They have Hartikainen, Hamilton, Pitlick, Lander and probably Vande Velde looking very likley in the next two years.

I would also say that it would not surprise me if they made a play to move up to get either McNeill or Scheifele.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Well I just figured that if you were going to say he was "weak" defensively, then you would have seen or read somewhere that that's the case....

Well ok, maybe not weak, but maybe just average at best, it's just that his defensive game rarely gets talked about.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Yes Couturier is more defensive, by RNH has the speed and playmaking ability that just makes him the perfect fit for Taylor Hall.

Let the third line worry about shutting down the opposition. RNH has the chance to be the first true #1 center the Oilers have had since Doug Weight

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The Oilers will be getting bigger. They have Hartikainen, Hamilton, Pitlick, Lander and probably Vande Velde looking very likley in the next two years.

I would also say that it would not surprise me if they made a play to move up to get either McNeill or Scheifele.

Well they don't have to move up if both of those players will be available at 19, which I think especially Scheifele will be, maybe McNeill too, but if you are going to take N-H with the 1st pick, wouldn't you want to maybe take a D man with the 2nd?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Well they don't have to move up if both of those players will be available at 19, which I think especially Scheifele will be, maybe McNeill too, but if you are going to take N-H with the 1st pick, wouldn't you want to maybe take a D man with the 2nd?

BPA. Even if it's a winger like Armia.

Man Hole Inspector*

:laugh: You mean with the best luck ever recorded? Puempel won't be around at 25. The other two will be, probably with 5 or 10 picks to spare, but not Puempel.

The draft is too unpredictable, we really don't know whose going to fall. It isn't laughable to think that Puempel could fall late in the first round.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Chicago

- Nicklas Jensen
- Mark Schiefele
- Mark McNeil

HM(s) - Tyler Biggs, Brandon Saad, Vladislav Namestnikov

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
:pens

23rd overall

Matt Puempel and Alexander Khokhlachev are the Pens boards two clear favourites.
The 3rd spot is between Jurco/Catenacci/J.T Miller/Jensen.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
:rangers

15th overall

It's really up in the air as to who the Rangers seem to want, or even what the Rangers seem to want, but I think these three players may be Rangers on draft day:

Sven Bartschi (W, WHL)
Mark McNeil (C, WHL)
Mark Schiefel (C, OHL)

The Rangers seem to lean towards tough, character guys, and it seems they like what they see in the WHL as of late. Two other guys that may be on the Rangers radar are Tyler Biggs and Alexander Khocklachev, although I would be surprised at the latter - they seem to be hesitant of taking Russians.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

They may well take a defensman. There has been a lot of noise in the local press about the Oilers strong desire for another top ten pick.

But it is pretty common knowledge that the Oilers really like Mark McNeill. He is a local kid who has been on the Oilers radar for a while. Speculation is strong that he won't get past Calgary. Scheifele could go anywhere from 10th to 40th in this draft, who knows. But if McNeill is off the board the Oilers may well move up to try and get him.

If the Oilers moved in the 10-12 range I would not be surprised at all if they picked McNeill. 14-16 my guess is that they would target Scheifele or one of the dmen.

Where it would not surprise me to see them pick a dman is with the 31st pick. Perhaps someone like Klefbom if he is still there.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
They may well take a defensman. There has been a lot of noise in the local press about the Oilers strong desire for another top ten pick.

But it is pretty common knowledge that the Oilers really like Mark McNeill. He is a local kid who has been on the Oilers radar for a while. Speculation is strong that he won't get past Calgary. Scheifele could go anywhere from 10th to 40th in this draft, who knows. But if McNeill is off the board the Oilers may well move up to try and get him.

If the Oilers moved in the 10-12 range I would not be surprised at all if they picked McNeill. 14-16 my guess is that they would target Scheifele or one of the dmen.

Where it would not surprise me to see them pick a dman is with the 31st pick. Perhaps someone like Klefbom if he is still there.

Well I think Detroit and Vancouver maybe have their eye on Klefbom and Brodin, so the Oilers might not be able to nab him, T Bay could be in on it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad