Top 3 picks from your favourite teams

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Actually, the Oilers are more likely to take Larsson at this stage than Nugent-Hopkins. However, it will likely come down to the wire between these two, much like Tyler vs. Taylor last year. I think Couturier, Landeskog, etc. are all out of the conversation for 1st overall. However, Tambellini might try to make a move to acquire another top 6 pick to attain Couturier.

I'm not sure why you would say this. I think it is much much more likely they go with RNH. Every piece of evidence points in this direction.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Actually, the Oilers are more likely to take Larsson at this stage than Nugent-Hopkins. However, it will likely come down to the wire between these two, much like Tyler vs. Taylor last year. I think Couturier, Landeskog, etc. are all out of the conversation for 1st overall. However, Tambellini might try to make a move to acquire another top 6 pick to attain Couturier.

I kinda disagree with both of you, I think they are torn between Larsson and N-H, whoever they take I think will have a major impact on their future path, on if they can become a good team again.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I kinda disagree with both of you, I think they are torn between Larsson and N-H, whoever they take I think will have a major impact on their future path, on if they can become a good team again.

The signs definitely point to RNH. Tambellini has been making noises about the first overall not having to play next year. Stu M. has claimed that he has his guy and from the info he passed on to Robin Brownlee about each prospect it sure looks like it its RNH. (RNH = 1st line center...Larsson = probable #2).

This could all be a smokescreen but for what purpose?

Ryan Whitney also came out and said that he feels the need for a number one center is greater than the need for a #1 dman, (while at the same time suggesting that he did not see himswelf as that #1 dman.) Whitney has become a leader on the Oilers and while his opinion means little it may well reflect the pulse of the team.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The signs definitely point to RNH. Tambellini has been making noises about the first overall not having to play next year. Stu M. has claimed that he has his guy and from the info he passed on to Robin Brownlee about each prospect it sure looks like it its RNH. (RNH = 1st line center...Larsson = probable #2).

This could all be a smokescreen but for what purpose?

Ryan Whitney also came out and said that he feels the need for a number one center is greater than the need for a #1 dman, (while at the same time suggesting that he did not see himswelf as that #1 dman.) Whitney has become a leader on the Oilers and while his opinion means little it may well reflect the pulse of the team.

This may be true, I think though that if they take a guy who probably won't be an impact NHLer for them next season could be a mistake, I would go with Larsson all the way in that regard, I think they should probably take him, if they take N-H, they could rush him like they have in the past.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
This may be true, I think though that if they take a guy who probably won't be an impact NHLer for them next season could be a mistake, I would go with Larsson all the way in that regard, I think they should probably take him, if they take N-H, they could rush him like they have in the past.

though Larsson has his fans, the BPA is RNH, and that appears to be who the Oilers will take. just the idea of picking someone 1st overall and not having him start in the NHL worries a lot of fans and irks Larsson fans who think he'll play next year in the NHL.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
though Larsson has his fans, the BPA is RNH, and that appears to be who the Oilers will take. just the idea of picking someone 1st overall and not having him start in the NHL worries a lot of fans and irks Larsson fans who think he'll play next year in the NHL.

I don't know if R N-H is clearly the BPA, I think that R N-H is the best centreman available, and Larsson is the best D man available, I also don't think it matters if they take R N-H, because he will probably play for them next season because the Oilers have a bad history of rushing prospects.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I don't know if R N-H is clearly the BPA, I think that R N-H is the best centreman available, and Larsson is the best D man available.

Well then why do so many organizations and groups have him as the number 1 player overall?

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Scouts disagree.

You can't really compare a centreman with a D man anyway, they are both the best at their positions, they are both different players, so you can't really say one is better than the other, they are both just the best at what they do, which are different things.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
You can't really compare a centreman with a D man anyway, they are both the best at their positions, they are both different players, so you can't really say one is better than the other, they are both just the best at what they do, which are different things.

Scouts disagree

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Why would it be a mistake. In fact, one could argue that one more year in the bottom five is exactly what the Oilers need. From theire they will have a better picture of what they have going forward and can start adding pieces to the core.

The possibility of Hoppy not playing in the NHL next year has already been put on the table in Edmonton. It is a frequent topic on the talk shows with most suggeting they would let it play out how it does.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
How do you know, any scout I know would say the same, it's apples and oranges.

Sure, they are different things, but when comparing two players...it's pretty easy to say..."if player A becomes the player we project him to be, he will be worth more/more valuable to us than player B".

EDIT: Furthermore, I think that a high end defenseman is more valuable than a high end center...but I still think that RNH is going to be good enough to outweigh that previous opinion of mine.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Sure, they are different things, but when comparing two players...it's pretty easy to say..."if player A becomes the player we project him to be, he will be worth more/more valuable to us than player B".

EDIT: Furthermore, I think that a high end defenseman is more valuable than a high end center...but I still think that RNH is going to be good enough to outweigh that previous opinion of mine.

But aren't defenseman and centreman potentials different, or are you saying that N-H's forward ceiling is higher than that of what Larsson's D man ceiling will be?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
But aren't defenseman and centreman potentials different, or are you saying that N-H's forward ceiling is higher than that of what Larsson's D man ceiling will be?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Ok, but will R. N-H really be that good, because we all know he is the best offensive forward in the draft as of now, his defensive skill and size is lacking, whereas Couturier has these attributes, and similar skill, I see R. N-H like Brad Richards, a very good offensive forward, but not so good on the defensive side.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Ok, but will R. N-H really be that good, because we all know he is the best offensive forward in the draft as of now, his defensive skill and size is lacking, whereas Couturier has these attributes, and similar skill, I see R. N-H like Brad Richards, a very good offensive forward, but not so good on the defensive side.

His defensive skill is not lacking....

And yes, he is light in frame, but it's not like he's small. He's still above average in height, with more than enough time to get filled out and add strength.

But how can you say he is lacking defensively? Because he surely isn't.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
His defensive skill is not lacking....

And yes, he is light in frame, but it's not like he's small. He's still above average in height, with more than enough time to get filled out and add strength.

But how can you say he is lacking defensively? Because he surely isn't.

Really, can you show me a scouting report that says he is good without the puck?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I don't need a scouting report to tell me...I've seen him with my own eyes on numerous occasions..

from everything i have seen and read Larsson gets the kind of impact player comparisons to lidstrom, keith, pronger and rnh gets parise, kopitar, kane.

i think if both players actually meet these arbitrary comparisons, i would much rather larsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->