TOP 25 players since Gretzky (1979)

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Strong Team / Weak Team

I haven't done a historical study of Keenan's goalie usage patterns, but that certainly wasn't true this year. Curtis McElhinney started six games. Four of the six were on the road, four of the six were against playoff teams, four of the six were in the second game of a back-to-back. In his other eight games played he was relieving Kipprusoff, and it's likely that the Flames were being outplayed in those games. He certainly wasn't being set up for success.

In fact, I'd suggest that Keenan's most prominent characteristic with goalies is that he is quick to pull his starting goaltender. This means that the backups will get a lot of partial games where they come into situations where their team is being outplayed. If Hasek's usage was anything like that with Chicago, his results were pretty good.

I'll add that blaming Hasek for his role in Chicago is probably missing the mark. Goalie is a notoriously difficult position for otherwise astute hockey men to evaluate, and Mike Keenan is probably one of the worst in this area.

Regarding your point on the small number of games Hasek played in those years - I wouldn't normally put much meaning into a small number of games played, but since I know that Hasek:
1. Had excellent results in Czechoslovakia and in international play before he was allowed to come to North America.
2. Had possibly the best sustained peak of any goaltender in history starting in 1993.
3. Didn't have a radical change in his style or any particular epiphany in 1993.

I would conclude that Keenan very likely failed to recognize what he had in Hasek, and that Hasek was probably a great goaltender since his early twenties who was unable to start in the NHL through no fault of his own, not a late developer a la Johnny Bower.

Again we come to the strong team / weak team issue. If play-off teams are to be viewed as strong teams as you seem to imply in your description of Mclhinney's starts
then the Hasek era Sabres have to be viewed as strong teams since they were play-off teams.

Keenan's view of goalies is "Win now". Keenan leaves development to others. He will go with the one who gives him the best chance to win that specific game, pulling goalies who have a bad start because he feels that the game may still be salvaged. This has obvious negatives but that is what you get with Keenan.

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Team Strength

None of that has as much to do with the caliber of players of the team in front of them. This is misdirection and artful dodging because the strength of the teams Hasek played for(Or rather, Weakness) is the biggest mark in his favor and you are trying to avoid it. Conversely, the biggest marks against Brodeur in his career have unfairly revolved around him playing behind that powerhouse of a defensive team.

I think Brodeur could have done well on a lesser team. But not as well as Hasek did on a MUCH lesser team, certainly not winning a cup on that Sabres squad. Once Hasek had gone to a good team, he immediately won a cup.

Brodeur's teams recently have been a bit weaker than in the past. Not anywhere near as weak as those sabres squads mind you, but weaker than his former teams. How come then, he has not been able to lead them past the second round since Stevens/Niedermayer and a few other important players left? He has been one/two for the Vezina every year between 2004-2008 so obviously he is as good as he ever was. Answer? Its a team game.

Again, you are avoiding the main theme.

The caliber of players on Brodeur's team were far higher. Players who can perform under any coach and system and perform at a high level. Hall of fame caliber players, and star players just under that tier.

Hasek's Sabres from the Conference final and Finals runs he went through were very poor. Teams he personally carried on his back. Their highest scoring forward in 1996-97 scored 22 goals and 46 points, and their top 2 defensemen were light years behind Stevens/Niedermayer.

Seventieslord made a very interesting point about the strength of Hasek's Sabres.

Team strength is a variable that you are try to avoid defining. Some teams are stronger than the sum of their parts while others are weaker than the sum of their parts. The just concluded Ducks / Sharks series would be a prime example. Based on a strictly statistical talent evaluation the Sharks are much stronger over the length of the season.Reduced to a seven game series where you have to play the same team night after night the team with superior coaching, superior hockey intelligence and superior mental toughness wins quite often and is the stronger team. The Sharks have a history of falling to such teams while the Sabres under Nolan and later Ruff had a history of being such stronger play-off teams.

A good coach will recognize that his team cannot run with the elite and spend the season getting the right elements in place, teaching the fine points of hockey intelligence and working on the mental toughness.

That you do not wish to measure or consider such criteria is fine that others do is fine also. So be it.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Expected To Win

I think he probably would have done fine. I just have a problem with the typical assumption that a goalie who can carry a bad team would automatically be a great fit on a great team.

There are huge mental differences between:
1) being able to handle being bombarded by shots; and being able to maintain concentration through slow periods before having to make a key save.
2) the pressure of knowing you are your team's only hope vs. the pressure of knowing that you are expected to win and anything less would be a choke.

Goaltending, more than any other position, is mental, and I don't think you can assume that a goalie who is great in one situation is automatically going to be great in another.

It's funny. I agree with many (probably the majority) of Canadian1958's criticisms of Hasek, but I still don't think it's enough to push Brodeur over Hasek.

My top 5 in order is Roy, Plante, Hasek, Brodeur, Sawchuk.

Despite the fact that I have Hasek at a solid #3 all time, I think there's a huge tendency to overrate him around here, based largely on statistics.

I especially hate three arguments:
1) The "martyr goalie" argument, where a great goalie has to carry a bad team, but a goalie on a good team is discredited. Likewise, I think that people go way overboard in discrediting the Sabres of the late 90s. If anything, they were built for the playoffs in the early dead puck era (see Florida in 1996).

2) The assumption that we should "evaluate goalies like skaters" when their role is nothing alike. Forwards are counted on to win games; goalies are counted on not to lose them. Additionally, the mental game is what often separates the good goalies from the great ones, much moreso than is the case with forwards (Gretzky excluded).

3) The comparison of Hasek to Lemieux or any of the other top 4. The fact is that Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux, and Orr are the consensus best 4 players to ever play by anyone who has even a small amount of knowledge of the history of the game. And when it comes to goaltending, there is nothing close to a consensus as to the best of all time. Any of 8 goaltenders have been called "the best goalie of all time" by people who at least have some idea of what they are talking about. And even on the HOH board, people are torn between Hasek, Plante, Sawchuk, Hall, and Roy.

I have Hasek ahead of Brodeur, but I'm not going to pretend its an insurmountable gap. I said before, "Brodeur winning a Cup playing behind a team that isn't stacked at D would be huge for his legacy." Right now, I personally view the top goalies of all time in several tiers:

Tier 1: Roy, Plante, Hasek (a clear 3rd to me because of his negatives)
Tier 2: Brodeur, Sawchuk
Tier 3: Tretiak, Hall, Dryden

If Brodeur wins another Cup playing behind the D he has now, I have to reevaluate whether he gets bumped up to tier 1, especially if he gets a Conn Smythe.

Expected to win is the biggest difference between playing for a great team or a franchise with a history of winning and a team or a franchise that does not. Some can handle the pressure of expected to win while others cannot. Until they are put to the test there is no way of knowing. Fantasy league interchanging of players does not work.

Read "The Game" by Ken Dryden and this point becomes very obvious. Some thrive playing for such a team, others do not. Some goalies can make the transition from a team that is not expected to win to one that is and shine - Lorne Worsley, Johnny Bower while others after interesting results with such teams cannot - Denis Heron.

When the expectations are minimal then pressure is reduced, mistakes are not magnified and the goalie can narrow his focus.

I would rate Jacques Plante #1 overall amongst goalies but that is for another thread.

Last edited:

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Again we come to the strong team / weak team issue. If play-off teams are to be viewed as strong teams as you seem to imply in your description of Mclhinney's starts
then the Hasek era Sabres have to be viewed as strong teams since they were play-off teams.

Keenan's view of goalies is "Win now". Keenan leaves development to others. He will go with the one who gives him the best chance to win that specific game, pulling goalies who have a bad start because he feels that the game may still be salvaged. This has obvious negatives but that is what you get with Keenan.

Come on. You're being ridiculous. It's perfectly sound to assume that playoff teams are on average stronger than non-playoff teams while at the same time acknowledging that specific playoff teams may have been carried there by their goaltender. You obviously know this, but you aren't arguing in good faith and aren't worth engaging any more.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

Sabres with Hasek were a strong team, that's the point. It is his play that makes them strong.

Take '99 for example.

W/ Hasek: 30-18-14
W/out Hasek: 7-10-3

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Might as well answer the OP:

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Dominic Hasek
4. Ray Bourque
5. Patrick Roy
6. Niklas Lidstrom
7. Jaromir Jagr
8. Martin Brodeur
9. Mark Messier
10. Vyachaslav Fetisov
11. Joe Sakic
12. Chris Chelios
13. Steve Yzerman
14. Paul Coffey
15. Sergei Makarov
16. Jari Kurri
17. Peter Forsberg
18. Al MacInnis
19. Peter Stastny
20. Ed Belfour
21. Brian Leetch
22. Scott Stevens
23. Sergei Fedorov
24. Brett Hull
25. Adam Oates

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Come on. You're being ridiculous. It's perfectly sound to assume that playoff teams are on average stronger than non-playoff teams while at the same time acknowledging that specific playoff teams may have been carried there by their goaltender. You obviously know this, but you aren't arguing in good faith and aren't worth engaging any more.

Its sure getting frustrating isn't it?

As far as I am concerned, a prime Hasek would have won the cups on a stronger team. End of story. Counting cups and wins, which are generally a team trophy and team statistic, as the ultimate gauge when comparing goaltenders is misleading and wrong.

-thedevilmademe said:
He did, but I think the sample size of "strong teams" (half a season in Ottawa?) is too small to conclude anything decisively. And as I said, he basically just had to not screw up to win the Cup in Detroit, and to his credit, he didn't.
He played 2 more years with the wings while past his prime after Ottawa, not just that single year on the stacked Wings team. The wings from 2005-2008 were not stacked(Now that they acquired Hossa they are). Merely very good and despite being far past his best days, Dom was terrific, with a couple of high win% seasons and a terrific playoff run in 07 which he helped take them to the conference finals(He was the best player on the team that run, maybe tied with Lidstrom)

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Might as well answer the OP:

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Dominic Hasek
4. Ray Bourque
5. Patrick Roy
6. Niklas Lidstrom
7. Jaromir Jagr
8. Martin Brodeur
9. Mark Messier
10. Vyachaslav Fetisov
11. Joe Sakic
12. Chris Chelios
13. Steve Yzerman
14. Paul Coffey
15. Sergei Makarov
16. Jari Kurri
17. Peter Forsberg
18. Al MacInnis
19. Peter Stastny
20. Ed Belfour
21. Brian Leetch
22. Scott Stevens
23. Sergei Fedorov
24. Brett Hull
25. Adam Oates

very similar to what i would do.

i would have jagr and hull higher; and belfour, brodeur and kurri lower.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Patrick Roy
4. Mark Messier
5. Raymond Bourque
6. Martin Brodeur
7. Jaromir Jagr
8. Dominik Hasek
9. Joe Sakic
10. Steve Yzerman
11. Peter Forsberg
12. Chris Chelios
13. Paul Coffey
14. Niklas Lidstrom
15. Jari Kurri
16. Pavel Bure
17. Peter Stastny
18. Brett Hull
19. Al MacInnis
20. Scott Stevens
21. Brian Leetch
22. Ed Belfour
23. Brian Leetch
24. Sergei Fedorov
25. Teemu Selanne

Lidstrom 14th?

Care to elaborate why so low?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Expected to win is the biggest difference between playing for a great team or a franchise with a history of winning and a team or a franchise that does not. Some can handle the pressure of expected to win while others cannot. Until they are put to the test there is no way of knowing. Fantasy league interchanging of players does not work.

Read "The Game" by Ken Dryden and this point becomes very obvious. Some thrive playing for such a team, others do not. Some goalies can make the transition from a team that is not expected to win to one that is and shine - Lorne Worsley, Johnny Bower while others after interesting results with such teams cannot - Denis Heron.

When the expectations are minimal then pressure is reduced, mistakes are not magnified and the goalie can narrow his focus.

I would rate Jacques Plante #1 overall amongst goalies but that is for another thread.

Isn't that the book where Dryden says the 76-77 Canadiens could have won the Cup with their backup goalie?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Being Humble

Isn't that the book where Dryden says the 76-77 Canadiens could have won the Cup with their backup goalie?

Simply Ken Dryden being humble, giving tribute to his teammates and recognizing the role and importance of the back-up goaltender who was also part of an "expected to win" team. Comment does imply that a parachuted goalie who had not experienced the team culture and lived thru the game to game expectations and media pressures in Montreal could achieve the same results.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Simply Ken Dryden being humble, giving tribute to his teammates and recognizing the role and importance of the back-up goaltender who was also part of an "expected to win" team. Comment does imply that a parachuted goalie who had not experienced the team culture and lived thru the game to game expectations and media pressures in Montreal could achieve the same results.

It was Ken Dryden being realistic. Esposito said it best....."Ken Dryden was a fantastic goaltender, but Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe, Larry Robinson, Jacques Laperriere, JC Tremblay ... HOW IN THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO GET ANY REBOUNDS???"

Michel Larocque(Dryden's backup) went 141-48-31 with that Habs team as Backup and was 19-50-18 after he left the Habs. Further proof that wins need to be attributed in part to the team a goalie plays for.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Proof

It was Ken Dryden being realistic. Esposito said it best....."Ken Dryden was a fantastic goaltender, but Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe, Larry Robinson, Jacques Laperriere, JC Tremblay ... HOW IN THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO GET ANY REBOUNDS???"

Michel Larocque(Dryden's backup) went 141-48-31 with that Habs team as Backup and was 19-50-18 after he left the Habs. Further proof that wins need to be attributed in part to the team a goalie plays for.

Interesting quote about the 1971 Canadiens / Bruins series. Considering the fact that Serge Savard missed the second half of the 1970-71 season and the complete play-off recovering from a broken leg and that Larry Robinson did not join the Canadiens until the 1972-73 season the quote is somewhat inaccurate, especially in light of the job Terry Harper did on Phil Esposito during the series.

The Michel Larocque stats support what was the expectation from the back-up goalie. Part of the Canadiens' tradition. Plante stepped - up and played 4 of the games helping win the 1953 Cup.All that Larocque's numbers after leaving the Habs show is that you cannot transport performance in the NHL like you can in a fantasy league.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Interesting quote about the 1971 Canadiens / Bruins series. Considering the fact that Serge Savard missed the second half of the 1970-71 season and the complete play-off recovering from a broken leg and that Larry Robinson did not join the Canadiens until the 1972-73 season the quote is somewhat inaccurate, especially in light of the job Terry Harper did on Phil Esposito during the series.
That Esposito quote was not regarding that series. It was him commenting on Dryden's help in his book over the years as a whole.

Harper?
The Habs in that particular series still had J.C Tremblay, Guy Lapointe, and Jacques Laperierre covering Orr and Esposito, as well as an experience terrific team up front with Beliveau, H.Richard, Cournoyer, Lemaire, Mahovlich(Both), etc etc.

The Michel Larocque stats support what was the expectation from the back-up goalie. Part of the Canadiens' tradition. Plante stepped - up and played 4 of the games helping win the 1953 Cup.All that Larocque's numbers after leaving the Habs show is that you cannot transport performance in the NHL like you can in a fantasy league.
Its getting humorous watching you continuously try to evade and discredit the team argument because it is a monkeywrench in your reasoning.

Larocque's stats after leaving Montreal shows much more than that. Chiefly, that the team in front of you is responsible for a good deal of your statistics no matter how good you are. Larocque was the same goaltender, but going from a great team to a mediocre team killed him.

Teams Matter in goaltending performance

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Qualifying

That Esposito quote was not regarding that series. It was him commenting on Dryden's help in his book over the years as a whole.

Harper?
The Habs in that particular series still had J.C Tremblay, Guy Lapointe, and Jacques Laperierre covering Orr and Esposito, as well as an experience terrific team up front with Beliveau, H.Richard, Cournoyer, Lemaire, Mahovlich(Both), etc etc.

Its getting humorous watching you continuously try to evade and discredit the team argument because it is a monkeywrench in your reasoning.

Larocque's stats after leaving Montreal shows much more than that. Chiefly, that the team in front of you is responsible for a good deal of your statistics no matter how good you are. Larocque was the same goaltender, but going from a great team to a mediocre team killed him.

Teams Matter in goaltending performance

The team argument is still waiting for a workable definition from YOU as to what constitutes a strong or a weak team. Your point seems to be that because Hasek had an extremely high SV% and faced maybe 4-5 more shots per game than the other goalies in the league then Hasek was on a WEAK team.

My interpretation, having watched the Sabres from the era play, is that they were a STRONG team because they managed to take away the oppositions offensive speed and other strengths thru superior positioning, keeping opposing players away from their preferred spots in the offensive zone, reducing angles and the speed with which offensive players go the the net. Such tactics - coaching, rely on a trade-off,
giving - up more shots while reducing the dangerous shots, the explosive attack and the odd man situations.

If you are prepared to compare the different strengths of teams and the different weaknesses of teams then I will look at the team aspect BUT this does not seem to be something that you wish to examine. You focus on save percentage and the other players stats and argue weak team. Simple, limited reasoning not willing to consider the complete team picture.

The save percentage stats you use are the public,global version they are NOT the broken down team stats that are internal and not released. The internal stats - depending on how obsessed the coach may be, breakdown all the aspects of the game. Save percentage is looked at for every situation, from various spot on the ice, high shots/low shots and so forth. This is also done for the opposition. This is also done by all teams in all major league sports

So the 1970-71 Canadines by your standards were a strong team even though during the season they finished 24 points behind Boston. Yet the Sabres during their play-off seasons with Hasek won their conference once and finished 6 - 15 points back of the winner during other seasons.But the Sabres were a weak team. Not congruent.

When Ken Dryden joined the team a few things changed. Dryden was a much bigger goalie than Rogatien Vachon, covering more net. He was also more durable and physically more able to withstand pressure at the net.

To use your rebound analogy. Rebounds mean that the goalie makes the first save which Dryden did better than Vachon. Dryden was also better at directing the rebounds away from the slot. Because of his size there was less visible net for the rebounds that wound up in the slot making it harder to score. So it comes down to the right goalie for the team at a given time which goes against this idea that you can interchange goalies.

When Nolan joined the Sabres it took him one season to figure out the team's strengths and weaknesses. He then set about building a team focusing on their strengths and eliminating weaknesses. He realized that facing more shots did not bother Hasek. So Nolan, followed by Ruff focused on reducing the quality of the shots as opposed to the quantity. Like Dryden for the Canadiens, Hasek was the right goaltender for the Sabres team.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
The team argument is still waiting for a workable definition from YOU as to what constitutes a strong or a weak team. Your point seems to be that because Hasek had an extremely high SV% and faced maybe 4-5 more shots per game than the other goalies in the league then Hasek was on a WEAK team.
Brodeur had a cast of consistent superstars in front of him almost at all times until recently, and recently, while winning Vezina trophies, he has not done a thing with them in the playoffs. you trashed Hasek's inability to get it done in the playoffs except when he went to a powerhouse team, while ignoring the fact that Brodeur was on a very strong team nearly his entire career.

It is literally PLAIN AS DAY that those Sabres teams were far weaker, and anyone who watched them agrees. A devils fan in this very thread just said that the devils in the last few years were FAR weaker than anything Brodeur had earlier in his career and that same Devils fan said that the recent teams are slightly better than those old Sabres squads.

Devilmademe said it right with this statement
I think we might have different definitions of "poor." If you are comparing Hasek's Sabres to all NHL teams in the league at the time, I think they were pretty average. If you are comparing them to just the 16 playoff teams, then yes, I agree they were quite poor other than in goal.

My interpretation, having watched the Sabres from the era play, is that they were a STRONG team because they managed to take away the oppositions offensive speed and other strengths thru superior positioning, keeping opposing players away from their preferred spots in the offensive zone, reducing angles and the speed with which offensive players go the the net. Such tactics - coaching, rely on a trade-off,
giving - up more shots while reducing the dangerous shots, the explosive attack and the odd man situations.
Absurd. The were nowhere near being a strong team. I find it difficult to believe you even watched that team play a single game based upon your description. The Sabres were a team that were constantly on their heels. In a way, you attempted to describe the manner in which they played, except that you made it sound like they were in control of the situation. They were not. The word for the Sabres was "Heels". They were constantly on their heels being pummeled, trying to play the game you were describing, but in much less control than implied.

One of the lowest scoring teams in a playoff spot, for the simple reason that they had no real offensively talented players short of Satan, who was not even top 20 in scoring. Defensively, the team had below average players as well.

It was Hasek thatmade them look good, kept them in games and well, kept them winning. Hasek, and ALL Hasek.

If you are prepared to compare the different strengths of teams and the different weaknesses of teams then I will look at the team aspect BUT this does not seem to be something that you wish to examine. You focus on save percentage and the other players stats and argue weak team. Simple, limited reasoning not willing to consider the complete team picture.
I have looked at the entire picture. There is nothing. ZERO. Absolutely nothing you can say that will convince me the Sabres were anything less than what I saw and what paper agrees with.

You are going to be in the vast minority if you try to convince anyone that those Sabres squads even remotely compared to the Devils cup squads.

Not a single bit of cup experience on that Sabres team during their 2 best years. Nobody(Literally) who had ever won a cup. No Savy veterans. No scoring, and a ragtag group of players who would have been 3rd liners on most other teams or bottom pairing defensemen. That is what constitutes a weak team.

You can revision all you want over how effectively their coaches got that ragtag group to perform, but in the end, they only ever won with Hasek in net. And when you replace those ragtag players with real talent(I.E Stevens, Niedermayer, Madden, Elias, Gomez, etc) they produce better results than the ragtag less talented group.
The save percentage stats you use are the public,global version they are NOT the broken down team stats that are internal and not released. The internal stats - depending on how obsessed the coach may be, breakdown all the aspects of the game. Save percentage is looked at for every situation, from various spot on the ice, high shots/low shots and so forth. This is also done for the opposition. This is also done by all teams in all major league sports
What does this have to do with anything? You do not have access to teams private statistics, thus, you are in no place to speak of them.
So the 1970-71 Canadines by your standards were a strong team even though during the season they finished 24 points behind Boston. Yet the Sabres during their play-off seasons with Hasek won their conference once and finished 6 - 15 points back of the winner during other seasons.But the Sabres were a weak team. Not congruent.
Yes, they won their division once, in a year when every team in that division was horribly weak.
And do you know why they won their division that year? Dominik Hasek. That's why. Which is why he pulled out a landslide victory for the Hart and Vezina Trophies. The Sabres Backup goalie lost twice as many games as he won. Anyone who watched that team that year said "Wow, look at how Hasek absolutely carries them". The voters concurred. If you replaced Hasek with, say, the 4th best goaltender in the league at the time, I would say they not only do not win their division, but do not make the playoffs. Hasek was that far ahead of the pack at the time.

Also, Let's not be comparing the 71 Habs to the Sabres. Its almost insulting. The 71 Habs were loaded with Dynasty talent and HHOF superstar players, and they finished with 97 points when the average team in the league had 78 points(And Dryden only played 6 games for them in the regular season. He was a significant upgrade over Vachon or Myre, and we all know it) It was a team good enough to finish in the upper echelons without Dryden, so obviously they were better with Dryden once he joined them in the playoffs.

The sabres were a team full of inconsistent weak players and in no way was it a good team.

When Nolan joined the Sabres it took him one season to figure out the team's strengths and weaknesses. He then set about building a team focusing on their strengths and eliminating weaknesses. He realized that facing more shots did not bother Hasek. So Nolan, followed by Ruff focused on reducing the quality of the shots as opposed to the quantity. Like Dryden for the Canadiens, Hasek was the right goaltender for the Sabres team.
Hasek would have been the right goaltender for any team.

For years everyone watched and commented on how he would win a cup if he had a real team in front of him. And guess what, he went to a real team and immediately helped them win a cup. He was such a strong goaltender in his prime that he would have helped any real talent win a cup.

This is getting annoying. All you keep doing is beating around the bush and sugar coating everything, and all you are doing is wearing me down, not because what you say makes sense, but because you try to continually bring up unrelated useless points.

Your revisionism on how strong the Sabres team was is not fooling anyone.

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Revisionist History

Brodeur had a cast of consistent superstars in front of him almost at all times until recently, and recently, while winning Vezina trophies, he has not done a thing with them in the playoffs. you trashed Hasek's inability to get it done in the playoffs except when he went to a powerhouse team, while ignoring the fact that Brodeur was on a very strong team nearly his entire career.

It is literally PLAIN AS DAY that those Sabres teams were far weaker, and anyone who watched them agrees. A devils fan in this very thread just said that the devils in the last few years were FAR weaker than anything Brodeur had earlier in his career and that same Devils fan said that the recent teams are slightly better than those old Sabres squads.

Devilmademe said it right with this statement

Absurd. The were nowhere near being a strong team. I find it difficult to believe you even watched that team play a single game based upon your description. The Sabres were a team that were constantly on their heels. In a way, you attempted to describe the manner in which they played, except that you made it sound like they were in control of the situation. They were not. The word for the Sabres was "Heels". They were constantly on their heels being pummeled, trying to play the game you were describing, but in much less control than implied.

One of the lowest scoring teams in a playoff spot, for the simple reason that they had no real offensively talented players short of Satan, who was not even top 20 in scoring. Defensively, the team had below average players as well.

It was Hasek thatmade them look good, kept them in games and well, kept them winning. Hasek, and ALL Hasek.

I have looked at the entire picture. There is nothing. ZERO. Absolutely nothing you can say that will convince me the Sabres were anything less than what I saw and what paper agrees with.

You are going to be in the vast minority if you try to convince anyone that those Sabres squads even remotely compared to the Devils cup squads.

Not a single bit of cup experience on that Sabres team during their 2 best years. Nobody(Literally) who had ever won a cup. No Savy veterans. No scoring, and a ragtag group of players who would have been 3rd liners on most other teams or bottom pairing defensemen. That is what constitutes a weak team.

You can revision all you want over how effectively their coaches got that ragtag group to perform, but in the end, they only ever won with Hasek in net. And when you replace those ragtag players with real talent(I.E Stevens, Niedermayer, Madden, Elias, Gomez, etc) they produce better results than the ragtag less talented group.

What does this have to do with anything? You do not have access to teams private statistics, thus, you are in no place to speak of them.

Yes, they won their division once, in a year when every team in that division was horribly weak.
And do you know why they won their division that year? Dominik Hasek. That's why. Which is why he pulled out a landslide victory for the Hart and Vezina Trophies. The Sabres Backup goalie lost twice as many games as he won. Anyone who watched that team that year said "Wow, look at how Hasek absolutely carries them". The voters concurred. If you replaced Hasek with, say, the 4th best goaltender in the league at the time, I would say they not only do not win their division, but do not make the playoffs. Hasek was that far ahead of the pack at the time.

Also, Let's not be comparing the 71 Habs to the Sabres. Its almost insulting. The 71 Habs were loaded with Dynasty talent and HHOF superstar players, and they finished with 97 points when the average team in the league had 78 points(And Dryden only played 6 games for them in the regular season. He was a significant upgrade over Vachon or Myre, and we all know it) It was a team good enough to finish in the upper echelons without Dryden, so obviously they were better with Dryden once he joined them in the playoffs.

The sabres were a team full of inconsistent weak players and in no way was it a good team.

Hasek would have been the right goaltender for any team.

For years everyone watched and commented on how he would win a cup if he had a real team in front of him. And guess what, he went to a real team and immediately helped them win a cup. He was such a strong goaltender in his prime that he would have helped any real talent win a cup.

This is getting annoying. All you keep doing is beating around the bush and sugar coating everything, and all you are doing is wearing me down, not because what you say makes sense, but because you try to continually bring up unrelated useless points.

Your revisionism on how strong the Sabres team was is not fooling anyone.

Again you do not define what you consider to be the Sabres two best seasons during Hasek's tenure. No players with Stanley Cup rings or experience. During Hasek's tenure with the Sabres the following teammates had won Stanley Cup rings elsewhere - Grant Fuhr, Craig Simpson, Ed Ronan, Petr Svoboda while Garry Galley, Bob Sweeney and Randy Burridge had gone to the finals.

How would this compare to the 1973-74 Flyers or 1979-80 Islanders. How many of Bernie Parent's or Bill Smith's teammates had previous Stanley Cup experience or won Stanley Cup rings?

How has this suddenly become a criteria?

You ingeniously admit that that teams/coaches keep their own statistics. You prefer to use partial data knowing that more data exists. I simply recognize that more data exists than is published so I refusee to give much, if any credit to incomplete data. Yet I get villified.

Last edited:

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Again you do not define what you consider to be the Sabres two best seasons during Hasek's tenure. No players with Stanley Cup rings or experience. During Hasek's tenure with the Sabres the following teammates had won Stanley Cup rings elsewhere - Grant Fuhr, Craig Simpson, Ed Ronan, Petr Svoboda while Garry Galley, Bob Sweeney and Randy Burridge had gone to the finals.
I did define what years I was looking at....specifically. The year Hasek carried them to the Conference finals and the year after. None of those players were present then.

Someone made the silly comment that Hasek could not get it done in the playoffs like Brodeur could so we mentioned where he carried them to the CF and finals single handedly.

How would this compare to the 1973-74 Flyers or 1979-80 Islanders. How many of Bernie Parent's or Bill Smith's teammates had previous Stanley Cup experience or won Stanley Cup rings?

How has this suddenly become a criteria?
Don't equivocate with us. Everyone knows experience is important criteria.

Its ALWAYS considered criteria by every major analyst to have Stanley cup experience and veterans on a team. Guys who have been there and know what to expect. Obviously there have been rare cases where an expansion team has gone all the way, I.E The flyers intimidating other teams through brutal violence, or a team that was loaded with superstar HHOF talent due to a direct build from expansion and an absorption of WHA talent , I.E the Isles.

The Sabres are neither of those things and its insulting to compare.

That's why every major news network, Analyst and broadcaster talks about "Picking up valuable cup winning experience at the deadline"

You are just trying to be difficult if you feign ignorance here.

You ingeniously admit that that teams/coaches keep their own statistics. You prefer to use partial data knowing that more data exists. I simply recognize that more data exists than is published so I refusee to give much, if any credit to incomplete data. Yet I get villified.
Cute cop out.
You assume such data exists, yet you have no access to it, so you use it as an excuse to just selectively use what data you want as you see fit, while disregarding anything else that hurts your case(Which at this point, is just about everything except wins):help:

Analysts use the data available, Broadcasters use the data available and voters use the data available, and they give a hell of a lot of credit to the generic Save% of goaltenders.

This is nothing more than a cop out by you so that you can just selectively ignore data.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
The Data Exists

I did define what years I was looking at....specifically. The year Hasek carried them to the Conference finals and the year after. None of those players were present then.

Someone made the silly comment that Hasek could not get it done in the playoffs like Brodeur could so we mentioned where he carried them to the CF and finals single handedly.

Don't equivocate with us. Everyone knows experience is important criteria.

Its ALWAYS considered criteria by every major analyst to have Stanley cup experience and veterans on a team. Guys who have been there and know what to expect. Obviously there have been rare cases where an expansion team has gone all the way, I.E The flyers intimidating other teams through brutal violence, or a team that was loaded with superstar HHOF talent due to a direct build from expansion and an absorption of WHA talent , I.E the Isles.

The Sabres are neither of those things and its insulting to compare.

That's why every major news network, Analyst and broadcaster talks about "Picking up valuable cup winning experience at the deadline"

You are just trying to be difficult if you feign ignorance here.

Cute cop out.
You assume such data exists, yet you have no access to it, so you use it as an excuse to just selectively use what data you want as you see fit, while disregarding anything else that hurts your case(Which at this point, is just about everything except wins):help:

Analysts use the data available, Broadcasters use the data available and voters use the data available, and they give a hell of a lot of credit to the generic Save% of goaltenders.

This is nothing more than a cop out by you so that you can just selectively ignore data.

The data exists - scouts use it at various levels, coaches gather it at various levels, teams hire video coaches to mine it. The stats that you have today like +/- were private until player's and agents leaked them because they were being used by team management in contract negotiations. The late Roger Neilson "Captain Video" was a pioneer in this area not only using video as a teaching method but mining the data.

Your selective use of talking heads and analysts is interesting. During the various play-off series this year you heard and will hear comments regarding a goalies strengths and weakness - high/low, glove side/stick side, etc. These comments are not randomly pulled from the air but are the result of data mined by breaking down the various stats. :nod: So the stats exist but are not available to everyone and when teams release them to talking heads they do so in general terms with some mis-direction.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
The data exists - scouts use it at various levels, coaches gather it at various levels, teams hire video coaches to mine it. The stats that you have today like +/- were private until player's and agents leaked them because they were being used by team management in contract negotiations. The late Roger Neilson "Captain Video" was a pioneer in this area not only using video as a teaching method but mining the data.

Your selective use of talking heads and analysts is interesting. During the various play-off series this year you heard and will hear comments regarding a goalies strengths and weakness - high/low, glove side/stick side, etc. These comments are not randomly pulled from the air but are the result of data mined by breaking down the various stats. :nod: So the stats exist but are not available to everyone and when teams release them to talking heads they do so in general terms with some mis-direction.

Keep dodging the argument bud. Its not like people haven't noticed.

The bottom line. Brodeur had hall of fame players and superstars around him making the team work better. Hasek did not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad