18. Stevens
19. Stastny
20. Federov
21. Bure
22. Lindros
23. Francis
24. Leetch
25. Selanne

HM: Robitaille, Lafontaine, Oates, Gartner, Sunin, Modano, Pronger, Niedermayer, Neely, Fuhr, Belfour

others to consider?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Brodeur over Hasek and Jagr? I do not agree with that. They both won Hart, Hasek twice. I mean Hasek was clearly better than Brodeur until 2005 or so. Jagr is also better than Brodeur imho.

Last edited:

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Interesting to see Hull ahead of Kurri on your list and I thought I had him higher than anyone, lol.....here's mine off the top of my head (ie, I reserve the right to alter it, lol) :P

Gretz
Mario
Ray
Roy
Lidstrom
Hasek
Mess
Jagr
Yzerman
Sakic
Kurri
Chelios
Coffey
Hull
Stastny
Fedorov
Forsberg
MacInnis
Langway

.....how many is that? lol

I'll fix it up later. :P

amnesiac*

Brodeur over Hasek and Jagr? I do not agree with that. They both won Hart, Hasek two times. I mean Hasek was clearly better than Brodeur until 2005 or so. Jagr is also better than Brodeur imho.

4 Vezinas, 3 Cups, all-time wins record (will be by a huge margain when he retires), and the most consistent goalie of all-time.

If Hasek played longer he would surely be ahead, but he didnt. For all we know Hasek wouldve been mediocre early in his career. Longevity/consistency is part of being a great athlete.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
4 Vezinas, 3 Cups, all-time wins record (will be by a huge margain when he retires), and the most consistent goalie of all-time.

If Hasek played longer he would surely be ahead, but he didnt. For all we know Hasek wouldve been mediocre early in his career.

The Wins record and amount of cups won is a combination team statistic, and the Devils were, well, a vastly superior team to the Sabres. Judging based on that is not only unfair, its basically closing your eyes to the truth.

Hasek has 6 Vezina's, 2 Hart's, 2 Pearson's and multiple ridiculously good team carrying playoff performances and 6 first team all star selections. To say he would not have been great in the years he was not in the NHL is foolhardy given his pre-NHL 3 golden stick awards. He dominated whatever league he was playing in.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Also, Bure over Leetch? That's got to be a joke.

my list:
1. Gretz
2. Lemieux
3. Hasek
4. Roy
5. Bourque
6. Lidstrom
7. Jagr
8. Messier
9. Sakic
10. Yzerman
11. Chelios
12. Brodeur
13. Coffey
14. Forsberg
15. Kurri
16. Hull
17. MacInnis
18. Stastny
19. Federov
20. Stevens
21. Francis
22. Leetch
23. Lindros
24. Selanne
25. Oates

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
#1 Gretzky
#2 Lemieux
#3 Bourque
#4 Hasek
#5 Roy
#6 Lidstrom
#7 Messier
#8 Sakic
#9 Yzerman
#10 Brodeur
#11 Chelios
#12 Coffey
#13 Stastny
#14 Macinnis
#15 Forsberg
#16 Kurri
#17 Stevens
#18 Leetch
#19 Gilmour
#20 Fedorov
#21 Oates
#22 Hull
#23 Francis
#24 Howe
#25 Belfour

If we are counting Langway, who started the NHL in 78/79(Saw him on a list) then he goes just ahead of Stevens. I counted Howe because his NHL started in 79/80, although he may disqualify because of his WHA years(So would Gretzky then)

Just under Belfour are guys like Fuhr, Lindros, etc

Edit: URK! I forgot to add Jagr. Jagr should be ahead of Messier

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
1. Gretzky
2. Lemieux
3. Roy
4. Bourque
5. Lidstrom
6. Hasek
7. Messier
8. Brodeur
9. Jagr
10. Sakic
11. Yzerman
12. Coffey
13. Chelios
14. Stevens
15. Kurri
16. Fedorov
17. Forsberg
18. Statsny
19. Hull
20. MacInnis
21. Leetch
22. Langway
23. Belfour
24. Oates
25. Gilmour

HM: Francis, Bure, Lindros, Selanne, M Howe, Pronger, Fuhr

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005

If Hasek played longer he would surely be ahead, but he didnt. For all we know Hasek wouldve been mediocre early in his career. Longevity/consistency is part of being a great athlete.
hasek had better longevity than brodeur.

hasek is older than roy, and retired last season. he was the best goalie in europe in the '80s.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
I just realized the same poster posted the same question in the "General" forum, and the results are as you would expect. Uninformed responses based completely on all time numbers, trophies and cups, without any regard for competition levels, strength of teams played for, etc

I remember the last time this came up in the general forum. A Bruins fan said Bourque was better than Lidstrom because he is the all time points man on defense.

The red wing fan responded by saying "That's because he played more in the high scoring era"

Then on the same thread, the same red wing fan justified Yzerman over Sakic because "Duh, Yzerman is 6th in all time points"

I am just going to avoid the headache that is the general section.

Some of the responses include:
where is datsyuk? Datsyuk is a better player now than chelios ever was. Crosby, ovechkin? WTF is statsny doing in there?
it is all personal, of course, but Lidstrom is the best defenseman I've ever seen. Granted I did not see Orr but something tells me he was like Mike Green.

Guys are putting Bure on their list, you're telling me Mats Sundin isn't in the same company as Pavel Bure? Bure could score goals but come on Mats did so much more. He's definitely in the same company as Selanne and Leetch as well.
The highest scoring left winger of all time doesn't make the top 25 since 1979? No way is Lindros higher. And Kayria had a bigger impact than Selanne did.
@Vic Rattlehead - Lidstrom has more Norris' than Bourque so why would you bring that up?

Last edited:

poise

Apr 5, 2008
1) wayne gretzky
2) mario lemieux
3) steve yzerman
4) mark messier
5) jaromir jagr
6) ray bourque
7) joe sakic
8) sergei makarov*
9) dominik hasek
10) patrick roy
11) peter stastny
12) jari kurri
13) vyacheslav fetisov*
14) brett hull
15) paul coffey
16) dale hawerchuk
17) denis savard
18) adam oates
19) ron francis
20) teemu selanne
21) nicklas lidstrom
22) chris chelios
23) peter forsberg
24) doug gilmour
25) pat lafontaine
sergei fedorov
eric lindros

*technically they count :laugh:

amnesiac*

1) wayne gretzky
2) mario lemieux
3) steve yzerman
4) mark messier
5) jaromir jagr
6) ray bourque
7) joe sakic
8) sergei makarov*
9) dominik hasek
10) patrick roy
11) peter stastny
12) jari kurri
13) vyacheslav fetisov*
14) brett hull
15) paul coffey
16) dale hawerchuk
17) denis savard
18) adam oates
19) ron francis
20) teemu selanne
21) nicklas lidstrom
22) chris chelios
23) peter forsberg
24) doug gilmour
25) pat lafontaine
sergei fedorov
eric lindros

Lidstrom that low and no Brodeur?

really?

BeauRoger

Jan 23, 2007
1) wayne gretzky
2) mario lemieux
3) steve yzerman
4) mark messier
5) jaromir jagr
6) ray bourque
7) joe sakic
8) sergei makarov*
9) dominik hasek
10) patrick roy
11) peter stastny
12) jari kurri
13) vyacheslav fetisov*
14) brett hull
15) paul coffey
16) dale hawerchuk
17) denis savard
18) adam oates
19) ron francis
20) teemu selanne
21) nicklas lidstrom
22) chris chelios
23) peter forsberg
24) doug gilmour
25) pat lafontaine
sergei fedorov
eric lindros

wow, do not agree with that list at all.

1. Gretzky
2. Lemieux
3. Roy
4. Lidstrom
5. Bourque
6. Hasek
7. Jagr
8. Brodeur
9. Messier
10. Sakic
11. Yzerman
12. Forsberg
13. Kurri
14. Coffey
15. Federov
16. Chelios
17. Stevens
18. Statsny
19. Hull
20. MacInnis
21. Leetch
22. Langway
23. Belfour
24. Oates
25. Sundin

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
hmm ironically (given the Ducks 2-0 lead) I'm wondering if Joe Thornton belongs on this list.

842 points in 836 games

Let's say he plays another 5 years at a PPG pace and averages 75 games each year.

That would give him 1217 career points and he has never played with another player on the top 25 list. (I think)

Imagine the points this guy would have racked up in the 1980s :amazed:

* edit...Thornton had a cup of coffee with Ray Bourque on the Bruins.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not sure if a guy like Doug Gilmour belongs on that list. Outside of 2 or 3 great seasons where he was elite, he was basically a Joe Nieuwendyk level type of a player. Conversely, a guy like Joe Thornton or Jarome Iginla has been way more dominant over the course of their careers.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
I'm not sure if a guy like Doug Gilmour belongs on that list. Outside of 2 or 3 great seasons where he was elite, he was basically a Joe Nieuwendyk level type of a player. Conversely, a guy like Joe Thornton or Jarome Iginla has been way more dominant over the course of their careers.

Gilmour's numbers may have been lower outside of his Toronto years, but that is because he was playing as a defensive center with lesser linemates on every team he played for. His numbers outside of Toronto were still excellent. Besides which, Thornton and Iginla only have 4 or so elite regular seasons themselves.

A feather in Gilmour's hat is his extreme playoff clutch play and great defensive play, which bumps him ahead of Thornton for certain and probably Iginla too. Iginla has that one terrific playoff run, but Gilmour has a lot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad