Prospect Info: Top 25 Habs Prospect Rankings – #14

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
:habs

#1 – Mikhail Sergachev (92.63% of the votes)
#2 – Nikita Scherbak (38.24% of the votes)
#3 – Michael McCarron (54.46% of the votes)
#4 – Artturi Lehkonen (51.33% of the votes)
#5 – Charles Hudon (50.71% of the votes)
#6 – Noah Juulsen (75.56% of the votes)
#7 – Martin Reway (47.83% of the votes)
#8 – Jacob De La Rose (40.52% of the votes)
#9 – William Bitten (66.00% of the votes)
#10 – Charlie Lindgren (39.62% of the votes)
#11 – Zach Fucale (56.55% of the votes)
#12 – Lukas Vejdemo (35.78% of the votes)
#13 – Victor Mete (41.67% of the votes)

GRADUATES

SVEN ANDRIGHETTO, DANIEL CARR, MIKE CONDON & PHILIP DANAULT.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I really don't know what's gonna happen to Nikita Scherbak.

He's still young but I believe this upcoming season with St John will tell us a lot about his potential.

The top 13 is on point so far. Hudon should be #3 or #4 imo. Interesting to see Bitten at #9 and Lindgren ahead of Fucale.

#Made a mistake and voted for Ryan Johnston. :facepalm:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I really don't know what's gonna happen to Nikita Scherbak.

He's still young but I believe this upcoming season with St John will tell us a lot about his potential.

Agreed! He had a injury in his first season in AHL last season. 23 pts in 48 games. Baby Habs will be better this year and Scherbak will play a big offensive role. Hope he takes the next step forward. Habs need his size and skill in the top 6 (2 or 3 years down the road)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think Scherback is a bit high at 2nd, if only because of who tend to really like him, but that ship has sailed.

Lernout again.
Evans, Bourque, Addison and Grégoire probably highlight the next group.

President Markov

Nov 10, 2015
Gatineau, Qc
Voted Lernout.

Would love to see him continue to develop. Plays such a punishing game and has a big frame, would be fun to see on a bottom pairing on a shutdown role. :yo:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Scherback is a bit high at 2nd, if only because of who tend to really like him, but that ship has sailed.

Lernout again.

Scherback was a high 1st round pick that slipped into Trevor T's hands due to the russian factor. There's no reason to think he's not a top prospect. His stock will rise or fall with his 2nd AHL season.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Lernout again.

He's 20 years old and finished last year hot after dealing with injuries and shifting between every forward position.. don't see how "that ship has sailed".

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Scherback was a high 1st round pick that slipped into Trevor T's hands due to the russian factor. There's no reason to think he's not a top prospect. His stock will rise or fall with his 2nd AHL season.

It should have already fallen a bit

He's 20 years old and finished last year hot after dealing with injuries and shifting between every forward position.. don't see how "that ship has sailed".

Ship has sailed, as in "we're voting on the best between guys like Lernout, Evans and Casey Staum". Well past Scherback.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It should have already fallen a bit

Ship has sailed, as in "we're voting on the best between guys like Lernout, Evans and Casey Staum". Well past Scherback.

Maybe McCarron and Hudon are more NHL ready than Scherback but this is a prospect ranking. McCarron is a 3rd liner and Hudon can be your 2C maybe. Scherback is a top 6 or bust! Don't use the injury to justify his fall in rankings. Now if he has a average or below year with the opportunity he will get this year, then he drops next year for sure.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Maybe McCarron and Hudon are more NHL ready than Scherback but this is a prospect ranking. McCarron is a 3rd liner and Hudon can be your 2C maybe. Scherback is a top 6 or bust! Don't use the injury to justify his fall in rankings. Now if he has a average or below year with the opportunity he will get this year, then he drops next year for sure.

My point was -- he really should've been better in the AHL last year. Despite the injuries and the lack of a regular position which is no fault of his own.

It was mostly in relation to McCarron and Lehkonen. Not Hudon.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Voted Lernout.

Would love to see him continue to develop. Plays such a punishing game and has a big frame, would be fun to see on a bottom pairing on a shutdown role. :yo:

I'm hoping to see Lernout play a more punishing game this year with the hopefully added confidence of appearing in an NHL game and getting a taste of the future. He threw some big hits last year but wasn't really what I would call punishing at all.

He's also fine at moving the puck. I also think he may have more offense than he showed so far.

Perhaps, I didn't really notice much in the way of offensive abilities last year but to be honest I often just didn't notice him at all. He went from the 3rd pairing to the 2nd pairing and it didn't impact him from what I recall, he just went out and did his job but in a unflashy way so that when watching 60-70 games you tend to forget about him much of the time. That said, it's impressive that he was able to jump from the WHL to the 2nd pairing in the AHL and do well. Hopefully he takes another step forward this year in his development, so it will be interesting to see how much he can progress.

My point was -- he really should've been better in the AHL last year. Despite the injuries and the lack of a regular position which is no fault of his own.

It was mostly in relation to McCarron and Lehkonen. Not Hudon.

I wouldn't say that at all. this is what I posted in another thread,

Scherbak is nothing like Kostitsyn who I watched in the AHL at 19 as well. Kostitsyn was way more raw, and looked lost in his own end but was stronger then Scherbak. Scherbak's passing/playmaking are a lot better then Kostitsyn's was at that age. In the AHL this year, you could often see Scherbak make just a sick pass that lesser skilled linemates just couldn't convert. For me I was disappointed in how much I overrated his lack of strength, it was very apparent that it's a big concern, he's got to get stronger especially the lower body as he was just pushed off the puck way too easily.

Plus his defensive game was a mess, although being moved to the toughest forward position just after returning from injury and having only played in a small handful of games as a pro while the rest of the league was in mid season form just seems like a really terrible way to develop your best prospect that was 19 for half the season. Or at least it put way more pressure on him then you would think an organization would want to do.

Just look at his stats. 48 games, 23 pts, which is a ppg of just under half a point per game. But in the final 22 games, just under half the season he played, he had 15 pts, which was good for a .68 ppg which over 76 games would be 52 pts, 5 less then Hudon had in his rookie year although he was 6 months older at the time.

Now keep in mind he had a major knee injury over the summer, so he wasn't at 100% to start the year, starts the season with DLR and Dumont and the line looks terrible. First 3 games no pts, the next 5 he has 3 pts, then gets injured, then comes back 18 days later for 1 game and gets injured about half way through that game. Then comes back after just playing about half a game over an 82 day span and goes 3 games, 0 pts but then gets 3 pts in the next 4 games. I believe it was after that on 1/30 or so they moved him to Center. 3 games no pts, then gets 2 pts in 2 games, then 0 in 5 games. But then he starts getting his legs under him and adjusting to the new position, gets 7 pts in the next 5 games and overall picks up 15 in 22 games. One problem with the numbers he put up at the end of the season were that he had 15 pts in 10 games and 0 pts in 12 games. Granted he was also moved from Center to LW for a few games for whatever reason (a position I don't recall hearing him play since we drafted him) and then back to center and then back to RW at times as well.

So consistency along with the injuries plagued him. In his total 48 games, which should really be 47 1/2 but in that time, 30 of those games he had 0 pts and 18 games he had 23 pts.

As someone that watched most of his games, he showed flashes of high skill and he has the frame that if he finds a way to add mass and strength to, it should help him greatly. His defensive game at center is a hot mess, not sure if he will be able to stick at that position in the NHL, at least if we have a defensive minded coach still. But he can do things with the puck that not a lot of 20 year olds can. The lack of strength was a real concern and while I didn't notice it so much at the time, the lack of consistency is jaw dropping. I think most should give him a pass on last year due to 3 injuries, missed off season, starting the year on a terrible line, adjusting to new positions while not even fully back from injuries. That said he's going to have to find a way to produce more offense more consistently, improve his defensive game and get stronger. If he does that we have one heck of a prospect on our hands, if not we could very well have a bust on our hands. We'll find out in the next few years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm hoping to see Lernout play a more punishing game this year with the hopefully added confidence of appearing in an NHL game and getting a taste of the future. He threw some big hits last year but wasn't really what I would call punishing at all.

Perhaps, I didn't really notice much in the way of offensive abilities last year but to be honest I often just didn't notice him at all. He went from the 3rd pairing to the 2nd pairing and it didn't impact him from what I recall, he just went out and did his job but in a unflashy way so that when watching 60-70 games you tend to forget about him much of the time. That said, it's impressive that he was able to jump from the WHL to the 2nd pairing in the AHL and do well. Hopefully he takes another step forward this year in his development, so it will be interesting to see how much he can progress.

I wouldn't say that at all. this is what I posted in another thread,

As someone that watched most of his games, he showed flashes of high skill and he has the frame that if he finds a way to add mass and strength to, it should help him greatly. His defensive game at center is a hot mess, not sure if he will be able to stick at that position in the NHL, at least if we have a defensive minded coach still. But he can do things with the puck that not a lot of 20 year olds can. The lack of strength was a real concern and while I didn't notice it so much at the time, the lack of consistency is jaw dropping. I think most should give him a pass on last year due to 3 injuries, missed off season, starting the year on a terrible line, adjusting to new positions while not even fully back from injuries. That said he's going to have to find a way to produce more offense more consistently, improve his defensive game and get stronger. If he does that we have one heck of a prospect on our hands, if not we could very well have a bust on our hands. We'll find out in the next few years.

Didn't know Scherbak was tried out at center (thought he was natural RW). If would be a nice surprise if he can play center down the road in the NHL! Hope he stays away from injuries in his 2nd AHL season! First test is habs try-out camp. Typical russian... lack of effort it seems but hope he proves us wrong. I agree, he shows promise and has potential to be a real steal in the end of the 1st round.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I wish I knew more about these names. As of now, the only one I'm really sold on is Sergachev. I'll tune in later.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
lernout bad/average in ahl. evans destroy ncaa.

1. AHL >>>> NCAA

2. Evans destroyed the NCAA? When? Connor destroyed the NCAA.

PS: Oh and before you bring linemates, Compher and Motte both doubled their previous year production playing with Connor.

Evans had a good year, but he did not by any mean destroy the NCAA.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Not to mention, Lernout was a young AHL'er last season. If that excuse was valid for Sherback, then it has to be for Lernout.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not to mention, Lernout was a young AHL'er last season. If that excuse was valid for Sherback, then it has to be for Lernout.

Lernout was 20 when the season started, that's normal for most CHL prospects as first year players in the AHL. Scherbak's excuses were injury related and a new position after missing most of the season. Yes he was just 2 days away from being forced back to the WHL and he was the youngest player on the team aside from the late season call ups from Bourque, Addison and Audette.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
I'm surprised Mete was so low. DLR also seems to be rather high for a guy who is a 3rd liner at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad