Top 25 defencemen in the NHL

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I'm gonna come across as a massive homer, but I'm not sure how Klingberg isn't in all of these top 25's. His "defensive issues" are vastly overstated (average, not bad) and he's one of the top offensive threats from the blue line in the league.

147 points in 227 career games and not even 25 yet.

A Stars' bounce back season will help JK in the court of league-wide opinion (as will not having to carry Lindell's rookie dead weight all year)

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I bolded the ones in which you are blatantly wrong right now. A few more are debatable (Klefbom and Werenski). Hope this helps!

So Jones has one good season where his advanced stats were worse, and his actual stats were barely better, with a far superior team and taking weaker competition, and he's automatically better than Giordano? You can make a case he'll be better in the future, but not currently. Fowler being better than Giordano is a joke. Fowler is not a top 30 D, he's not a 1D both in the 30-60-90-120-150-180 model nor in the impact model. Lindholm is better defensively, but Giordano's offense and competition quality blows Lindholm out of the water. Klefbom's impact on his team is insane, and I agree he's a very underrated D. But his sample isn't strong enough to make him a 1D in either models yet. Werenski has a chance of surpassing Giordano, but he's not there yet and he hasn't proven enough thus far. Giordano is only worse defensively than Lindholm and his offense is usually better than everyone mentioned, so he's still the better Dman. Also might as well consider Jones better than Weber.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'm gonna come across as a massive homer, but I'm not sure how Klingberg isn't in all of these top 25's. His "defensive issues" are vastly overstated (average, not bad) and he's one of the top offensive threats from the blue line in the league.

147 points in 227 career games and not even 25 yet.

A Stars' bounce back season will help JK in the court of league-wide opinion (as will not having to carry Lindell's rookie dead weight all year)

I think he's a top 25 D, but exactly 25 or at best 20th. Klingberg takes a lot of easy quality competition with easy team mates, and produces a lot on the power play. His defense against weaker competition is great, but against tougher ones, he's exposed a lot, so it averages out. Yes every Dman has more trouble against tougher competition, but even non-elite defensive players such as Karlsson, Subban, Josi, etc. perform miles better against tough competition over Klingberg.

That being said Klingberg's zone adjusted 5 on 5 production is 7th in the league out of 119 players from 2014-2017. He's still an elite producer, but at the same time the Stars have been one of the highest scoring teams since then, and Klingberg takes very easy competition with great team mates. His defense is easily worse than a lot of players as well. For example Hamilton who has done better than Klingberg entirely offensively since that time period, and is arguably better defensively and has actually played against tough competition, I wouldn't even consider a top 25 D, because his defense isn't great, and he rarely plays PK. Klingberg played less PK in 2015-2016 entirely than some players played PK minutes in a single game....

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Having just watched him in the finals, I refuse to believe Josi is better than Letang. Letang is top 10 at worst, but I have him in the top 5. He transforms the way Pittsburgh plays.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Having just watched him in the finals, I refuse to believe Josi is better than Letang. Letang is top 10 at worst, but I have him in the top 5. He transforms the way Pittsburgh plays.

He isn't.

Letang is better on both ends of the ice.

I prefer Josi on the PP, but that's about it.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Letang's durability prevents him from being rated higher

Also, Josi had a great playoff run.

6 goals and 8 assist in 22 games, I think led defensemen in goals

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: