Top-200 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 16

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I didn't have the chance to get involved in last week's thread, where there was a lot of discussion on Carey Price. However, I'm going to structure this post as a response to some of the common objections to the idea of Price being the best goalie of his generation and a possible Top 200 player. I'm not specifically attributing these to any individual poster, so if you feel misrepresented from something you posted don't get offended. I can assure you that these sentiments all reflect opinions which have been voiced many times by hockey fans.

"Isn't Carey Price a one season wonder?"

There probably isn't a single opinion that more fundamentally shows an inability to evaluate goaltending in the modern era than thinking that Carey Price had only one good season.

Best goaltenders, 2013-14 to 2016-17 (min. 100 GP):

GoalieGPSV%
Price1990.928
Talbot1860.922
Gibson1180.922
Bobrovsky2090.922
Holtby2500.921
Crawford2290.921
Rask2570.921
Bishop2250.920
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Yes, Price had one season where he won the Hart/Vezina double and nothing that approached that in terms of awards recognition. But the problem with over-emphasizing high Vezina finishes in a 30-team league is that you often end up sorting all non-Vezina nominated goalies into the same bucket, when in fact there is a clear gap between a consistent top-5ish goalie and an average starter, and that value becomes massive over the course of a full career. If you look at someone like Roberto Luongo, for example, 60% of his career GSAA came in seasons where he was not a Vezina nominee.

Until very recently, Price absolutely had the elite consistency that you want to see out of a great goalie.

"Why do hockey people think Price is so great when his stats aren't that impressive?"

The recent controversy over Price's continued high ranking in player polls is amusing to me, because I find it interesting how everyone gets so offended the one time that a goalie gets reputational credit in the way that defencemen have had pretty much forever.

Among people who are very into analyzing goalie technique, it is not an uncommon opinion that Carey Price is the best technical goalie to ever play hockey. Not by the standard of performance relative to era, of course, just in a vacuum. That is an unfair standard when comparing directly against historical goalies, but it still says something about Price that he is widely seen as the platonic ideal of a modern goalie.

As far as stats vs. reputation, just like I already argued for Grant Fuhr there are hidden injury-related factors that have significantly impacted Price's career. It is noticeable in Price's statistical record that he has a number of periods of extremely terrible play, way worse than you would expect just from random variance given his overall performance level, and they pretty much all have clear links to injuries. There's the ankle injury in December 2008 that derailed Price's initially very promising sophomore season, whatever lower body problem he had in March/April 2013 when observers were widely speculating about his health status and he later wasn't able to finish the postseason, the famous injury in 2015-16 that cost him most of the season and ended one of the greatest goaltending runs of all-time, and the double whammy of his disastrous 2017-18 season (a nagging lower body injury early on and a concussion later on in February).

PeriodStartEndGPSV%GSAA
HealthyOct-07Dec-08770.91821.9
Injury recoveryDec-08Feb-09120.870-12.0
Probably injuredFeb-09Apr-09190.899-6.1
HealthyOct-09Feb-132050.91936.7
Probably injuredMar-13Apr-13270.892-14.7
HealthyOct-13Oct-151580.92969.0
Injury recoveryNov-15Nov-1530.9271.0
HealthyOct-16Apr-17680.92421.7
Probably injuredOct-17Nov-17110.877-11.1
Probably healthyNov-17Feb-18320.9131.2
Injury recoveryMar-18Apr-1860.874-7.2
HealthyOct-18Aug-201340.91520.6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
From 2010-11 to 2016-17 (his age 23 to 29 seasons), a healthy Price had 384 straight regular season and playoff GP at .925, which definitely stands out from the crowd, even in the competitive current era. If it was just a matter of who was the most talented goalie in their extended primes, I'd take Carey Price over every goalie currently available for voting.

There's actually a pretty obvious comparable for Carey Price, a goalie already voted onto this list who did the following from age 23 to 32:

GoalieAgeGPSV%GSAAGSAA/GP
Healthy Price23-325050.921128.60.25
Healthy Lundqvist23-327270.921226.20.31
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
To be fair, I knocked out the only period I know of where Lundqvist was significantly injured (when he had a hip flexor injury at the end of 2006, which was a key factor in him getting ventilated in the playoffs). Lundqvist is ahead, but the gap is a lot closer than I think most people have them based on reputation. I also think the GSAA number likely flatters Lundqvist a bit (I don't quite trust league average numbers from 2006 and 2007, as it seems clear that some teams adapted much more quickly than others to the new rules environment). To me, Carey Price is pretty much a more injury-prone version of Henrik Lundqvist, with a bit less longevity because he is still mid-career.

And just as a quick aside, if you don't think Price's Vezina record is all that impressive, welcome to the reality of playing on a non-elite team in the 30+ team, salary cap era. Fuhr and Smith don't really have better awards records anyway, and they certainly had weaker competition. The talent pool consideration is fairly important here, considering that Price's Vezina record against other Canadian goalies is 1-1-2-2-3-4-4, making him competitive against any historical Canadian goalies he would be up against from here on out in this project.

"Why should international play be considered when Canada is stacked and being the Canadian starting goalie can be kind of random?"

International tournaments can be a small sample size, of course, but the most important thing (particularly when it comes to goalies) is being selected to play in the first place. Starting for Canada at a best-on-best tournament is actually a pretty big deal. Ten out of the 14 starters were guys who made the Top 40 HOH goalies list, leaving just Pete Peeters in 1984, Bill Ranford in 1991, and Price in 2014 and 2016. The early '80s were a down period for Canadian goalies, while without Roy being injured and Fuhr coming off of a suspension it's questionable whether Ranford would have even made the team, much less been the starter. The length of Price's reign as presumptive Canadian international starting goalie is also very competitive against historical goalies, although of course you have to take talent pool into account.

"What about the playoffs? I want to see some signature runs!"

There are two things to note about Carey Price's playoffs:

1. Virtually all of his "underperformance" came during his age 20-22 seasons, when nearly every goalie of his generation would not be starting games in the springtime:

Age 23-32 in the playoffs:
Carey Price: 51 GP, .924
Henrik Lundqvist: 111 GP, .923

2. Playoff team success in the salary cap era is far more dependent on luck than in previous eras

We aren't that far into the salary cap era, but I think it's fair to say that there is a trend developing of elite goalies being much less likely to change teams. The last 12 consecutive Stanley Cup winning goalies all never played a single game for another team prior to their Cup wins. Compare that to 17 of 36 Cup-winning goalies having previously played for another NHL franchise from 1968 to 2004.

If you look at the elite group of goalies in the post-2005 period, Luongo and Bobrovsky are pretty much the only ones to change teams before the age of 33 since the lockout. Guys like Lundqvist, Fleury, Miller, Price, Rinne, Quick and Rask either never changed teams or only did so in their later careers. My money is on that pattern continuing, given that Vasilevskiy and Gibson are already signed through their age 33 seasons. In the past, teams were able to fairly easily go out and get an elite goalie in their prime as the missing piece. Patrick Roy was 30 when he went to Colorado, Ed Belfour was 32 when he went to Dallas, etc. Now, they probably don't have enough salary cap room to do so. In the past, if you're a great goalie on a terrible team (Gump Worsley is both a good and relevant example here), then over a long career you'll still probably get a chance at some point to move to a good team and show what you can do. In the modern era, lots of guys won't ever get that opportunity (or they might get one or two shots at +1000 odds or something like that, whereas in the past an elite team might start the year as +300 Cup favourites). As a result, I think it's very unfair to give somebody no playoff credit just because they don't have any SCF appearances.

There are a lot of really selective numbers used here. When he was healthy. At his peak compared to all other goalies during his peak years. Playoffs when he wasn't young. Regular season until very recently (last 4 years?).

But I think this is the biggest difference in the views on Price:

"Among people who are very into analyzing goalie technique, it is not an uncommon opinion that Carey Price is the best technical goalie to ever play hockey."

As someone who doesn't know a lot about goalie technique, I don't care if Price has perfect technique when the puck goes through his 5 hole or under glove.

ContrarianGoaltender

Feb 28, 2007
tcghockey.com
There are a lot of really selective numbers used here. When he was healthy. At his peak compared to all other goalies during his peak years. Playoffs when he wasn't young. Regular season until very recently (last 4 years?).

When he was healthy: I did the same thing for Grant Fuhr, and I'd make the same adjustment for every goalie. Injuries have a demonstrable effect on performance. I do agree that some of the results-focused people don't quite see eye to eye with those of us who are a bit more focused on talent (although I'm a bit surprised, as I thought you were more on the peak/talent side of things?).

At his peak: This isn't one of those weird results that only works if you carefully select the right endpoints. League average save percentage has been fairly consistent since 2007-08, and peak Price is right up there with anyone if you look at their best ~200 GP.

Let's compare Price to Tim Thomas, for example, given that Thomas would have had the best statistical peak of anyone:

GoaliePeriodGPSASVSV%LgAvg
ThomasPeak200608456600.9300.911
ThomasRest226673861350.9110.908
PricePeak200598455570.9290.914
PriceRest50714926136170.9120.911
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Adjust for team defence, and I'm far from convinced that Thomas actually beats Price here. Even if we think it's close, that absolutely gives Price a historically significant peak, over a very solid sample size.

Playoffs when he wasn't young: This is completely justified. For Price, 21% of his career playoff minutes played came when he was under the age of 22. In comparison, if you take Price out of the goalie sample then only 3.5% of total playoff minutes played since 2005 were by a goalie younger than age 22. As an elite prospect, Price had some early career growing pains at the NHL level that most other guys don't have in this era, because they don't even get a chance to start at that age. It doesn't make sense to me to judge him for that, in the same way that 20 years from now I'm not going to care about this season for Carter Hart as long as he develops into a good goalie over the next decade.

And I said recently because I mean recently. As a Montreal Canadiens fan, the first time I ever got seriously concerned about Carey Price was last year, so as far as I'm concerned it's only been 2 seasons of questionable play on his end without obvious injury factors being involved.

For context, I was among the stats guys who were piling dirt on Pekka Rinne's career around 2014 or so, and then he surprised us all by bouncing back with several elite seasons in the his mid-thirties, including a Vezina and a trip to the SCF. That is because it turns out that his main issue was injuries, not talent. Part of the problem with rating Carey Price right now is that we don't know if he's done as an elite performer, or if he is just in the middle of a Rinne-esque blip. But even disregarding all that, I still think there's more than enough in his career (he has 707 career GP, after all) to support a relatively high ranking.

But I think this is the biggest difference in the views on Price:

"Among people who are very into analyzing goalie technique, it is not an uncommon opinion that Carey Price is the best technical goalie to ever play hockey."

As someone who doesn't know a lot about goalie technique, I don't care if Price has perfect technique when the puck goes through his 5 hole or under glove.

I don't disagree that people rate goalies based on different criteria. But I can assure you that I rate goalies primarily by performance, and I still have Price higher than most.

That said, I am more focused on a player's prime and I am extremely willing to forgive players for injuries, wartime and any other unusual scenarios specifically related to era (for example, I'd be very tempted to rank Carl Brewer #1 this round, because his peak looks pretty spectacular to me and I can't imagine that, say, a 1990s version of Carl Brewer would ever walk away from a $6 million or so contract because of a dispute with his coach).

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Blake had a six-year run ('98 to '03) where he was around the 5th best defenseman in the world. Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Pronger were obviously at a different level.

niedermayer, 2003 to 2007? absolutely

but 98 to 03? i don’t think anybody thought niedermayer was close to blake’s level, let alone above it

i think the guy you’d put in blake’s tier, below pronger and lidstrom but above gonchar and co, is 98 to 2003 eric desjardins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad