Prospect Info: Top 20 Flyers Prospects(#1)

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
In the first thread, can we decide what this will be based off of? Where they are right now (aka how quickly they'll make the Flyers) or what their ceiling is (how good they COULD be).

I'd prefer ceiling, if I were to cast a vote.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
In the first thread, can we decide what this will be based off of? Where they are right now (aka how quickly they'll make the Flyers) or what their ceiling is (how good they COULD be).

I'd prefer ceiling, if I were to cast a vote.

I think you have to take into account ceiling and the probability of that player hitting that ceiling. If you go pure ceiling, Morin is #1. If you take into account probability, than Laughton's probably #1.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I think you have to take into account ceiling and the probability of that player hitting that ceiling. If you go pure ceiling, Morin is #1. If you take into account probability, than Laughton's probably #1.

I'll buy this. Ceiling + Floor + Likelihood of either.

hockeyphan25

Aug 28, 2005

I'd say it shoud be the guy you'd be most hesitant to trade assuming the same depth at all positions. I beleive this would have the same results as taking both ceiling and probability of reaching it into account.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Still Laughton until further notice. Morin has an interesting mix of size and ability. He needs a continuation in the system. We'll see. I love Hagg, more than Morin right now though while he carries his own risk.

JoeFlyer

Jul 3, 2011
UK
The inclusion of Laughton probably makes it a no-brainer. However I'd probably go with Hagg second. Sounds like his game is pretty good all round already just his consistancy is the issue. I'd expect that likely to work out in the course of normal development alongside his skills to generally improve.

Morin sounds like he's likely to be a good player just not with the offensive upside. Still an important player for a team but I just think Hagg probably is more overall to contribute. Potentially be a good pairing in the future?

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I picked morin simply because I believe he has the highest ceiling. I just believe that your best prospect, logically, has to be the player who the most potential. Laughton is closer to the NHL though.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Best prospect is whatever you define it to be. If you value a high ceiling more than a guy who is more likely to reach his potential, go with that. Or you could do a middle road of the two, it's whatever you perceive to be the best.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
This list looks a whole lot better than it did at this time last year. Both in terms of top end and depth. I remember getting to 5 last year and being all "Yikes"

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
One way to look at it is to decide which player you think would have the most value in a trade. I follow rankings for baseball prospects and that's a method that seems to make sense. Prospects are usually ranked based on a combination of ceiling/floor/chance to reach ceiling. However much each of those things is valued is up to the person doing the ranking.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
1. Laughton
2. Morin
3. Hagg
4. Gostisbehere
5. Stolarz
6. Cousins
7. Straka
8. McGinn
9. Noebels
10. Leier

I went with the middle ground model.

This is essentially mine except for 2 changes

1. Morin
2. Laughton
3. Hagg
4. Gostisbehere
5. Stolarz
6. Straka
7. Cousins
8. McGinn
9. Noebels
10. Leier

While I think cousins has a better shot at making the NHL, I think that straka has the potential to be a top 6 player.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
Why did Columbus let Straka go? 2nd round pedigree, seemed to look good at prospects camp. Seems like someone they would want to hold on to.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Why did Columbus let Straka go? 2nd round pedigree, seemed to look good at prospects camp. Seems like someone they would want to hold on to.

Draft player, regress, regress more, not sign.

His regression, however, did correlate with some injuries and a significant coaching change, but surprising none the less.

Pretty much the same thing with Alt.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
I went with Laughton. I agree with the poster who said to consider the trade value of each player. That made it easier to decide for me.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Went with Morin. His ceiling is highest...which in my book makes him the most untradeable. I don't know how to devise a "middle of the road" formula and then apply it to each player. Just going off ceiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad