Value of: Top-2/3 LD to the Habs

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Hi there, the Habs are looking for a top 2-3 LD to better their roster in time for the playoffs. It could be an expiring UFA-to-be, an older player. As long as they are good enough as a 2-3 D that plays on left side.

The Habs have the following available (alphabetical order; obviously all with different values - so be mindful when making your proposal):

Better prospects:
Brook
Fleury
Guhle
Harris
Mysak
Norlinder
Poehling
Struble
1st 2021, 2nds, other roster picks
and more... (only Caufield is a no-no)

Roster players:
Armia
Chiarot
Danault
Drouin (though I’m very reluctant since he’s been having a quietly solid year)
Edmundson
Lehkonen
Mete
Tatar
(We would listen on other roster players, with the sole exceptions being Kotkaniemi, Romanov and Suzuki who are off the table barring a massive overpayment)

For cap purposes (if needed):
Byron
Kulak

Here are some examples of some players we were looking at:
- Vince Dunn (not sure if he fits the bill though)
- Mattias Ekholm
- OEL
- Cam Fowler
- Mark Giordano (is he still a top 2-3?)
- Erik Gustafsson (not sure if he fits the bill though)
- Noah Hanifin
- Nick Leddy (is he still a top 2-3? Has he rebounded?)
- Brady Skjei (not sure if he fits the bill though)
and more..!

Last edited:
Reactions: abo9

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
When you say 2-3 are you talking #2 or #3Dman overall who played on left side or a mid/ bottom pair LD 4-5 overall Dman

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
When you say 2-3 are you talking #2 or #3Dman overall who played on left side or a mid/ bottom pair LD 4-5 overall Dman

Not sure which he meant, but we need someone who can skate well and play with weber.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
#2-3 dman overall who plays on the left side, hence why I wrote “As long as they are good enough as a 2-3 D that plays on left side” in the OP. Definitely not a 3rd pairing lol, we have enough of those.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Fowler would probably be a pretty ideal fit for the Habs. The big stumbling block there is his NTC which severely limits the number of teams he can be dealt to without his consent. It's fair to question whether he'd be interested in moving to Montreal as an American who has spent the last decade in SoCal.

I'm also not sure if it's a great idea for the Ducks to move Fowler until they can be sure they can get Lindholm signed to a new extension. In order to properly bring Drysdale and any other young D along, you need veteran insulation in front of/around them. Right now with Lindholm and Manson having only one year left to UFA, Hakanpaa also expiring this summer...if the Ducks trade Fowler they don't have any proven top 4 D signed beyond next season. Need to avoid heaping too much on Drysdale's shoulders too quickly.

Trade Manson at this year's deadline, protect Lindholm, Fowler and Mahura/Larsson for expansion. Sign Hakanpaa to a new deal after the ED.

Lindholm - Drysdale
Fowler - Hakanpaa
Mahura - Shattenkirk - Curran
^for next season

Once Lindholm is locked up long term, perhaps then you look at moving Fowler sometime before the 22-23. By then hopefully one of the other young D are pushing for top 4 minutes, possibly even another top pick from the '21 draft.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Might as well cross Ekholm off. Preds are grasping onto a playoff spot amidst half the team being injured and Ekholm has been a huge part of that. Habs fans aren't going to offer a package interesting enough for Preds fans to consider and Preds fans adamantly against trading Ekholm will come in asking for Caufield, Romanov and your next 3 1sts. Nothing new to explore here.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Been good and solid. Obviously not what he use to be, but still playing over 20 minutes a night with no problem.
Price wise I’m not sure.
What about

Norlinder/Harris + Chiarot + Byron + 1st for Keith?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Would try my luck with Ekholm if possible, but Fowler or Keith would be ok alternative.
But I'd pay a good price for Ek.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
#2-3 dman overall who plays on the left side, hence why I wrote “As long as they are good enough as a 2-3 D that plays on left side” in the OP. Definitely not a 3rd pairing lol, we have enough of those.

Then Caufield has to be available...that crap ain’t doing it

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Leddy could be available in the off season. However, I’m sure Lou will ask for someone of quality not on a terrible contract back in return (aka Paul Byron). I’d see him moved for cap purposes if it’s determined that Seattle won’t take him if they expose him or they need to clear some cap to sign other players.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Then Caufield has to be available...that crap ain’t doing it
Nope. No Caufield. Unless we’re talking about a young cost controlled LD that can be a perfect partner for Weber now, which no one will offer.

It didn’t cost the Leafs a prospect like Caufield to acquire Muzzin...

Reactions: abo9 and Mrfenn92

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Fowler would probably be a pretty ideal fit for the Habs. The big stumbling block there is his NTC which severely limits the number of teams he can be dealt to without his consent. It's fair to question whether he'd be interested in moving to Montreal as an American who has spent the last decade in SoCal.

I'm also not sure if it's a great idea for the Ducks to move Fowler until they can be sure they can get Lindholm signed to a new extension. In order to properly bring Drysdale and any other young D along, you need veteran insulation in front of/around them. Right now with Lindholm and Manson having only one year left to UFA, Hakanpaa also expiring this summer...if the Ducks trade Fowler they don't have any proven top 4 D signed beyond next season. Need to avoid heaping too much on Drysdale's shoulders too quickly.

Trade Manson at this year's deadline, protect Lindholm, Fowler and Mahura/Larsson for expansion. Sign Hakanpaa to a new deal after the ED.

Lindholm - Drysdale
Fowler - Hakanpaa
Mahura - Shattenkirk - Curran
^for next season

Once Lindholm is locked up long term, perhaps then you look at moving Fowler sometime before the 22-23. By then hopefully one of the other young D are pushing for top 4 minutes, possibly even another top pick from the '21 draft.
Could lindholm be traded and you keep Manson maybe ?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Lol, you're crazy. Havs aren't trading a 1st and an A prospect for an old guy like Keith
I can’t see that happening either . Bergevin ain’t selling futures for someone that old . Lindholm is only 27 though .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad